Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Postby tj » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey's Backstage Drama 'Was Not Evident at All' on Tour, According to Carl Palmer of Asia

8/15/2017 by Gary Graff

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -interview

If Journey is coming apart at the seams, which recent social media postings particularly by guitarist Neal Schon would indicate, it didn't appear to be the case to those around the group during its latest North American tour.

"It was not evident at all," Carl Palmer of Asia, which opened for Journey throughout the spring and early summer, tells Billboard. "They were incredibly professional... probably the most professional band I've ever toured with, and their crew was just phenomenal. And the standard they produced each night really got me thinking that if we were to carry on with Asia, we have to step up and get to the standard they have."

And, Palmer adds, there was no animosity visible among the Journey members even with heated tweets and Facebook postings swirling around about inner-band politics and, most recently, a White House visit with President Donald Trump by Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Arnel Pineda.

"They -- by 'they,' I mean Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon -- would pass each other in the corridor, and they would fist bump each other, so you couldn't see any of that (animosity) at all," Palmer says. "That was all going on in social media but it was not going on onstage and it was not going on in the corridors. I don't think it's ever a wise thing to wash your laundry in public, but that's their prerogative. If that's what they wish to do and what they think is right, then that's up to them... All I can tell you is they were utmost in their professionalism every which way, and I was just absolutely knocked out."

Palmer says the 40-plus dates with Journey "was phenomenal" for Asia, especially after the death of singer-bassist John Wetton on Jan. 31 at the age of 67. Billy Sherwood, who also replaced the late Chris Squire in Yes, filled in at Wetton's own suggestion, allowing Asia to soldier on.

"We were very positive right up to the last three week sof John's life; he really wanted to do the tour and thought he'd be able to," Palmer recalls. "We explained to Journey that we couldn't do this because John had died, and Journey's management and agents came back and said, 'No, we want you. Get it sorted out.' So we used Billy -- that was the one person John wanted us to use -- and we had a phenomenal time. It was a great experience all around, and I'm pleased we did it. John would have loved to be on that tour, so I'm pleased we did it for him, anyway."

Asia's future, however, is on hold for the moment. "There's nothing planned right now," Palmer says. "I'm not saying it's not going to happen. It's a bit soon. There are no plans to carry on as we speak; That's not to say it won't happen, we just haven't had time to talk about it and how we'll do it."

Palmer says it's likely to be a topic of conversation during Yestival, which features his ELP Experience band, while Asia keyboardist Geoff Downes is part of Yes. Palmer is also planning to bring the ELP Experience back for a 17-date tour during the fall, and as the last surviving member of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, he's also been supervising the re-release of the progressive rock trio's catalog, including the upcoming Fanfare box set due out Sept. 29.

"The music has stood the test of time as far as back catalog sales -- we're probably one of the highest that you'll talk to in the prog rock area," Palmer says. "So I'm very happy with BMG [which is handling the reissues], and happy we can get this music out there again and make sure it lives on."

I have loved Carl Palmer for years. Seems like an intelligent and really good guy. His perspective sort of lines up with what others have been saying about seeing anything on tour.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey's Backstage Drama 'Was Not Evident at All' on Tour, According to Carl Palmer of Asia

8/15/2017 by Gary Graff

If Journey is coming apart at the seams, which recent social media postings particularly by guitarist Neal Schon would indicate, it didn't appear to be the case to those around the group during its latest North American tour.

"It was not evident at all," Carl Palmer of Asia, which opened for Journey throughout the spring and early summer, tells Billboard. "They were incredibly professional... probably the most professional band I've ever toured with, and their crew was just phenomenal. And the standard they produced each night really got me thinking that if we were to carry on with Asia, we have to step up and get to the standard they have."

And, Palmer adds, there was no animosity visible among the Journey members even with heated tweets and Facebook postings swirling around about inner-band politics and, most recently, a White House visit with President Donald Trump by Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Arnel Pineda.

"They -- by 'they,' I mean Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon -- would pass each other in the corridor, and they would fist bump each other, so you couldn't see any of that (animosity) at all," Palmer says. "That was all going on in social media but it was not going on onstage and it was not going on in the corridors. I don't think it's ever a wise thing to wash your laundry in public, but that's their prerogative. If that's what they wish to do and what they think is right, then that's up to them... All I can tell you is they were utmost in their professionalism every which way, and I was just absolutely knocked out."

Palmer says the 40-plus dates with Journey "was phenomenal" for Asia, especially after the death of singer-bassist John Wetton on Jan. 31 at the age of 67. Billy Sherwood, who also replaced the late Chris Squire in Yes, filled in at Wetton's own suggestion, allowing Asia to soldier on.

"We were very positive right up to the last three week sof John's life; he really wanted to do the tour and thought he'd be able to," Palmer recalls. "We explained to Journey that we couldn't do this because John had died, and Journey's management and agents came back and said, 'No, we want you. Get it sorted out.' So we used Billy -- that was the one person John wanted us to use -- and we had a phenomenal time. It was a great experience all around, and I'm pleased we did it. John would have loved to be on that tour, so I'm pleased we did it for him, anyway."

Asia's future, however, is on hold for the moment. "There's nothing planned right now," Palmer says. "I'm not saying it's not going to happen. It's a bit soon. There are no plans to carry on as we speak; That's not to say it won't happen, we just haven't had time to talk about it and how we'll do it."

Palmer says it's likely to be a topic of conversation during Yestival, which features his ELP Experience band, while Asia keyboardist Geoff Downes is part of Yes. Palmer is also planning to bring the ELP Experience back for a 17-date tour during the fall, and as the last surviving member of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, he's also been supervising the re-release of the progressive rock trio's catalog, including the upcoming Fanfare box set due out Sept. 29.

"The music has stood the test of time as far as back catalog sales -- we're probably one of the highest that you'll talk to in the prog rock area," Palmer says. "So I'm very happy with BMG [which is handling the reissues], and happy we can get this music out there again and make sure it lives on."

This would help suggest what I and several others have said about this being a publicity stunt on the part of Schon and the rest of Journey.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am

Wonder if something else was getting Schon all pissy and the
WH visit just kind of topped it off with the others being the
targets and he just finally blew his top :?:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 am

I remember that back around the time of Bad English that Neal and Jonathan would talk about being like brothers to each other. It seemed to suggest at the time that they were extra close friends beyond just music.

I know that things can change over 25 years or so. But those past comments about being like brothers has been on my mind as this drama plays out.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
This would help suggest what I and several others have said about this being a publicity stunt on the part of Schon and the rest of Journey.

Would be interesting to see if ticket sales increased over these last few weeks
with all the BS going on with Schon and Journey. Were people actually running out
to buy tickets as they were claiming, thinking this might be the last time
to see them in concert :?:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby koberry » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 am

Funny you'd ask that. I took my 13 year old son to see Journey in Raleigh a few weeks ago. I first saw them in 1981 at the Cow Palace on the E5C4P3 tour and this was his first concert. A big part of my motivation was that I'm not sure they'll tour again.
koberry
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

tater1977 wrote:Wonder if something else was getting Schon all pissy and the
WH visit just kind of topped it off with the others being the
targets and he just finally blew his top :?:

Neal has liked a tweet by a fan that mentioned this WH visit was the last straw.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

8/15/2017 by Gary Graff

Man what a publicity stunt and a bad one at that!!! Pitting one another AND using the wives AND FANS against each other too! Dang Neal AND Jon, you have injured a lot of people including Arnel in your carnage. Thanks for nothing aholes!
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:22 pm

koberry wrote:Funny you'd ask that. I took my 13 year old son to see Journey in Raleigh a few weeks ago. I first saw them in 1981 at the Cow Palace on the E5C4P3 tour and this was his first concert. A big part of my motivation was that I'm not sure they'll tour again.

I had a couple friends that did this too. Just been hoping it wasn't
a publicity stunt, using fans. If it was, how low can a band go...
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

8/15/2017 by Gary Graff

Man what a publicity stunt and a bad one at that!!! Pitting one another AND using the wives AND FANS against each other too! Dang Neal AND Jon, you have injured a lot of people including Arnel in your carnage. Thanks for nothing aholes!

The wives are far from innocent in this. While Neal and Jonathan could and should tell them to stay the hell out of it, and shame on them for not doing that! I strongly believe that the wives played a huge roll in this. They're con-artists. They or their PR people may very easily be the ones who cooked this publicity stunt up.

I think that Arnel is fully aware of what's going on, and is fine with it. To an extent, it also got him publicity for his album and tour.

I do agree that it is low of them to try to pull off this publicity stunt.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:41 am

The Journey issues are no publicity stunt. I've got sources on that. Without revealing them, just ask yourself what good is supposed to come out of this social media war? The band has been doing well touring. Nothing about this is going to sell an extra ticket.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 am

AR wrote:The Journey issues are no publicity stunt. I've got sources on that. Without revealing them, just ask yourself what good is supposed to come out of this social media war? The band has been doing well touring. Nothing about this is going to sell an extra ticket.

One does not need a source, only common sense. This is not a publicity stunt in the sense of a band deciding hey, let's stir up some shit. Maybe Neal enjoys all the people replying to him and he craves that type of publicity and then keeps it going. But this is no planned thing by band or management. Anyone is loony to think otherwise.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby perryswoman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 am

What a bunch of crazies!!
Come back Steve Perry!!
perryswoman
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:16 am

AR wrote:just ask yourself what good is supposed to come out of this social media war? The band has been doing well touring. Nothing about this is going to sell an extra ticket.

I don't think that anyone has ever said that this publicity stunt (If it is indeed a publicity stunt) is a good idea? I think that it's a horrible idea if it's a publicity stunt. But there's also no denying that it has gotten the band tons of publicity.

We've already had at least one poster on here say that the fear of Journey breaking up did make them decide to go to a recent concert.

Journey are now going on a break that was planned a few years ago. Journey even said in interviews a few years ago that they were going to take a couple of years off after 2017. Neal, Jonathan and Arnel all have projects going on over the next couple of years that they want publicity for.

And as Carl Palmer mentioned, you've got Schon and Cain getting along fine backstage and giving each other fist bumps. If I'm pissed off at someone I don't give them fist bumps. Especially if I'm about to go to court against them.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
AR wrote:just ask yourself what good is supposed to come out of this social media war? The band has been doing well touring. Nothing about this is going to sell an extra ticket.

I don't think that anyone has ever said that this publicity stunt (If it is indeed a publicity stunt) is a good idea? I think that it's a horrible idea if it's a publicity stunt. But there's also no denying that it has gotten the band tons of publicity.

We've already had at least one poster on here say that the fear of Journey breaking up did make them decide to go to a recent concert.

Journey are now going on a break that was planned a few years ago. Journey even said in interviews a few years ago that they were going to take a couple of years off after 2017. Neal, Jonathan and Arnel all have projects going on over the next couple of years that they want publicity for.

And as Carl Palmer mentioned, you've got Schon and Cain getting along fine backstage and giving each other fist bumps. If I'm pissed off at someone I don't give them fist bumps. Especially if I'm about to go to court against them.

I think in the entertainment industry there is a lot of that. It's about being a business and professional and making sure to put on a good face. I don;t think Journey was having any problem selling tickets. At least not to the extent where one of the members is saying the rest are out.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am

Let's look at the supposed phone hacking of celebrity females over the last few years.

The claim is that these celebrity females took naked pictures of themselves that were only intended for themselves or their husbands or boyfriends. Some bad guy hacked their phones and got a hold of all of these naked photos and videos of the celebrities and released all of the stuff to the internet.

The claim is that these celebrities were so embarrassed by the release of these photos and videos, and that several of them like Jennifer Lawrence were going to sue over it.

The claim is that the "bad guy" has not been caught by the FBI. As if the FBI would have any difficulty finding a guy who releases thousands of naked photos and videos of celebrities. :roll:

The scandal started in 2014. Now in 2017 there is another wave of new naked photos of celebrity women. In many cases some of the same women who have recorded themselves yet again.

Now, logic tells you that if you've taken naked photos or video of yourself in the past, and that stuff was hacked and released to the internet, and you were embarrassed by it, then you will never take more pictures and video of yourself naked.

Yet we have some of the same celebrities that have taken more naked photos and videos of themselves since the release of the original photos and videos back in 2014.

Even if you've never been hacked before, just knowing what has happened with other celebrities would tell you that you'd better not take any naked photos or video of yourself with your phone. Yet we have literally hundreds of celebrities who've supposedly been "hacked" over the last few years.

Reality.... These female celebrities released the photos and videos of themselves naked for publicity. The stories of a hacker releasing the stuff is pure bullshit. Thus why the FBI hasn't caught the "bad guy" who "hacked" them. There was no hacker.

The publicity generated by the naked photos and videos has boosted the careers and future earnings of these celebrities and the movie and television studios that they work for.

People who attempt publicity stunts don't announce that they are trying to pull off a publicity stunt. They lie to the public about what is going on. And it works, unfortunately.

I have friends who know that I'm a huge Journey fan that were not aware that Journey were being inducted into the Rock Hall Of Fame until I told them about it. Some of those same friends have been saying to me over the last few weeks "Hey, I saw on CNN that Journey might break up, and that Schon is pissed at Cain."

This fake scandal is getting Journey more publicity than getting inducted into the Rock Hall Of Fame did.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

AR wrote:The Journey issues are no publicity stunt. I've got sources on that. Without revealing them, just ask yourself what good is supposed to come out of this social media war? The band has been doing well touring. Nothing about this is going to sell an extra ticket.

When I started reading that Neal Schon was saying he was getting Perry to join his version of Journey, I stopped following this crap. It's just not true. Maybe Schon was pissed about the WH thing, probably was. Maybe he's sick of being around such religious people and is acting out. But, nobody is going to convince me that Schon is going to beak up the current sure thing and go with an unsure thing with a new lineup. That's the dumbest thing ever. And, I doubt so much that Perry would ever join it - it's pathetic to even put that out there.

Perry, IMO, is wrapping things up. He made amends with the band and Herbie. And, I think maybe he wants to do one last thing for the fans with this album. But, I can't see him touring...not solo, and certainly not with any form of Journey. Maybe he'll do the talk shows, or a solo show here and there...but not a full tour. I think he wants to go out on a positive note without any lose negativity out there. A canceled tour would not be a positive thing. I just wanted to throw this out there because it's something I've been thinking about.
Monker
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:"They -- by 'they,' I mean Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon -- would pass each other in the corridor, and they would fist bump each other, so you couldn't see any of that (animosity) at all," Palmer says.

This confirms that the wives are the ones fighting while Jon and Neal don't give a damn about any of this. Just sayin'
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 am

Monker wrote:

When I started reading that Neal Schon was saying he was getting Perry to join his version of Journey, I stopped following this crap. It's just not true. Maybe Schon was pissed about the WH thing, probably was. Maybe he's sick of being around such religious people and is acting out. But, nobody is going to convince me that Schon is going to beak up the current sure thing and go with an unsure thing with a new lineup. That's the dumbest thing ever. And, I doubt so much that Perry would ever join it - it's pathetic to even put that out there.

Perry, IMO, is wrapping things up. He made amends with the band and Herbie. And, I think maybe he wants to do one last thing for the fans with this album. But, I can't see him touring...not solo, and certainly not with any form of Journey. Maybe he'll do the talk shows, or a solo show here and there...but not a full tour. I think he wants to go out on a positive note without any lose negativity out there. A canceled tour would not be a positive thing. I just wanted to throw this out there because it's something I've been thinking about.

I never thought for a second that SP would join Neal on any kind of tour. As for touring for his new album ( if it ever gets released), I agree with you there. Maybe a one-off concert, or maybe a couple, but not a tour. As for talk shows, he might do that to promote his new music.....and then he will try to just fade away from the publics' consciousness, and live out his life in peace. As you say, wrapping things up, with no regrets to worry about.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 am

perryfan61 wrote:
Monker wrote:

I never thought for a second that SP would join Neal on any kind of tour. As for touring for his new album ( if it ever gets released), I agree with you there. Maybe a one-off concert, or maybe a couple, but not a tour. As for talk shows, he might do that to promote his new music.....and then he will try to just fade away from the publics' consciousness, and live out his life in peace. As you say, wrapping things up, with no regrets to worry about.

I've always thought that Perry could do a "VH1 Storrytellers" type show. Go into how some songs were favorites of his. Sing the ones he can handle and maybe a few verses of ones that might be difficult. Record an album of standards like Rod Stewart has done in the past. I would be on board for something like that.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 am

No doubt SP will release a new CD, as I think it's on his bucket list.
He made peace with the guys and Schon and others. He showed up for the fans
at the RRHoF. Just cleaning up loose ends, as we all hope to do one
day with our bucket lists.
Maybe, a few radio interviews or a video or two, but no, don't
believe he will do any kind of tour.
Think the time for doing something with Journey, is long past.
Whether he does something with Schon or not, is up to him,
but would be interesting to hear.
First, has to come a cup of coffee, if it happens
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 am

I can honestly say this drama has died down on my end....because Neal blocked me!!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:I can honestly say this drama has died down on my end....because Neal blocked me!!

What did you say to get blocked?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Steve Perry might do nothing, or he could release a new album. I would like to see him go on a limited 20-city tour with small venues.

I know it won't happen, but it would be cool if he had guests in each city. Maybe Gregg Rolie in one city. Neal Schon in another city. Steve Smith in another city. Maybe even performers from outside Journey.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby HydraRed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I would love to see Perry do a small tour..at least as long as he comes to Texas!

I was born when Trial By Fire was being released, so obviously I've never had a chance to see Perry with my own eyes. It would be a wonderful experience to go see him with my father (who got me into the band). Fingers crossed.
HydraRed
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:19 am

jrnyman28 wrote:I can honestly say this drama has died down on my end....because Neal blocked me!!

Don't take it personally. He's insane. He blocks everybody who doesn't kiss his ass.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Don't take it personally. He's insane. He blocks everybody who doesn't kiss his ass.

How true that is!
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:

No clue. Didn't even k OW it happened until
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:

No clue. Didn't even know it happened until i realized I hadn't seen a Neal Blast in a while so I went to his profile.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I may have mentioned that....
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Journey