Duets

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Duets

Postby tj » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am

I have been thinking about new music from Steve. I think a lower risk for him and a record company might be an album of duets. Take a dozen or so classic non-Journey songs and match them with Steve and another classic artist. Not a cheesy, Perry + Gaga or Perry +Taylor Swift. People with more long term history. Here's my current list:

Ann Wilson
Michael McDonald
Robert Plant
Linda Ronstadt
Don Henley
Patti LaBelle
Gregg Rolie
Daryl Hall
Stevie Wonder
Belinda Carlisle

I could list many more, and then of course what songs. Thoughts?
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Duets

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 pm

I think I read somewhere that he's supposed to have one with Mellisa Etheridge on his new album, although I wouldn't swear by that.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Ann Wilson and/or Daryl Hall. Etheridge would be awesome.

I tend to lean more towards it being a female.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

The Etheridge duet was from the guy, forget the name who tweeted that Perry's new album was coming out in May 2016 and that he played on it. The tweet was immediately removed.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 am

I don't care for Etheridge at all. Flash in the pan musically, in my opinion, whose primary fame has come from her early outing as a lesbian. Her musical imprint is pretty small.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 am

tj wrote:I don't care for Etheridge at all. Flash in the pan musically, in my opinion, whose primary fame has come from her early outing as a lesbian. Her musical imprint is pretty small.

I wouldn't even know where to start to comment on this. As Cyndy once told me and I quote often, her shows are not just concerts, they are revivals, experiences. She's an amazing writer and guitar player. As far as her voice, I could listen forever but I realize that's a personal thing.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Lora » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 am

Memorex wrote:
tj wrote:I don't care for Etheridge at all. Flash in the pan musically, in my opinion, whose primary fame has come from her early outing as a lesbian. Her musical imprint is pretty small.

I wouldn't even know where to start to comment on this. As Cyndy once told me and I quote often, her shows are not just concerts, they are revivals, experiences. She's an amazing writer and guitar player. As far as her voice, I could listen forever but I realize that's a personal thing.

Ditto all of that, Memorex.

"Flash in the pan?" That's a strange comment. She has been making amazing music for decades and has grown so much as a musician. I always loved seeing her shows which were always very uplifting. I always went home feeling better about myself and the world around me.
Lora
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Lora wrote:
Memorex wrote:

"Flash in the pan?" That's a strange comment. She has been making amazing music for decades and has grown so much as a musician. I always loved seeing her shows which were always very uplifting. I always went home feeling better about myself and the world around me.

I remember seeing her on the 4th Street Feeling tour, where she had played all guitars on the album. Her as a player before that was great. Her after that was insane. The intricacies of her playing. It was really night and day.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:55 am

Melissa's first 3 CDs were awesome to great. The fourth was good. the fifth right before or after her outing was ok. They rest were pretty much bad.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Abitaman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:58 am

Lora wrote:
Memorex wrote:

Her shows are good, but she got lost in her whole movement and suffered when it came to making new music. The bigger and bolder her music got, it lost a lot of the personal touch that it had.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 am

tj wrote:I have been thinking about new music from Steve. I think a lower risk for him and a record company might be an album of duets. Take a dozen or so classic non-Journey songs and match them with Steve and another classic artist. Not a cheesy, Perry + Gaga or Perry +Taylor Swift. People with more long term history. Here's my current list:

Ann Wilson
Michael McDonald
Robert Plant
Linda Ronstadt
Don Henley
Patti LaBelle
Gregg Rolie
Daryl Hall
Stevie Wonder
Belinda Carlisle

Hello TJ. I agree with you that Patti LaBelle and Gregg Rolie would be perfect. I also feel Jean Carne would be a good fit, as well as Jennifer Hudson, Josh Stone, Chaka Khan, Billy Joel, and Ronald Isley. And perhaps Kirk Franklin (outside of his known genre). Or...a very famous singer from either Portugal or who is Portuguese with both singing in that language for one or two songs; one of which could be a Falco (unsure of spelling). Thoughts anyone?
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby scarab » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 am

would love to hear an Adele Perry duet.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Oh no not Patti Labelle or any of that caliber of singers; I think they are great but the genre is not Mr Perry. Kirk Franklin is neither but Adle...oh yeah,very similar. He might out sing even her but she's closest to his sound. Not that it even matters and who cares about my opinion but goodness gracious I think it would be phenomenal depending on the song and she listens to him not that he's opinionated or stubborn or anything but in regards to this particular endeavor if it could happen please my Lord,I would think after all these years of deliberations he might be right.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:54 pm

scarab wrote:would love to hear an Adele Perry duet.

I agree...Adele would be a great choice to sing with SP. We can dream, can't we?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Arkansas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:10 am

SP needs to do an episode of LFDH. :idea:
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Postby Jubilee » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:40 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
tj wrote:I have been thinking about new music from Steve. I think a lower risk for him and a record company might be an album of duets. Take a dozen or so classic non-Journey songs and match them with Steve and another classic artist. Not a cheesy, Perry + Gaga or Perry +Taylor Swift. People with more long term history. Here's my current list:

Ann Wilson
Michael McDonald
Robert Plant
Linda Ronstadt
Don Henley
Patti LaBelle
Gregg Rolie
Daryl Hall
Stevie Wonder
Belinda Carlisle

Hello TJ. I agree with you that Patti LaBelle and Gregg Rolie would be perfect. I also feel Jean Carne would be a good fit, as well as Jennifer Hudson, Josh Stone, Chaka Khan, Billy Joel, and Ronald Isley. And perhaps Kirk Franklin (outside of his known genre). Or...a very famous singer from either Portugal or who is Portuguese with both singing in that language for one or two songs; one of which could be a Falco (unsure of spelling). Thoughts anyone?

Hi Bellaire. I suggested Chaka Khan or Tina Turner several years ago when we had this topic come up. I was summarily dismissed. Poo-pooed, if you will. Good to see we finally got somebody with some taste around here (albeit a bit late). Ron Isley? :shock: I like how you're thinkin '. Could be very interesting :wink:
"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better". -- Maya Angelou
Jubilee
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Arkansas wrote:SP needs to do an episode of LFDH. :idea:
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

later~

This would be the best thing.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 am

Marabelle wrote:Oh no not Patti Labelle or any of that caliber of singers; I think they are great but the genre is not Mr Perry. Kirk Franklin is neither but Adle...oh yeah,very similar. He might out sing even her but she's closest to his sound. Not that it even matters and who cares about my opinion but goodness gracious I think it would be phenomenal depending on the song and she listens to him not that he's opinionated or stubborn or anything but in regards to this particular endeavor if it could happen please my Lord,I would think after all these years of deliberations he might be right.

These kinds of topics excite me, so PLEASE excuse my enthusiasm Marabelle. :D

They are EXACTLY his genre!!! He is a soul/gospel singer at heart, spirit and musical DNA who loves rock because his voice can take it on. Soul/gospel singers like Patti, like Chaka Khan, like Ronald Isley DID rock. Ron's voice, in his prime (59-78), was unstoppable and could not be contained. It was one of the reasons why his style didn't do so well in Motown. He was a rocker and Motown had NO IDEA how to market them (The Isley Brothers) and especially him because he was so loud, powerful and strong and raw (as he mentioned in Fight the Power). That's why they did their own label in 1964, because they did not want a label deciding their musical direction or sound. At this point, even though Steve is not a crooner (as the 2014 encore Eel appearances will testify to me with Open Arms...which I didn't like) because while he can deliver on a ballad even better than Ron (and that's a lot because I am Ron's #1 fan when it comes to that), his voice in its current pitch and flavor is more like Otis Redding (as Steve has mentioned in a written interview) and Otis' voice was more power at a fever pitch (stronger paced songs) and sometimes faded in the ballads. But that may have been his style more than ability, so I digress and make way from others who would know more about ole Otis than I.

Patti and I forgot to mention Gladys, whom he adores, could bring out the soul in him just like Tower of Power did and Herbie Hancock and the All-Star Cast (when Steve sang "Road Runner") the old famous blues players from back in the day did, and that would send his voice over the top. Patti would bring out his A game and Gladys could "provoke" him. Chaka is a power singer whether she sings ballads or rock/soul and her style fits him, like a glove...or a pair of spandex pants ( :lol: ) And Jubilee is right, Tina would have been perfect but her voice is not as powerful as it once was. Some argue the same about Steve, but I tend to disagree. The last concert singing of Lights was proof to me that he could, with practice and an audience, turn it on.

Whoa, Marabelle, thank you. I enjoyed this convo. I could go on and on about this. Maybe I will another time. Whoa! Love it. Thanks for indulging me on this subject. :D
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 am

Jubilee wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

Ann Wilson
Michael McDonald
Robert Plant
Linda Ronstadt
Don Henley
Patti LaBelle
Gregg Rolie
Daryl Hall
Stevie Wonder
Belinda Carlisle

Hi Bellaire. I suggested Chaka Khan or Tina Turner several years ago when we had this topic come up. I was summarily dismissed. Poo-pooed, if you will. Good to see we finally got somebody with some taste around here (albeit a bit late). Ron Isley? :shock: I like how you're thinkin '. Could be very interesting :wink:

Oh yeah Jubilee. Don't get me started!!! :lol:
Love talking about things like this!!! Sorry you were dismissed. You were right and accurate. And the best part is Chaka can STILL sing. And she would blend with him like no other except Patti or Gladys, whom I forgot to mention and shame on ME for that. Oh lawd. When Steve did "Road Runner" (see YouTube), that was what convinced me that he had the goods!!! And when he sang "Sandcastles", I said, "That's Philly International!" That's when I KNEW he should be singing with Jean Carne. Too bad he missed Phyllis Hyman when she was with us. That would have been out. of .this. world.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 am

Nah
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 pm

mm.JPG
mm.JPG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 10567 times

Could be interesting .
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 am

His voice is so versatile that he could sing with anyone but so distinct that it would have to be specific and NOT just anybody.

It could be a collaboration with a former song partner Kenny Loggins or a legend like Verdine White of EWF, Johnny Gill or Stephanie Mills, Angie Stone or Beyonce. But definitely Joss Stone (stone cold blue-eyed soul/gospel singer)! Misspelled her name before...fixed it now.
Last edited by bellairepark73 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 am

I am still on the other side of the street....those singers are amazing but none of them frankly are as current (he's just more publicized) except perhaps Beyoncé and maybe Josh Stone (although i can't name a song she has sung). If he is going retro then any of those singers would work and he would have a big audience but he is a different caliber of a singer. His voice has a different texture then Bruno but no doubt it could work and Adele would be perfecte because both have a love story to tell wrapped in pain.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Marabelle wrote:I am still on the other side of the street....those singers are amazing but none of them frankly are as current (he's just more publicized) except perhaps Beyoncé and maybe Joss Stone (although i can't name a song she has sung). If he is going retro then any of those singers would work and he would have a big audience but he is a different caliber of a singer. His voice has a different texture then Bruno but no doubt it could work and Adele would be perfect because both have a love story to tell wrapped in pain.

Marabelle...not quite sure what you mean by different caliber? :)

And by the way, Johnny Gill is constantly on tour and Patti was just on TV, still more relevant and current...than dare I say...his noseness. Just saying.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 am

What I mean is that a few of these singers have smoke still lingering in their souls immersed in their DNA, centuries old. I don't believe Mr Perry has that same grit or bleeds the same way. Chaka brings fire, Patti brings attitude and hope, Johnny Gil has a more incendiary soulfulness....just a different caliber or texture in their voices than Steve Doesn't mean he can't be in the same room, just that there are different kinds of spirits swirling in the hearts and heads of these singers.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Jubilee » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:30 am

I have to agree with Bellaire on this one. I am, and always will be, a proponent of a Steve Perry/Chaka Khan mash-up in the same vein as Steve Winwood/Chaka Khan on “Higher Love”:
https://youtu.be/5bcSoHoJh0c
Or
Steve Perry/Tina Turner (or maybe P!ink, since Tina is officially retired) ala Bryan Adams/Tina Turner on “It’s Only Love”:
https://youtu.be/GkNwXsX0_4M
IMO either of these two songs are (or would have been) in Perry’s wheelhouse. I think the “caliber” argument falls short since the whole point of the duet is to create something new & bring something out of both artists that we as the listener hadn’t imagined before.
"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better". -- Maya Angelou
Jubilee
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 pm

scarab wrote:would love to hear an Adele Perry duet.

omg ... wouldn't that be something ...
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:13 am

Chaka khan...sing a song like the one she sings with Steve Winwood? Chaka is singing background. It is like listening to her sing in a different room. That doesn't sound really like a duet.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Jubilee » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Marabelle wrote:Chaka khan...sing a song like the one she sings with Steve Winwood? Chaka is singing background. It is like listening to her sing in a different room. That doesn't sound really like a duet.

Lol. Okay, maybe that doesn't quite rise to the level of "duet", BUT I dare say (in my never-to-be-humble opinion), Chaka Khan's contribution to the colour & flavour of this record is substantially greater than mere backing vox. :wink:
Jubilee
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 am

Alicia Keyes. Great musicality
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Steve Perry