Frankie's latest post

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Frankie's latest post

Postby Mikele » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Check it out yourself on FS fb page. Apparently he's working on:

- a PONO high quality remastered version of first Survivor album;
- a youtube special on the making of the song 'eye of the tiger' with interviews with the people who actually were there making history (note: including Jim?).
Mikele
45 RPM

Re: Frankie's latest post

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 am

Mikele wrote:Check it out yourself on FS fb page. Apparently he's working on:

- a PONO high quality remastered version of first Survivor album;
- a youtube special on the making of the song 'eye of the tiger' with interviews with the people who actually were there making history (note: including Jim?).

Ironically, just as I clicked on your thread, a TV commercial that Frankie did the jingle for came on the TV. It's been airing for maybe the last two years on Cleveland TV stations. He sings it and plays guitar on it.

What does PONO stand for?

I know that Frankie has always hated the way that their first album turned out production wise.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 pm

PONO is the high quality music platform that Neil Young is managing.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:04 am

Mikele wrote:PONO is the high quality music platform that Neil Young is managing.

Thanks!

After I made my post last night, I did an internet search about PONO. I glanced at a little bit of info about it.

Do you need to have a PONO player to play a PONO recording?

If Frankie does release a PONO recording of Survivor's first album, would it only be able to be played in a PONO player?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:46 am

Nope, you would be able to play it everywhere you want. Of course, they strongly suggest you to buy their player (399$), that just hit the market...
Anyhow, there's an ongoing debate on this digital HQ topic, and I won't be among the buyers
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 pm

I for one am not into the digital meddling of original tapes. Just don't sound natural to me. ZZ Top did it and it was...how do I say...made me nauseous. Till they re-released the re-releases. :lol:

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:01 am

I like the remastering in most cases, but I really did not care for the first 3 cds Journey cd's with Perry. Just didn't sound right.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Mikele » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Finally, the official statement has come. On the Survivor Official FB page, there's a long post confirming the rumors of C. Barton as new member of the band. Go check it out
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:10 am

This looks to me like Frankie has no trust in Dave. It makes it appear like Dave is only there so Frankie can say he is not the only original member. Having Dave adds credibility, but having some 20 year old come on board to sing half the tunes does not. I don't know maybe Dave has indicated he is not comfortable singing the Jamison songs.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:49 am

RockInDetroit wrote:This looks to me like Frankie has no trust in Dave. It makes it appear like Dave is only there so Frankie can say he is not the only original member. Having Dave adds credibility, but having some 20 year old come on board to sing half the tunes does not. I don't know maybe Dave has indicated he is not comfortable singing the Jamison songs.

In the past, Dave has done quite well on several of Jimi's songs. Although, I know that they never seemed to do "Burning Heart" or "Is This Love" with Dave on vocals. But they also weren't doing "Is This Love" recently with Jimi either.

Since Jimi is sadly no longer with us, I wish that Dave could handle all of the lead vocals himself. But I think that at his current age, and with him having had throat problems in the past, that they probably do need a second vocalist along with Dave at this point.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Cameron has some full samples of Rock covers (non-Survivor unfortunately) on his website.. Not terrible but not awesome either. I don't get the "Jimi" vibe though. Maybe they took him because he's Nashville in style and shown that he's maturing now to tackle Jimi (who's from Nashville) stuff.

Check it out: http://www.cameronmuzic.com/#!jukebox/ca0e

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Mikele » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I guess the 2-singers approach was a success and DB felt more confident with Jimi on his side. Jimi was getting most of the attention and I think the same will happen with CB as he's so young
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby MarcelJordan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Mikele wrote:Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I guess the 2-singers approach was a success and DB felt more confident with Jimi on his side. Jimi was getting most of the attention and I think the same will happen with CB as he's so young

IMO, Juke Box Hero is right his alley.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)