Was it just me...

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Was it just me...

Postby Tomulator » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 am

Or did anyone else sense the tension between Smitty and Perry at the RRHOF ceremony?

It was almost as if they ignored each other...and Steve Smith went out of his way to praise AP every chance he had...and not really any significant mention of SP that I can recall. Not even Jon and Neal.

Hard feelings still?? Hmmm...hope not!

And while I'm at it...I found it really odd that NONE of the current members of "Journey" gave much if any recognition to each other (and to Perry). What was up with that? Had to just be the "nerves" of the moment...

SP was the ONLY one to acknowledge and appreciate the others...just find that odd.

Wonder if Neal and Steve have had that "cup of coffee" yet. 8)

P.S. WHY oh WHY hasn't SP done any interviews etc. on this important event?! Not even AFTER it was over...weird.
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Re: Was it just me...

Postby scarab » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 am

i thought Jon and Perry seemed to have the most tension between them. He did not even crack a smile at his cursing when All the other guys seemed to laugh or smile.

Yes it is sad that only one (not even sure it was official) interview was done w/ Perry.
Would be great to hear what he thought of the event.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 am

It's hard to asses the band dynamic these days. Most of the members live in different states (or in Arnel's case, a different country). I give Cain credit for paying respect to SA and Deen. Perry's speech was the best. Not just because he is Steve mother fucking Perry, but because it put everything in historical context and told a story.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby George_g888 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 am

With Perry, aside from giving his speech (He did a great job, great speech) I thought he looked uncomfortable with everyone up there. Just my opinion.

FWIW, I didn't sense any tension at all between Cain & Rolie or between Smith and Dunbar- Not that there would be any tension. But its just good to see there wasn't.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby slucero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 pm

I thought it was absolutely the coolest thing that Perry singled out Cindy and Lora...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:00 am

Tomulator wrote:Or did anyone else sense the tension between Smitty and Perry at the RRHOF ceremony?

It was almost as if they ignored each other...and Steve Smith went out of his way to praise AP every chance he had...and not really any significant mention of SP that I can recall. Not even Jon and Neal.

And while I'm at it...I found it really odd that NONE of the current members of "Journey" gave much if any recognition to each other (and to Perry). What was up with that? Had to just be the "nerves" of the moment...

SP was the ONLY one to acknowledge and appreciate the others...just find that odd.

P.S. WHY oh WHY hasn't SP done any interviews etc. on this important event?! Not even AFTER it was over...weird.

No, its not just you...Smitty and Dunbar ignored Steve when he was up there, Gregg looked with a grumpy old bird, Jon looked scared and guilty that Steve might say something that would expose them (during SP's speech) despite the fact that "I know him". Ross looked pleased that Steve was there and NEAL ACTUALLY CARED about him. And Steve's speech, he remembered almost everyone (forgot SA and JSS, though). Great class act... the others...not NEARLY as much...except Neal!!!
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
Tomulator wrote:Or did anyone else sense the tension between Smitty and Perry at the RRHOF ceremony?

No, its not just you...Smitty and Dunbar ignored Steve when he was up there, Gregg looked with a grumpy old bird, Jon looked scared and guilty that Steve might say something that would expose them (during SP's speech) despite the fact that "I know him". Ross looked pleased that Steve was there and NEAL ACTUALLY CARED about him. And Steve's speech, he remembered almost everyone (forgot SA and JSS, though). Great class act... the others...not NEARLY as much...except Neal!!!

Could be hard feelings, could also be just feeling awkward standing up on stage. I doubt if Smith or Dunbar were put in that position very often, to speak in front of a huge crowd. Ross has always been chill on stage and Neal has taken the role of head Journeyman on stage a while ago. Steve was always a top notch front man, playing with the crowd. He pulled out a lot of his old tricks that night and did a superb job of it. He proved that he still has 'it'. Maybe this rubbed some of the guys the wrong way, especially since nobody knew if he was even showing up until the last minute. Or maybe not? We'll never know, and their personal feelings should stay that way. Personal.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 am

Wow, I just didn't see that. Looked like those guys really weren't sure what to expect, would it be Mr Perry from behind Door 1 or Door number 2...I think it has just been so long and so much water under the bridge that they had no idea what to expect and how to react. I mean it could have been the boobie prize from behind Door number 3! I am just glad that finally the 2 main protagonists in all this drama figured a little bit of forgiveness, understanding and love for themselves and each other could change their realities. Now, they just have to figure out when to have the ☕️ and leave their egos at the door.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:47 am

I did notice that Smitty did not seem thrilled to see SP, which kind of surprised me. They seemed very close back in the day. Neal and Ross seemed genuinely glad to see him, the others....not so much.
I was impressed with SP's speech. It seemed sincere, and covered all the bases, including praising Arnel for "singing his heart out every night". Hopefully some fences have been mended, and I am glad for that.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby WIX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 am

How could it not be strange for all. Perry communicates through his lawyer. Steve is way out of the loop as he has not been the front man for years. So he can only relate to the past. Where as many of the others are still at it and can relate to past and present. I just wish he would release some damn music, if he chooses not to sing live so what, but release something. Cain thanking Augeri and Deen, about time, the rest seem to act like that never happened.
WIX
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 am

People really do like reading into things ...
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:46 am

Or is no one from the entertainment industry saying congrats to Steve? No one has said a word either online or in print?!? Thanks a lot for singing and singing for 10 years and your sweat and blood you gave while recording 9 albums...here's your hat...what's your hurry?

And no, the attitudes towards Steve was obvious. The only one who cared at all was Neal who bothered to mentioned Steve and thank him. THE--ONLY--ONE! And Steve was the only one who gave his attention to his former band mates and not his back. The rest all stood around like they were viewing a body at a funeral.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 am

It happened as those things happen. No one had seen the man in years. They didn't know if they were supposed to love him or slug him. Most people have someone in the family who disappears for awhile and then out of the blue from nowhere they show up...So, he's made amends (kind of) with Neal but he's got to somehow deal with the rest of the members of the band who have no idea what is going on with him and I think he's got some explaining to do to them before this can go forward.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 am

I don't know, I think people are reading into this a little too much.

Jon is a changed man now, living his life for Christ. He's married to a minister. I think laughing or smiling at Perry's cursing would be a sign of acceptance, and he probably doesn't care to listen and accept that kind of language anymore. I don't think his body language gave off an impression that he held tension with Perry. In fact, it kind of sounded like he and Perry were in contact with each other prior to the Hall of Fame, because Cain seemed to know exactly what was going down that night when everyone else was speculating.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 am

Ross and Jon and wives with Steve before Induction.
17800147_992425040789738_8700120050494449842_n.jpg
17800147_992425040789738_8700120050494449842_n.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 am

17629834_992424097456499_3991950892863883845_n.jpg
17629834_992424097456499_3991950892863883845_n.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 am

17883685_1921833898032224_4521303367870622988_n.jpg
17883685_1921833898032224_4521303367870622988_n.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 7972 times
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyLFN » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Great pics tater! Thank you for sharing these! I don't see any tension in those!
JourneyLFN
Ol' 78

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 am

It was clear on stage. I've seen those same pictures, but I saw it right away. I was seating in my seat way up top and I saw it. I said to myself, whoa.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Return to Journey