Japan Setlists?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Japan Setlists?

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 am

I see the following songs on Youtube from last night so far:
La Raza Del Sol, Chain Reaction, Stone in Love, Be Good to Yourself, Open Arms, Lights, Who's Cryin Now, DSB, Ask The Lonely
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Re: Japan Setlists?

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:45 am

Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:52 am

Probably, those that aren't familiar with anything but the DD, won't record much else.
Hopefully, someone will shoot a few of the more obscure tunes.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:02 am

Eric wrote:I see the following songs on Youtube from last night so far:
La Raza Del Sol, Chain Reaction, Stone in Love, Be Good to Yourself, Open Arms, Lights, Who's Cryin Now, DSB, Ask The Lonely

It's great to see LRDS and Chain Reaction back in the set! I'm also kind of happy to see WCN and ATL back as well.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby StyxCollector » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:05 am

I was there. Full set in order:

Short Instrumental (live not taped) as intro
Separate Ways
Be Good To Yourself
Only The Young
NS solo (with Jon doing keyboard pads)
Stone In Love
Any Way You Want It
Blues intro (full band)/Lights
Jon piano solo (with bits of When You Love a Woman/Send her My Love/I'll be Alright Without You)
Open Arms
Who's Crying Now
Chain Reaction (Travis on vox)
La Do Da w/ Smitty solo
NS solo/Wheel In The Sky
Exended Piano iintro/Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'

Encores:
La Raza Del Sol
Ask The Lonely
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxCollector » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 am

Some show thoughts below.

Background: I haven't seen Journey since the Augeri days, right before his vocals went to hell and, well, we all know what happened around these parts. I saw them quite a few times right after they came back post-Perry with Augeri, including things like the Arrival tour. As a huge Styx fan, they also have their core songs they play (both incarnations - DDY's band and Styx themselves), and I get the whole "hit fatigue" thing.

Having said that, I was in Japan because I was originally supposed to be in this part of the world for work next week. That changed, so I decided to keep Japan as a sorely needed vacation. When I heard that Journey would a) be in Japan the same time I was and b) were doing Escape/Frontiers, it was a no brainer. Sign me up! When I later found out E/F was only the second Tokyo show (I leave before then), I was initially disappointed, but hey, Japan, right? Also, I hate package tours, they had not announced Vegas (which I *hate* and avoid if I can), and wanted to see them with Smitty before he leaves again.

I've only ever seen one other show in Japan, and that was Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood at Budokan in Tokyo a few years back. I had an idea what to expect from that show in terms of audience, et al. Not surprsingly, Osako-Jo Hall reminded me of Budokan in ways. If you're used to an American concert experienvce, it's quite different and not in a bad way.

Enough rambling - how about the show? Fantastic. See the set above. Yes it was what I'd call "The Dirty Dozen Plus". It didn't matter. My disappointment with it not being an E/F show went away. If you step back - and I'm a musician myself, set lists are hard to do well to please everyone - the 1-2-3 punch of SW/BGTY/OTY is about as good as it gets.

I only noticed a handful of things like missed notes or awkward things. There were two that stood out to me:
1. The bluesy intro to Lights stopped, NS did his spiel, and then they started. To me, it killed the flow. He should have talked over it and gone right into it. Bad moment for me.
2. Travis did a good job with Chain Reaction. However, when it came to band intros/bows at the end, they didn't intro him nor did he bow. Really bad form.

Some general obervations:
1. Having seen them a few times with Deen, they were nowehere near as good as they are with Smitty. I saw him with Vital information in NYC a year or two ago, and to see him on a bigger stage playing rock is amazing. Always wanted to see Journey with him. To say he's amazing doesn't do him jusitce. He really propels this band, and his many years of experience in other genres really showed through on a song like La Raza. As a musician (I'm a bass player), it was amazing to watch him especially after having seen him up close in a compete 180 from this show. The worst/best part? He made it all look so effortless. It didn't look like he even broke a sweat. He will be missed when someone else comes in after. His are hard shoes to fill.

2. Partially due to #1, they were firing on all cylinders and tighter than I remember.

3. The addition of Travis IMO is a good one. It frees up Jon to just play piano, or add rhythm guitar to things that need filling out. The arrangements sounded fuller. Plus, he can sing and will replace Jon when he decides to go full gospel ha

4. Jon did not look bored, and the whole band seemed into it the entire night.

5. The crowd was different than the Clapton/Winwood show. They were standing at parts, singing along, etc. For all the bad crap going on in the world, to see a room full of people in a country where English is not their native language singing along just like everyone else back home is heartening. Apparently I'm not as cynical as I think I am.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the review. I would love to see the band with Smitty, but I'll have to make do with videos.... Hardly the same experience.

Glad to hear the guys are really enjoying themselves, it sounds like you had a memorable time!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Loneman1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 am

Awesome, great review!! I was wondering what nights they were gonna do all of Escape/Frontiers.......good to know!! I really hope we get some great footage/audio from some source, especially of "Troubled Child"!! Very curious how that one will work live!
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 am

Feb 4, 2017 Sendai , Japan

2 4 2017.jpg
2 4 2017.jpg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 7599 times
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 am

Neal Schon on his FB

February 3 at 5:03am ·
Nagoya last night - was a cool 15 min jam on La Raza DS

https://www.facebook.com/schonmusic?fref=photo
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am

when do the escape/frontiers show start?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 am

scarab wrote:when do the escape/frontiers show start?

Should be the next 2 nites when they hit Budokan, I think.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 am

tater1977 wrote:
scarab wrote:when do the escape/frontiers show start?

Should be the next 2 nites when they hit Budokan, I think.

Neal Schon ‏@NealSchonMusic

Thank You Tokyo for the very warm welcome tonight at our 1st Budokan JP see you tomorrow for the 2nd - we will film Escape / Frontiers show
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Loneman1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:44 am

Awesome.....I hope that film sees the light of day!!
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
8 Track

Postby Gideon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:28 am

I'm not a musician or a vocalist, but it seems like such a bad fucking idea to film the SECOND show the day after the first. Wouldn't you want to wait until Arnel had a couple of days of rest? Dude still sounds great for his age, but you can tell he's diminished.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am

Neal Schon ‏@NealSchonMusic · 9h9 hours ago

Neal Schon Retweeted Rock Nation Radio

You would have to ask him

Rock Nation Radio @RockNationRadio

@NealSchonMusic Is it true that @stevesmithdrums is only sticking with the band through the end of 2017?

tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby RumTumJM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:51 am

tater1977 wrote:Neal Schon ‏@NealSchonMusic · 9h9 hours ago

Neal Schon Retweeted Rock Nation Radio

You would have to ask him

Rock Nation Radio @RockNationRadio

@NealSchonMusic Is it true that @stevesmithdrums is only sticking with the band through the end of 2017?

Yea! I anxious to know what will happen now. I thought it was originally contracted for just 2016 & 2017. I'd love to see him remain, especially since Neal said next year will have heavy touring. (Although, Neal originally said the touring ends after the Vegas residency! HAHAHA!)

P.S. - That was me who asked him that! HAHAHA!
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 am

Gideon wrote:I'm not a musician or a vocalist, but it seems like such a bad fucking idea to film the SECOND show the day after the first. Wouldn't you want to wait until Arnel had a couple of days of rest? Dude still sounds great for his age, but you can tell he's diminished.

Fairly common occurrence to film the second night of any engagement. The first nights are often "dress rehearsals" for the video crews for shot blocking. And often by night #2, audio kinks in the hall have been worked out. Perry would probably be the first one to tell you that the singers' needs rarely factored into the business decisions. Besides, the vocals are very typically overdubbed later on anyway for these concert films.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Here's AP singing 'Mother Father'. First time, for me hearing him singing
this .. :shock:

mika ‏@tommyorangerock

Today I was able to shoot a little journey #arnelpineda #motherfather

https://twitter.com/tommyorangerock/sta ... 1750470656
Last edited by tater1977 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:13 pm

tater1977 wrote:Here's AP singing 'Mother Father'. First time, for me hearing him singing

Big shoes to fill on this song, sorry to say he doesn't quite make it...IMHO.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Here's AP singing 'Mother Father'. First time, for me hearing him singing

Big shoes to fill on this song, sorry to say he doesn't quite make it...IMHO.

This is on their 2nd night at Budokan that they were filming for release later.
Yea sounds like his shoes come untied a few times there.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm

I think Deen actually did a better job.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Steve Smith ‏@stevesmithdrums · 3h3 hours ago
https://twitter.com/stevesmithdrums/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw
Serious workout last night: Escape & Frontiers Tokyo Budokan!

e.JPG
e.JPG (56.27 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 am

Played "After All These Years" in Seoul...
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:56 pm

perryfan61 wrote:I think Deen actually did a better job.

Not hard. Deen was better than Augeri and Arnel on alot of the material. This one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mad4xV6v734
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Journey - Rock N Roll(Led Zepelin cover)@Taipei,Taiwan20170219

https://youtu.be/Pz-BMi3xm3o
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Not hard. Deen was better than Augeri and Arnel on alot of the material. This one too.

Never saw Deen sing that one before.....he did an awesome job!!
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey - Rock N Roll(Led Zepelin cover)@Taipei,Taiwan20170219

https://youtu.be/Pz-BMi3xm3o

Seems an unusual choice, but Arnel seems very much at home with this one.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:03 pm

NOT JAPAN -
April 1, 2017
Evansville, IN
fa9d28257410ebcfbd72e27a4bc43e65607f5874a58c1a6303c358dda5d1ae29.jpg
fa9d28257410ebcfbd72e27a4bc43e65607f5874a58c1a6303c358dda5d1ae29.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 6599 times

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSXm_uJhlJ6/
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:18 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Never saw Deen sing that one before.....he did an awesome job!!

Deen, like Perry during the later Frontiers years, has the tenor voice but with husky soul.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Return to Journey