Def Leppard Summer Tour w/Styx and Tesla

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Def Leppard Summer Tour w/Styx and Tesla

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 am

I don't like Styx for the bill. And I remember seeing Tesla open for Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Good package. Would be even better if Leppard forgot Pour Some Sugar On Me and Make Love Like A Man were ever part of their catalog let alone play them live. :shock:
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:10 pm

AR wrote:Good package. Would be even better if Leppard forgot Pour Some Sugar On Me and Make Love Like A Man were ever part of their catalog let alone play them live. :shock:

Rumor has it that for this tour Styx will performing these two songs instead. Tommy was quoted as saying he is going "Styxify" these two awesome songs.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby No Surprize » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:53 pm

AR wrote:Good package. Would be even better if Leppard forgot Pour Some Sugar On Me and Make Love Like A Man were ever part of their catalog let alone play them live. :shock:

When I seen them with KISS, they MLLAM wasn't in their set. And their not going to omit PSSOM from their set. The MILF'S would storm the stage! I'm not enamored with the triple bill though unless this show starts at 6 PM. And I would have picked someone else for the openers, not a big fan of either one.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Saw Styx with Journey and REO and that was enough for me, definitely want to see Def Leppard again though
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby No Surprize » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 pm

ebake02 wrote:Saw Styx with Journey and REO and that was enough for me, definitely want to see Def Leppard again though

And those 3 together are perfect match. Ballads galore in their sets. Def Leppard would have been better off going with someone other than Styx or Tesla. Fuck I actually hate the triple bill. I'd much rather see just an opener and have Lep play for 2 and a half hours. I went to see Bob Seger at the BB&T center in sunrise last saturday night. He had this chick name Claire Dunn open for him. Never heard of her and wasn't expecting much but she blew me away. Tall leggy blond who did a killer version of Zep's Rock N Roll for the last tune. Then Seger played for 2 & a half hours. The way it should be.

No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Styx is ludicrous. They are one of the few remaining bands from a great era of Arena Rock that could
have the original singer who sounds Damn near as good as the records. I wouldn't pay a penny to see them without
Dennis.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:36 pm

RPM wrote:Styx is ludicrous. They are one of the few remaining bands from a great era of Arena Rock that could
have the original singer who sounds Damn near as good as the records. I wouldn't pay a penny to see them without
Dennis.

Styx could have had that except they all let their egos get in the way.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 am

Look on the bright side.
They won't be playing Babe.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:47 am

Boomchild wrote:
RPM wrote:Styx is ludicrous. They are one of the few remaining bands from a great era of Arena Rock that could
Dennis.

Styx could have had that except they all let their egos get in the way.

Good ole Dennis.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Dennis.

When Dennis sued the band any chance of him rejoining ended. Because of that, there is more of a chance of Perry joining journey than Dennis joining Styx.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Monker wrote:When Dennis sued the band any chance of him rejoining ended. Because of that, there is more of a chance of Perry joining journey than Dennis joining Styx.

Lawsuit or no lawsuit it would never happen anyway. At least as long as JY is in the band. He's going nowhere. Actually he has nowhere else to go. They can make a buck without DDY so there is no reason to reunite.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:When Dennis sued the band any chance of him rejoining ended. Because of that, there is more of a chance of Perry joining journey than Dennis joining Styx.

Lawsuit or no lawsuit it would never happen anyway. At least as long as JY is in the band. He's going nowhere. Actually he has nowhere else to go. They can make a buck without DDY so there is no reason to reunite.

Well, there you go writing alternate history and fiction.

You don't know if JY alone can veto Dennis coming back. The fact is the band has all said it's a democracy and that would mean that if Tommy and/or Chuck wanted Dennis back, he would be there.

The fact is also that the lawsuit left a bad taste in everybody's mouth...they have said so in interviews. So, after suing the band, Dennis made returning impossible. If he had not done that, we really don't know if the band would be feeling the same right now. If all they care about is money, which many people believe, asking Dennis to do a tour would not be a bad idea. However, asking the guy back who sued you once, demanded so much control, and has pouted for years that if he had even more control that things would have been even better....well someone's error light would be flashing if they didn't see a problem with that.

And, I'll add this...even with the similar circumstances between Perry and Journey...the fact that Perry didn't pout, didn't sue the band, they ended things gracefully...even if it was bitter at the time, enough time has passed where I doubt there would be many objections if Perry wanted to join the band to perform a song sometime....There is no way Styx would do that.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:27 am

Monker wrote:Well, there you go writing alternate history and fiction.

You don't know if JY alone can veto Dennis coming back. The fact is the band has all said it's a democracy and that would mean that if Tommy and/or Chuck wanted Dennis back, he would be there.

The fact is also that the lawsuit left a bad taste in everybody's mouth...they have said so in interviews. So, after suing the band, Dennis made returning impossible. If he had not done that, we really don't know if the band would be feeling the same right now. If all they care about is money, which many people believe, asking Dennis to do a tour would not be a bad idea. However, asking the guy back who sued you once, demanded so much control, and has pouted for years that if he had even more control that things would have been even better....well someone's error light would be flashing if they didn't see a problem with that.

And, I'll add this...even with the similar circumstances between Perry and Journey...the fact that Perry didn't pout, didn't sue the band, they ended things gracefully...even if it was bitter at the time, enough time has passed where I doubt there would be many objections if Perry wanted to join the band to perform a song sometime....There is no way Styx would do that.

Rewriting history? Man is that a stretch. I simply was using JY as an example as to why Dennis will never be back in Styx. They got rid of him before the lawsuit. I don't think that it's a mystery it was because they did not want to deal with him anymore and that Dennis' vision of what Styx should be doing was different from theirs. As long as he was in the band, it would be difficult to do what they wanted to do. Tommy has been quoted saying he does not see a reunion in the future with DDY. Chuck has also been quoted as saying he likes they way things are now and sees no reason to reunite with DDY. That to me speaks volumes to it's not going to happen. There is no reason for them to reunite. They can do all the shows they want to, play what they want to play, which excludes DDY material that they feel doesn't belong in Styx. They have proven that they can do very well without him. I don't see where they would feel they need him back. Add to that they wouldn't have much to gain by asking him back. The chapter of DDY in Styx is closed.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 am

Dennis DeYoung's new live DVD is really great. I go see him anytime he comes through my area and I usually see Styx as well.

I do wonder how the band feels now that DDY has August Zadra doing a great job on the Tommy Shaw tunes.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby No Surprize » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

AR wrote:Dennis DeYoung's new live DVD is really great. I go see him anytime he comes through my area and I usually see Styx as well.

I do wonder how the band feels now that DDY has August Zadra doing a great job on the Tommy Shaw tunes.

Who gives a fuck. I really hope Tesla plays for 15 minutes and Styx for 30 minutes. Leppard needs 2 & a half hours on stage for me to feel like I got my money's worth. Tickets go on sale this friday here although if you are a memebr of the Rock Brigade Fan Club, they went on sale for you yesterday lol. As much as I pull Leppards Dick and think their great, I would never in my life buy into a fan club for $49.99 or some bullshit like that. I gotta check on some of their tour dates and see how long their playing before I buy.

No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:57 am

Boomchild wrote:Rewriting history? Man is that a stretch.

Yeah, it is...since that is not what I said. I said you are writing an alternate history.

They got rid of him before the lawsuit.

which is irrelevant...because the lawsuit STILL HAPPENED. There was an interview with Tommy a few years after where he said being drug into court put it at a different level...a whole new finality to it. You don't simply "get over" those situations when your partner sues you.

I don't think that it's a mystery it was because they did not want to deal with him anymore and that Dennis' vision of what Styx should be doing was different from theirs.

At that time, it was a difference of "Whah, I can't tour...please wait for me." And, the band (and label, probably) saying, "We have a new album, we HAVE to tour. So, they replaced him and started touring. In the middle of that, Dennis sued the band. and started doing these interviews about being such a victim....including the BTM. Prior to Dennis taking them to court, there was not much talk at all about the difference in direction, Hunchback, broadway musicals, etc. Dennis dug his own grave when he did that.

As long as he was in the band, it would be difficult to do what they wanted to do.

Well, yeah, if he kept refusing to tour and put Hunchback at such a high priority. Even during Dennis orchestra tour he was still promoting Hunchback as some type of possible PBS special. So, there was that, complaining he didn't have enough control over BNW, that if he were involved more "I Will Be Your Wittiness" would have been a huge hit, that he alone was responsible for the Styx sound, even whining about who Styx toured with and how often - when he wasn't even in the band any longer.

He sued the band, started constantly whining and complaining about EVERYTHING. Dennis dug his own grave, made his own coffin, and had his Robotos nail him in and bury him.

My point is, if he had not sued the band, and shut the fuck up, maybe he would have been able to re-enter the band at some point, even for Cyclorama. The fact that he said and did all of this other crap insures that he will never join the band ever again.

Again, I'll compare to Journey and Steve Perry. Perry and Journey came to terms for his exit...no lawsuit required. Then he shut the hell up and hardly ever talked about it. Everybody knows I'm not the biggest fan of Perry re-joining Journey, but HE left the door open by not being a complete ass towards his old band. Dennis did the exact opposite.

Tommy has been quoted saying he does not see a reunion in the future with DDY. Chuck has also been quoted as saying he likes they way things are now and sees no reason to reunite with DDY. That to me speaks volumes to it's not going to happen.

And, what were they all saying prior to Dennis talking about Tommy's bathwater?

There is no reason for them to reunite.

Sure there is: Popularity and money. Again, people say all that matters to Styx is money. Well, they would be making more money with less effort if Dennis were in the band. And, reuniting could mend the fan base to increase their popularity. This would have especially been true if it had happened around the time of Cyclorama. I'm sure everybody involved with Styx knows this.

However, at this point, it's obvious the band feels they are better off as they are instead of putting up with all of Dennis' crap.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am

Monker wrote:However, at this point, it's obvious the band feels they are better off as they are instead of putting up with all of Dennis' crap.

Which is what they felt from the get go. That is why I said, lawsuit or no lawsuit it doesn't matter. No matter what Tommy has said post the lawsuit. Their intentions from when they gave him the boot was to do what they wanted to do and not have to deal with compromising with DDY. That was the hole point of doing it. It doesn't make sense or benefit for them to reunite with him. Even if they did, I doubt it would make them more money. They would have less tour dates because DDY would never commit to the type of schedule they do now. I doubt just having DDY back in with less tour dates is going to bring in more money. At any rate, there is no point in rehashing a topic that has been discussed a thousand times before.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 am

I really think this tour is a nice package deal. Should do well.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara