Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Postby Lora » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 am

FamilyMan wrote:
Marabelle wrote:This is a mess. If I was Mr Perry I would stay as far away as I could from this while it's being brewed . Although I do think people got thrown out of place with Mr Perry actually showing up and laughing talking and holding hands with Arnel that night. It seems like a dream. Amazing how you can talk about love and admiration and it is true yet you keep yourself stuck in an old familiar place of unforgiveness and pain. The ego is strong.

I see it a different way. That night was SP taking his rightful place among the best of rock's best, accepting the honor - yet humbly admitting that it was the ensemble which made it what it was. He therefore credited others. What he did with -and for- Arnel was pass the torch and say, "This isn't mine anymore. It's yours. You've earned it." It gave the fans (and HBO) permission to not run the band offstage when it became clear he wasn't going to sing with them. And, Arnel had the balls to take the torch.

Very nicely said.
Lora
8 Track

Postby perryswoman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 am

I saw the post on CNN too. Bet Neal loved it lol
Come back Steve Perry!!
perryswoman
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Fact Finder wrote:Well, stupid piece by CNN..never mind, no new news, just a cliched piece using Journey songs lyrics as a prop to the piece. MTV type shit by renowned CNN journalist Jeannie Moos. :wink:

Here's the video of it.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... in-pkg.cnn
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:39 pm

FamilyMan wrote: And, Arnel had the balls to take the torch.

Such balls. :roll: What is he going to do? Hide in his dressing room? If I was getting paid what he is getting paid, I would take the torch too.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Greg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 am

Did you guys see the TMZ video of Jon Cain? When asked about Journey breaking up, Jon flat out refuted the idea and said, "The band is not breaking up." Wow! Power struggle!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 am

What doesn't make sense to me is this:

Everyone knows Neal's pissed off. Everyone knows what happened and how it was represented - either by AP/RV/JC (?) or by the media. Why does Neal continue, every single day, to fan the flames? The rest of the band knows yer pissed. You've obviously talked to lawyers and stuff. Why not let it go at this point? Just seems like you're happy to keep the bad vibes going. If you're all about Journey, then I don't get that. I guarantee that on Neal's FB/Twitter pages, most of the followers will support Neal. On Arnel's page, they'll support Arnel, on JCs page, etc...

Why keep the bad vibes up? Makes no sense to me and it just seems that he wants keeping this going. Everybody would've forgotten it by now if it wasn't for Neal beating this drum constantly.

I don't think it's the wives doing it, btw. There's no way a group of guys making this kinda dough in this business are gonna just let their wives take over their feeds and act as a band member and say a bunch of stuff to break up the band.

FFS- Neal, let it go and move on. Take a vacation.

Having said this, I actually agree with Neal, but I don't agree with whipping it up day after day. I also think it's pretty lame to keep banging the Steve Perry drum. While Arnel's ok with SP coming back in, those kinds of things from Neal just say "Hey Arnel, you and I both know that I and everyone else in the world would rather have Steve Perry in the band". Whether that's a fact or not, you don't do that to your current singer and you DEFINITELY don't do that to a FRIEND.

Big Neal fan here, but losing a lot of respect for him at the moment.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 am

Journey should play this set list from now and forever:
1. Higher Place
2. Separate Ways
3. Only The Young
4. Stone In Love
5. Edge of the Moment
6. Lights
7. Open Arms
8. Feeling That Way
9. Anytime
10. Remember Me
11. Who's Cryin' Now
12. Change for the Better
13. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
14. Escape
15. Wheel in the Sky
16. Faithfully
17. Don't Stop Believin'
18. Any Way You Want It
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:10 am

brywool wrote:What doesn't make sense to me is this:

Everyone knows Neal's pissed off. Everyone knows what happened and how it was represented - either by AP/RV/JC (?) or by the media. Why does Neal continue, every single day, to fan the flames? The rest of the band knows yer pissed. You've obviously talked to lawyers and stuff. Why not let it go at this point? Just seems like you're happy to keep the bad vibes going. If you're all about Journey, then I don't get that. I guarantee that on Neal's FB/Twitter pages, most of the followers will support Neal. On Arnel's page, they'll support Arnel, on JCs page, etc...

Why keep the bad vibes up? Makes no sense to me and it just seems that he wants keeping this going. Everybody would've forgotten it by now if it wasn't for Neal beating this drum constantly.

I don't think it's the wives doing it, btw. There's no way a group of guys making this kinda dough in this business are gonna just let their wives take over their feeds and act as a band member and say a bunch of stuff to break up the band.

Having said this, I actually agree with Neal, but I don't agree with whipping it up day after day. I also think it's pretty lame to keep banging the Steve Perry drum. While Arnel's ok with SP coming back in, those kinds of things from Neal just say "Hey Arnel, you and I both know that I and everyone else in the world would rather have Steve Perry in the band". Whether that's a fact or not, you don't do that to your current singer and you DEFINITELY don't do that to a FRIEND.

Probably the same reason that Perry has insisted only communicating through his lawyers for over a decade, and completely ignoring all of Neal and band's overtures...because they are all ego maniacs that can't grow up long enough to put their drama aside. And why should they? They have all spent their lives hearing non stop how great they are, and how much they walk on water. Why should they act like real adults when what they are doing is working just fine?

How you and I behave in the real world is most likely always going to be different than how these guys behave. On one hand, it makes no sense. But on the other hand, it makes perfect sense.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby SusieP » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 am

brywool wrote:

It may not be the wives actually doing the typing of the posts but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't influencing their husbands thoughts on the matter. And both ladies look to me to be quite strong in their ways.
Drip, drip, drip goes the poison into the husband's ear.
Making bullets for the guys to fire.

Neal's angry. Understandable.
But maybe if Neal's wife wasn't a reality tv personality her default setting would not be to air thoughts on social media. It would be, stay off Twitter/facebook until you have had time to think before you post.

Hope you are well, Bry, by the way. :)

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby SusieP » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 am

Onestepper wrote:
brywool wrote:
Probably the same reason that Perry has insisted only communicating through his lawyers for over a decade, and completely ignoring all of Neal and band's overtures...because they are all ego maniacs that can't grow up long enough to put their drama aside. And why should they? They have all spent their lives hearing non stop how great they are, and how much they walk on water. Why should they act like real adults when what they are doing is working just fine?

How you and I behave in the real world is most likely always going to be different than how these guys behave. On one hand, it makes no sense. But on the other hand, it makes perfect sense.

I loved how SP made a mention of his Lawyers at the Hall of Fame ceremony.
:D

And as you say, Neal has made clear his displeasure on a public forum.
Everyone has got the message.
Time to let it drop now and talk about it face to face with the White House visitors and Management.

I understand why Neal is furious. I don't want Politics and religion in the music I listen to.
But what I don't know is what Neal wants to happen now?
A public apology?
A public acknowledgement that a long standing agreement had been ignored etc?
Will either of these things resolve this?

Or does he believe the stone has been fractured beyond repair and cannot be stuck back together with Duct Tape?

Interesting goings on.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am

Greg wrote:Did you guys see the TMZ video of Jon Cain? When asked about Journey breaking up, Jon flat out refuted the idea and said, "The band is not breaking up." Wow! Power struggle!

I'm sure this isn't the first Neal Schon temper tantrum that he's dealt with over the last 35 years. I'm thinking that's why he's been keeping his mouth shut so far, he has probably learned over the years to ignore them until Neal finds something better to occupy his time. I can only imagine the tantrum when Steve wouldn't make up his mind about getting his hip fixed.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 am

brywool wrote:Why does Neal continue, every single day, to fan the flames? The rest of the band knows yer pissed. You've obviously talked to lawyers and stuff. Why not let it go at this point? Just seems like you're happy to keep the bad vibes going. If you're all about Journey, then I don't get that. I guarantee that on Neal's FB/Twitter pages, most of the followers will support Neal. On Arnel's page, they'll support Arnel, on JCs page, etc...

Publicity! That's why Neal is continuing on with this charade. And no-one can deny this is getting huge publicity for the band. A band that already planned on taking this long break a few years ago.

As they say, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Personally I hate that that is the case. Ideally everyone would have enough class and dignity to not do bad things for publicity. But greed makes many people do many bad things.

I agree with you that Journey (Or anyone who's making that kind of money) would not allow their meddling wives to end the gravy-train for them. But I definitely do believe that the two con-artists that are Jonathan and Neal's wives are heavily involved in this publicity stunt. And it's obvious to me that Neal is not the person who is typing all of his internet posts.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am

And don't forget that in addition to getting Journey publicity, Neal also plans on releasing 3 solo albums in 2018, which he wants people to buy.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Journey fans don't even buy Journey albums anymore...

Neals solo stuff that got bought had radio hits.. like "No More Lies" from Schon-Hammer, and that was 1982

Unless he's gonna make a album of sing-along songs....Pretty sure Neal is not expecting 20-something, Dirty Dozen, lay-Journey fans to buy his solo stuff...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 am

My thought…Journey may soon be following the path of the Beach Boys. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Journey brand, whether we like it or not, is now defined by live performances of the greatest hits. Watch any live video and it's obvious by the "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nahs" and "woh-oh--oh-oohhhhsss!" being sung by the crowd. The majority doesn't want new music, they want the classics. Any chance of redefining a live Journey performance now would be the final nail in the band's coffin.

If both Jonathan and Neal decide to each carry on the band's legacy in their own way, one would have to follow the classic Journey blueprint. Between the two, Neal has more name recognition, so he would have better success separating himself from the Journey banner. More people would go see 'Neal Schon's JRNY' than they would 'Jonathan Cain of Journey'.

So, in my opinion, the best solution would be to split up into two camps. Jonathan, Ross and Arnel (if he's still up to it) follow the Mike Love path and tour under the Journey banner. They continue to give the greatest hits crowd the jukebox show, teaming up with the other classic rock bands on the summer shed tours. Neal follows the Brian Wilson path and starts up his JRNY project, which gives him the freedom to play what he wants, with who he wants (revolving musicians would be cool), with no opening acts, in a more intimate setting. There are no set expectations to hear a greatest hits show from him. He could dig as deep as he wants. Hell, he doesn't even have to bring on another Perry clone. Maybe rethink some of the dirty dozen, get a bluesy singer in there to give it a whole new fresh treatment. Aynsley Dunbar's band recorded a roadhouse blues version of La Do Da. Sure, I prefer the original, but his band's version held its own.

Everyone's happy, and the audience gets what they want, when they want. And we'll see them all together again at the 50th anniversary reunion tour.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 am

slucero wrote:Journey fans don't even buy Journey albums anymore...

Neals solo stuff that got bought had radio hits.. like "No More Lies" from Schon-Hammer, and that was 1982

Unless he's gonna make a album of sing-along songs....Pretty sure Neal is not expecting 20-something, Dirty Dozen, lay-Journey fans to buy his solo stuff...

Since marrying Michaela (sp?), Neal's antics haven't really been publicity in search of sales. Just publicity for the sake of publicity.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tj » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:28 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Since marrying Michaela (sp?), Neal's antics haven't really been publicity in search of sales. Just publicity for the sake of publicity.

That seems to be her MO. Sort of Khardashianesque.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 am

tj wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

That seems to be her MO. Sort of Khardashianesque.

I can assure you the band's publicist and management are not in favor of this.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:05 am

FamilyMan wrote:I can assure you the band's publicist and management are not in favor of this.

So why did they allow an official music video promoting Eclipse featuring Neal and Michaela frolicking on the beach? It was pure reality TV-type smut.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 am

I love Resonate, best Journey Rocker since Sep Ways, but even after the horrid video with neal and his wife rolling around on the beach still makes me wanna hurl. Ok Sep Ways video was bad as well, but in a campy way.
It sucks I cannot listen to Resonate without picturing the video.

for those that wanna hurl: :lol:

better than ipecac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30kTck4hCLI
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:28 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Everyone's happy, and the audience gets what they want, when they want. And we'll see them all together again at the 50th anniversary reunion tour.

Are you serious? Are my calculations off or would someone be dead or in a retirement home? Like Gregg or Steve? He really wouldn't show up then. :lol:
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:38 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Everyone's happy, and the audience gets what they want, when they want. And we'll see them all together again at the 50th anniversary reunion tour.

Are you serious? Are my calculations off or would someone be dead or in a retirement home? Like Gregg or Steve? He really wouldn't show up then. :lol:

Yeah...I was just bringing the Beach Boys comparison full circle. Pardon my sense of humor.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:04 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:I can assure you the band's publicist and management are not in favor of this.

So why did they allow an official music video promoting Eclipse featuring Neal and Michaela frolicking on the beach? It was pure reality TV-type smut.

I was referring only to the latest war of words.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I was referring only to the latest war of words.

I don't see how anyone thinks either the video or the latest are the best way to help the band.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby koberry » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 pm

What an amazing song and performance. The beach scenes with Michaele seared my retinas ahead of this week's ECL1P53
koberry
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:41 pm

tj wrote:I don't see how anyone thinks either the video or the latest are the best way to help the band.

I don't really think Management cares about this band at all. When the SA lineup appeared on the reality show Blind Date, the show pretty much made fun of the band. Management should have had control over the final edit.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Jana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:29 pm

scarab wrote:I love Resonate, best Journey Rocker since Sep Ways, but even after the horrid video with neal and his wife rolling around on the beach still makes me wanna hurl. Ok Sep Ways video was bad as well, but in a campy way.

better than ipecac

You'd have to pay me a million dollars to watch that. The first viewing when it came out was painful enough.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am

The Little Caesars Arena opens up soon in Detroit. Little Caesars is famous for Pizza! Pizza! which meant you got two pizzas for one low price. Maybe the Little Caesars Arena can host Journey! Journey! which would be Jon's Journey and Neal's JRNY on the same bill. Oh sorry :D
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:54 am

Jana wrote:
scarab wrote:I love Resonate, best Journey Rocker since Sep Ways, but even after the horrid video with neal and his wife rolling around on the beach still makes me wanna hurl. Ok Sep Ways video was bad as well, but in a campy way.

better than ipecac

You'd have to pay me a million dollars to watch that. The first viewing when it came out was painful enough.

I loved Resonate until the video came out for it. I can't stand the song any longer as a result. All it conjures up in my mind now are images of Neal and his trash Kardashian wannabe wife.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 am

Journey's Backstage Drama 'Was Not Evident at All' on Tour, According to Carl Palmer of Asia

8/15/2017 by Gary Graff

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -interview

If Journey is coming apart at the seams, which recent social media postings particularly by guitarist Neal Schon would indicate, it didn't appear to be the case to those around the group during its latest North American tour.

"It was not evident at all," Carl Palmer of Asia, which opened for Journey throughout the spring and early summer, tells Billboard. "They were incredibly professional... probably the most professional band I've ever toured with, and their crew was just phenomenal. And the standard they produced each night really got me thinking that if we were to carry on with Asia, we have to step up and get to the standard they have."

And, Palmer adds, there was no animosity visible among the Journey members even with heated tweets and Facebook postings swirling around about inner-band politics and, most recently, a White House visit with President Donald Trump by Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Arnel Pineda.

"They -- by 'they,' I mean Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon -- would pass each other in the corridor, and they would fist bump each other, so you couldn't see any of that (animosity) at all," Palmer says. "That was all going on in social media but it was not going on onstage and it was not going on in the corridors.
I don't think it's ever a wise thing to wash your laundry in public, but that's their prerogative. If that's what they wish to do and what they think is right, then that's up to them... All I can tell you is they were utmost in their professionalism every which way, and I was just absolutely knocked out."

Palmer says the 40-plus dates with Journey "was phenomenal" for Asia, especially after the death of singer-bassist John Wetton on Jan. 31 at the age of 67. Billy Sherwood, who also replaced the late Chris Squire in Yes, filled in at Wetton's own suggestion, allowing Asia to soldier on.

"We were very positive right up to the last three week sof John's life; he really wanted to do the tour and thought he'd be able to," Palmer recalls. "We explained to Journey that we couldn't do this because John had died, and Journey's management and agents came back and said, 'No, we want you. Get it sorted out.' So we used Billy -- that was the one person John wanted us to use -- and we had a phenomenal time. It was a great experience all around, and I'm pleased we did it. John would have loved to be on that tour, so I'm pleased we did it for him, anyway."

Asia's future, however, is on hold for the moment. "There's nothing planned right now," Palmer says. "I'm not saying it's not going to happen. It's a bit soon. There are no plans to carry on as we speak; That's not to say it won't happen, we just haven't had time to talk about it and how we'll do it."

Palmer says it's likely to be a topic of conversation during Yestival, which features his ELP Experience band, while Asia keyboardist Geoff Downes is part of Yes. Palmer is also planning to bring the ELP Experience back for a 17-date tour during the fall, and as the last surviving member of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, he's also been supervising the re-release of the progressive rock trio's catalog, including the upcoming Fanfare box set due out Sept. 29.

"The music has stood the test of time as far as back catalog sales -- we're probably one of the highest that you'll talk to in the prog rock area," Palmer says. "So I'm very happy with BMG [which is handling the reissues], and happy we can get this music out there again and make sure it lives on."
Last edited by tater1977 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Journey