Foreigner fans got what JRNY fans always wanted

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Foreigner fans got what JRNY fans always wanted

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am

Agreed. I'd prefer Lou but I'll buy either way.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Aaron wrote:What I said was "I also thought Hanson was a bit disrespectful to Lou on stage". A one time event at one show.

Thanks for posting the links TNC.

I don't see any of those quotes being tough on Kelly and to be honest, he's likely following orders from Mick.

That's fair. At least we both probably agree it's time for a new Foreigner album.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am

Opinions vary. At a half step down my vote is not up to the task, no different than Arnel. But 90% of people don't know the difference anyhow. :(

lparn wrote:"Fortunately, I was up to the task."The task was breathing new life into hits Foreigner had been churning out since 1976, including 'Cold As Ice', 'Hot Blooded', 'Juke Box Hero' and 'I Want To Know What Love Is'.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am

Lou is also in that same hall of fame.

lparn wrote:Mick Jones is in the songwriters hall of fame
Which I think is quite prestigious and recognizes his Talents as a songwriter/musician
Not sure why the hall of fame rnr seems so political
As a foreigner fan I don't need to see them in there
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:59 am

Aaron wrote:Lou is also in that same hall of fame.

lparn wrote:Mick Jones is in the songwriters hall of fame
Which I think is quite prestigious and recognizes his Talents as a songwriter/musician
Not sure why the hall of fame rnr seems so political
As a foreigner fan I don't need to see them in there

Very true very talented songwriters
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:02 am

Aaron wrote:Opinions vary. At a half step down my vote is not up to the task, no different than Arnel. But 90% of people don't know the difference anyhow. :(

lparn wrote:"Fortunately, I was up to the task."The task was breathing new life into hits Foreigner had been churning out since 1976, including 'Cold As Ice', 'Hot Blooded', 'Juke Box Hero' and 'I Want To Know What Love Is'.

I think the talent mick has assembled to reform Foreigner is incredible all excellent especially Kelly and Jeff and Thom
Their shows are 100% never seem phoned in
I'm a huge fan of this line up as well
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:03 am

Can't slow down was awesome would love a new cd with this line up
lparn
45 RPM

Postby sniper16 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 am

as an update on oct 6/7 all current and former "original " members of foreigner joined on stage for 2 special shows the show started with the current band playing about 5 songs then a 3 song acoustic set with lou singing 1 song, the a couple more of the current band, then a 5/6 song set from the original band including rick wills who joined after the 3 lp and a 2 song encore w/ everyone, it was filmed for a dvd and hinted that more shows like this could happen. very special weekend
sniper16
8 Track

Postby lparn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 am

I saw online there is suppose to be a PBS special fromoments the latest reunion show
lparn
45 RPM

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Three quotes. Three diff. interviews (links at the bottom). The idea that Kelly is some sort of puppet is pretty dismissive imo.

The way you were getting hot under the collar about it, I thought you were going to pull up some David Lee Roth style interview where Lou referred to Kelly as "A hack", "My bitch", "A mediocre talent" and "not half as good as he thinks he is"

The term "trashing" seems excessive here. To me, if anything it felt a bit like a dig at Mick.

Reminds me of the old Inside Musicast with Mick where he subtly says, "You know the last few years with the old lineup weren't really 'sounding like the band anymore' and then he jumps into Kelly's praises for bringing that back.

At the time I thought, "He must really be telling Kelly to 'sing like the record' live.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:13 pm

lparn wrote:I think the talent mick has assembled to reform Foreigner is incredible all excellent especially Kelly and Jeff and Thom

No definitely not. I caught them earlier this year for the first time and was completely blown away by Kelly's stamina. It cannot be easy to sing those Lou Gramm parts ... and then bolt around stage like he does. At the show I saw, he sang one incredibly intense vocal while sprinting up a huge flight of stairs that I'm convinced most of the audience would have been in shape enough to walk up easily.

The fact that he held it up right until the very end was pretty mind boggling. He only showed he wasn't super human when his voice began to give out at the very, very end ... likely from exhaustion.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 am

DracIsBack wrote:The way you were getting hot under the collar about it, I thought you were going to pull up some David Lee Roth style interview where Lou referred to Kelly as "A hack", "My bitch", "A mediocre talent" and "not half as good as he thinks he is"

The term "trashing" seems excessive here. To me, if anything it felt a bit like a dig at Mick.

That's your opinion. As a fan keeping up with the band, I have read multiple interviews where Lou is dismissive of Kelly. Lou should take the high road. That is all.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tj » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 am

For almost any rock star, it has to be very difficult to be kicked to the curb by the band you helped - perhaps even more than anyone - reach the top. Ego and pride are strong motivators, so saying things that are dismissive of the replacement is not unexpected nor uncommon. Uncommon are those who step aside or are kicked aside and go about gracefully.

Gregg Rolie is an good example. Few, if any comments he has made about Journey since he left have been disparaging. Over almost 40 years, he has been consistent in his story about it being time for him to leave.

Also, we as fans often enjoy the drama. It makes for a better story when the old guy talks trash about the new guy. Even if it isn't intended, we will sometimes try to "read between the lines" when there is nothing really there. I think that what keeps more people silent are legal agreements not to write a disparaging book, trash talk, etc.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

DracIsBack wrote:
lparn wrote:I think the talent mick has assembled to reform Foreigner is incredible all excellent especially Kelly and Jeff and Thom

No definitely not. I caught them earlier this year for the first time and was completely blown away by Kelly's stamina. It cannot be easy to sing those Lou Gramm parts ... and then bolt around stage like he does. At the show I saw, he sang one incredibly intense vocal while sprinting up a huge flight of stairs that I'm convinced most of the audience would have been in shape enough to walk up easily.

The fact that he held it up right until the very end was pretty mind boggling. He only showed he wasn't super human when his voice began to give out at the very, very end ... likely from exhaustion.

I agree 100%
Hard to believe he is 56
I know he comes from a hair metal and studio singer
They are all very entertaining and see like they love what they do
lparn
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 pm

tj wrote:For almost any rock star, it has to be very difficult to be kicked to the curb by the band you helped - perhaps even more than anyone - reach the top. Ego and pride are strong motivators, so saying things that are dismissive of the replacement is not unexpected nor uncommon. Uncommon are those who step aside or are kicked aside and go about gracefully.

Gregg Rolie is an good example. Few, if any comments he has made about Journey since he left have been disparaging. Over almost 40 years, he has been consistent in his story about it being time for him to leave.

Also, we as fans often enjoy the drama. It makes for a better story when the old guy talks trash about the new guy. Even if it isn't intended, we will sometimes try to "read between the lines" when there is nothing really there. I think that what keeps more people silent are legal agreements not to write a disparaging book, trash talk, etc.

No he hasn't. Gregg made it clearer recently that Steve was a factor of leaving (2012 interview) Then the wanting a normal life was the side issue. And he has said that Steve had editorial control over BTM rock doc and that Herbie is a honorable guy (which IMO he isn't). So...no Gregg has said some things.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Triple S » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 am

lparn wrote:
DracIsBack wrote:

I agree 100%
Hard to believe he is 56
I know he comes from a hair metal and studio singer
They are all very entertaining and see like they love what they do

Saw them last night. Kelly is amazing, completely captivated the crowd. But no Mick - he hasn't been there for the last few dates here in Canada, not sure why. It was still a great show, and I'm not sure that a lot of the crowd even knew (or cared) that none of the band members were originals. They are all talented musicians and put on a very entertaining show.
Triple S
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am

I recall back a few years ago the old journey digest
There was some discussion on there about Kelly hansen being considered as singer in journey
I can't find anything on this online
Does anyone els3 remember this?
Thanks
lparn
45 RPM

Postby StoneCold » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm what, 7, 8 months late to this thread?

That was awesome to see.

Gramm singing his heart out with the band again.

Thanks for the post.

Mick and Lou with Billy Joel this year:

Urgent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVG-5Ln5h0

Cold As Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CaXgvzMUvk
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby JBlake » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 am

annie89509 wrote:
Gives us hope for SP. Eagerly waiting for his new album!!!

So did SP put out his new album? That was last year you wrote this. I seriously believe SP isn't ever coming back because I'm guessing he can't sing live anymore. They can work wonders in the recording studio these days, but live may only be a prerecording at best. 99.9% of the time I am very optimistic. This is the 0.01% time that I'm not, simply because history proves over and over again that something is "brewing" with SP but nothing ever materializes.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 am

JBlake wrote:
annie89509 wrote:
Gives us hope for SP. Eagerly waiting for his new album!!!

So did SP put out his new album? That was last year you wrote this. I seriously believe SP isn't ever coming back because I'm guessing he can't sing live anymore. They can work wonders in the recording studio these days, but live may only be a prerecording at best. 99.9% of the time I am very optimistic. This is the 0.01% time that I'm not, simply because history proves over and over again that something is "brewing" with SP but nothing ever materializes.

Have no fear JBlake. It's not SP's history, its our expectations. yes, he did say 2017 but he was more than likely only wanting to do AN album, and the record labels want more. And its not that he can't sing anymore otherwise he wouldn't have done the album at all or sung on the red carpet at the Need For Speed ACCAPELLA in 2014. Yes, he can sing very well as the recent years have proven...but have we all forgotten the gentleman's arthritis? As he said previously, it has NOT stopped at his hip. And conditions such as his DEGENERATIVE bone disease DOESN'T stop at one location, but moves to other places as well. Maybe that's what you meant by not being able to sing live anymore?
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:That's your opinion. As a fan keeping up with the band, I have read multiple interviews where Lou is dismissive of Kelly. Lou should take the high road. That is all.

My opinion is that you're reading into it.

And yeah, after seeing Kelly Hansen perform with life, he absolutely sounded like he was trying to sing like Lou. Every friggen nuance to his vocals sounded like he was copying the Foreigner record to me. He was incredible, but I 100% agree with what Lou is saying. And no, I didn't feel the same way about Augeri
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am

DracIsBack wrote:My opinion is that you're reading into it.

And yeah, after seeing Kelly Hansen perform with life, he absolutely sounded like he was trying to sing like Lou. Every friggen nuance to his vocals sounded like he was copying the Foreigner record to me. He was incredible, but I 100% agree with what Lou is saying. And no, I didn't feel the same way about Augeri

Wow. Is this the thread that won't die or what? I don't agree with anything you said. Lou has been sounding pretty bitter about the new Foreigner for a while. Since playing with Mick again, he has been more respectful. And Kelly has always been his own man. Never a clone.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Previous

Return to Journey