Nightwish's new single

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Nightwish's new single

Postby Archetype » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:39 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

They've knocked it out of the park yet again, and Floor Jansen sounds amazing.

By the way, happy valentine's day!
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Re: Nightwish's new single

Postby RPM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am

Very well done. interesting mix , Metal with Irish Folk. I like her voice, however Is there depth of power that is
missing for this style? (like Izzy Hale would have?) maybe I haven't heard enough of them yet....thanks for posting!
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 am

I was very underwhelmed by the song.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:16 am

RPM wrote:Very well done. interesting mix , Metal with Irish Folk. I like her voice, however Is there depth of power that is
missing for this style? (like Izzy Hale would have?) maybe I haven't heard enough of them yet....thanks for posting!

This track offers a bit more of that power that you feel is missing in Elan. Especially the last "my fall will be for you" line at the end of the song. Really amazing.

Ghost Love Score
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 am

I expected a 'safe' song for the first single. What I'm disappointed with is the lack of a good chorus hook, the laid back guitar presence, and Floor Jensen not being utilized for her strengths (ala her higher range.) If they release a second single to coincide with the album release, I'm hoping it will be this album's equivalent to 'Bye Bye Beautiful' or 'I Wish I Had An Angel.'
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Jonny B wrote:I expected a 'safe' song for the first single. What I'm disappointed with is the lack of a good chorus hook, the laid back guitar presence, and Floor Jensen not being utilized for her strengths (ala her higher range.) If they release a second single to coincide with the album release, I'm hoping it will be this album's equivalent to 'Bye Bye Beautiful' or 'I Wish I Had An Angel.'

I don't share your views entirely about this song, since I think its atmosphere fits perfectly the theme of "the meaning of life" from the perspective of Tuomas who isn't being tortured by his lust for Tarja anymore (that inspired some incredible music- Ghost Love Score, Ever Dream, etc.) Elan, to me, is the natural progression of a band writing less about personal issues and more on a "worldly" scale.

Having read the track listing of the album, I'm predicting that "Shudder Before The Beautiful" could be what you're hoping for.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:50 pm

Jonny B wrote:I expected a 'safe' song for the first single. What I'm disappointed with is the lack of a good chorus hook, the laid back guitar presence, and Floor Jensen not being utilized for her strengths (ala her higher range.) If they release a second single to coincide with the album release, I'm hoping it will be this album's equivalent to 'Bye Bye Beautiful' or 'I Wish I Had An Angel.'

Turns out that "Shudder Before The Beautiful" is everything I had hoped it would be. Such a fantastic guitar/keyboard trade off solo as well. My expectations for the new album are very high so far.

Link to listen to Shudder Before The Beautiful

Floor Jansen sounds absolutely fantastic.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 am

Archetype wrote:

Turns out that "Shudder Before The Beautiful" is everything I had hoped it would be. Such a fantastic guitar/keyboard trade off solo as well. My expectations for the new album are very high so far.

Link to listen to Shudder Before The Beautiful

Floor Jansen sounds absolutely fantastic.

Much better! This is the Nightwish that I expected. I find it interesting that in these two songs that they've experimented with Floor's low and mid range, which hasn't seen a lot of use in her career. She really is one of the best and most versatile vocalists in the genre. Now I'm greatly looking forward to the rest of the album.
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara