DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:31 am

Both movies are "all ages" films. The PG-13 rating didn't stop parents from taking their very young children, even after webtalk of the scene with Pine in the jacuzzi.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 am

verslibre wrote:Both movies are "all ages" films. The PG-13 rating didn't stop parents from taking their very young children, even after webtalk of the scene with Pine in the jacuzzi.

Ah, so your critique of GotG2, and Marvel in general, for earning the attention of younger viewers is just empty and biased critique because you know DC is doing THE EXACT SAME THING...just not as good of a job.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Both movies are "all ages" films. The PG-13 rating didn't stop parents from taking their very young children, even after webtalk of the scene with Pine in the jacuzzi.

Ah, so your critique of GotG2, and Marvel in general, for earning the attention of younger viewers is just empty and biased critique because you know DC is doing THE EXACT SAME THING...just not as good of a job.

Get with the times, bruh. "All ages" nowadays means anything that isn't R-rated. When anything/everything is available at your fingertips, a guy fig-leafing his privates while vacating a hot tub to grab his pants is no big deal. No need to spin everything.

And, yes, GOTG2 is kiddie fare. There's a difference between dubbing something kiddie fare, and an "all ages" category.

DC isn't doing as good of a job? In what respect? Content? They're certainly not injecting their films with artificial humor. Marvel's the clear winner there.

Money? If Wonder Woman hits the 700 million mark, the DCEU will have grossed (theatrically) $2.986 billion dollars. The average worldwide gross of each DCEU entry (four total) to date will be 746.7 million.

Sounds like they're doing alright. :wink:

Btw, Wonder Woman is kicking Doctor Strange's ass. At the three week mark, WW has earned 100 million more domestically. Doctor Strange didn't get anywhere near 293 million stateside during its 19-week run. Wonder Woman's been in theaters three weeks. Wonder Woman has yet to open in ten more countries, including Japan, Sweden, Singapore, and India.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:00 pm

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:

Get with the times, bruh. "All ages" nowadays means anything that isn't R-rated. When anything/everything is available at your fingertips, a guy fig-leafing his privates while vacating a hot tub to grab his pants is no big deal. No need to spin everything.

LOL. There is absolutely no difference in the audience that WW and GotG go after. You are just too DC oriented to admit it.

I didn't say anything about Pine's penis. You are the one who seems to like to concentrate on it. Frankly, I thought it was dumbest scene in the movie and should have been cut. It would have been a lot better to have Drax there laughing and saying how small it is. "HAHAHA, you thought she was talking about your penis. ..but it was just your watch. You must have mistaken the two because they are both so small. HAHAHA You must be so embarrassed! HAHAHA! Do you need a hug?!" THAT would have been funny.

Btw, Wonder Woman is kicking Doctor Strange's ass. At the three week mark, WW has earned 100 million more domestically. Doctor Strange didn't get anywhere near 293 million stateside during its 19-week run. Wonder Woman's been in theaters three weeks. Wonder Woman has yet to open in ten more countries, including Japan, Sweden, Singapore, and India.

You are comparing a Fall release to a Summer release. Not only that but Doctor Strange had actual competition with Fantastic Beasts. WW has had NO real competition. WW is more comparable to GotG2, which was a summer movie and also had no real competition. 850million gross and counting, since it is still being shown. In fact the first GotG was LATE summer movie and should have made less but it still crushes WW.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:26 am

Monker wrote:LOL. There is absolutely no difference in the audience that WW and GotG go after. You are just too DC oriented to admit it.

Take a break, cool down and go get some more Hateorade, I mean Gatorade. The amount of Electrolytes you're losing from moving those goalposts is starting to creep into your posts, causing fatigue and reply-vomit. It's CLEAR Wonder Woman and DC as a whole are trying to appeal to a different crowd, most notably a more mature audience with their DC properties while adjusting to make their DCEU more universal (we'll see if DC would follow through with Leto's Joker tee'ing off on Tim Drake in the manor that won't be suitable for children.) Oh and the female audience for WW was largly targeted and the female crowd came through in huge bunch's, not the 5-10 year olds Marvel films like GoTG2 brought in:

Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Winning Big With Female Audiences
The opening weekend audience skewed over 50% female, which is itself a notable achievement for a genre that typically appeals largely to the young and male. I was part of that number and I have a few thoughts on what’s got women happily shelling out to see Gal Gadot’s armored heroine in action.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureenhe ... e6074e1f20

Hollywood's ideas about audiences are outdated. Wonder Woman's record-smashing debut proves it.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/5/15 ... en-figures

I didn't say anything about Pine's penis. You are the one who seems to like to concentrate on it. Frankly, I thought it was dumbest scene in the movie and should have been cut. It would have been a lot better to have Drax there laughing and saying how small it is. "HAHAHA, you thought she was talking about your penis. ..but it was just your watch. You must have mistaken the two because they are both so small. HAHAHA You must be so embarrassed! HAHAHA! Do you need a hug?!" THAT would have been funny.

Good God. Remember the 5-10 year old demograph I just mentioned? You fall under it :lol: It's making much more sense each day.

You are comparing a Fall release to a Summer release. Not only that but Doctor Strange had actual competition with Fantastic Beasts. WW has had NO real competition. WW is more comparable to GotG2, which was a summer movie and also had no real competition. 850million gross and counting, since it is still being shown. In fact the first GotG was LATE summer movie and should have made less but it still crushes WW.

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:22 am

Rumor: DC Wants to Make 3 to 4 Superhero Films a Year
http://screenrant.com/dceu-warner-bros- ... view=lista
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:31 am

BoxOfficeReport.com
@BORReport
Wonder Woman passed the $300M domestic mark on Friday after grossing an estimated $7.35M for the day. 22-Day total is $300.56M. #WonderWoman

Wonder Woman's 4th Friday number of $7.35 mil is strong and ranks second on Fandago in ticket sales. Incredible BO performance. It should play in theaters ALL summer even though it's destined to lose theaters with SM:HC coming out soon. $700+ is about a lock.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 am

Monker wrote:LOL. There is absolutely no difference in the audience that WW and GotG go after. You are just too DC oriented to admit it.

Yeah, I guess you're right. There is no difference. But one sec, let me get you on the line with this one guy I know who insists Wonder Woman is a wholesale rip-off (minus Themyscira) of Captain America: The First Avenger. This guy also gushed non-stop about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, raving because it's a "sci-fi comedy." (Note the absence of keywords like "CBM" and "superhero," to name two.) Clearly, the guy prefers one style of movie to the other. He also gave me shit because I wouldn't go see Power Rangers. :lol:

Monker wrote:I didn't say anything about Pine's penis. You are the one who seems to like to concentrate on it. Frankly, I thought it was dumbest scene in the movie and should have been cut. It would have been a lot better to have Drax there laughing and saying how small it is. "HAHAHA, you thought she was talking about your penis. ..but it was just your watch. You must have mistaken the two because they are both so small. HAHAHA You must be so embarrassed! HAHAHA! Do you need a hug?!" THAT would have been funny.

No surprise that you enjoy forced humor. :wink:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Btw, Wonder Woman is kicking Doctor Strange's ass. At the three week mark, WW has earned 100 million more domestically. Doctor Strange didn't get anywhere near 293 million stateside during its 19-week run. Wonder Woman's been in theaters three weeks. Wonder Woman has yet to open in ten more countries, including Japan, Sweden, Singapore, and India.

You are comparing a Fall release to a Summer release.

:lol: Stop. Is that the reason GOTGV2 has made as much as it has? Early summer? Kids are in school in May AND November.

Monker wrote:Not only that but Doctor Strange had actual competition with Fantastic Beasts.

:lol: You big goalpost-moving baby. Fantastic Beasts came out two weeks after Doctor Strange.

What came out one week after Wonder Woman? The Mummy.

What came out two weeks after Wonder Woman? Cars 3.

What came out this week? The Last Knight — the latest Transformers episode (and by many a hilarious review, possibly the worst, next to the second film).

Wonder Woman was said to have a solid chance at staying in the #2 spot this weekend. WW and Cars 3 are practically a dime away from each other.

Both Disney and Warner Bros. are respectively reporting exactly $25.175M for Cars 3 and Wonder Woman. But industry averages see it different with Wonder Woman leading $25.05M in second and Cars 3 at $24.6M. Disney with its higher estimates is projecting that matinee business will lift them higher than Wonder Woman. We’ll see tomorrow morning. Wonder Woman crossed $300M this weekend and will soon beat Suicide Squad ($325M) and Batman v. Superman ($330M) to become the third highest DC movie at the domestic B.O. after Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/transformers-the-last-knight-opening-weekend-box-office-1202118976/

So it looks like Wonder Woman is actually giving the competition — The Mummy, Cars 3, The Last Rough (K)night — a solid beating, if not beatdown. :wink:

Monker wrote:WW has had NO real competition.

You're full of shit and you know it. Two big franchise films and one hopeful franchise-starter tentpole (that flopped) opened against Wonder Woman. Princess Diana has has weathered the storm. :)

Ready for this?

As for WB's Wonder Woman, it continues to live up to its protagonist's name, dropping only 39% in its fourth weekend in release. The film is now just shy of $320 million domestically and is now out-pacing all three of the previous DC Extended Universe releases as it now passes Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which had brought in $311.3 million after the same number of days in release. To that point, Wonder Woman has already outgrossed the entire domestic run for Man of Steel, is ~$7 million away from outgrossing the domestic run for Suicide Squad and will surpass Batman v Superman's $330.4 million run over the next few days, which will make it the third largest DC Comics adaptation domestically, behind only The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4301&p=.htm

Monker wrote:In fact the first GotG was LATE summer movie and should have made less but it still crushes WW.

Quit, already. It was released August 1. And it had NO competition ALL month long.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=theatrical&date=2014-08-01&p=.htm

The Expendables 3
and Sin City: A Dame To Kill For failed. There's nothing else in there worth mentioning.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
BoxOfficeReport.com
@BORReport
Wonder Woman passed the $300M domestic mark on Friday after grossing an estimated $7.35M for the day. 22-Day total is $300.56M. #WonderWoman

Wonder Woman's 4th Friday number of $7.35 mil is strong and ranks second on Fandago in ticket sales. Incredible BO performance. It should play in theaters ALL summer even though it's destined to lose theaters with SM:HC coming out soon. $700+ is about a lock.

Go ahead and engrave the plate! :D

Bankin' another 25 mill this weekend, too.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 am

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Still The Energizer Bunny Of Superhero Movies With $653M Worldwide
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 2125ff28ee
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 am

This thread has devolved into 'My dad can beat up your dad'

Who gives a rat's ass how much money a CBM has made, DC...OR...Marvel. Or if movie 1 overdid movie 2.

It's a dick-waving contest.

It's almost football season. I asked a question in the NFL thread that's gone unanswered. Please rectify that.

:lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 am

S2M wrote:Who gives a rat's ass how much money a CBM has made, DC...OR...Marvel. Or if movie 1 overdid movie 2.

Monker and all the other DC haters, obviously. :lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:34 am

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 am

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Stumbled across this video from a forum member. Happy I did and glad to learn how there is a term for the usage of such dramatic humor just for the sake of it. This sums up my problem with the MCU very well (or other films that use "bathos" technique.) I could never fully articulate well enough to make the point stand out other than my viewpoint sound like ill-placed humor so it's cool to watch that confirms something that has always been there in the back of my mind.

What Writers Should Learn From Wonder Woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QhdzQo66o
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 am

Another day, another Wonder Woman box office post! As long as you keep reading them, I'll keep writing them. Wonder Woman ended its fourth weekend with $318.111 million after 24 days of domestic play and earned $3m yesterday, a drop of just 36% from last Monday, for a $321.186m domestic cume. That means it passed the unadjusted domestic gross of Iron Man ($318.5m in 2008 and sans 3D) yesterday, will top Suicide Squad ($325m) today and is days away from passing Batman v Superman ($330m). Oh, it should pass the $665m worldwide cume of Jennifer Yuh Nelson's (still awesome) Kung Fu Panda 2 either today or over the next day or two to become the biggest global grosser ever from a solo female filmmaker.

Now for the record, as much grief as we've given the DC Films franchise over the last year or so, I think it stands to reason that any cinematic universe where the lowest-grossing installment (out of four thus far) sits at $291 million domestic/$668m worldwide (Man of Steel) is doing pretty well. So, as the headline asks, can Wonder Woman make it to $400m domestic by the time it finishes? Well, as befitting most long-term questions with a yes or no answer, the answer is "maybe."

There was a time not long ago when I was merely hoping that the $150 million production would make at least $85m on opening weekend (on par with Logan, Thor: The Dark World and Doctor Strange) and leg it to $225m-$235m domestic with enough overseas muscle to put it squarely in the black. And after opening weekend, I was hopeful that it might have the legs of a popular Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and make it to $265-$275m by the end. Well, it is day 26 of the film's domestic release, and it has shown remarkable staying power.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/27/box-office-wonder-woman-might-just-leg-it-to-400-million/#270d05a33aa5
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:51 am

Zack posted this today!

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Stumbled across this video from a forum member. Happy I did and glad to learn how there is a term for the usage of such dramatic humor just for the sake of it. This sums up my problem with the MCU very well (or other films that use "bathos" technique.) I could never fully articulate well enough to make the point stand out other than my viewpoint sound like ill-placed humor so it's cool to watch that confirms something that has always been there in the back of my mind.

Wow, that is way over-analyzed. Wonder what he would do with something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4UJJPEyGA
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:13 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:19 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 am

Finally getting to watch Wonder Woman. I'll let you know what I think later this evening.

At first blush...I'd say it's your typical origin story...albeit with an above average female lead. I'm not a big fan of plots in CBM...they're usually vapid, and transparent. Dialogue, and character interaction are what drive a movie, NOT plot. Plot matters in certain types of movies...this is not one of them.

Chris Pine acts the same in every movie, and that's not a bad thing AT ALL. So the comment about Gal and Chris working well together isn't very profound. There is some of that cheesy bathos stuff...not as bad as some other movies, but it IS there.

The things going for this movie, so far...are tone, color palette, era...and that it is a STRONG female lead. Other than that it's your typical CBM fare.

....to be continued.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:13 am

S2M wrote:Chris Pine acts the same in every movie, and that's not a bad thing AT ALL.

I'm going to disagree. I don't see his James Kirk or Toby Howard or Steve Trevor being the same. He's got more range than guys like Hemsworth, Rudd (pfft) and Duchovny (cool actor, but don't say he has a ton of range).
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:23 am

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:20 am

Over $700 mil and climbing!

Wonder Woman Crosses $700 Million Worldwide
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/02/wond ... ox-office/
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:56 am

Wonder Woman is still racing toward a $380m+ domestic total, meaning it will be neck-and-neck with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($383m after this weekend with maybe $5m left in the tank). And once it passes Deadpool ($363m in 2D and with an R-rating), it'll be the second-biggest origin story/non-sequel comic book superhero movie ever after Spider-Man ($403m back in 2002).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/07/02/box-office-wonder-woman-soars-past-700-million-worldwide/#3ea9595723ef
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Deb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:46 pm

S2M wrote:

I'll be waving mine next year. :lol: if I had one. :lol:

https://youtu.be/q0cisvJymcY
Now Playing: Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Live. https://youtu.be/e9YPFXVNINU?si=zDfcdUBpoaDSatLG
Deb
MP3

Postby S2M » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Deb wrote:
S2M wrote:

It's a shame men and women aren't valued for what's on the inside. :roll: :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:36 am

Deb wrote:
S2M wrote:

Wiggle! :lol:

Did you see The Bad Batch? Read a review. Sounds like a cool flick.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:51 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Stumbled across this video from a forum member. Happy I did and glad to learn how there is a term for the usage of such dramatic humor just for the sake of it. This sums up my problem with the MCU very well (or other films that use "bathos" technique.) I could never fully articulate well enough to make the point stand out other than my viewpoint sound like ill-placed humor so it's cool to watch that confirms something that has always been there in the back of my mind.

Very good vid.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara