Journey Drummer Steve Smith and Drum Guru Rob Wallis

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Drummer Steve Smith and Drum Guru Rob Wallis

Postby tater1977 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 am

05/08/17 Journey Drummer Steve Smith and Drum Guru Rob Wallis

http://entertalkradio.com/jackiesgroove ... ob-wallis/

@ 35.35 mark might give a slight hint at Smitty's attitude towards SP...
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Journey Drummer Steve Smith and Drum Guru Rob Wallis

Postby perryfan61 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:51 am

" Most dynamic frontman Journey's ever had"??? Although I respect Arnel's hard work with the band, I would hardly say he is a more dynamic frontman than SP was.
He certainly has a lot of energy on stage, but he doesn't interact with the audience very much.
Then again, I suppose Smitty has to keep up a united front with the rest of the band.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 am

I don't know if that was really a dig at Perry. If you think of the sheer energy of running around and jumping all over the place, then yeah Arnel is pretty damn dynamic. Smith jokingly compared him to Bruce Lee in a recent interview, so I get that. And with the singer's torch now officially passed on to Arnel, there's no reason not to praise him.

Smith is also very good at promoting and selling his current project or situation. If you read or listen to any of his interviews from the past 20 or so years, whenever he is asked what his favorite projects or albums are that he's ever worked on, he'll usually mention about three...and one of the is always the most recent that he's worked on. He mentioned Trial By Fire as one of his favorite albums in a 1997 interview. So giving Arnel some props is not only a compliment, but also a way to help get more a$$es in the seats.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:41 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't know if that was really a dig at Perry. If you think of the sheer energy of running around and jumping all over the place, then yeah Arnel is pretty damn dynamic. Smith jokingly compared him to Bruce Lee in a recent interview, so I get that. And with the singer's torch now officially passed on to Arnel, there's no reason not to praise him.

Smith is also very good at promoting and selling his current project or situation. If you read or listen to any of his interviews from the past 20 or so years, whenever he is asked what his favorite projects or albums are that he's ever worked on, he'll usually mention about three...and one of the is always the most recent that he's worked on. He mentioned Trial By Fire as one of his favorite albums in a 1997 interview. So giving Arnel some props is not only a compliment, but also a way to help get more a$$es in the seats.

AP is a good singer and I enjoy a few of the songs he does. But running around and jumping all
over the place does not make a great singer.

The singer has to command attention and put his heart into the singing.
He /she would have to grab my attention from the 1st note to the end, except
maybe a beer run. :lol: I would pay to go see a singer like this.

I wouldn't pay to go see someone throw a mic up in the air, jump up/down or
just run around on stage. That does not make a singer to me.

Maybe less running, jumping, flipping mics and more concentrating on singing
without over-singing, I would go see him again. Met him back in 2012 and he
is a great dude.

I think with all the 'unclarity' between NS JC RV lately its just souring a lot of
fans.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 am

tater1977 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't know if that was really a dig at Perry. If you think of the sheer energy of running around and jumping all over the place, then yeah Arnel is pretty damn dynamic. Smith jokingly compared him to Bruce Lee in a recent interview, so I get that. And with the singer's torch now officially passed on to Arnel, there's no reason not to praise him.

AP is a good singer and I enjoy a few of the songs he does. But running around and jumping all

is a great dude.

I think with all the 'unclarity' between NS JC RV lately its just souring a lot of
fans.

Oh I agree with you...just offering where I thought Smith's comment was coming from.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

is a great dude.

fans.

Oh I agree with you...just offering where I thought Smith's comment was coming from.

Ah, ok sorry. They are all out promoting their 'side' projects and trying to get interest
in them . Kinda feels like 1984-85, discombobulated. And when they added Travis
on stage, but kept in the dark :?: Now allowing him a solo or two ... what is going on :?:
:(
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Tomulator » Fri May 12, 2017 3:48 am

I personally think Smitty needs to look at a few old live videos when SP was around...that would do the trick.

AP the most dynamic singer Journey ever had...LOL! :lol:

Yeah, right...

Sorry folks, but as great a person as he is, AP is not even in SP's league as a frontman/lead singer, esp when Perry was in his prime. AP would be the first one to tell you that too.

8)
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm

tater1977 wrote:AP is a good singer and I enjoy a few of the songs he does. But running around and jumping all

Best singer since SP from a technical standpoint. But lousy frontman. No connection at all. I've seen Augeri shows where the entire place was a a party. The vocals were the farthest thing from anybody's mind.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Moonglow » Mon May 15, 2017 12:32 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:AP is a good singer and I enjoy a few of the songs he does. But running around and jumping all

Best singer since SP from a technical standpoint. But lousy frontman. No connection at all. I've seen Augeri shows where the entire place was a a party. The vocals were the farthest thing from anybody's mind.

I tend to agree. I've never connected with Arnel, despite his superior vocal chops. Augeri had a better connection with the audience and stage presence that fit better with the band's overall presentation...of course, IMHO.
Moonglow
Ol' 78

Postby Marzdog » Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Best singer since SP from a technical standpoint. But lousy frontman. No connection at all. I've seen Augeri shows where the entire place was a a party. The vocals were the farthest thing from anybody's mind.
QFT
Marzdog
45 RPM

Return to Journey