Saw Boston last night

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Saw Boston last night

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 pm

I last saw them in 2004 or 2005 a couple years before Delp's suicide, and had seen them twice before that. I went last night with very low expectations. I've spent little to no time watching Tommy DeCarlo videos and the last album obviously wasn't great. But wow, they put on a GREAT show. Tommy is a great replacement. He's better than Delp was live (Delp was a monster on the albums, but listen to Boston bootlegs... he was always hit or miss live). It seems less is more with Boston. When I saw them in the early 2000s, they had as many as five guitar players, and the sound was very spotty. Last night, it was back to just Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl (for the most part... they have a woman who plays keys/guitar and sings backup), and the mix was so much better. And Tom and Gary tore it up - great guitar playing with the signature Boston tone. I'd recommend this show to anybody.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Re: Saw Boston last night

Postby RedWingFan » Fri May 20, 2016 7:00 am

Good to know. I have tickets to the show in Clarkston, Michigan.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Fri May 20, 2016 9:17 am

Ehwmatt wrote:I last saw them in 2004 or 2005 a couple years before Delp's suicide, and had seen them twice before that. I went last night with very low expectations. I've spent little to no time watching Tommy DeCarlo videos and the last album obviously wasn't great. But wow, they put on a GREAT show. Tommy is a great replacement. He's better than Delp was live (Delp was a monster on the albums, but listen to Boston bootlegs... he was always hit or miss live). It seems less is more with Boston. When I saw them in the early 2000s, they had as many as five guitar players, and the sound was very spotty. Last night, it was back to just Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl (for the most part... they have a woman who plays keys/guitar and sings backup), and the mix was so much better. And Tom and Gary tore it up - great guitar playing with the signature Boston tone. I'd recommend this show to anybody.

Isn't the lady Kimberly Dahme? I thought she was bass guitar and sang lead on at least some songs on the "Corporate America" album a while back.
Monker
MP3

Postby tj » Fri May 20, 2016 9:24 am

Monker wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:I last saw them in 2004 or 2005 a couple years before Delp's suicide, and had seen them twice before that. I went last night with very low expectations. I've spent little to no time watching Tommy DeCarlo videos and the last album obviously wasn't great. But wow, they put on a GREAT show. Tommy is a great replacement. He's better than Delp was live (Delp was a monster on the albums, but listen to Boston bootlegs... he was always hit or miss live). It seems less is more with Boston. When I saw them in the early 2000s, they had as many as five guitar players, and the sound was very spotty. Last night, it was back to just Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl (for the most part... they have a woman who plays keys/guitar and sings backup), and the mix was so much better. And Tom and Gary tore it up - great guitar playing with the signature Boston tone. I'd recommend this show to anybody.

Isn't the lady Kimberly Dahme? I thought she was bass guitar and sang lead on at least some songs on the "Corporate America" album a while back.

Some of the YouTube videos I have seen have her playing guitar, bass, or keyboards.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am

Beth Cohen
Much better fit for Boston the Dahme,
She Rocks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAp9W5Up7V4
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 pm

scarab wrote:Beth Cohen
Much better fit for Boston the Dahme,
She Rocks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAp9W5Up7V4

Agreed.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby AR » Sat May 21, 2016 4:53 am

You didn't see Boston. You saw a ghoulish recreation. Wouldn't pay a fucking dime to see that. Dressing up the Home Depot guy to LOOK like Delp is the all time lowest thing ever.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 am

Boston and Foreigner should tour together and bill it the "WANNABE" Tour.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat May 21, 2016 8:47 am

AR wrote:You didn't see Boston. You saw a ghoulish recreation. Wouldn't pay a fucking dime to see that. Dressing up the Home Depot guy to LOOK like Delp is the all time lowest thing ever.

:lol: :lol: Figured you'd chime in here Ed. You act as if Brad Delp was some legendary irreplaceable live performer. I saw Boston three times with Delp. He was inconsistent AT BEST live. Tommy didn't look anything like Brad the other night (I agree that's weird if and when they were going for that), and he was more consistent than any of the three times I saw Brad. The vocals, harmonies, and signature guitar sound were there, as played and created by the guy who played on and wrote everything -- Scholz. Over the last few years, I've seen more and more bad shows by washed up old acts I once admired. This was one of the better shows I've seen in a couple years. Your loss if you like Boston (i.e., Tom Scholz's) music. Scholz may be a litigious jerk, but this was a quality live show.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby AR » Sat May 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
AR wrote:You didn't see Boston. You saw a ghoulish recreation. Wouldn't pay a fucking dime to see that. Dressing up the Home Depot guy to LOOK like Delp is the all time lowest thing ever.

:lol: :lol: Figured you'd chime in here Ed. You act as if Brad Delp was some legendary irreplaceable live performer. I saw Boston three times with Delp. He was inconsistent AT BEST live. Tommy didn't look anything like Brad the other night (I agree that's weird if and when they were going for that), and he was more consistent than any of the three times I saw Brad. The vocals, harmonies, and signature guitar sound were there, as played and created by the guy who played on and wrote everything -- Scholz. Over the last few years, I've seen more and more bad shows by washed up old acts I once admired. This was one of the better shows I've seen in a couple years. Your loss if you like Boston (i.e., Tom Scholz's) music. Scholz may be a litigious jerk, but this was a quality live show.

Bro I don't care that you or anyone else went but I find it disgusting. I can play the songs for free at home.

"Oh well I just want to hear the songs and have a good time"

Well I hope Lenny Kravitz tours as Prince. Sure it will sound great!

Home Depot guy who looked nothing like Delp dressed in a fucking Halloween costume. :lol:

Got better things to spend my money on.

For the record best Boston show I ever heard was Delp with Fran Cosmo covering the double tracked vocals. Totally agree about Boston not sounding great live before that but Delp was an incredible singer who was asked to do too much early on live.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RPM » Sun May 22, 2016 8:36 am

AR wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

For the record best Boston show I ever heard was Delp with Fran Cosmo covering the double tracked vocals. Totally agree about Boston not sounding great live before that but Delp was an incredible singer who was asked to do too much early on live.

100% correct. Delp had NO help early on and Tom pushed him way too hard.... Brad & Fran were an excellent combo.They are playing down the street from me at the Grand Victoria....Zero interest and Those Guitar licks & Bass from Tomare my Favorite recordings. Glad you had a good time, but even though I would enjoy Tom & Gary (whose is excellent) The Home Depot makeover is way to creepy and ruined it for me.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 am

Ehwmatt wrote:

I've seen/heard several boots of Boston shows from the first tour through the last tour they did with Delp and he sounded pretty good on most of them. Granted back on their first couple of tours, they did a horrible job of reproducing that studio sound as a live band but Delp was OK for the most part.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby JohnH » Tue May 24, 2016 11:32 am

I agree . This lineup is firing on all cylinders and I saw them last year. The girl Beth is hitting those insane high harmonies- singing lead and she is great ! Really enjoyed the show last year.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri May 27, 2016 12:15 am

conversationpc wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

I've seen/heard several boots of Boston shows from the first tour through the last tour they did with Delp and he sounded pretty good on most of them. Granted back on their first couple of tours, they did a horrible job of reproducing that studio sound as a live band but Delp was OK for the most part.

Exactly. He was just "pretty good" for "most" of the time and "OK for the most part." He wasn't a legendary live frontman. An incredible studio singer, no doubt -- but people acting like this is The Stones replacing Mick or even Journey replacing Perry is just ludicrous.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby tj » Fri May 27, 2016 2:35 am

Are there any classic bands touring now with the original, or at least hit making, lineup? I am struggling to think of any. It seems that many of the original people are either dead or can't get along with each other (in some cases, people can't even get along with the dead people).
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Everett » Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 am

tj wrote:Are there any classic bands touring now with the original, or at least hit making, lineup? I am struggling to think of any. It seems that many of the original people are either dead or can't get along with each other (in some cases, people can't even get along with the dead people).

My favorite greatest band of all time styx has
3/5ths of their classic line up.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Fri May 27, 2016 8:18 am

Everett wrote:
tj wrote:Are there any classic bands touring now with the original, or at least hit making, lineup? I am struggling to think of any. It seems that many of the original people are either dead or can't get along with each other (in some cases, people can't even get along with the dead people).

Journey has 4/5
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Fri May 27, 2016 8:55 am

Archetype wrote:
Everett wrote:

Journey has 4/5

Does Chuck Panazzo still tour with Styx? I know that he had stopped for a while and just showed up as a "special guest" on occasion. If he does, what does Ricky Phillips do?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Chuck still plays with them. Ricky grabs a guitar or they have two basses on stage, depending on the song.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Sat May 28, 2016 9:33 am

Cheap Trick is 3/4 and played with all 4 originals at the Hall of Fame ceremony.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 am

ZZ Top is still 3:3. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am

verslibre wrote:ZZ Top is still 3:3. :lol:

Very true. They are charging $300 this tour for a meet and greet which includes a photo and Q&A session. Was thinking to myself if I got that pic no one would question who those guys are. 8)
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tj » Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 am

AR wrote:
verslibre wrote:ZZ Top is still 3:3. :lol:

Very true. They are charging $300 this tour for a meet and greet which includes a photo and Q&A session. Was thinking to myself if I got that pic no one would question who those guys are. 8)

Any 3 guys could hide behind beards like that and claim to be ZZ Top. Make sure that they are not fakes. :)
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 am

If there are three guys with long beards, then they're definitely fakes. Frank Beard (the drummer) has no beard, and yes, that's his surname. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby tj » Sun May 29, 2016 2:31 am

verslibre wrote:If there are three guys with long beards, then they're definitely fakes. Frank Beard (the drummer) has no beard, and yes, that's his surname. :lol:

I forgot that he doesn't have the beard. The other two are so overpowering that you could lose a small child in them. More than enough beard for a 5 piece band. Or even an 8 piece group like Chicago.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Maybe Tom should hire this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H57pWC5rvk
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:13 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Maybe Tom should hire this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H57pWC5rvk

They did a great job covering that song.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara