A Close Up Of Steve's Speech

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:14 pm

MotherCitay
45 RPM

Re: A Close Up Of Steve's Speech

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:29 pm

https://twitter.com/NealSchonMusic?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor

Having the best time in Steve's room last night before the induction

he said to me coffee is way over due ..;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2162284255

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4305609374

Actually it would have been great to have Herbie participate in the induction last night in someway only he can tell the story correctly
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:37 pm

With all the love flying around between Steve and Neal since the HOF induction, this is the perfect time for Steve to invite Neal to play on his new album :P

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.3032288

After Friday's induction, guitarist Neal Schon told reporters backstage that he really enjoyed reuniting with Perry, who he has had his ups and downs with over the years.

"Just to see him, he's in a really great frame of mind," Schon said. "He's a changed person and I liked who I saw. It just moved me."
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 am

Actually it would have been great to have Herbie participate in the induction last night in someway only he can tell the story correctly

I was hoping the camera would zoom in on Herbie in the audience .... but here he is speaking recently at Steve Sage's Memorial, March 26, 2017 ... he comes on at about the 40 sec mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAsYGR69Wo
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:24 am

Very happy to see and read this. As disappointing as it was to not see Steve sing with them just one more time, it makes me think that:

- if he had sung with them, the rumors of him possibly coming back would never die. It was more about dignity than pride for both him and the band that he didn't sing, and this finally put closure to it.

- perhaps this is what was holding up the solo release. Now that the Steve Perry chapter of Journey is officially closed, both he and Journey can move on without any looming questions. From the sounds of Steve's interview with ABC radio, his solo album will be happening.

- hopefully connections have been re-established and all of the petty lawyer bullshit is no longer necessary to communicate.

- Maybe...just maybe...they can collaborate somehow, someway in the future.

From Neal's posts over the weekend, it all sounds good! Here's hoping to a fun future for Journey and for Steve.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:38 am

You can see Jon in the background wincing and you know he is thinking, "Steve Perry, dude, do you have to cuss so much?"
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 am

JourneyHard wrote:You can see Jon in the background wincing and you know he is thinking, "Steve Perry, dude, do you have to cuss so much?"

Ha ha, I thought the same thing. I think alot of people were a bit surprised with Perry swearing. Ross was going off hysterically in the background.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 am

I thought it was great... after all R&R is supposed to be rebellious...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Regarding Steve's swearing...Steve is a hard swearer. when he curses, he's not trying to be cool or down...that's just him. It is very natural, never forced, and is a part of his thinking. I would have thought Jon would have known that, and I am surprised that many don't know that about Steve.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby steveo777 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 am

I felt it really cool that Steve gave the shout out to Arnel. In a sense it was a kind of passing of the baton and a further validation of Arnel. I'd really hoped that Steve would sing, like everyone else, but it is what it is. I think all the guys were really happy to see each other. It felt genuine.
steveo777
MP3

Postby tj » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Regarding Steve's swearing...Steve is a hard swearer. when he curses, he's not trying to be cool or down...that's just him. It is very natural, never forced, and is a part of his thinking. I would have thought Jon would have known that, and I am surprised that many don't know that about Steve.

I have followed this band for 40 years and had no idea. It's not hard to keep it clean, especially at an event like this. I think that Jon's expression, which was the first thing I noticed, was spot on. It doesn't mean that Jon didn't know he does it, probably just thought it wasn't necessary.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 am

tj wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:Regarding Steve's swearing...Steve is a hard swearer. when he curses, he's not trying to be cool or down...that's just him. It is very natural, never forced, and is a part of his thinking. I would have thought Jon would have known that, and I am surprised that many don't know that about Steve.

I have followed this band for 40 years and had no idea. It's not hard to keep it clean, especially at an event like this. I think that Jon's expression, which was the first thing I noticed, was spot on. It doesn't mean that Jon didn't know he does it, probably just thought it wasn't necessary.

He wasn't the first to throw an f-bomb that night and it's rock and roll. Not sure why it matters. It's just a word or two.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am

Pretty sure Steve throws the f-bomb here at 2:17, and may explain Jon's face at 2:19. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2lJ0Jq-yPI
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Perry did everything write in his words and actions during his "thank you". He deserves a lot of credit from everybody for being so unselfish, towards Herbie, Neal, and Arnel. So many people say he owes the fans this and that. I never believed that to be true. What he "owes" is to be honest with himself and others, to acknowledge others contributions and his own faults...and to humble himself due to both . He did that here and I thought it was perfect.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:09 pm

There was the famous bottle incident on the Frontiers tour when Neal was hit in the head, and Perry was dropping some F-bombs then. But in his defense his swearing was in anger over someone hitting Neal with a bottle.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:46 am

When I heard Perry cussing, I immediately was thinking, "I wonder what Jon is thinking about this?" :lol:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with Art Vandelay. I think it was probably more proper of Perry not to perform with the band that night. I think he truly wanted to officially pass the torch to Arnel Pineda. For him to recognize Pineda like he did was so awesome to hear. No matter what one may think about Arnel Pineda, to have Steve's blessing is huge. And, of course, what better way to officially pass the torch than to let Pineda perform with the band on their biggest stage of their careers? It was a proper closure between Perry and the other Journey guys. And hearing Schon gush over Perry and talk about how he [Steve Perry] is a changed man shows that the hatchet may have finally been buried.

Hope that meeting over coffee actually does happen between Perry and Schon. I have no expectations that any such meeting would ever lead to any professional collaborations between the two, but maybe it will help nudge this alleged solo album out a little faster. I don't have any expectations for that either, but hopefully they can stay in touch.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey