Live from Daryl's

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Live from Daryl's

Postby tj » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 pm

I was watching a Kenny Loggins concert on YouTube this evening and was reminded of Kenny being on Daryl's show. I think that would be a great forum for Steve to sing a little and just have some fun. Usually, Daryl's guests sing a few of their own songs with Daryl taking a verse and then they also sing some of Daryl's songs with the guest taking a verse. A couple of my favorites have been Cheap Trick and the OJays. What songs do you think would be good for this?
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Live from Daryl's

Postby RPM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 am

tj wrote:I was watching a Kenny Loggins concert on YouTube this evening and was reminded of Kenny being on Daryl's show. I think that would be a great forum for Steve to sing a little and just have some fun. Usually, Daryl's guests sing a few of their own songs with Daryl taking a verse and then they also sing some of Daryl's songs with the guest taking a verse. A couple of my favorites have been Cheap Trick and the OJays. What songs do you think would be good for this?

It is a very cool show and I too enjoyed Kenny’s episode, however Steve will not be doing it.
As Iam sure you noticed the people he gets on their do fan favorite songs and do them very well,
Other than WYLAW ( which He would still sound great on) most of the other hits highlights
Require his exceptional range to do them justice. Sure he could pull off of FLOSM or some new
Material but that’s not really what they do on that show correct? Dramatically stepping down old hits
Won’t cut it and Steve is smart enough to know that.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Daryl could never sing Journey songs in their original key... pretty sure he doesn't even do Hall & Oates songs in their original key anymore either

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby RPM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 am

slucero wrote:Daryl could never sing Journey songs in their original key... pretty sure he doesn't even do Hall & Oates songs in their original key anymore either

I think your absolutely correct.
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 pm

RPM wrote:
slucero wrote:Daryl could never sing Journey songs in their original key... pretty sure he doesn't even do Hall & Oates songs in their original key anymore either

Which is fine with me. Daryl's show isn't lacking in entertainment, regardless of key. I m not a stickler for the original key. To me, it is about the same as when the songs are not sung exactly the same way they are on the album.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm

tj wrote:
RPM wrote:

Which is fine with me. Daryl's show isn't lacking in entertainment, regardless of key. I m not a stickler for the original key. To me, it is about the same as when the songs are not sung exactly the same way they are on the album.

I have no doubt you ( and many others) would enjoy it, It’s a fun relaxed setting and your right very entertaining.
it’s not uncommon For bands to step down songs and most people may not even know the difference or care.
It’s obviously just my opinion but I think Steve does care enough about preserving the quality of their work
Not to record those songs again in any way.
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 am

You are absolutely right. And I wouldn't care two squats about Steve singing or not singing in the original key. I don't think he does either...or else 2014 would have NEVER EVER happened. And he knew it was going to be recorded.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Pacfanweb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:25 am

bellairepark73 wrote:

You are absolutely right. And I wouldn't care two squats about Steve singing or not singing in the original key. I don't think he does either...or else 2014 would have NEVER EVER happened. And he knew it was going to be recorded.

Yep. Nobody cares that much about the songs being done "as they were". Nobody with a voice like Perry can still do such a thing when they're nearly 70.
There are a few lower tenors that still have nearly all their voices intact (Dennis Deyoung, Mickey Thomas) but neither of them were as high and clear as Perry was and regardless, they are the exception, not the rule.

He could do some of the more manageable songs that will still sound okay tuned down.

I've been saying for years that if he didn't want to do a tour, he could do a weekend residency in Vegas like Garth Brooks did. Play Friday and Sunday or something like that. Do a mostly unplugged set, do some Journey, some solo, and some of his influences like Sam Cooke. Tickets would be practically unobtainable and he would get to scratch the performing itch a bit. He could have whatever singer is in town at the moment come in and duet here and there.

But I think he mostly doesn't do anything because he gets paid like he's touring when Journey is on the road. He simply doesn't have to do anything.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby RPM » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

Yep. Nobody cares that much about the songs being done "as they were". Nobody with a voice like Perry can still do such a thing when they're nearly 70.
There are a few lower tenors that still have nearly all their voices intact (Dennis Deyoung, Mickey Thomas) but neither of them were as high and clear as Perry was and regardless, they are the exception, not the rule.

He could do some of the more manageable songs that will still sound okay tuned down.

I've been saying for years that if he didn't want to do a tour, he could do a weekend residency in Vegas like Garth Brooks did. Play Friday and Sunday or something like that. Do a mostly unplugged set, do some Journey, some solo, and some of his influences like Sam Cooke. Tickets would be practically unobtainable and he would get to scratch the performing itch a bit. He could have whatever singer is in town at the moment come in and duet here and there.

But I think he mostly doesn't do anything because he gets paid like he's touring when Journey is on the road. He simply doesn't have to do anything.

Well Nobody is a pretty blank statement to make and I maybe a nobody but Iam a somebody :lol:
If he wanted to go out and have fun like he did with the Eels who could be grudge him that no matter
What he sang, but I think his standards are higher than many fans who would be happy with anything.
Elvis still packed a full house for his last show and should have been in a hospital......
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 pm

RPM wrote:Well Nobody is a pretty blank statement to make and I maybe a nobody but Iam a somebody :lol:
If he wanted to go out and have fun like he did with the Eels who could be grudge him that no matter
What he sang, but I think his standards are higher than many fans who would be happy with anything.
Elvis still packed a full house for his last show and should have been in a hospital......

I am glad SP has taken way better care of himself than Elvis did.
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry