New music from Steve

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: New music from Steve

Postby ScarabGator » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
KDOUBLEU wrote:You think Steve and Neal had that coffee yet?

If they did, are either of them obligated to let us know about it?

Not necessarily but the way Neal blows up Twitter he will....
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:03 am

Neal's making the effort. He gave a tribute to Perry at the Indy show last week.

Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm

NEAL SCHON MUSIC‏Verified account @NealSchonMusic
Not yet but we've been on tour and after tomorrow I'll have 8 - 11 months off so I think I will happen then

@arianasdx
i love that you guys are on good terms again! have you guys grabbed coffee yet??
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Greg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:I'm betting on October/ November.

No need to put a year on it, right? Because we all know it is tentatively scheduled for THIS coming October. He was involved in the Wonder Woman film, so we can all wait. Like Lora said, it will be worth the wait. And thanks Lora and Cyndy and T. McQuaid and Jeremy H., and perryfan and Memorex and many others who are true fans and most importantly friends of this man. You may not know him to be called a personal friend, but you are a friend, nonetheless. Someone who sticks by him, through it all. Look forward to hearing from The Voice soon.

Wait, what? First I heard about A) Tentatively scheduled for October, and B) Steve's involvement with the Wonder Woman film. Did he have a song on the soundtrack?
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:08 am

Greg wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:I'm betting on October/ November.

No need to put a year on it, right? Because we all know it is tentatively scheduled for THIS coming October. He was involved in the Wonder Woman film, so we can all wait. Like Lora said, it will be worth the wait. And thanks Lora and Cyndy and T. McQuaid and Jeremy H., and perryfan and Memorex and many others who are true fans and most importantly friends of this man. You may not know him to be called a personal friend, but you are a friend, nonetheless. Someone who sticks by him, through it all. Look forward to hearing from The Voice soon.

Wait, what? First I heard about A) Tentatively scheduled for October, and B) Steve's involvement with the Wonder Woman film. Did he have a song on the soundtrack?

Not a song but was involved behind the scenes. I've got to get the info.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 am

I thought there were particular lines Mr Perry helped with. It was near the beginning of the film but I definitely could be wrong.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 am

bellairepark73 wrote:

Are we sure we're not getting mixed up with a Steve Perry who is a producer/director (or maybe an assistant to) that has worked on several other movies? Not the same Perry of Journey, but shares the name.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 am

Greg wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

Are we sure we're not getting mixed up with a Steve Perry who is a producer/director (or maybe an assistant to) that has worked on several other movies? Not the same Perry of Journey, but shares the name.

Good call, Greg, but I'm pretty sure it's Steve. Patty Jenkins directed the movie, and her and Steve are good friends. It's also mentioned here:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 16134.html
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 am

The singer previously of the band Journey of Portuguese heritage. Dark hair. Handsome man. Phenomenal voice. We all just saw him at RnR HOF in April. No doubt.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 am

Marabelle wrote:The singer previously of the band Journey of Portuguese heritage. Dark hair. Handsome man. Phenomenal voice. We all just saw him at RnR HOF in April. No doubt.

Nope. Doesn't ring a bell! :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:31 pm

starting to think isn't gonna happen this year.
I am sure we would have heard at least something by now being almost mid August.
And sad because with all the crap going on with Journey it would be great to have him release some new music.
If he does it next year it might be in the midst of two different Journey bands.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 am

scarab wrote:starting to think isn't gonna happen this year.
I am sure we would have heard at least something by now being almost mid August.
And sad because with all the crap going on with Journey it would be great to have him release some new music.
If he does it next year it might be in the midst of two different Journey bands.

Well, I'm always in the camp that I'll believe when I see it. Until then, it doesn't exist. That being said, the rock band Disturbed uses the approach of absolutely no word on new albums, no leaks, no nothing. You don't know they have released a new album until it drops on release day. Maybe Perry is taking that route, which is a route that I think other bands should take. That way, you don't get a chance to mentally pick the album apart before you've even had a chance to listen to it.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:42 pm

A Facebook post

Michael Cavacini, August 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

"I just got off of the phone with Tony Brock, the drummer for the Babys, who I just interviewed, and Steve Perry came up in the discussion. Apparently, Tony and Steve are good friends and Tony said that from what he understands, Steve Perry's new solo album is complete and mastered. He is also hoping that Steve and the Babys can put a tour together sometime soon."
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 am

bellairepark73 wrote:A Facebook post

Michael Cavacini, August 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

"I just got off of the phone with Tony Brock, the drummer for the Babys, who I just interviewed, and Steve Perry came up in the discussion. Apparently, Tony and Steve are good friends and Tony said that from what he understands, Steve Perry's new solo album is complete and mastered. He is also hoping that Steve and the Babys can put a tour together sometime soon."

Tony Brock is great. I could be wrong, but it seems any musician that interacts with him has nothing but praise. I don't know much about him personally, but my impression is he's a great guy.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:59 am

My guess is Tony is just repeating what has already rumored, the from what I understand seems he does not personally know.
Did anybody catch the Babys w/o Waite live? Always liked there stuff.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby carleysdad » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am

Just because Perry's album is "complete" doesn't mean that it will ever see the light of day. With the exception of Street Talk, if his new album is anything like past solo efforts, music labels won't want to take a chance on distribution rights because this type of music simply will not sell. As much as I like Steve Perry's voice, his FTLOSM and (unreleased) Against the Wall albums were not good. The vocals were good, but songwriting/lyrics were pretty bad.
carleysdad
Ol' 78

Postby ADALBL » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 am

carleysdad wrote:Just because Perry's album is "complete" doesn't mean that it will ever see the light of day. With the exception of Street Talk, if his new album is anything like past solo efforts, music labels won't want to take a chance on distribution rights because this type of music simply will not sell. As much as I like Steve Perry's voice, his FTLOSM and (unreleased) Against the Wall albums were not good. The vocals were good, but songwriting/lyrics were pretty bad.

I could not disagree more with the comments regarding the songwriting and lyrics. The fact that it may have not sold like crazy like past Journey albums hardly means the songs/lyrics were not good. There are great songs and lyrics all over these records. I still enjoy them very much today and think most of those songs will hold up much better over time than most of even today's top hits.
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 am

The unreleased Against the wall was very hit or miss. Not sure if there was a single there that would have went top 10.
Still would love to know if this was 1984 late (like Perry mentioned himself or 1988 which everyone presumes.)
But FTLOSM, he did very well going gold in a grunge market. I could not believe it when I heard You better wait on top 40 radio(they were playing grunge and pop then- heard it tons on AOR stations though.)
Sad that the three songs (or more) never were released. Lost Angels, Let Go, and Home At Last.
Anyway should have been the second single. Think it would have been top 40, at least promoted.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:26 am

scarab wrote:The unreleased Against the wall was very hit or miss. Not sure if there was a single there that would have went top 10.
Still would love to know if this was 1984 late (like Perry mentioned himself or 1988 which everyone presumes.)
But FTLOSM, he did very well going gold in a grunge market. I could not believe it when I heard You better wait on top 40 radio(they were playing grunge and pop then- heard it tons on AOR stations though.)
Sad that the three songs (or more) never were released. Lost Angels, Let Go, and Home At Last.
Anyway should have been the second single. Think it would have been top 40, at least promoted.

I personally do not know what the Against The Wall album was made up of. We know what unreleased songs were. But I think there are others and I think maybe even a couple from FTLOSM may have been meant for it. So as an album in total, I don't think we know.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 pm

carleysdad wrote:Just because Perry's album is "complete" doesn't mean that it will ever see the light of day. With the exception of Street Talk, if his new album is anything like past solo efforts, music labels won't want to take a chance on distribution rights because this type of music simply will not sell. As much as I like Steve Perry's voice, his FTLOSM and (unreleased) Against the Wall albums were not good. The vocals were good, but songwriting/lyrics were pretty bad.

I also completely disagree. Opinions should not be written like definitive statements...of which we are all guilty of. His FTLOSM did very well considering it was the grunge era and would have done even better than gold had he had a manger that had the connections and ideas like Herbie (I dislike him as a person but as a business person, nobody thought like him). Against the Wall songs were strong and well written and FTLOSM was powerful: YOU BETTER WAIT, TITLE TRACK, DONNA PLEASE, etc, IMO.

But Steve is hashing out the details now with 1 label that it appears he is ready to sign with but I have it confirmed from many sources that it will drop THIS year. NOT next year.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby slucero » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 am

I though FLOTSAM was stellar from a songwriting and production standpoint.

It was released in 1994, YBW reached the Billboard Top 10, and it was certified Gold. Not shabby at all.

I do agree that ATW will likely not see the light of day, because if Perry had wanted it to.. it would be out already.

As far as if a new Perry album would sell.. it would. Perry has the happy predicament of being the voice of the sountrack of a millions of Baby Boomers lives, and lots of their KIDS.. and they are all connected now on social medai..

Selling a new Steve Perry album will be super easy... Perry's gonna get a payday outta this that will make Neal age like a motherfucker...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am

slucero wrote:I though FLOTSAM was stellar from a songwriting and production standpoint.

It was released in 1994, YBW reached the Billboard Top 10, and it was certified Gold. Not shabby at all.

I do agree that ATW will likely not see the light of day, because if Perry had wanted it to.. it would be out already.

As far as if a new Perry album would sell.. it would. Perry has the happy predicament of being the voice of the sountrack of millions of Baby Boomers lives, and lots of their KIDS.. and they are all connected now on social media...

Selling a new Steve Perry album will be super easy... Perry's gonna get a payday outta this that will make Neal age like a motherfucker...

ATW Steve claims was shelved by Sony and there was nothing that they (meaning him and/or his lawyer) legally could do. Thus the releases of ATW as bonus tracks.

By the way...he has the happy predicament of being the voice for Generation X's kids AND for some of THEIR kids too.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

Greg wrote:
scarab wrote:starting to think isn't gonna happen this year.

Well, I'm always in the camp that I'll believe when I see it. Until then, it doesn't exist. That being said, the rock band Disturbed uses the approach of absolutely no word on new albums, no leaks, no nothing. You don't know they have released a new album until it drops on release day. Maybe Perry is taking that route, which is a route that I think other bands should take. That way, you don't get a chance to mentally pick the album apart before you've even had a chance to listen to it.

I think you are right about the mum and drop album. It could very well be that route.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby slucero » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
slucero wrote:I though FLOTSAM was stellar from a songwriting and production standpoint.

As far as if a new Perry album would sell.. it would. Perry has the happy predicament of being the voice of the sountrack of millions of Baby Boomers lives, and lots of their KIDS.. and they are all connected now on social media...

ATW Steve claims was shelved by Sony and there was nothing that they (meaning him and/or his lawyer) legally could do. Thus the releases of ATW as bonus tracks.

By the way...he has the happy predicament of being the voice for Generation X's kids AND for some of THEIR kids too.

Agree...

Perry's notoriety is multi-generational.

To a label, Perry's new album is a once-in-a-alifetime marketing opportunity with very little built in risk.

I'd venture Perry makes as much money on this album as he made in his whole career with Journey.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 am

I think like Herbie said, it all depends on a single.
When was the last time an Arena rocker had a single (Bon Jovi the band maybe)?
In the twin cities I cant imagine a station that would play a a new Perry tune.
A lite Rock station that no longer exists played When your in love for the first time a few times in 1999?
KQRS, the last classic rock station plays 99.9% "old songs". They did play a little of Higher Place, but only on double shot tuesday, where they would play a new song anlong with an old song by one band.
Heard I stand alone more at Walgreens piped in music :lol:
I hope there is a pretty spectacular song that can get him on the charts, and even with that he would have to promote the hell out of it, and not touring, aint gonna help. But still hope it sees light of day to honor his lost love.
His first solo album he had it made, lite rock played it, classic rock played it, top 40 played it.
Even She's mine, went top 20?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 am

What has seemed to work for Mr Perry are the love ballads proclaiming his undying love for the woman of his heart. Maudlin songs don't always sell well particularly since it's been several years since they have heard from him and I would think they want to hear of hope and survival and devotion. If he pours out his heart, proclaiming his love and his loss and there being no alternative but to be strong for the woman of his heart. I think it might be sappy but women love tenderness, heartbreak and looking at the pain etched on his face as he struggles to make it through another day being able to express this only as he can. I know I'd buy it. And now being able to love again. Ready to love. Free to love. That's a 12 song CD.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Perry is gonna clean up when his new album gets on streaming services.

Perry should make great money on streaming on his album alone. His older stuff will get a bump.

He and the band make even more because folks will add Journey songs to their playlists.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyLFN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 am

I think just the fact that "Steve Perry Releases New Album After 20 Years" so many curious people buy it or stream it. It's going to get a lot of media coverage. Consider over 2 million YouTube views for his Eel concert performances. If he'd just release the damn thing, I'd buy the CD and download it to iTunes.
JourneyLFN
Ol' 78

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am

JourneyLFN wrote:I think just the fact that "Steve Perry Releases New Album After 20 Years" so many curious people buy it or stream it. It's going to get a lot of media coverage. Consider over 2 million YouTube views for his Eel concert performances. If he'd just release the damn thing, I'd buy the CD and download it to iTunes.

Im with you on that one. Not only will I buy it but promote it by buying it as gifts for my close friends. But from what I heard its not just him its the contracts. He has to be careful about what he is signing.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby RPM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 am

so, when is this new album coming out?
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Steve Perry