OFFICIAL NFL 2017-2018 Thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: OFFICIAL NFL 2017-2018 Thread

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 pm

I believe that is my brotha from anotha motha John From Boston! 8)
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 am

So glad to see the NFL ratings take a serious hit last night compared to the opener last year, which was already down from years past. I hope people keep turning it off until changes are made.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:22 pm

The Hall of Fame Game had higher ratings than Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Nothing is going to dent the NFL. They're a juggernaut.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:29 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:The Hall of Fame Game had higher ratings than Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Nothing is going to dent the NFL. They're a juggernaut.

This is just silly. When you have a "company" doing business at any size, any downturn is seen as quite negative. You don't think the NFL is worried? You don't think networks are worried? You are high. 2 million fewer viewers than last year's opener. Ratings down last year and look to be in for more of a slide this year.

The NFL does not ever in a million years compare itself to Hockey. It compares itself to one thing and one thing only - it's previous self.

But maybe you are right. Maybe just because the NFL is the most-watched sport, they really could care less about losing viewers year over year. Sure.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 am

Memorex wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:The Hall of Fame Game had higher ratings than Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Nothing is going to dent the NFL. They're a juggernaut.

This is just silly. When you have a "company" doing business at any size, any downturn is seen as quite negative. You don't think the NFL is worried? You don't think networks are worried? You are high. 2 million fewer viewers than last year's opener. Ratings down last year and look to be in for more of a slide this year.

The NFL does not ever in a million years compare itself to Hockey. It compares itself to one thing and one thing only - it's previous self.

But maybe you are right. Maybe just because the NFL is the most-watched sport, they really could care less about losing viewers year over year. Sure.

K.Image

You are high.

I fucking wish :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 am

Wow, the Vikings Offense actually played a good game.
(against a not so good defense) :lol:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Memorex wrote:

K.Image

You are high.

I fucking wish :lol:

Monday night football down 27%! Whole weekend down except perhaps the Dallas game. This is with changes the NFL put in place to increase viewership. Like more intriguing games and less breaks.

But I'm sure they aren't worried at all .
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 am

Your boner must be HUESH right now!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:04 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Your boner must be HUESH right now!

Not at all. I just wanted to counter the absurdity of the NFL comparing itself to NHL or that they aren't worried.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

I'm just saying no matter how much of a black eye the NFL took in recent years to where their product has suffered in many ways, it STILL is a juggernaut in comparison to other sports regardless of their own rating standards in comparison to itself. The NFL's issues have been documented for awhile and players like Kaepernick's antics factor into these dips, especially in a world where politics is becoming more and more dominate. It was bound to happen but the NFL will always be well oiled no matter how many jerseys you will set out to burn.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I'm just saying no matter how much of a black eye the NFL took in recent years to where their product has suffered in many ways, it STILL is a juggernaut in comparison to other sports regardless of their own rating standards in comparison to itself. The NFL's issues have been documented for awhile and players like Kaepernick's antics factor into these dips, especially in a world where politics is becoming more and more dominate. It was bound to happen but the NFL will always be well oiled no matter how many jerseys you will set out to burn.

Ugh. No one is burning jerseys. Don't get carried away. I put together a thoughtful post of why I personally am not watching the NFL. I'm not some fanatic or whatever.

To me, the only way the NFL is going to change is if they see their brand losing market share. So I do hope for that in order to see the changes. So I am very glad people are choosing alternatives at the moment. I think that's a fair-minded desire. What else can I do, picket the NFL headquarters?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Seven Wishes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:43 am

The Jets are hot.
Seven Wishes
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am

Wow
Casey Keenum looked terrible last week
And today he had 3 tds 375+ yards and no picks
Dalvin Cook played a solid game as well.

What a turn around.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 am

scarab wrote:Wow
Casey Keenum looked terrible last week
And today he had 3 tds 375+ yards and no picks
Dalvin Cook played a solid game as well.

What a turn around.

Wasn't Tampa's starting CBs out with injuries?
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby scarab » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am

Not sure but if you watched him play last week you would swear he is a different guy.
Bummed FF Bengals could not pull off a win. :evil:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:42 am

The NFL is hiring a Senior Communications Strategist for their New York City location a job posted Monday shows. The position requirements include providing crisis communications counsel to the leagues executives. “They will work closely with communications department leadership to create messaging to reflect the league’s wide variety of priorities and expedite organizational decision-making,” the job listing reads.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 am

Fact Finder wrote:
Memorex wrote:
The NFL is hiring a Senior Communications Strategist for their New York City location a job posted Monday shows. The position requirements include providing crisis communications counsel to the leagues executives. “They will work closely with communications department leadership to create messaging to reflect the league’s wide variety of priorities and expedite organizational decision-making,” the job listing reads.

About a year late and a dollar short, the NFL SJW Ship has sailed and is now on full steam ahead. Will the NFL ever recover is the question. NFL is in a Titanic situation and they better start bailing the water.

I think they will for two reasons. The owners won't stand for it much longer and America is a forgiving country.

I do notice however, like what's happened with me, a lot of people are commenting about how nice it is to have let the NFL go. For all it's great things over the years, it is a rather stressful sport for a fan. Maybe other leagues are as well, but I always found myself so wound up every game. And even during the week. Now, my Sundays are better spent. So even if things turned around, I am not sure I would ever go back to being the same level fan I was. I just realized how unimportant it was. It's been a good transition. And my fingernails can finally grow.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 am

If an NFL player wants to take a knee he should blow the nearest fan. Really sick of this social justice warrior shit. Put your money where your knees are and invest in the poorest communities and make them better instead of taking the knee which is completely becoming the new ice bucket challenge.

Perhaps the NFL could avoid this by taking a moment before the anthem and show how their players are making our country better socially, racially and economically. Some are. Look at JJ Watt with what he did for hurricane victims.

My own hometown team was a national disgrace in a foreign country for their behavior. Their play was horrendous too, but that is another story.

London is a wonderful city though. Fully enjoyed the culture, monuments, their people and of course the pubs. :)
Last edited by AR on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:07 am

I look at people like Bette Midler. I don't always agree with her, but she puts her money where her mouth is. She does more for charity in time and money quietly than any of these people. Even Sean Penn who is a crazy dude, he backs up what he says. But then you have people like Springsteen that talk and talk and then use every loophole possible to pay less taxes.

There are far better ways these players can help the situation than their fake outrage.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 am

DirecTV refunds Sunday Ticket subscribers who are upset over NFL protests
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.3523593

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:39 am

Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I'm just saying no matter how much of a black eye the NFL took in recent years to where their product has suffered in many ways, it STILL is a juggernaut in comparison to other sports regardless of their own rating standards in comparison to itself. The NFL's issues have been documented for awhile and players like Kaepernick's antics factor into these dips, especially in a world where politics is becoming more and more dominate. It was bound to happen but the NFL will always be well oiled no matter how many jerseys you will set out to burn.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock ... le/2636837
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 am

Memorex wrote:

The NFL is under heavy political scrutiny and it will STILL survive. These "polls" and ratings aren't surprising. Still a juggernaut. Give it time after all of this political Trump BS goes away and NFL Sundays will still be standing with something new you can bitch about.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Memorex wrote:

The NFL is under heavy political scrutiny and it will STILL survive. These "polls" and ratings aren't surprising. Still a juggernaut. Give it time after all of this political Trump BS goes away and NFL Sundays will still be standing with something new you can bitch about.

Of course it will survive.

Frankly, I wish Trump would have never gotten involved. While it does highlight the disrespect, it also becomes about other things.

In no way do I want the players to be told they HAVE to stand. This is America and we have the first amendment and I support people's rights to be dumbasses all they want. What I would like to have happen, and I think will likely be the final outcome, is that owners decide what their policy is and then live by it. The most sane policy, and the one we all would generally have to live by with our employers is hey, you walk on that field during the anthem you stand quietly, hand over heart or not. But if you feel you dislike your country so much you want to kneel, then keep it in the locker room. No point in pissing off our customers.

Frankly, if someone walked out and said they were Jehovah Witness and could not solute the flag for religious reasons, I have zero problem with that. That is not a protest of our country. And as I said before, I may not have so much problem with even the protest if they were fair, like with the Cowboys and the officers or the New York teams and 9/11. But when you allow one and not the other, you have made a statement and everyone can then decide if they want to support your company or not.

You are the only person I know downplaying the damage. I was going to post a bunch of stats and articles this week showing the absolute beating they are taking right now. But I figured it would just be piling on. But I do know int he Boston market that hockey beat the NFL in TV ratings a week or two ago and a survey came out and said NFL went from first to third favorable sport. Now I am not sure of that survey, but they fell very far from the previous time that same survey was taken.

But after all this, Niners still suck ass, their ownership blows, and I am realizing more and more how over the NFL I am. For all the reasons.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Memorex wrote:You are the only person I know downplaying the damage. I was going to post a bunch of stats and articles this week showing the absolute beating they are taking right now. But I figured it would just be piling on. But I do know int he Boston market that hockey beat the NFL in TV ratings a week or two ago and a survey came out and said NFL went from first to third favorable sport. Now I am not sure of that survey, but they fell very far from the previous time that same survey was taken.

But after all this, Niners still suck ass, their ownership blows, and I am realizing more and more how over the NFL I am. For all the reasons.

Bro, you can post every single stat, survey's and polls as you want. All it does is make it look like you care far more than you're letting on. I won't lose sleep over any of it and my position on the matter still remains. As I said and will keep saying, these stats, ratings and polls are an indication of the high level stress situation the NFL finds itself in right now. We all know polls and things of that nature will always reflect the sign of the current times. It's not rocket science. Frankly, I don't think you're so over the NFL as you may be lieing to yourself. It stems by your last sentence of the 9'ers sucking and their ownership blowing. Those emotions are factoring into the fact that not only did the former QB of your favorite team start all of this, the 9'ers have also been irrelevant since Baltimore's goalline stand in 2012. No matter, I'm not thinking about ratings or any of that when I'm watching my favorite team. You site the Boston market but here in Pittsburgh, the ratings were actually higher than previous weeks and that's all that matters to me. I'll be sitting and watching on Sunday's because it's what I like to do, bullshit politics aside. The rest of the league and fans of teams rooting for Brian Hoyer are welcome to think otherwise.

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 am

I said earlier in this thread that three things were making me not watch football. I did not give one priority over the next. it's all just a bundle of reasons. Maybe one or even two would not be enough, but three is more than enough. You see to think I am some zealot who sits around wearing Make America Great Again gear and drawing prototypes for the wall. I'm simply just average Joe that is tired of the politicization of EVERYTHING, tired of money before fans, and tired of being sold to every second of the day. There is nothing wrong with me stepping back and saying you know what, this has gotten to the point it just isn't fun or real anymore. Fake protests. Fake owners. And a sport that was more concerned with how many minutes I could watch advertising over the actual sport.

I think half of the people that left the sport feel like I do and it will be a hard sell to get us back. To that end, the NFL may never be back to what it was. Or it may take a very long time. The other half of those people are just counter-politicking. I stopped watching during the pre-season of last year. The Dallas incident pushed me over the cliff. I did watch game one, but I knew then my heart was no longer in it. And I have not watched a game since. That pre-dates Trump saying anything. That even pre-dates SackOrPick doing his thing. Game one was after, but Dallas was before. This was just a personal feeling that had been building.

The NFL has not helped themselves in any way. Trump wins the argument because he defined what the current debate is. That's the media giving 24-7 attention to every word he says. The media plays so much into it and Trump just keeps one-upping everyone. How many media folks have been suspended or fired, how many teachers and professors? Everyone takes their shot and they just end up worse off than they were.

Anyway, the NFL made a mistake in engaging with him, but I was gone long before. I am a red blooded American and something tells me if the Niners won six straight I'd have to watch. But I'm not so sure. My heart is just empty for it right now. And it's not even sad.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am

Memorex wrote:I said earlier in this thread that three things were making me not watch football. I did not give one priority over the next. it's all just a bundle of reasons. Maybe one or even two would not be enough, but three is more than enough. You see to think I am some zealot who sits around wearing Make America Great Again gear and drawing prototypes for the wall. I'm simply just average Joe that is tired of the politicization of EVERYTHING, tired of money before fans, and tired of being sold to every second of the day. There is nothing wrong with me stepping back and saying you know what, this has gotten to the point it just isn't fun or real anymore. Fake protests. Fake owners. And a sport that was more concerned with how many minutes I could watch advertising over the actual sport.

I think half of the people that left the sport feel like I do and it will be a hard sell to get us back. To that end, the NFL may never be back to what it was. Or it may take a very long time. The other half of those people are just counter-politicking. I stopped watching during the pre-season of last year. The Dallas incident pushed me over the cliff. I did watch game one, but I knew then my heart was no longer in it. And I have not watched a game since. That pre-dates Trump saying anything. That even pre-dates SackOrPick doing his thing. Game one was after, but Dallas was before. This was just a personal feeling that had been building.

The NFL has not helped themselves in any way. Trump wins the argument because he defined what the current debate is. That's the media giving 24-7 attention to every word he says. The media plays so much into it and Trump just keeps one-upping everyone. How many media folks have been suspended or fired, how many teachers and professors? Everyone takes their shot and they just end up worse off than they were.

Anyway, the NFL made a mistake in engaging with him, but I was gone long before. I am a red blooded American and something tells me if the Niners won six straight I'd have to watch. But I'm not so sure. My heart is just empty for it right now. And it's not even sad.

It should be remembered that NFL owners are billionaires, and billionaires share many of the same agendas that Trump has.

They sent Pence to a game simply because they knew that players would kneel during the National Anthem, and that Pence would then leave. It was a political-publicity-stunt. Send the VP to a game so that he can leave the game after the players kneel during the National Anthem, then put it all over the "news" casts for political and ideology purposes. That's the only damn reason why Pence went to the game. To leave after the players kneel during the National Anthem, and to gain anti-black publicity. To stir-up shit! To divide and conquer!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Goodell just boxed the owners in a corner.. and likely tanked their numbers for the rest of the year....

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

slucero wrote:Goodell just boxed the owners in a corner.. and likely tanked their numbers for the rest of the year....

Is this referring to the NFL not making players stand?

Making them stand is the wrong approach. It's about not protesting on company time and being respectful to the league and fans. To me, the only solution to all of this is no more kneeling. No raised fists. Sit in the locker room during the anthem if you don't like it. Simple as that. Another solution would be to stop the anthem altogether. In this politicized climate, that will lose more fans though.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

With Rogers out probably the whole season (sadly), will be interesting how the power rankings will be.
scarab
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara