Journey - Troubled child

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey - Troubled child

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:35 pm

Journey - Troubled child
Feb 7, 2017 Budokan

https://youtu.be/XMpZYhKGQ7E
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Journey - Troubled child

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Looks like he filmed almost all the tracks.

JohnUsokuSykes

https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnUsokuS ... shelf_id=0
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 am

M'eh.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 am

listened to most of the songs, Arnel sounded great throughout except on Troubled Child.
I am not liking the new kids vocals. You can tell he has a great voice but his delivery seems to be way off.
Good to hear Arnel singing Mother Father.
I like La Raza, but the song will sure be a buzzkill if its an encore in Vegas.
And it just me, is it time to drop LTS as the last encore?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tedpruitt » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:27 am

Scarab -- not just you. LTS is ready to be retired for the encore if nothing else. New kid's vocals kind of takes it back to "karaoke" level. Good voice, but part of it is to at least TRY to emote like Perry. Even Dean knew that. But if you're goal is to perform all of both albums and Arnel isn't up to it - guess you have to do something. But for the love of God - and I know it's an odd syncopation, but please spend a few minutes in sound check going over Troubled Child with AP - jeez. That was embarrassing. And it wasn't just AP - Ross was following AP... lol

Seems like the distance and inability to get together to properly rehearse is taking a toll... unfortunately.

Oh - and it seems like they are "sweetening" their backgrounds again - especially noticeable on Lay it Down...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:50 pm

tedpruitt wrote:Scarab -- not just you. LTS is ready to be retired for the encore if nothing else. New kid's vocals kind of takes it back to "karaoke" level. Good voice, but part of it is to at least TRY to emote like Perry. Even Dean knew that. But if you're goal is to perform all of both albums and Arnel isn't up to it - guess you have to do something. But for the love of God - and I know it's an odd syncopation, but please spend a few minutes in sound check going over Troubled Child with AP - jeez. That was embarrassing. And it wasn't just AP - Ross was following AP... lol

Seems like the distance and inability to get together to properly rehearse is taking a toll... unfortunately.

Oh - and it seems like they are "sweetening" their backgrounds again - especially noticeable on Lay it Down...

Agreed. LTS needs to be retired as the closing song of Journey's shows. Actually, I wish they'd drop it from the set altogether for a few years.

I'd love to see them eliminate "Lights" "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" and "Open Arms" and replace them with deeper cuts.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:47 am

Arnel doesn't hold "moon" for two minutes. :?
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 am

Damn, that was HORRIBLE. The band doesn't even sound in tune. That might well be the crappy YouTube/phone camera audio. But that can't explain the horrible timing. That honestly sounded like my high school band rehearsing a song for the first time.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby scarab » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 am

When they first announced an Escape Frontiers setlist the only thing I thought was Troubled Child live.
The more I listen to the clip the more I think, they should have never done it. Even Schon guitar sounds way off.
The only redeeming factor is Smitty and Cain matching the synth to a T.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 am

After seeing these videos, I'm feeling that these two albums may not work as well performed live as we thought. Sure, it's nostalgic and is cool as hell to hear them performed. But does the material, in the original song order, make for a good flow for a rock concert?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:32 am

Art Vandelay wrote:After seeing these videos, I'm feeling that these two albums may not work as well performed live as we thought. Sure, it's nostalgic and is cool as hell to hear them performed. But does the material, in the original song order, make for a good flow for a rock concert?

Well, as great of a song as "Faithfully" is, it's a horrible song to end a show with IMO. But they used to sometimes end shows with it.

I'd be perfectly fine with the order of the songs as they appeared on the albums, If I was lucky enough to see a show with them doing both Escape and Frontiers beginning to end.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:55 am

This is why they need Steve Augeri back in the band, but keep Arnel, too because they need to do Escape in order from start to finish and Frontiers in order from start to finish, and then tag on Lights, Wheel In The Sky and Any Way You Want It to end the show. That would be an awesome show.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 am

Both nights at the Budokan -
LTS Intro sounds like they were trying to replicate
the 1983 Frontiers intro to it.

Journey Live In Japan Feb.6.2017(Audio)
https://youtu.be/jZbwWKX1-rg

Complete Audience Recording.
Nippon Budokan.
Setlist
1.Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
2.Be Good to Yourself
3.Only the Young
4.Neal Schon Guitar Solo
5.Stone in Love
6.Any Way You Want It
7.Lights
8.Jonathan Cain Piano Solo
9.Open Arms
10.Who's Crying Now
11.Chain Reaction
12.La Do Da
13.Steve Smith Drum Solo
14.Wheel in the Sky
15.Faithfully
16.Don't Stop Believin'
Encore:
17.La Raza del Sol
18.Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

Journey Live In Japan Feb.7.2017(Audio)
https://youtu.be/aUb-bw_NEyM

Complete Audience Recording.
Nippon Budokan.
Setlist
New Intro (Walk on in the Dark)
1.Don't Stop Believin'
2.Stone in Love
3.Who's Crying Now
4.Keep on Runnin'
5.Still They Ride
6.Escape
7.Lay It Down
8.Dead or Alive
9.Neal Schon Guitar Solo
10.Mother, Father
11.Jonathan Cain Piano Solo
12.Open Arms
New Intro
13.Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
14.Send Her My Love
15.Chain Reaction
16.After the Fall
17.Faithfully
18.Edge of the Blade
19.Troubled Child
20.Steve Smith Drum Solo
21.Back Talk
22.Frontiers
23.Rubicon
Encore:
24.La Raza del Sol
25.Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:59 pm

JourneyHard wrote:This is why they need Steve Augeri back in the band, but keep Arnel, too because they need to do Escape in order from start to finish and Frontiers in order from start to finish, and then tag on Lights, Wheel In The Sky and Any Way You Want It to end the show. That would be an awesome show.

Big Augeri fan, but his voice isn't up for this material. Neither is Arnel's anymore really.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:This is why they need Steve Augeri back in the band, but keep Arnel, too because they need to do Escape in order from start to finish and Frontiers in order from start to finish, and then tag on Lights, Wheel In The Sky and Any Way You Want It to end the show. That would be an awesome show.

Big Augeri fan, but his voice isn't up for this material. Neither is Arnel's anymore really.

Therein lies a difficult reality the band has. Their catalog is so brutal that it shreds singers over time.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I don't think they're out to replicate the original songs (how it was delivered), anymore. The diehards are diminishing year by year. Those who go to their shows now are casual fans (relatively speaking) who just want to hear the songs ... no matter who is singing.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:24 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

This is why they need to hire 12 singers. 12 of them can specialize on one of the dirty dozen songs each so they sound perfect. Then Arnel can sing five songs of new material, and there's your show!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey