Journey's Jonathan Cain Talks Band Feud: 'Let's Hit Reset'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... ic-w516763

The keyboardist stayed quiet last year while guitarist Neal Schon bashed him online, but now he's says its time to make peace

By Andy Greene

Just a few months after they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year, Journey went into complete meltdown mode. The trouble began near the end of their summer tour when guitarist Neal Schon began unloading on keyboardist Jonathan Cain via Twitter and a series of interviews. He was furious that Cain took members of the group to the White House and posed for photos with Donald Trump (Cain's wife, Paula White, is the president's spiritual advisor). He was also upset that Cain, in his view, minimized his contributions to key songs like "Don't Stop Believin'" and that he was using the band's platform to share his born-again Christian views with the fan base.

"I've stated how I felt about mixing religion and politics and how our music is not of one religion – Democratic or Republican," Schon wrote on Instagram. "This is and has been an issue with myself Mr. Cain and his now wife, since he married. I've had to fight this whole time to protect the brand I built with Steve Perry, way before Gregg [Rolie] and I picked Cain to replace himself when he wanted to retire from the road back then. Well frankly, I'm tired of having to defend all by my self. [Journey bassist] Ross [Valory] is no help."

For weeks on end, Schon slammed Cain and Journey's management via the Internet. It was hard to imagine how that group could continue in the light of such a nasty public spat, and in December, when Schon announced a special charity show with former members of the group, it seemed like he was looking for an exit strategy. But last month, Journey announced a co-headlining tour with Def Leppard that will keep them on the road for much of the summer without any lineup changes.

Jonathan Cain said very little about the Schon feud while it was raging, but when he came into the Rolling Stone office to chat about his upcoming memoir Don't Stop Believin' (much more on that closer to it's May 1st release date), we asked him about the whole situation.

What's the status of your relationship with Neal? Are you on speaking terms?

At this point, I'll see him at rehearsals for the tour. That's the way we always operate. I move forward. I don't live in the Bay Area anymore. I have a life with Paula in Florida. He's got a life with [his wife] Michaele in San Rafael. We meet when we get on the road.

In your estimation, what caused him to get so angry with you?

You'd have to ask him. I can't speak for him. It was just something that happened. We've had a tremendous relationship for 38 years. Any relationship that goes on that long, there's bound to be bumps in the road. But I think the band and our fans are bigger than all of this stuff. When you read my book, you'll see the mountains and the struggles that we had to overcome together. There were insurmountable situations where we were like, "How are we going to get out of this one?" Neal and I brought this thing, along with the rest of the guys, back to where it belonged. I'll always be grateful for that. We're brothers. I'm proud of that.

He says that, among other things, he's frustrated that you don't want to make a new Journey album. Is that right?

That's not necessarily true. ... I think there's timing for everything. I just felt like the last couple of years wasn't the time for new music. There has to be a time where it feels right, not only for the marketplace, but for us as a band. It's expensive to go into the studio. I went through a divorce. The last thing I needed was to go spend a bunch of money. I'm trying to take care of my life and get on with it. So, when the time is right, yeah. But I mean, we have enough music. The Rolling Stones haven't made a new album in years. I watched them and thought, "Well, they don't make new music." The business has changed.

Do you think there's an audience for new Journey songs?

It's small [makes a tiny circle with his finger and thumb] I've certainly been writing. I've got some killer new ideas, so maybe it'll happen. I'm looking forward. If it's going to happen, we have to all come together. And it has to feel like the right time. 

Is it hard to be on the road with someone that's bashing you on Twitter day after day?

Again, it's not hard. It's something that you tolerate. It's kind of like if you have a fight with your wife. You live in the same house. You have to weather it and overcome it. For the fans, the music is all that matters. We all have our private life and then we have Journey. You go through these things and you gotta get out the steam. Everybody has to vent. Then it's like, "OK, you said what you said. You said how you feel. Let's move on." That's how I feel. Let's hit reset and make great music.

He was particularly upset about the White House visit. What was your read on that?

For me, it was a historical chance to go and it wasn't political. I'm a history buff and was dying to see where all this history took place. I know Arnel [Pineda] wanted to meet the Filipino lady [Cristeta Comerford] that has worked as a chef there for 20-something years. And Neal and I weren't on speaking terms during that time. He was bashing me about my faith, so I didn't think he would want to come. That's all.

I guess he saw the whole band there and ...
It wasn't really a band sort of thing. We're friends with Sarah Huckabee from before the presidential thing. It was just an offer to take a tour. It wasn't an endorsement. Not at all. And Ross decided to come and see the building that Eisenhower bowled in. I was like, "A bowling alley? How cool!" We got to see the loft where they make the cookies. The kitchen was so tiny. We saw all the little nooks and crannies and were like, "Oh, my gosh, this is amazing."
Historically, it felt good to visit. But come to me. Don't go to the fans about it. If you had a problem with it, talk to me. I never heard from him.

Are you anxious to sit down with him and hash things out before the tour?

Yeah, sure. Sure.

Do you think that's going to happen?

Yeah. It will. When people read the book, they will see the kind of brotherhood that Neal and I forged. I think that's unbreakable. 

By the way, which group is going to play last at those Def Leppard shows?

We're flip-flopping. In the cities where they are strong, they're closing. The cities we're strong, we're gonna close. It's kind of half and half. 
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Journey's Jonathan Cain Talks Band Feud: 'Let's Hit Rese

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 pm

tater1977 wrote:By the way, which group is going to play last at those Def Leppard shows?

We're flip-flopping. In the cities where they are strong, they're closing. The cities we're strong, we're gonna close. It's kind of half and half. 

Does this mean Journey is closing in Detroit? Come on. Journey is strongest in Detroit.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:24 pm

JourneyHard wrote:
tater1977 wrote:By the way, which group is going to play last at those Def Leppard shows?

Does this mean Journey is closing in Detroit? Come on. Journey is strongest in Detroit.

Journey always sells out in Detroit. Will be interesting to see if they fill the ballpark.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby ScarabFan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm

tater1977 wrote:Journey's Jonathan Cain Talks Band Feud: 'Let's Hit Reset'

He says that, among other things, he's frustrated that you don't want to make a new Journey album. Is that right?

That's not necessarily true. ... I think there's timing for everything. I just felt like the last couple of years wasn't the time for new music. There has to be a time where it feels right, not only for the marketplace, but for us as a band. It's expensive to go into the studio. I went through a divorce. The last thing I needed was to go spend a bunch of money. I'm trying to take care of my life and get on with it. So, when the time is right, yeah. But I mean, we have enough music. The Rolling Stones haven't made a new album in years. I watched them and thought, "Well, they don't make new music." The business has changed. 

I shouldn't be angry with this with all the problems in the world, but this response pisses me off. Cain just finished TWO albums in the last year that won't sell anything, but can't be bothered to make a new Journey record for that little itty bitty irrelevant circle of Journey fans who want new music. This guy has got to go.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 pm

ScarabFan wrote:

I shouldn't be angry with this with all the problems in the world, but this response pisses me off. Cain just finished TWO albums in the last year that won't sell anything, but can't be bothered to make a new Journey record for that little itty bitty irrelevant circle of Journey fans who want new music. This guy has got to go.

I expect it costs a lot less for him to do a solo album than to make a Journey album, and a lot less hassle, too.

Last Journey album didn't sell 100k. Really isn't worth it to make another one. They're a nostalgia act now. No two ways about it. Only chance they'd have at all to make an album that would sell anything is with a former singer, and that will never happen.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby slucero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Cain owns this studio: http://addictionsound.squarespace.com

The studio even lists Journey and Neal as a "clients"....

The cost of making an album (when one owns the studio) is logically much less if one does not, and has to pay for studio time...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby tj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 pm

slucero wrote:Cain owns this studio: http://addictionsound.squarespace.com

The cost of making an album (when one owns the studio) is logically much less if one does not, and has to pay for studio time...

And probably has a mortgage on it or investors who expect it to make a profit, not giving time away to one of the most successful bands in history. Besides, if he doesn't feel like writing Journey tunes, do we really want another album of mediocre or less material from them?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm sorry i dont believe a word he says
I respect his faith
Just don't think it belongs in music
Nor does exploiting the band name
I unfortunately am priced out of this tour
Can't afford ticket prices for tired gh set
Feel like since rnrhof they dont care abt fans
lparn
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:Only chance they'd have at all to make an album that would sell anything is with a former singer, and that will never happen.

You're right, Robert Fleischman will never record a new album with Journey. :lol:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

I think Cain defended himself pretty well here. And he's got a point when he says....

CAIN: Historically, it felt good to visit [the White House]. But come to me. Don't go to the fans about it. If you had a problem with it, talk to me. I never heard from him.

Schon is such a pussy.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 am

I find aspects of JC's religious based affiliation eminently creepy (Bakkers, etc. Even Paula herself seems weird) and I want new Journey material.

That said, he came off much classier and more mature - especially in this interview - than Neal has during the entire conflict.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am

Gideon wrote:I find aspects of JC's religious based affiliation eminently creepy (Bakkers, etc. Even Paula herself seems weird) and I want new Journey material.

That said, he came off much classier and more mature - especially in this interview - than Neal has during the entire conflict.

Agreed. His excuses are BS but he held his own.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:22 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
ScarabFan wrote:

I expect it costs a lot less for him to do a solo album than to make a Journey album, and a lot less hassle, too.

Last Journey album didn't sell 100k. Really isn't worth it to make another one. They're a nostalgia act now. No two ways about it. Only chance they'd have at all to make an album that would sell anything is with a former singer, and that will never happen.

If he records a solo album and plans on promoting his solo career with a tour, he's going to be playing the songs from that album. If Journey puts out another album, they're still going to play the hits on tour. There is no motivation or reasoning for him to pen new Journey tunes at this point.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby efrasjourney » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 am

ScarabFan wrote:

Yeah man, I'm in agreement. His response was way too superficial and like when you say something that has no justification.
efrasjourney
Ol' 78

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 am

The only line that made me cringe was "we have enough music." It makes him sound lazy akin to Billy Joel. But the reality is, with the touring packages management keeps putting together for them, he's right. There's never going to be a night when they play longer than 90 minutes. So what's the point?
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

There SHOULD be motivation for Cain/Journey to record new music. It's called making your fans happy, having creativity, loving your field, and not being nothing more than a touring jukebox.

Cain has money out the ass. It's not that expensive to record a new album when you own your own studio and are splitting the cost of making the album with other band members.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Even Steve Perry cannot sell albums anymore which is why I think he isn't releasing his new album. But I think they need to put ego behind them and just make a new Journey album that they know won't sell. Hard-core fans will buy it and enjoy it. That is more than most musicians ever get. Cain is a cool guy, but sometimes he is really full of himself. He acts like only he can write lyrics. I like the lyrics of all the Journey albums before Cain joined. Sometimes, he gets too wordy and doesn't know when to stop writing a song.

To sum up, in a perfect world, Journey would do an album of songs from Eclipse and Revelations with Deen on lead vocals, and then do another album of new material in a year or so. Probably won't happen, but that would really push Journey forward if it did.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 am

This is kind of like the Eagles. Henley and some of the band members can't stand each other, but they know where the money comes from, so they pull it together at tour time...like Journey.
steveo777
MP3

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Even Steve Perry cannot sell albums anymore which is why I think he isn't releasing his new album. But I think they need to put ego behind them and just make a new Journey album that they know won't sell. Hard-core fans will buy it and enjoy it. That is more than most musicians ever get. Cain is a cool guy, but sometimes he is really full of himself. He acts like only he can write lyrics. I like the lyrics of all the Journey albums before Cain joined. Sometimes, he gets too wordy and doesn't know when to stop writing a song.

To sum up, in a perfect world, Journey would do an album of songs from Eclipse and Revelations with Deen on lead vocals, and then do another album of new material in a year or so. Probably won't happen, but that would really push Journey forward if it did.

Is that so? That's a fact? You really know that Steve can't sell an album? You spoke to him? You ran the numbers? You're positive about that?
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:Only chance they'd have at all to make an album that would sell anything is with a former singer, and that will never happen.

You're right, Robert Fleischman will never record a new album with Journey. :lol:

No he might...the really famous one won't. (And don't start!)
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Don't go to the fans huh Mr. Cain aka Frigga? When he was trying to talk to you about new music for years...were you listening? No Neal was furious...and this side project is exactly what Neal said out loud on Instagram...the future. No Deen is NOT going back to JRNY but Neal's side project wasn't called JRNY was it? It was called Journey Through Time and Neal hasn't been that happy in a LONG time!

Also...I have a feeling that Neal wasn't just upset with the politics but the money grubbing and stealing that J. Cain and his wife were doing too. Disgusting.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby SF-Dano » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 am

In regards to the white house visit, didn't Neal state in one of his many posts that they had discussed it as a band.....and as a band decision decided they would not go to the WH? Not sure if true, but these guys have all been spewing BS quotes for decades.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

SF-Dano wrote:In regards to the white house visit, didn't Neal state in one of his many posts that they had discussed it as a band.....and as a band decision decided they would not go to the WH? Not sure if true, but these guys have all been spewing BS quotes for decades.

This is why I think Neal is/was wrong and over-reacted. As JC just clarified, and AP previously stated, this was an invitation to personally tour the WH ...whoever wanted to go showed up. It was not meant to be a band event or any kind of band promotion. Of course, in today social media climate, someone took pictures and it got put out, with caption saying something like "Journey visits White House." I'm sure none of those guys asked for the publicity, and they had no control over what/how it was posted.

Neal saw the photos and blew his top. We all know how sensitive he can be .. lashes out for the slightest reasons... someone once remarked he had a "Napoleon Complex" ... probably was thinking and said as much in his many rants: "I'm Journey! ... if I'm not there, nobody else should be"
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 pm

annie89509 wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:In regards to the white house visit, didn't Neal state in one of his many posts that they had discussed it as a band.....and as a band decision decided they would not go to the WH? Not sure if true, but these guys have all been spewing BS quotes for decades.

This is why I think Neal is/was wrong and over-reacted. As JC just clarified, and AP previously stated, this was an invitation to personally tour the WH ...whoever wanted to go showed up. It was not meant to be a band event or any kind of band promotion. Of course, in today social media climate, someone took pictures and it got put out, with caption saying something like "Journey visits White House." I'm sure none of those guys asked for the publicity, and they had no control over what/how it was posted.

Neal saw the photos and blew his top. We all know how sensitive he can be .. lashes out for the slightest reasons... someone once remarked he had a "Napoleon Complex" ... probably was thinking and said as much in his many rants: "I'm Journey! ... if I'm not there, nobody else should be"

Neal wasn't grown up, educated, or mature, when he entered the music world. I'm still not sure if he ever mastered any of those things. BUT, he can play guitar very well and I love his playing. The other things I can overlook, as psycho babble, from someone who never properly developed.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Gideon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:49 am

steveo777 wrote:
annie89509 wrote:

Neal wasn't grown up, educated, or mature, when he entered the music world. I'm still not sure if he ever mastered any of those things. BUT, he can play guitar very well and I love his playing. The other things I can overlook, as psycho babble, from someone who never properly developed.

+1

Said it for years now, it seems pretty obvious that NS is a narcissist. And from what I've read here of various accounts of JC, he also seems like a different shade of douchebag.

But they're brilliant musicians and songwriters, so I try not to delve too deeply into their personal shit. It's said that a person should never meet their heroes and I'm thankful I'm not in Lora's position of personally knowing these people. I'd probably like them a lot less. :lol:
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 am

annie89509 wrote:

My feelings also. Neal feels that he alone is the face of Journey, the other guys are all replaceable, and it just killed him to see those guys together with the title "Journey" under the pictures.

He is an extremely talented guitar player, but he has a lot to learn about being a decent human being.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 am

He added that Ross was an add on because he wanted to see the bowling alley, so it may have started off not being a whole band thing. But it is the White House, I would go, even if I like the president or not.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

If Jonathan Cain wants to hit reset, he should push for a new Journey Album. Have a total of twelve tracks. For six tracks, Jonathan can have his mid-tempo songs and ballads. For the other six tracks, Neal can have the hard rocking tracks he desires. Everybody is happy!

The albums are kind of like Journey's children. If they stop making albums, the band will break up. Just sayin'
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

tj wrote:

And probably has a mortgage on it or investors who expect it to make a profit, not giving time away to one of the most successful bands in history. Besides, if he doesn't feel like writing Journey tunes, do we really want another album of mediocre or less material from them?

Its a private studio. It's owned solely by Jon and David Kalmusky. You can read that here: http://addictionsound.squarespace.com/

Addiction Sound Studio is the private studio of Jonathan Cain & David Kalmusky.

and here: http://recordingstudiorockstars.com/rsr ... d-studios/

Addiction Sound Studio

David Kalmuslky: I found a property in Berry Hill and called John up and said, “I found a little cottage maybe we could split it.” He said no, I sold my house and studio in California, if we’re doing to do it, let's build our dream studio. We wanted an echo chamber but knew there was no room in the blueprints of this building. One day I was out back and saw the Bobcat tractor start to dig up to pour concrete and they were digging pretty deep, so I sent John a text saying “underground echochamber, speak now or forever hold your peace,” and sure enough the phone rings and he’s like, “Let’s do it!!” So we rebuilt a replica of Abbey Roads Studios echochamber. It’s totally sealed off, it has a manhole, a sewer grate lid. Eventually we want to get a submarine hatch for it.

I agree with the last part.. I don't want another Cain written Journey album... I'm fucking sick of ballads...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am

slucero wrote:
tj wrote:

Its a private studio. It's owned solely by Jon and David Kalmusky. You can read that here: http://addictionsound.squarespace.com/

Addiction Sound Studio is the private studio of Jonathan Cain & David Kalmusky.

and here: http://recordingstudiorockstars.com/rsr ... d-studios/

Addiction Sound Studio

David Kalmuslky: I found a property in Berry Hill and called John up and said, “I found a little cottage maybe we could split it.” He said no, I sold my house and studio in California, if we’re doing to do it, let's build our dream studio. We wanted an echo chamber but knew there was no room in the blueprints of this building. One day I was out back and saw the Bobcat tractor start to dig up to pour concrete and they were digging pretty deep, so I sent John a text saying “underground echochamber, speak now or forever hold your peace,” and sure enough the phone rings and he’s like, “Let’s do it!!” So we rebuilt a replica of Abbey Roads Studios echochamber. It’s totally sealed off, it has a manhole, a sewer grate lid. Eventually we want to get a submarine hatch for it.

I agree with the last part.. I don't want another Cain written Journey album... I'm fucking sick of ballads...

If Journey did make another album and it had 12 or more songs on it, I'd be fine with it having 1 ballad. Maybe, maybe 2 ballads? But that's it!

I'd love another "Eclipse" style album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey