New Styx album

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: New Styx album

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed May 31, 2017 4:05 am

I also noticed that Radio Silence hasn't shown up on YouTube. There is one video of it there but it is blocked by UMe. So they are doing their best to keep leaks from getting out.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 31, 2017 11:01 am

Styx put on a great performance at SiriusXM Radio HQ in Midtown Manhattan on May 15, 2017 for an upcoming episode of Artist Confidential that's set to air between June 16-28 on the satellite radio service's Classic Rewind channel. (Keep an eye out here on Styxworld and the official Styx Facebook page for any potential updates re the air dates.)

The hour-long performance and Q&A was hosted by the one and only Alan Hunter, one of the original MTV VJs. Hunter made a point of noting at the outset of the session, which commenced at 1 p.m. ET, that he and guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw both grew up in Alabama, and he later observed that Styx had the ninth video ever played on MTV when the music channel debuted on August 1, 1981: the live performance clip of "Rockin' the Paradise."

Styx performed a total of seven songs and answered Qs from Hunter about the content and substance of The Mission, the band's upcoming 16th studio album that's being released on June 16 via Alpha Dog 2T/UMe (and can still be preordered right here). Styx played inside what's known as "The Fishbowl" to an intimate audience of about 60 enthusiastic SiriusXM subscribers (including yours truly) and their guests, all seated on a tight-quartered tier of metal bleachers facing the band. Tommy later observed that it may have been the closest they've been to an audience in quite some time, albeit literally separated by a layer of glass.

Even so, the band was clearly energized by the immediate and quite energetic audience response. "It felt great," Tommy said later that afternoon. "I loved it!!"

Yesterday marked the first official live performance of a key track from The Mission, "Radio Silence," which was absolutely stunning, to say the least. Tommy also played a few riffs from and sang some of the lyrics to "Mission to Mars" while answering one of Hunter's Qs about the new album. We won't give away all of the songs the band played in The Fishbowl, but it must also be said original bassist Chuck Panozzo totally nailed his signature bass-riff break during "Fooling Yourself."

As is often the case whenever a band performs in The Fishbowl at SiriusXM, a cavalcade of familiar names and faces will pass by and observe the proceedings, and yesterday was no exception. Among the cognoscenti were Sandra Bernhard, Eddie Trunk, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil (who stopped dead in his tracks to listen to "Radio Silence" with a clear grin on his face), Gary Dell'Abate of The Howard Stern Show, and Hoda Kotb of The Today Show, who briefly joined the audience in the stands and literally sang along to every word of "Too Much Time on My Hands" (verses included!).

We're now only a month away from the release of The Mission, and Styx's upcoming episode of Artist Confidential will be a nice companion to the album, without a doubt. Well done, lads!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Gone Gone Gone and Radio Silence are both growers. I initially liked them, but now I really like them and am playing them regularly. I'm really excited about this album. I haven't bothered to see Styx since the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour because I was sick of the same old setlist. Tommy mentioned maybe playing this album in its entirety at some point. I would travel quite a distance to see that show. It's a great time to enjoy Styx music. Styx themselves are finally releasing new and seemingly very high quality material, and Dennis' band is now able to play any Styx song in the catalog and Dennis seems to be hinting at working on releasing a new album of his own. The best of times, you might say.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 am

ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 am

Tommy's speaking voice is really trashed here, yet when he sings, it's totally clear.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 pm

It's all about the bass. On The Mission

http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/ ... ideo/62980
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm really surprised there are still no leaks. And no videos of Radio Silence on YouTube. I only saw one to begin with but it wouldn't play, blocked by UMe.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:It's all about the bass. On The Mission

http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/ ... ideo/62980

So I was right... Chuck does play bass on One Hundred Million Miles. Just sounded like his style to me.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:I'm really surprised there are still no leaks. And no videos of Radio Silence on YouTube. I only saw one to begin with but it wouldn't play, blocked by UMe.

They seem to have a very focused and tight marketing plan. They are doing a great job. In 2003 for Cyclorama, they didn't have facebook or any of the other social media to work with. Now, with over one million followers on facebook, twitter, and instagram it changes everything. As I write this, The Mission is the 43rd overall best selling CD on Amazon. That will go much higher this weekend. For comparison, Cheap Trick's new CD which also comes out on the same day is in the 110th spot on the chart.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Predictions for the billboard chart? I'll say between 20-30
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:02 am

Archetype wrote:Predictions for the billboard chart? I'll say between 20-30

I'll guess 15 on Billboard based on 2 months of presales all hitting at the same time.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Archetype wrote:Predictions for the billboard chart? I'll say between 20-30

I'll guess 15 on Billboard based on 2 months of presales all hitting at the same time.

Definitely a huge jump from where Brave New World and Cyclorama ended up
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 am

Ill guess it will peak at 39.

Will sales through Styxworld.com count?
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 am

yogi wrote:Ill guess it will peak at 39.

Will sales through Styxworld.com count?

Yes, and if you bought a bundle that had vinyl and CD it will count as 2. They will also get sales credit for streaming. Since Big Bang Theory made it to the 40s, I would expect The Mission to do much better with 2 months of promo. But I could be wrong.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

The Mission is currently sitting in the 31st position across all genres on the amazon sales chart. I would look for a much better showing over the weekend. Katy Perry look out ;)
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 pm

ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:35 am

It will have 1 week on the chart and then disappear. They shoot their load to get that first week and then because there are no songs to sustain it, it will be one and done...Buh Bye!
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:54 am

Toph wrote:It will have 1 week on the chart and then disappear. They shoot their load to get that first week and then because there are no songs to sustain it, it will be one and done...Buh Bye!

I must say, it is good to hear opposing opinions here. I feel you give your honest opinion which is something old Froy never seemed to do here. He would just blast everything no matter what. You should check out the new Cheap Trick which is also out tomorrow. The 4 songs that are out so far sound great!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 am

Toph wrote:It will have 1 week on the chart and then disappear. They shoot their load to get that first week and then because there are no songs to sustain it, it will be one and done...Buh Bye!

As of 8:45pm today The Mission is at #27 on the overall sales chart on Amazon.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 pm

The Mission is now available on iTunes! About to start the first listen! Finally!!!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Wow! This needs several listens to take it all in. At this point I can't compare it to any other Styx album.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby blt man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:39 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Wow! This needs several listens to take it all in. At this point I can't compare it to any other Styx album.

I will have more comments once I have had a chance to listen a few times. But, I will say this. I am convinced that if this was a Dennis led project, people would be laughing at the theme, claiming he has lost his mind and become too theatrical and wondering who writes rock music about a going to space. I am not sure The Mission (or any of the songs) is an allegory for anything and I don't think you can write something like this without it being an allegory (i.e. there is no double meaning). There is too much Tommy, sounds like a solo record with high harmonies. This needed another Gowan led song. Still like Radio Silence the best. Also the song that was written by Will Evankovitch (Locomotive) is not bad but after a few more listens I may have a different view point.

The album is on Spotify. If you are ok listening to an occasional ad, you can listen without buying at this point. I will get a better sense of this once my actual CD arrives and I can listen in the car.
blt man
45 RPM

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:56 pm

I've been through it 3 time now with headphones. The production is outstanding! This is a great album! I kept trying to guess what it would sound like based on past albums. I was way off! It flows perfectly start to finish. My favorite songs so far are locomotive, red storm, outpost, and radio silence. There is not a bad song on here!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:16 pm

blt man wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Wow! This needs several listens to take it all in. At this point I can't compare it to any other Styx album.

I will have more comments once I have had a chance to listen a few times. But, I will say this. I am convinced that if this was a Dennis led project, people would be laughing at the theme, claiming he has lost his mind and become too theatrical and wondering who writes rock music about a going to space. I am not sure The Mission (or any of the songs) is an allegory for anything and I don't think you can write something like this without it being an allegory (i.e. there is no double meaning). There is too much Tommy, sounds like a solo record with high harmonies. This needed another Gowan led song. Still like Radio Silence the best. Also the song that was written by Will Evankovitch (Locomotive) is not bad but after a few more listens I may have a different view point.

The album is on Spotify. If you are ok listening to an occasional ad, you can listen without buying at this point. I will get a better sense of this once my actual CD arrives and I can listen in the car.

In answer to the question, who writes music about going to space? David Bowie and Pink Floyd.
Once you listen a few times through it really comes together as a great album..... my opinion.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 pm

My main issue is the lack of rockers and the lack of song development! Is it just me or do songs like Trouble At The Big Show & Time May Bend basically go verse to chorus to solo to chorus to end? Are there even 2nd verses? I wish they would have developed such tracks more. They almost seem pointless being that short. (And I really am digging Time May Bend.)
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby masque » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:42 am

RumTumJM wrote:My main issue is the lack of rockers and the lack of song development! Is it just me or do songs like Trouble At The Big Show & Time May Bend basically go verse to chorus to solo to chorus to end? Are there even 2nd verses? I wish they would have developed such tracks more. They almost seem pointless being that short. (And I really am digging Time May Bend.)

concept album songs tend to have shorter or jagged structures. see "the wall" for example.......personally, I love the fact that the songs seem to work the way they do, without trying to follow an ABABCBB structure.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:45 am

who write's songs about going to space?

like what was already said, floyd and bowie to name a few......but i'll add in;

styx
elton john
billy thorpe
queen
kansas
rush

do you need anymore examples? look, people will either dig it or not. personally, i think a story about man's first manned trip to Mars is actually very interesting, because there is a real good chance most of us will live to actually see that happen. so for me, i find the story interesting. if you don't that's cool. but don't dismiss because you think "nobody does it"......see the list above.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:30 am

RumTumJM wrote:My main issue is the lack of rockers and the lack of song development! Is it just me or do songs like Trouble At The Big Show & Time May Bend basically go verse to chorus to solo to chorus to end? Are there even 2nd verses? I wish they would have developed such tracks more. They almost seem pointless being that short. (And I really am digging Time May Bend.)

Gee, where have we heard this statement before? It's on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember. :D 8)
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:33 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

To think back to all the past discussions here about how chart positions and performance of singles from Styx albums really means nothing. Evidently now it does.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:47 am

Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

To think back to all the past discussions here about how chart positions and performance of singles from Styx albums really means nothing. Evidently now it does.

You're right, to the average fan it means nothing. To the artist, its huge. From my point of view, the better it sells, the better chance we will see more new music from the band in the future. Btw, now at #9 on the rock chart and #17 overall. :D
Last edited by ChicagoSTYX on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Styx