New Kansas

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

New Kansas

Postby scarab » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 am

As a Kansas Fan for the last 40 years :shock: they are releasing their first album since 2000 ish? Somewhere to Elsewhere, which was pretty good, but would have better with a couple Walsh songs. Now Walsh is gone, and Livgren I believe is not involved in this, this sounds good by the sound bytes. You can tell Billy Greer is involved in the songwriting.

http://kansas.mobiworld.me/marketing/tp ... id=1584700

anyways good to hear a classic rock band recording something new, now hopefully they will play a couple songs from it as their set list has been virtually unchanged for 2+ years.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Re: New Kansas

Postby yulog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Sounds great, his voice is great for their sound.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:19 am

Can't wait to hear it. The samples are really, really good. They sound very..."Kansas"!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RPM » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Samples sound very good... Those of us who have enjoyed ARRA for years are happy for him, in his younger days
Boston , Journey , Triumph were within his range and his stage presence was always top notch. Kansas is perfect
for him at this stage of his career . Look forward to the new release!
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:54 am

There's a whole song up now. Not bad. Sounds like '80s Kansas, or Kerry's band, A.D.

https://soundcloud.com/officialinsideoutmusic/kansas-with-this-heart-exclusive-fan-preview/s-LxqaB
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 am

He sounds a lot like Billy Greer. It's almost hard to tell if it's him or Billy singing at times - which isn't a bad thing. Ronnie seems to fit with Kansas, and I am really digging the new track. I've been a fan since I discovered them back in the mid 80's, via one of my brothers' cassette tape of the Best of Kansas. Since then, I became a huge fan and have seen them in concert a few times and got all of their records. I appreciate what each and every Kansas record brought to the table, even though some were, obviously, more successful than others. Unlike a lot of hardcore Steve Walsh fans, I really enjoyed Kansas with John Elefante leading, and I think I'll enjoy them with Ronnie Platt as well.

As great of a lead vocalist as Steve Walsh was for Kansas, I don't think of him as irreplaceable. I felt Kerry Livgrin was the heart and soul of Kansas in terms of song writing. I loved Walsh's vocals in the early years before he left, and then I liked him on the two late 80's albums. But after that, he just didn't sound like the Steve Walsh of old. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know age does something to a voice, but he wasn't that old in the 1990's. It seems like all through that decade, he just sounded horrible. However, I do think he really improved his vocals in the 2000's, and kept it sharp. I thought he sounded great on their last live DVD.

But don't get me wrong, I loved Steve Walsh and definitely think of him as Kansas, but I am very excited with their new direction and new music. I don't know how much longer Richard Williams or Phil Ehart will keep it up, or even Billy Greer for that matter. Like Walsh, they are all in their mid 60's, but I hope this won't be the only album with Platt. I'm hoping for a resurgence with Kansas. I have definitely gotten excited about wanting to see them live again.
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Postby verslibre » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:03 am

Yoda wrote:As great of a lead vocalist as Steve Walsh was for Kansas, I don't think of him as irreplaceable. I felt Kerry Livgren was the heart and soul of Kansas in terms of song writing.

He absolutely was. All the Kansas albums of the 70s display exemplary writing. It's in the mid-'80s where things get uneven (Audio-Visions and Vinyl Confessions are great albums). Kerry's first solo record Seeds of Change is freakin' killer!

Yoda wrote:I loved Walsh's vocals in the early years before he left, and then I liked him on the two late 80's albums. But after that, he just didn't sound like the Steve Walsh of old. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know age does something to a voice, but he wasn't that old in the 1990's. It seems like all through that decade, he just sounded horrible. However, I do think he really improved his vocals in the 2000's, and kept it sharp. I thought he sounded great on their last live DVD.

He did sound thrashed in the '90s. I wasn't sure what happened to Walsh-the-vocal-god of the '70s Kansas albums. His 1980 solo album, Schemer Dreamer, is awesome.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:04 am

Surprisingly enough, I have yet to listen to Steve's first solo album. I have his second solo album, Glossolalia. Not an album I would have ever imagined hearing from Steve Walsh. Very unusual album. I also haven't listened to any of Kerry's solo stuff either. Not that I haven't wanted to, I just have never given myself a chance to sit down and listen to any of it. I have heard (and own) the Seventh Key albums, all of John Elefante's solo stuff, and some miscellaneous tracks that Walsh had lend his vocals to for other artists. Oh, and also Steve's work with Streets.

For what's worth, I'd probably buy another Steve Walsh solo album if he chooses to record another one. I would hope it would be more along the lines of a hybrid Streets/Kansas thing though.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby verslibre » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:07 am

Yoda wrote:I also haven't listened to any of Kerry's solo stuff either.

:!: Get Seeds of Change yesterday!!

Get Schemer Dreamer, too, while you're at it. That's primo stuff.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 am

loved Schemer Dreamer and Seeds of change, as wells as Walsh's Streets 1st and the 1st side of the Crimes in Mind.
1st full song has been dropped and sounds like classic Kansas to me.
https://soundcloud.com/officialinsideou ... ew/s-LxqaB
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:37 am

verslibre wrote:
Yoda wrote:I also haven't listened to any of Kerry's solo stuff either.

:!: Get Seeds of Change yesterday!!

Get Schemer Dreamer, too, while you're at it. That's primo stuff.

I was able to listen to Schemer Dreamer on Spotify. I liked it, although I don't like it as much as the Kansas stuff. I'm going to see if Seeds of Change is on there too.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:38 am

scarab wrote:loved Schemer Dreamer and Seeds of change, as wells as Walsh's Streets 1st and the 1st side of the Crimes in Mind.
1st full song has been dropped and sounds like classic Kansas to me.
https://soundcloud.com/officialinsideou ... ew/s-LxqaB

Loved the Streets CDs. I've listened to the new Kansas song. Sounds exactly like classic Kansas to me. Wonder how Ronnie Platt would sound on some of the John Elefante tracks?
Yoda
8 Track

Postby scarab » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 pm

scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:39 am

I liked the clips I heard. I have seen the new lineup live and really enjoyed it. Ronnie Platt is excellent.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7zyTxaATg

I actually think Platt sounds more like Elefante than Walsh.
Hated to see Walsh go, but Platt seems like a VERY humble guy and very proud to get the chance.
Will I see them live, probably not, but looking forward to hearing new music. (Its been 16 years)
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:57 am

Yoda wrote:As great of a lead vocalist as Steve Walsh was for Kansas, I don't think of him as irreplaceable. I felt Kerry Livgrin was the heart and soul of Kansas in terms of song writing. I loved Walsh's vocals in the early years before he left, and then I liked him on the two late 80's albums. But after that, he just didn't sound like the Steve Walsh of old. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know age does something to a voice, but he wasn't that old in the 1990's. It seems like all through that decade, he just sounded horrible. However, I do think he really improved his vocals in the 2000's, and kept it sharp. I thought he sounded great on their last live DVD.

This is exactly what I've been saying. His voice was at its worst from the early to late 90s and then gradually began improving when he got clean and sober. He hasn't sounded magical since the early to mid 80s but I heard glimpses of that magic every now and then over the last 15 years or so. I'm glad he went out on his own terms.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby conversationpc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:00 am

As for what I've heard of the new album, it sounds like it will be good but it's missing the classic Kansas sound. It's hard to describe just what that is but it's obvious to me. That doesn't mean it can't be good, like the two albums from the Steve Morse era. It's just different.
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby S2M » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:53 am

Power was good, In the Spirit of Things was not...lol

:lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby rsimpson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

S2M wrote:Power was good, In the Spirit of Things was not...lol

In The Spirit Of Things has one of favorite Kansas songs. Inside Of Me. I did see them the a couple weeks of go with new singer. Sounded great. I think the additional musicians on stage helps fill out the sound. Closet Chronicles sounded really good.
rsimpson
Ol' 78

Postby S2M » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:45 am

rsimpson wrote:

In The Spirit Of Things has one of favorite Kansas songs. Inside Of Me. I did see them the a couple weeks of go with new singer. Sounded great. I think the additional musicians on stage helps fill out the sound. Closet Chronicles sounded really good.

I really don't mind ItSoT. It's just a running joke between Dave & I. :lol:

Leftovertrue will always be my favorite album, followed by PoKR.
S2M
MP3

Postby rsimpson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:33 am

S2M wrote:
rsimpson wrote:

I really don't mind ItSoT. It's just a running joke between Dave & I. :lol:

Leftovertrue will always be my favorite album, followed by PoKR.

I'm more into Kansas and Song For America. I really like Freaks of Nature too, just wish Steve was in better voice for that one.
rsimpson
Ol' 78

Postby S2M » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 am

Freaks of Nature was decent.

First 4 tracks were good, with 'Black Fathom 4' being my fave.

This release, along with the absolutely HORRIBLE 'Live at the Whisky', are their worst efforts, IMHO.
S2M
MP3

Postby scarab » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:45 am

Not sure if it was a label thing but the worst part of ITSOT was the outside writers. Did the label say you have to have another All I Wanted so they did Stand Beside me, which doesnt sound like Kansas or the theme of the record at all.
Power IIRC only had one outside song, which was a bad attempt at a 80;s power ballad Cant Cry Anymore.

Ghosts
Inside of Me
House on Fire
Counted on Love
Rainmaker
BElls of Saint James

are classics.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 am

S2M wrote:I really don't mind ItSoT. It's just a running joke between Dave & I. :lol:

Running? When? Where? Can't place it...

:D
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby conversationpc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 am

scarab wrote:Power IIRC only had one outside song, which was a bad attempt at a 80;s power ballad Cant Cry Anymore.

The only song I can't stand on "Power" is "Secret Service". Besides that, "Silhouettes in Disguise", "Taking in the View", and the title track are all top-notch songs, in my opinion. The others besides the above-named "Secret Service" are good as well.

Ghosts
Inside of Me
House on Fire
Counted on Love
Rainmaker
BElls of Saint James

"Ghosts", "Rainmaker", and especially "The Bells of Saint James" are great songs.
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 am

Silhouettes in Disguise is one one Kansas's best rockers,
I agree with Secret Service, its okay at best, and the music to Tomb 19 are great, but the lyrics are jut silly.

Tomb 19 was sacred 1000 years or more
The Mayan king was restless a curse upon the door
His shrouds of royal fabric his journey to be made
To offer spirits good and evil 14 beads of sale

The jade had ancient power or so beliefs allege
To anyone who plundered they would drive him to the edge

If you take the treasures of Tomb 19
Let the curse remind you
Take the treasures of Tomb 19
But never look behind you

But of Course, You cant get much worse than the lyrics to Andi or Perfect Lover :lol:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby StoneCold » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Odd how many different sounds Kansas has.

Used to be you could hear one song from a band and know it was THAT band. VH, Boston etc

Kansas had that in the 70s but my favorite song from them doesn't sound like "Kansas" at all.

Love the intro that just keeps going.

FFWF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuFkavneS60
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby rsimpson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:05 pm

conversationpc wrote:
scarab wrote:Power IIRC only had one outside song, which was a bad attempt at a 80;s power ballad Cant Cry Anymore.

The only song I can't stand on "Power" is "Secret Service". Besides that, "Silhouettes in Disguise", "Taking in the View", and the title track are all top-notch songs, in my opinion. The others besides the above-named "Secret Service" are good as well.

Ghosts
Inside of Me
House on Fire
Counted on Love
Rainmaker
BElls of Saint James

"Ghosts", "Rainmaker", and especially "The Bells of Saint James" are great songs.

Got to hear Ghosts and Rainmaker at DVD shoot with Steve Morse. Great show.
rsimpson
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAT_R3Jages

great sound, a mix of Somewhere to Elsewhere and classic Kansas.
Anyone have the writing credits?
Sure sounds like Livgren
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 am

Release has been out awhile now.

Thoughts?
S2M
MP3

Next

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara