Herbie Herbert weighs in on Journey Infighting

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Herbie Herbert weighs in on Journey Infighting

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:08 am

I was NOT saying they should make a new album that sounds EXACTLY like their old stuff in order for them to make money or become popular again. I was saying they should do it because that is WHO Journey is. But the article mentioned the band doesn't even like Journey Music, and I commented that they are probably right or Journey would have made an album that was more of the same to make the hard-core fans happy. I am sure Jon can write any kind of song he puts his mind to writing, but he doesn't want to write the kind of songs like that anymore. When I was listening to Eclipse recently, there are moments of pure magic where Arnel really sings his butt off and it sounds like classic Journey. They have it in them to make a classic Journey album, but I am afraid they just don't want to do it.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

Journey's best songs in general may have been while Perry was in the band? But IMO some of the least good songs were also while Perry was in the band. I think there were more "filler" songs while Perry was in the band than there has been with Augeri or Pineda. But IMO that may have been a result of Perry taking the band too far of course from what they should have been when it comes to those "filler" songs.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I don't understand how this thread became a Perry or bust thread. That topic is as dead as Perry's touring career.

Some people are obsessed with Perry and want to turn every thread into a Perry thread.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am

unless Rolie comes back and they do his a lot of his era setlists, Journey needs to end. In dreams(never gonna happen) with a farewell concert with Perry (even if it is just Schon with him as you could tell Rolie never clapped once to his comments).
Cain does not need the money as he has a mega-bilker wife who is or will be richer than him.
You can tell Arnel and Smith want nothing to do with all this.

Not sure if Journey has a large full time road crew, but they will be hurt the most.

and I am sure Valory will probably have to join Neal Schon's JRNY as he is probably still in trouble with the IRS and make it a little more genuine.
The sad thing even if Schon does it alone, they will still do well. But hopefully he will stick with the full time roadies.

With some of my favorite band like Boston, Styx, Survivor, Journey, Chicago, Pink Floyd, among others fractured,
So glad to see Lou singing with Foreigner.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 pm

^Amazing how much of Lou's voice has returned, considering where it was. He damn near couldn't sing at one point, then his voice was utter crap and didn't even sound like him (was very low) when he finally COULD sing.

Now he sounds basically like he probably should at his age if his voice had just naturally aged.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I don't understand how this thread became a Perry or bust thread. That topic is as dead as Perry's touring career.

Some people are obsessed with Perry and want to turn every thread into a Perry thread.

A Perry or bust thread, I don't feel that it is turning into that personally. And as far as being obsessed with Perry...we can all blame that on 9 albums, 90+ million album sales in total. With a GH CD box sets that still sell, I believe, 5000 a day.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 pm

scarab wrote:unless Rolie comes back and they do his a lot of his era setlists, Journey needs to end. In dreams(never gonna happen) with a farewell concert with Perry (even if it is just Schon with him as you could tell Rolie never clapped once to his comments.

Did Gregg respond to ANY of Neal's comments?
To me, Gregg is an angry, devious, bitter bird.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

A Perry or bust thread, I don't feel that it is turning into that personally. And as far as being obsessed with Perry...we can all blame that on 9 albums, 90+ million album sales in total. With a GH CD box sets that still sell, I believe, 5000 a day.

For the record, if you haven't seen me say this before. Steve Perry is my second favorite singer of all time. I think that with the right partner he was a great songwriter over all. And I think that he's a well-meaning guy who has done a lot of charity work over the years. I'm absolutely a big fan of his!

I just think that some people take the Perry-worship too far. And that comment is not directed at you or anyone else in particular.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 am

I disagree. I don't think Journey has any "filler" songs in the years with Perry and the three albums before Perry. They might have some on Arrival, Generations, Revelation, and Eclipse. Homemade Love and Backtalk get a bad rap. I love both of those songs as well as every other song with Perry.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 am

JourneyHard wrote:I disagree. I don't think Journey has any "filler" songs in the years with Perry and the three albums before Perry. They might have some on Arrival, Generations, Revelation, and Eclipse. Homemade Love and Backtalk get a bad rap. I love both of those songs as well as every other song with Perry.

To non hard core fans EVERY album has filler. The average person at any Journey show would only listen to 4 songs on Escape.

As a hard core Journey fan I either love, like or don't like a song.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:56 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
scarab wrote:unless Rolie comes back and they do his a lot of his era setlists, Journey needs to end. In dreams(never gonna happen) with a farewell concert with Perry (even if it is just Schon with him as you could tell Rolie never clapped once to his comments.

I don't see that. Over the years, in all of the interviews I have read with him, he has been low key about why he left (tired of the road, wanted a family, etc.). I have never heard him complain about Perry or anyone else in the band, though I may have missed it.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 am

tj wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

I don't see that. Over the years, in all of the interviews I have read with him, he has been low key about why he left (tired of the road, wanted a family, etc.). I have never heard him complain about Perry or anyone else in the band, though I may have missed it.

I don't see Gregg as angry or devious. Certainly he is circumspect about the reasons he left the band, other than the ones he publicly gave, but I don't see that as devious, just respectful of the band that set him up for life. Probably has a ND contract to abide by, too.

He seems very happy with his musical life now, I really don't see him touring with Journey again.

As for SP, I suspect there may be some hard feelings there, but he chooses to keep those to himself for the most part. I respect him for that.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am

Here is what Gregg revealed later on about leaving: "...Perry made that an easy decision to make. He was always saying, 'We've got to have a band meeting about this and that, about this and that' where you didn't have to have one at all." --2009

Then he went on later to state that Steve didn't want him to sing on the songs as time went on. Steve admitted to that before that it was professionally competitive between the two.

Well...was it devious for him to be honest and up front about it. No. (And by the way...he couldn't have signed a ND if he says that and more.) But to bring up that 2 people didn't want him to sing onstage at the RRHOF, was kind of stirring up the pot, especially since the event came and went. (Unless I screwed up the timeliness, that is.)

And devious is too harsh of a word. I apologize.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:Did Gregg respond to ANY of Neal's comments?

Neither Management or Cain has responded to his tantrums, either. There is a reason for this.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 pm

JourneyHard wrote:I disagree. I don't think Journey has any "filler" songs in the years with Perry and the three albums before Perry. They might have some on Arrival, Generations, Revelation, and Eclipse. Homemade Love and Backtalk get a bad rap. I love both of those songs as well as every other song with Perry.

Raised on Radio has alot of filler.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby bellairepark73 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:20 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Raised on Radio has alot of filler.

Journey Hard, I am with you. Homemade Love is one of the best and gives you a sneak peek into behind the scenes life and Back Talk was a favorite of Steve Smith and i agree, belongs on the album. ROR had in my opinion only 1 song that could have stayed off: Positive Touch.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:24 am

bellairepark73 wrote:ROR had in my opinion only 1 song that could have stayed off: Positive Touch.

Positive Touch at least has an obvious Perry/Cain Motown quality to it. Replace the sax with a guitar and it's recognizably pure feel-good Journey.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:38 am

At Hall of Fame, Perry was praising Neal above all of them, and you wanted Gregg to clap wildly? He would have looked like a clown if he did that.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby livin2do » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Straightest info you could ever want about Journey. Excellent to hear his take on the current dust up. Herbie rocks!
livin2do
45 RPM

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 pm

livin2do wrote:Straightest info you could ever want about Journey. Excellent to hear his take on the current dust up. Herbie rocks!

Was waiting to hear Herbie's and then YOUR take on Herbie's take!

Still on NS side, though overall...
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:11 am

JourneyHard wrote:At Hall of Fame, Perry was praising Neal above all of them, and you wanted Gregg to clap wildly? He would have looked like a clown if he did that.

On the flip side of your argument, Perry spoke last and Neal spoke first…and only Neal gave props to Perry.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 am

maybe Rolie is just a stoic guy. :lol: Was cool to see Ross and Schon genuinely happy to see Perry, specially when Ross tried to get a "band bow" at the end.

all that aside I hope he returns to Journey and Cain becomes the leader of Jim Bakker's house band. Maybe Paula can play the triangle.
Think of all those 40$ "donations" he will get. (and maybe free survival food) :)
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 pm

NEAL SCHON MUSIC‏Verified account@NealSchonMusic
Had a talk with Herbie today and he was unaware of a lot ... so he says
26 Aug 2017
https://twitter.com/NealSchonMusic/stat ... 4288487424
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:11 pm

tater1977 wrote:NEAL SCHON MUSIC‏Verified account@NealSchonMusic
26 Aug 2017

Neal's twitter "friends" seem to love stirring the pot, don't they? I think they are disappointed that all the drama has settled down. They need to get a life.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby livin2do » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 am

Eric wrote:
livin2do wrote:Straightest info you could ever want about Journey. Excellent to hear his take on the current dust up. Herbie rocks!

Was waiting to hear Herbie's and then YOUR take on Herbie's take!

Still on NS side, though overall...

My take is that Journey is more a "product" or a "brand" than they are a band at this point. They go through the motions and cash their checks, and this has everything to do with Jon Cain. He seems totally uninspired when he is on stage. He has played the same solo since like 2009, which is basically just him noodling through hits he wrote. I call his solo, "The stuff we aren't going to play tonight."

Neal made a comment on Twitter about wanting to be inspired by the people he plays with, and I think that is the true breakdown here. This is all stuff that should be discussed and addressed within the band, but it doesn't look like anyone cares enough about it. I find that sad, and unfair to the fans. It's a disservice to their legacy.
livin2do
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:31 am

perryfan61 wrote:
26 Aug 2017

Neal's twitter "friends" seem to love stirring the pot, don't they? I think they are disappointed that all the drama has settled down. They need to get a life.

No...I am glad Neal had that talk with Herbie. So much for Herbie's word being gospel. He blamed Steve back in 2001 and 2008 with his poson. Now he throws Neal under the bus and Neal, who isn't afraid of Herbie, checks out if he recalls having this interview and all of a sudden, this so-called straight shooter can recall much. Amnesia dear sir?

No its not stirring the pot. Its being open and honest. And Herbie is not because as Neal said further in another tweet (paraphrase) all a distraction. Another attempt to ruin my name.
Last edited by bellairepark73 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:33 am

perryfan61 wrote:
26 Aug 2017

No...I am glad Neal had that talk with Herbie. So much for Herbie's word being gospel. He blamed Steve back in 2001 and 2008 with his posion. Now he throws Neal under the bus and Neal, who isn't afraid of Herbie, checks out if he recalls having this interview and all of a sudden, this so-called straight shooter can recall much. Amnesia dear sir?

No its not stirring the pot. And the drama hasn't died down as we can see with Jon and his taking DSB as his religious anthem. It has gone underground. Its being open and honest. And Herbie is not because as Neal said further in another tweet (paraphrase) all a distraction. Another attempt to ruin my name.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 am

bellairepark73 wrote:No...I am glad Neal had that talk with Herbie. So much for Herbie's word being gospel.

You DO realize you are taking Neal's word as gospel, right? If Herbie and Neal chatted, it's entirely possible that Herbie *still* feels Neal should STFU and stop being a Perry-esque primadonna.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:No...I am glad Neal had that talk with Herbie. So much for Herbie's word being gospel.

You DO realize you are taking Neal's word as gospel, right? If Herbie and Neal chatted, it's entirely possible that Herbie *still* feels Neal should STFU and stop being a Perry-esque primadonna.

I don't understand what you mean by taking Neal's word as gospel. For a long time I didn't. And still sometimes can't but it doesn't matter. Perry-esque primadonna is not what Steve was about and can't help you if you insist on slapping that label on him. I don't believe Herbie for a great number of reasons. I am beginning to take Neal's side now ESPECIALLY with this current DSB debacle and there is NOTHING primadonna about debacle.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:22 am

bellairepark73 wrote:I don't understand what you mean by taking Neal's word as gospel.

You are using Neal's tweet about him talking with Herbie to discount what Herbie said in the recent interview. Until we hear it from Herbie himself, it changes nothing.

bellairepark73 wrote: Perry-esque primadonna is not what Steve was about and can't help you if you insist on slapping that label on him.

Longtime Journey fan here. Seen a lot. Don't need or want your help. Thanks.

bellairepark73 wrote: I don't believe Herbie for a great number of reasons. I am beginning to take Neal's side now ESPECIALLY with this current DSB debacle and there is NOTHING primadonna about debacle.

Neal's social media behavior is that of a very very diseased mind. Paranoid to the nth degree. Lashing out at the slightest criticism.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

PreviousNext

Return to Journey