Toto XIV

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Toto XIV

Postby r@y » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:18 pm

In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:26 pm

A little more extensive review here. with song credits...

http://www.spinthat45.com/2015/03/toto- ... lease.html

Had NO idea Hungate was on Holy War !

And realized how come Unknown Soldier sounded 'orchestral'.....because of the cello....sweet.

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:54 pm

r@y wrote:A little more extensive review here. with song credits...

And realized how come Unknown Soldier sounded 'orchestral'.....because of the cello....sweet.

Ray

Unknown Soldier The Cello on it is the cream on this Masterpiece. I had to fiddle aplenty with the equalizer to actually catch it and when it was found just Pure Brilliance. Luke being on bass would be tipping point to choose Luke as the STAR of this song. It's too good. So happy for the band right now.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 pm

MarcelJordan wrote:

Ray

Unknown Soldier The Cello on it is the cream on this Masterpiece. I had to fiddle aplenty with the equalizer to actually catch it and when it was found just Pure Brilliance. Luke being on bass would be tipping point to choose Luke as the STAR of this song. It's too good. So happy for the band right now.

MJ

And I also know why the BG vocals on Burn had that extra something.....7 people on it, including Carlock ! :D
r@y
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

r@y wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:

Ray 8) 8)

MJ

And I also know why the BG vocals on Burn had that extra something.....7 people on it, including Carlock ! :D

8) 8) Absolutely unprecedented for the band. USA for Toto ....if you will. :lol:

What about, Joseph: "Hand drumming on leather bench" Now that's what i call.... ENTERPRISING. :D

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:44 pm

MJ[/quote]

And I also know why the BG vocals on Burn had that extra something.....7 people on it, including Carlock ! :D[/quote]

8) 8) Absolutely unprecedented for the band. USA for Toto ....if you will. :lol:

What about, Joseph: "Hand drumming on leather bench" Now that's what i call.... ENTERPRISING. :D

MJ[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Could you pick it out from the song ? It's so layered, I couldn't, man... :P

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:40 pm

r@y wrote:
Could you pick it out from the song ? It's so layered, I couldn't, man... :P

Ray

At the beginning, along with Keith on drums. Maybe the DVD would show something. :idea: :mrgreen:

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 pm

1 minute soundbytes are up on MR homepage !

It's getting near....:p

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:27 am

I'm digging the music, but whoever did the mastering on this thing should never be allowed near a studio ever again.

Granted, this is true with almost everything Frontiers puts out, but it's truly criminal for a recording this complex and intricate to be compressed to the level it is. :evil:
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 am

r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Stopping @ Best Buy or FYE first thing tomorrow. Anyone else? Yea, I know I could buy it online, but a new TOTO CD is a big deal. Would rather race to the store like a kid on Xmas morning diving under the tree. So far I've heard Orphan, Holy War, Burn, Runnin Out of Time, 21st Century Blues, & All The Tears That Shine. Out of those, I love Holy War, Tears, & Running Out of Time. Not really diggin Burn. Can't wait to hear the rest!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Stopping @ Best Buy or FYE first thing tomorrow. Anyone else? Yea, I know I could buy it online, but a new TOTO CD is a big deal. Would rather race to the store like a kid on Xmas morning diving under the tree. So far I've heard Orphan, Holy War, Burn, Runnin Out of Time, 21st Century Blues, & All The Tears That Shine. Out of those, I love Holy War, Tears, & Running Out of Time. Not really diggin Burn. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Enjoy the experience....I live halfway across the globe, so I have no choice but to wait for my package to arrive haha..

Oh, wait till you hear the rest, especially the epic Unknown Soldier and Great Expectations !

Fortune is growing on me at the moment.

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 am

r@y wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Stopping @ Best Buy or FYE first thing tomorrow. Anyone else? Yea, I know I could buy it online, but a new TOTO CD is a big deal. Would rather race to the store like a kid on Xmas morning diving under the tree. So far I've heard Orphan, Holy War, Burn, Runnin Out of Time, 21st Century Blues, & All The Tears That Shine. Out of those, I love Holy War, Tears, & Running Out of Time. Not really diggin Burn. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Enjoy the experience....I live halfway across the globe, so I have no choice but to wait for my package to arrive haha..

Oh, wait till you hear the rest, especially the epic Unknown Soldier and Great Expectations !

Fortune is growing on me at the moment.

Ray

Every major retailer seems to only have the CD/DVD combo. I drive alot for work and really only need the cd. Off to Amazon.com, I go! Will prolly pick up a copy of Revolution Saints while I am at it. Update - now listening to MP3 version on my Amazon account (until physical copy arrives in mail). Even over my shitty desktop speakers, this cd has layers upon layers of production. Immense sound and total ear candy. Thanks to Luke and everyone for digging in deep and creating new soundscapes!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Every major retailer seems to only have the CD/DVD combo. I drive alot for work and really only need the cd. Off to Amazon.com, I go! Will prolly pick up a copy of Revolution Saints while I am at it. Update - now listening to MP3 version on my Amazon account (until physical copy arrives in mail). Even over my shitty desktop speakers, this cd has layers upon layers of production. Immense sound and total ear candy. Thanks to Luke and everyone for digging in deep and creating new soundscapes!

You HAVE to get the DVD, mate.....and check out the making of video. There are nice bits there i.e the drum overdubbing in Capitol Studios, recording the chants for Burn, Luke (together with Dave and Joe) trying to nail the guitar 'sound' for Great Expectations and seeing the pure joy on the faces of Luke, Dave, Steve and David H during the Chinatown session. You can see they weren't just hamming it for the cameras, it really was the joy of recording again together after 33 years. Awesome.

The other interesting thing on the DVD was how the recording process wasn't actually a 'lovefest'....with the right amount of frictions happening throughout the process. CJ even said he felt like Dr. Phil sometimes. Haha.

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:51 am

Great Expectations is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a loong awhile. Reminds me of "Dying on My Feet", but I think this works better.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Great Expectations is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a loong awhile. Reminds me of "Dying on My Feet", but I think this works better.

Spot on !

Great Expectations is Toto jam at its best ! Especially love the time change just before Lenny comes in....man, that is just awesome !

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby r@y » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Now that I have the physical CD and gave it a round, I can comment.....

I honestly don't understand the issue with the sound of the record. Compressed, etc whatever....to my ears, they sound pretty damn good

Interesting to read the comments by the guys on the songs.

And now the lyrics of some of the songs make more sense, after having heard the background and ideas of how those songs came about and what they mean. With that, I must say now that lyrically and musically XIV really is Toto's finest work in yearssss....

They've taken it up a few notches, and then some...

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 am

My physical cd has arrived from Amazon. Jewel case is scratched and the inside is also partially broken. Same with Rev Saints. Not cool. I should have just bought XIV at FYE. :evil:
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:My physical cd has arrived from Amazon. Jewel case is scratched and the inside is also partially broken. Same with Rev Saints. Not cool. I should have just bought XIV at FYE. :evil:

Oh man...sorry to hear.

How ironic, I live in Asia and mine came in pristine condition.

Happens....

Well enjoy the music bro !

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:33 am

r@y wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:My physical cd has arrived from Amazon. Jewel case is scratched and the inside is also partially broken. Same with Rev Saints. Not cool. I should have just bought XIV at FYE. :evil:

Oh man...sorry to hear.

How ironic, I live in Asia and mine came in pristine condition.

Happens....

Well enjoy the music bro !

Ray

Thanks. I already sent that defective shit back. Replacement cds supposed to arrive today or tomm.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 am

r@y wrote:Now that I have the physical CD and gave it a round, I can comment.....

I honestly don't understand the issue with the sound of the record. Compressed, etc whatever....to my ears, they sound pretty damn good

Interesting to read the comments by the guys on the songs.

And now the lyrics of some of the songs make more sense, after having heard the background and ideas of how those songs came about and what they mean. With that, I must say now that lyrically and musically XIV really is Toto's finest work in yearssss....

They've taken it up a few notches, and then some...

Ray

I've ordered my CD from the shop. I was told to get the US pressing. So I did (I live in Singapore) and the guy said the Asia and Euro pressing are over compressed. Any truth in this?

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 am

MarcelJordan wrote:
I've ordered my CD from the shop. I was told to get the US pressing. So I did (I live in Singapore) and the guy said the Asia and Euro pressing are over compressed. Any truth in this?

MJ

I can almost guarantee they're all the same mastering, unfortunately. Only hope is the vinyl, but I'm waiting for a few others to pipe in on whether it's worth the investment, sound-wise.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:48 am

Doesn't get much smoother than Chinatown. Damn.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Anymajordude » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:15 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:

MJ

I can almost guarantee they're all the same mastering, unfortunately. Only hope is the vinyl, but I'm waiting for a few others to pipe in on whether it's worth the investment, sound-wise.

I got the vinyl but sent it back due to pressing problems. It didn't sound much better than the cd version so I won't get a replacement.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Doesn't get much smoother than Chinatown. Damn.

That's probably my least favorite track on the LP, in the same way "Georgy Porgy" is the track on the first album I always want to skip. Too Steely Dan-ish for me. "Great Expectations" might be my favorite, definitely sort of a 'Better World part 2' in the best way.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Anymajordude » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 pm

I became a fan in late 1987 when Joseph was their singer. Many of my friends in high school loved Toto back then while I was more into heavy guitars type of music. I got the new LP, the seventh one, when it came out in 1988 and I went to see them live in Gothenburg in April (I think). Wow!
Since those days my Toto collection of CDs and vinyl has grown large and I've seen the live countless times up til the latest tour. To have a new Toto album with Joe on vocals is something I have waited for since TSO. I just wish they would have used him more on XIV. I wonder what other song ideas David and Joe came up with that didn't make the record? The songs I keep playing are Running oot, Fortune, Little things, Bend, Chinatown and Great expectations to some extent. And, despite mentioning this will p**s some people off, I hope one day we will get a hi rez uncompressed version of XIV. I could say more on that matter but I won't, there's more talk about that on other forums.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby r@y » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Yup, vintage Toto right there.

That' as close as the original Toto playing on a track in recent times....No CJ, or outside bassists, just the old Toto boys playing a track written decades ago in 2015 ! Very cool.

The icing definitely the vocal arrangements with Paich, Luke and Joe sharing duties....

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby Anymajordude » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 pm

r@y wrote:

That' as close as the original Toto playing on a track in recent times....No CJ, or outside bassists, just the old Toto boys playing a track written decades ago in 2015 ! Very cool.

The icing definitely the vocal arrangements with Paich, Luke and Joe sharing duties....

Ray

+1 !!
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:11 am

r@y wrote:

Ray

Hell yeah. I could listen to that groove all day. As Luke said, nobody makes music like this anymore.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Previous

Return to Toto