Foreigner fans got what JRNY fans always wanted

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Foreigner fans got what JRNY fans always wanted

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am

Seeing Lou Gramm on stage with Foreigner again is parallel to what Journey fans have been dying for with Perry.

At least one fan base got what they asked for.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Foreigner fans got what JRNY fans always wanted

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 am

May have posted it elsewhere. Some highlights. Nice to see they could pull it off. Mick Jones was pretty emotional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfwxGD0JeM
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 am

yeah, really wish Perry would have at least once on the last tour, especially during there Frontiers/Escape setlist came out and sing one of the more simpler songs, (simpler i guess is stretching it on these two albums) maybe send her love...
otherwise sing lights, he did it good enough with the eels.

The sad thing about this Foreigner reunion I thought I read Lou and others would do 2-3 songs during the set and 2-3 songs during an Encore. Looks like we only got Lou on 1 and Lou on 1/2? Was there others and have they done this again or is this a one off?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 am

scarab wrote:yeah, really wish Perry would have at least once on the last tour, especially during there Frontiers/Escape setlist came out and sing one of the more simpler songs, (simpler i guess is stretching it on these two albums) maybe send her love...
otherwise sing lights, he did it good enough with the eels.

The sad thing about this Foreigner reunion I thought I read Lou and others would do 2-3 songs during the set and 2-3 songs during an Encore. Looks like we only got Lou on 1 and Lou on 1/2? Was there others and have they done this again or is this a one off?

It's only happened at one show to my knowledge so far. Jones Beach, NY. Lou did Long Way From Home, I Want To Know What Love Is and Hot Blooded. Jeff Pilson said recently this will happen again soon.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 am

It's pretty noteworthy he never makes eye contact with Kelly - not even when he moseys over to duet the chorus. Assuming there is tension there?
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 am

FamilyMan wrote:It's pretty noteworthy he never makes eye contact with Kelly - not even when he moseys over to duet the chorus. Assuming there is tension there?

I don't think so. Pilson and Hansen have said nothing but good things about Lou. Gramm has never been one for great stage presence or anything.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 am

AR wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:It's pretty noteworthy he never makes eye contact with Kelly - not even when he moseys over to duet the chorus. Assuming there is tension there?

I don't think so. Pilson and Hansen have said nothing but good things about Lou. Gramm has never been one for great stage presence or anything.

If anything, maybe Lou felt a little awkward in his own right about Kelly perceiving him as a threat, so he was treading lightly in terms of showmanship/stage presence. Lou seems like a pretty humble guy if his autobiography is anywhere close to who he is as a person.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby annie89509 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Omg …what is this … Lou Gramm voice transformation?
Was it 5/10 years or so ago, touring solo, big comeback (after brain cancer surgery?), fan poster provided YT links here, lamenting that Lou should just give it up, save himself the embarrassment of sounding so dreadful. Literally like on life-support.

Now, look at him!?! Gives us hope for SP. Eagerly waiting for his new album!!!

Speaking about Foreigner reunion, might this be an incentive for RnRHOF recognition this year – a nomination, at least?
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

AR wrote:May have posted it elsewhere. Some highlights. Nice to see they could pull it off. Mick Jones was pretty emotional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfwxGD0JeM

any other samples?
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

annie89509 wrote:Speaking about Foreigner reunion, might this be an incentive for RnRHOF recognition this year – a nomination, at least?

I hope so! After Journey, they were one of the next bands that I'd most like to see get in.

Survivor, Foreigner, The Cars, Bad Company, Loverboy, Night Ranger. Those are some of my top choices to get in. And I highly doubt that Survivor, Loverboy or Night Ranger will ever get in.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:16 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I hope so! After Journey, they were one of the next bands that I'd most like to see get in.

Survivor, Foreigner, The Cars, Bad Company, Loverboy, Night Ranger. Those are some of my top choices to get in. And I highly doubt that Survivor, Loverboy or Night Ranger will ever get in.

My list would be Styx, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 am

If the powers that be really wanted to hear Steve Perry perform again, they would put Perry in the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. Then his hands would be tied. He couldn't have Arnel sing the songs. He would have to do it himself. Just kidding! :D
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:12 am

annie89509 wrote:Omg …what is this … Lou Gramm voice transformation?
Was it 5/10 years or so ago, touring solo, big comeback (after brain cancer surgery?)

20 years ago. He toured with Foreigner after that, and in fact they opened for Journey during their second leg of the Vacations Over Tour - in 1999.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am

JourneyHard wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I hope so! After Journey, they were one of the next bands that I'd most like to see get in.

My list would be Styx, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon.

After I made my post, I remembered that I had forgotten to name Styx.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 am

DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Lou sounded as good as I've heard him in years, well done. I thought he did great. I also thought Hanson was a bit disrespectful to Lou on stage. Seemed he played it up without paying respect to the dude who WROTE AND SANG the songs that pays his salary now. Great job Lou!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:35 am

Aaron wrote: I also thought Hanson was a bit disrespectful to Lou on stage. Seemed he played it up without paying respect to the dude who WROTE AND SANG the songs that pays his salary now. Great job Lou!

This is bullshit. Also Lou has unfairly trashed Kelly in the press for years.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 pm

I don't think so but if you watched the show it's your opinion. I've not saw where Lou talked badly of Hanson anywhere but I could have missed it.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:56 am

Aaron wrote:I've not saw where Lou talked badly of Hanson anywhere but I could have missed it.

Three quotes. Three diff. interviews (links at the bottom). The idea that Kelly is some sort of puppet is pretty dismissive imo.

"In Foreigner's case, as I understand it, the singer was actually trained to deliver pretty much exactly everything as I did it, note for note. If I were in the audience and learned that while I was there, I'd get up and leave. I think when the band name remains the exact same, but something as important as the lead vocal is different, it's misleading. It's like false advertising."

Gramm says he believes his former partner in the band, Mick Jones, told new Foreigner singer Kelly Hansen “to listen to the albums and sing it just like the album, verbatim. Because every little nuance that was on the record that I did is what he does now.”....“I think Mick told him, ‘Sing it that way or else.’

"I think he’s a good singer, but I think that Mick, more or less, insists that he listen to me and do the nuances that I used to do on songs. Although his voice doesn’t sound like mine with all of the little inflections and tail offs and this and that, he sounds like he’s listened to them over and over again and copied them."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ding-fans/
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusi ... ke-me.html
http://smashinginterviews.com/interview ... ht-on-love
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Aaron wrote:I've not saw where Lou talked badly of Hanson anywhere but I could have missed it.

Three quotes. Three diff. interviews (links at the bottom). The idea that Kelly is some sort of puppet is pretty dismissive imo.

"In Foreigner's case, as I understand it, the singer was actually trained to deliver pretty much exactly everything as I did it, note for note. If I were in the audience and learned that while I was there, I'd get up and leave. I think when the band name remains the exact same, but something as important as the lead vocal is different, it's misleading. It's like false advertising."

Gramm says he believes his former partner in the band, Mick Jones, told new Foreigner singer Kelly Hansen “to listen to the albums and sing it just like the album, verbatim. Because every little nuance that was on the record that I did is what he does now.”....“I think Mick told him, ‘Sing it that way or else.’

"I think he’s a good singer, but I think that Mick, more or less, insists that he listen to me and do the nuances that I used to do on songs. Although his voice doesn’t sound like mine with all of the little inflections and tail offs and this and that, he sounds like he’s listened to them over and over again and copied them."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ding-fans/
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusi ... ke-me.html
http://smashinginterviews.com/interview ... ht-on-love

I would say those are three factual statements. I like Kelly. I think he's been good for the band. But that dude has had to have studied Lou note for note. And the decision on how Kelly approaches the vocals in the band is left up to one human and one human only - Mick. I think it's more a knock on Mick and how he wanted a replica-style replacement, not a knock on Kelly.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 am

Memorex wrote:I would say those are three factual statements. I like Kelly. I think he's been good for the band. But that dude has had to have studied Lou note for note.

If that's a fact, then prove it. Facts are provable. I heard the same crap about Augeri. Kelly is his own man.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Memorex wrote:I would say those are three factual statements. I like Kelly. I think he's been good for the band. But that dude has had to have studied Lou note for note.

If that's a fact, then prove it. Facts are provable. I heard the same crap about Augeri. Kelly is his own man.

I have the great Lou Gramm in my corner. I rest my case.

It's just my opinion. But I like Kelly. So it's cool.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 am

Memorex wrote:I have the great Lou Gramm in my corner. I rest my case.

Trashing Kelly, who has been nothing but respectful of Lou, is unclassy on Lou's part. Just my opinion. Kelly is nobody's bitch. Edwards also did a great job.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby marco17 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 am

Those 3 interviews are from 2009, 2010, 2011, so it is possible that Lou's feelings about things have changed in the last 6-8 years. I have not seen anything more recently where Lou has been as dismissive of Kelly as in these interviews. I'm not saying that he hasn't been, or defending him, but some time has passed since these were printed. Perry didn't do many interviews either, but much closer to the beginning of Augeri's tenure, he was not super complimentary, always calling him just a sound a like.
marco17
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

marco17 wrote:Those 3 interviews are from 2009, 2010, 2011, so it is possible that Lou's feelings about things have changed in the last 6-8 years. I have not seen anything more recently where Lou has been as dismissive of Kelly as in these interviews. I'm not saying that he hasn't been, or defending him, but some time has passed since these were printed. Perry didn't do many interviews either, but much closer to the beginning of Augeri's tenure, he was not super complimentary, always calling him just a sound a like.

I only posted Lou's comments in response to Aaron's claim that Kelly was disrespectful. Kelly has been a class act while Lou has taken a few shots over the years. That is all.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 pm

What I said was "I also thought Hanson was a bit disrespectful to Lou on stage". A one time event at one show.

Thanks for posting the links TNC.

I don't see any of those quotes being tough on Kelly and to be honest, he's likely following orders from Mick.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 am

Aaron wrote:What I said was "I also thought Hanson was a bit disrespectful to Lou on stage". A one time event at one show.

Thanks for posting the links TNC.

I don't see any of those quotes being tough on Kelly and to be honest, he's likely following orders from Mick.

That's fair. At least we both probably agree it's time for a new Foreigner album.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby lparn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am

MARKET
BOARD
ABOUT
FOREIGNER'S KELLY HANSEN ON REPLACING LOU GRAMM - "I KNEW THAT I WAS TAKING THE PLACE OF SOMEONE WHO HAD MADE A HUGE CONTRIBUTION TO ROCK MUSIC"
October 13, 2011, 5 years ago
news lou gramm rock hard foreigner
MercuryNews.com's Paul Freeman has issued an interview with FOREIGNER vocalist Kelly Hansen. An excerpt follows:

Joining Foreigner in 2005, Hansen realized he had big rock 'n' roll shoes to fill - those of the band's original vocalist, Lou Gramm.

"Lou had a great, emotive delivery. I knew that I was taking the place of someone who had made a huge contribution to rock music. But I had the confidence of Mick Jones and the support of the rest of the guys. At some point, you've just got to pull up your pants and go, 'OK, I'm going to try this.' If you fail, you fail. But at least you can say you tried. Fortunately, I was up to the task."
The task was breathing new life into hits Foreigner had been churning out since 1976, including 'Cold As Ice', 'Hot Blooded', 'Juke Box Hero' and 'I Want To Know What Love Is'.

"When I go to concerts, I always want to listen to the music the way I learned to love it on the radio. I've been to far too many concerts where people decide that, because they're bored or want to show how good they are, they don't play anything that's even close to the originals.' And that bums me out. These songs are so popular, because they were great songs with great melodies. And, if I try to do too much more than that, then it's just me messing up something that was really good. I sing them on stage as they were recorded. That's just the way I work, philosophically. Not everybody does."

Quote from kelly hansen from http://www.mercurynews.com/2011/10/12/k ... foreigner/

Kelly hansen also posted a photo on Instagram after Jones beach show saying "as gracious as he is talented "
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW0NtyphtM6 ... ansenrocks
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Saw foreigner last year in ct with Kelly hansen and this year in Camden nj
He is an incredible singer
Very powerful voice and fantastic performer
I loved can't slow down
Was able to meet all of them in Camden
They were all very gracious
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

Mick Jones is in the songwriters hall of fame
Which I think is quite prestigious and recognizes his Talents as a songwriter/musician
Not sure why the hall of fame rnr seems so political
As a foreigner fan I don't need to see them in there
lparn
45 RPM

Next

Return to Journey