Marvel Movie thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:42 am

I think I'll wait for this one to hit video...or AMC.

95% Rotten Tomatoes; $700+ at the Box Office and a shart in the toilet for YoungJRNY. Will gladly skip Ragnarok just like all the others since The Dark World (saw a clip of Doctor Strange arguing with his cape's shananagians toward him. No thanks.)
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:14 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Some reviewers say this movie's on par with The Dark Knight. I hope so!

HOT DAMN. I won't ramp up the expectations to those levels, but in comparison to 'The Wolverine', 'Logan' is going to blow it out of the water as far as the conventional superhero movie is concerned. Atleast I hope so!

Logan plays foster daddy to a young female mutant. Annoying child sidekicks have killed so many movies. But we shall see...
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 am

Waiting for the 4:20 show to start. Will report back, my sister saw it Thursday and told me to not bring my son. That got my expectations up. Will report back tonight.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am

RedWingFan wrote:Waiting for the 4:20 show to start. Will report back, my sister saw it Thursday and told me to not bring my son. That got my expectations up. Will report back tonight.

I keep sayin' this is the Wolverine movie I've been waiting for.

No spoilers, please! :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:15 pm

It was an excellent movie. You guys won't be disappointed.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:13 am

Saw LOGAN last night with my brother. Absolutely fantastic film from scene 1 to close. It's the way Hugh deserves to go out and it was a satisfying way to get there. The story was superb, the acting was great and there was basically no beating around the bush or any wacky nonsense that normally ties these films down. The pacing was just about right (though, the movies run-time did creep in a bit in some places.) Just a straight up Wolverine film that took care of business and was directed in a near flawless manor for the X-franchise.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:15 am

Monker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnBBjjjAnY&index=385&list=UULRlryMfL8ffxzrtqv0_k_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_3h2t89Uk

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Some reviewers say this movie's on par with The Dark Knight. I hope so!

HOT DAMN. I won't ramp up the expectations to those levels, but in comparison to 'The Wolverine', 'Logan' is going to blow it out of the water as far as the conventional superhero movie is concerned. Atleast I hope so!

Logan plays foster daddy to a young female mutant. Annoying child sidekicks have killed so many movies. But we shall see...

I would typically agree but here it's FLAWLESSLY executed. Laura made the film tighter and much stronger as a centric part of the film. The core of Logan stands out as THEE best in the X-franchise by a mile and half. It's one of those movies that doesn't necessarily need to be lumped with its other comic book movie counterparts. The film stands on its own IMO.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:41 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnBBjjjAnY&index=385&list=UULRlryMfL8ffxzrtqv0_k_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_3h2t89Uk

Thank you very much...

In Roman times, a thumb up was probably the signal for "Yes" to kill the gladiator.

Thumbs down probably meant, "Hey, I thought that was awesome. Now sit down in your seats or I'll have you executed." You can tell that is the meaning by the way he gives a death stare to the crowd.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 am

Finally saw Logan last night.

Not only is it the best Wolverine movie, and the best mutant CBM (though it's really a tie with First Class, though I prefer the more personal nature of Logan), it is now my favorite Marvel movie.

Jackman and Stewart turn in note-perfect performances. Eriq La Salle and Elise Neal have small parts, but they do extremely well, too. Richard E. Grant plays the perfect, clinical, icily detached scientist asshole. Stephen Merchant's great as Caliban, too.

But for me, the show-stealer was Dafne Keen, the 12-year-old who plays X-23. I don't think they could've found anyone better who could be so feral yet so sweet. But she's not one-dimensional. I wager we're going to be seeing a LOT more of her in the X-verse. I won't doubt she'll be in X-Force if that movie happens. She'll definitely have her own movie, eventually.

The only downside to the film, if you can call it that, is that we had to wait 18 years to see this kind of unhinged Wolverine action. People get carved up — literally! This is slice 'n dice Ginsu action, with some of the best sequences set to film (any one of them blows away everything Singer's ever attempted). I'm just glad the identity of Wolverine's ultimate foe wasn't spoiled...whew! :)

What a movie.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:14 am

That writeup is just as good as the film was, v. Fantastic review. I agree whole heartily. I won't go into any more detail than what I'm about to with one scene so (minor spoilers) that hotel sequence was one of the best scenes I've seen in a superhero movie to date. That was some breathtaking stuff!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:That writeup is just as good as the film was, v. Fantastic review. I agree whole heartily. I won't go into any more detail than what I'm about to with one scene so (minor spoilers) that hotel sequence was one of the best scenes I've seen in a superhero movie to date. That was some breathtaking stuff!

I liked every action sequence: the desert hideout/escape, the hotel, the farm, the finale. But that hotel sequence was something NEW. We've never seen something like that. They didn't even spoil that in the trailer (because they hadn't put the effect on it, I guess). They didn't rush it, either. I loved how Laura (X-23) was always in the middle of everything. I haven't liked a kid actor that much since...well, ever! The movie is drenched with death, and most of it is sad. But the antagonists' comeuppance is immensely satisfying.

The movie's a trip in that The Wolverine was solid (better than Origins), but I didn't care for the showdown with Silver Samurai. But with Logan, Mangold really found his voice.

Logan was made for a few nickels shy of 100M, and it's already made north of 250M WW. This movie is ALREADY into profit...or am I nuts? :lol:

P.S. Hilarious that Marvel is now trying to get people excited over Thor: Ragnarok while Logan is fresh into its hit-ness. Does anyone give a shit? (I keep reading Iron Fist sucks, too.)
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 am

Btw, I hated that stupid and wholly unnecessary Deadpool 2 teaser. I didn't need to see Reynolds strip inside a phone booth (set to John Williams' Superman theme).
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 am

verslibre wrote:Btw, I hated that stupid and wholly unnecessary Deadpool 2 teaser. I didn't need to see Reynolds strip inside a phone booth (set to John Williams' Superman theme).

My brother was cracking up but I was too busy marveling in one of the best scores of all time. Sounded great on the big screen but I'm glad we got the Deadpool shit over with once 'Logan' started (and what a way to open!)
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:12 am

I would totally be up for a drawing of X-23 putting her adamantium claws straight through the top of Jason's (Superman Returns) head :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Recently watched documentary on Roger Corman's shelved Fantastic Four film. Man, really makes Stan Lee look like a snake.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Recently watched documentary on Roger Corman's shelved Fantastic Four film. Man, really makes Stan Lee look like a snake.

Stan is an icon, but he is despised by many, I mean a ton, of comics creators.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:58 am

Btw, TNC, there's no way you won't like Logan.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:07 am

verslibre wrote:Btw, TNC, there's no way you won't like Logan.

Ur right. I loved it. Saw it last night. Possibly goriest action movie since Rambo? But the splatter aside, it had heart. What a great final send off.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 am

Glad you liked it, TNC. IMO, there was no conceivable way that you wouldn't like Logan. It was THAT good. I also agree on the amount of heart it had. So much so that the gory nature of the film didn't stick out as a distraction. Instead, the gore fit the overall tone of the film itself, unlike Deadpool. The gore in Deadpool stuck out way too much for me to care about the lackluster story it was to begin with. Logan's story was an ALL IN situation as a fan and everything else seamlessly followed.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 pm

The Amazing Tony Stark-Dad 3 Featuring Spider-Man trailer:
http://comicbook.com/2017/03/28/video-s ... r-2-hd--2/
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

This guy who writes for The Verge says that trailer blows the whole movie. :lol:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15087388/spider-man-homecoming-trailer-spoilers
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:07 am

verslibre wrote:This guy who writes for The Verge says that trailer blows the whole movie. :lol:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15087388/spider-man-homecoming-trailer-spoilers

No goddamn question about it. What the FUCK are they doing? Jesus Christ. If the trailer didn't look like a generic piece of candy corn enough, they blow the film in it anyway. Tsktsk.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

Spider-Man May Exit The Marvel Cinematic Universe After 'Homecoming' Sequel
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/29/ ... erse-sony/
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 am

That looks like crap. :lol: