The first time ever!

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

The first time ever!

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Styx played Mr. Roboto for the first time live last night on the opening night of their summer tour. When it was played in 1984 on the Kilroy tour the music was on tape and only the lead vocal was live so this is the fist time Styx (as far as I know) ever played the song live! It is the first song on the encore. Full Roboto visuals to go with it.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: The first time ever!

Postby Cassie May » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:54 am

http://styxworld.com/news/news/453020/a ... -got-a-sec

Article on Styxworld. Fans are going ballistic in several groups on Facebook. Most pro for adding the song, some asking "WHY??? I hate that song!", and a little of the usual rhetoric of "Bring back DDY!"
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby masque » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:54 am

fantastic job! cool to see that one added.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:24 am

So the song they refused to play for 20 years, they're finally digging out?

Well, holy fuck.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:28 am

Cassie May wrote:http://styxworld.com/news/news/453020/a-styxworld-exclusive-secret-secret-i-ve-got-a-sec

Article on Styxworld. Fans are going ballistic in several groups on Facebook. Most pro for adding the song, some asking "WHY??? I hate that song!", and a little of the usual rhetoric of "Bring back DDY!"

I love how much exposure Dennis gets in this write up!
StyxGuy
LP

Postby masque » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:34 am

StyxGuy wrote:So the song they refused to play for 20 years, they're finally digging out?

Well, holy fuck.

you know when I think about it.....I dont ever really recall any of them saying that actually disliked the song Mr. Roboto.

TS said he struggled with the concept and having to write songs about robots to fit DDY's concept.

JY struggled with DDY's vision of doing a theatre tour while spending tons of money instead of playing enormo-domes.

TS struggled with the coming on stage and acting a part at the texas jam.

BUT, I dont recall any of them ever saying "hey that roboto song......it sucks!!!".

so maybe, just maybe, after nearly 35 years, one of them was sitting around and said, "hey you know that robot song we did on kilroy, it aint too bad, maybe for shits and giggles we ought to dust that one off and put it in the set for the new tour?"

more power to em. pretty cool decision I think.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 am

masque wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:So the song they refused to play for 20 years, they're finally digging out?

Well, holy fuck.

you know when I think about it.....I dont ever really recall any of them saying that actually disliked the song Mr. Roboto.

TS said he struggled with the concept and having to write songs about robots to fit DDY's concept.

JY struggled with DDY's vision of doing a theatre tour while spending tons of money instead of playing enormo-domes.

BUT, I dont recall any of them ever saying "hey that roboto song......it sucks!!!".

so maybe, just maybe, after nearly 35 years, one of them was sitting around and said, "hey you know that robot song we did on kilroy, it aint too bad, maybe for shits and giggles we ought to dust that one off and put it in the set for the new tour?"

Yes, very true. I just seem to recall interviews with them being asked and the response was "yeah, but we have all of these other songs people want to hear" from Tommy and JY, while Larry would just say "I'll play whatever they want, the catalogue has so many great tunes!"

According to their write-up, Dennis was the only one who ever performed the song live, the rest was a backing track. This meant that they never actually rehearsed Roboto to perform it live.

Even "crazier" is that it was JY who said "let's do this, it seems like fans continually ask for it from the feedback I'm getting"

I'll be happy to see them perform it when they come to Toronto (hopefully it's in every show). Just always felt as if that song was never going to be played by the current lineup, so it's quite a plea sent surprise :)
StyxGuy
LP

Postby StyxCollector » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 am

There are quite a few interviews over the years where they feel that the kitsch of Roboto detracted from things like what they did that rocked. Here's an interview with Gowan that talks about this directly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5oKtCzsHXQ

That song became/was the lightning rod for a lot of things. Both Todd and Glen had to force them to put it in the medleys. But no matter; they've gotten over it, which is good.

The irony? It's pretty close to the way DDY rocked it up. I laughed a little at this comment on the Styx site
"Tommy found a cover of it by another act online that let us know it could be more muscled up, so that’s what we did."

and

"Adding that song in makes it an even more well-rounded set. There’s something for everyone. And the production value of all of it is pretty great too."

Like I said, happy they are doing it, it comes off well.

Hell has *almost* frozen over.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:44 am

StyxGuy wrote:
masque wrote:

Well, holy fuck.

Yes, very true. I just seem to recall interviews with them being asked and the response was "yeah, but we have all of these other songs people want to hear" from Tommy and JY, while Larry would just say "I'll play whatever they want, the catalogue has so many great tunes!"

According to their write-up, Dennis was the only one who ever performed the song live, the rest was a backing track. This meant that they never actually rehearsed Roboto to perform it live.

Even "crazier" is that it was JY who said "let's do this, it seems like fans continually ask for it from the feedback I'm getting"

I'll be happy to see them perform it when they come to Toronto (hopefully it's in every show). Just always felt as if that song was never going to be played by the current lineup, so it's quite a plea sent surprise :)

Where in TO are you StyxGuy. ??
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 am

really cool. thanks for the link.
one of the few times Gowan doesnt sound like a Leprechaun and does a great Deyoung vocal.
I know the song is cheesy. But so catchy. So much like so many songs in the 70's/80's.

I too disliked most of KWH, as with EofTC and most everything that followed.
Paradise Theatre and past albums so good they set the bar so high.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I wish they wouldn't ignore KWH album as much, there are great songs on there, Heavy Metal Poisoning should be played, and I'd love to hear Double Life. I bet they are doing Mr. Roboto to be more 80's for this tour with Joan Jett and Tesla.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:16 am

Id love to hear the song Just Get Thru This Night. One of Tommy's best and one of Styx's most under rate never appreciated gems. Absolutely love that song.

As for the phrase 'shits and giggles' man I had not heard that in eons........... thats damn near as good as blowing chunks

Froys dog!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:19 am

Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. They appear like PR spin. Even though TS and JY may not have come out and literally said it, they wanted nothing to do with KWH post DDY's ousting. They made it clear that it wasn't the kind of thing Styx should have been doing. They clearly were intent in giving people the impression of "don't blame us for Roboto and KWH that was all DeYoung".
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:39 am

I’ve always said that Lawrence’s voice is perfect for this song. It’s a lot more in line with his 1980s solo material. Turns out he really does sound fantastic on it. Glad they added it to the set to offer a more complete concert experience for the fans.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:07 am

Boomchild wrote:Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. They appear like PR spin. Even though TS and JY may not have come out and literally said it, they wanted nothing to do with KWH post DDY's ousting. They made it clear that it wasn't the kind of thing Styx should have been doing. They clearly were intent in giving people the impression of "don't blame us for Roboto and KWH that was all DeYoung".

as for me, there is no PR spin.......to me, i think it simply boils down to that 35 years later things that seemed so important then maybe aren't as important now. things that bothered you then, time mellows your position a little.

hell, for all we know, they are simply doing it, to cause a damn uproar between the two camps of fans, which they are succeeding at.

I wouldnt place roboto in my top 20 styx songs, but I would certainly be happier about hearing it than babe.

when this version of styx starts doing babe, then we can know that the reunion is imminent.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:33 am

[quote="Archetype"]I’ve always said that Lawrence’s voice is perfect for this song. It’s a lot more in line with his 1980s solo material. Turns out he really does sound fantastic on it. Glad they added it to the set to offer a more complete concert experience for the fans.[/quote]

So how do you think the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz would sound singing it? Not the original but the 'now rockin' version!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby StyxGuy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:08 am

gr8dane wrote:Where in TO are you StyxGuy. ??

I live down in Kitchener-Waterloo, but end up in Toronto for concerts as we don't get much here.

We've had Styx in Kitchener twice in 18 years. In 2000, where maybe 500 people showed up from what I recall, then in 2014 where they played an outdoor festival but it was only a 10 song set.

We did have one of the Gowan solo shows last year (sold out show, just over 700)

I've seen Dennis once, the next time he was supposed to play he cancelled due to having Shingles. Never got to see him over the years when he's come to the GTA unfortunately. I see he's playing the CNE bandshell in August and in Brampton in October!
StyxGuy
LP

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 am

masque wrote:
Boomchild wrote:Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. They appear like PR spin. Even though TS and JY may not have come out and literally said it, they wanted nothing to do with KWH post DDY's ousting. They made it clear that it wasn't the kind of thing Styx should have been doing. They clearly were intent in giving people the impression of "don't blame us for Roboto and KWH that was all DeYoung".

as for me, there is no PR spin.......to me, i think it simply boils down to that 35 years later things that seemed so important then maybe aren't as important now. things that bothered you then, time mellows your position a little.

hell, for all we know, they are simply doing it, to cause a damn uproar between the two camps of fans, which they are succeeding at.

I wouldnt place roboto in my top 20 styx songs, but I would certainly be happier about hearing it than babe.

when this version of styx starts doing babe, then we can know that the reunion is imminent.

I gave you proof of some PR spin above in the interview I linked. Boomchild is right - has everyone forgotten the BTM? Look, they didn't want to do another concept album, and definitely not one about robots. The fact Side 2 of KWH is awesome aside, it was not something they all loved. Dennis has said it was a mistake in hindsight, and Roboto wasn't going to be the single (which was a hit but alienated some of the old audience), etc.

They didn't do Roboto in 96 or 97 when it would have been smart to do, and as I said above, Todd and Glen had to force it into medleys. It was the only way they'd do any bit of it.

Rocked up, be it Styx or DDY, it's a fun live tune. Looks, if they are taking the piss or a stab at DDY (and I have ZERO proof of that nor do I think it), it's their business.

IMO you'll see BoT long before Babe (which they did do in Japan many moons ago with Gowan). If you see that, it's not indicative of a reunion. It's just smart business. Play your hits regardless of who wrote them.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:11 am

I think Gowan did a very good job. Not sure what all the hate is about.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby masque » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 am

I saw them do BOT in St. Louis at the Fox Theatre with Gowan on the Brave New World tour.

That is the one song I think their set does suffer from not having in there. BOT should be there.....at least my ears think so. 8)
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:22 am

StyxCollector wrote:
masque wrote:

I gave you proof of some PR spin above in the interview I linked. Boomchild is right - has everyone forgotten the BTM? Look, they didn't want to do another concept album, and definitely not one about robots. The fact Side 2 of KWH is awesome aside, it was not something they all loved. Dennis has said it was a mistake in hindsight, and Roboto wasn't going to be the single (which was a hit but alienated some of the old audience), etc.

They didn't do Roboto in 96 or 97 when it would have been smart to do, and as I said above, Todd and Glen had to force it into medleys. It was the only way they'd do any bit of it.

Rocked up, be it Styx or DDY, it's a fun live tune. Looks, if they are taking the piss or a stab at DDY (and I have ZERO proof of that nor do I think it), it's their business.

IMO you'll see BoT long before Babe (which they did do in Japan many moons ago with Gowan). If you see that, it's not indicative of a reunion. It's just smart business. Play your hits regardless of who wrote them.

Oh I understand some folks are doing a PR spin.......my post was saying as for me, I am personally not spinning anything.

as for the band doing things we didn't think they would because of past feelings.....that's exactly it.......the link the JY interview sums it up perfectly. as he continues to get older he is mellowing and I am sure TS is as well.....and they look at the songs differently and appreciate them differently than what they may have done 35 years ago or even 5 years ago.

people's perspectives change.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:28 am

Some of you all are so pathetic. Absolute hypocrites. Those of you, like the band, who based DDY for Roboto - now that Styx decides to play it think its fantastic. Un-fucking-Believable. Do you realize how hypocritical you are? Do you realize how hypocritical Styx is? What a complete fucking joke!

You all are no better than Trump voters. Tommy Shaw could shoot someone in the middle of New York City and you would defend him. What a joke!
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:31 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Styx played Mr. Roboto for the first time live last night on the opening night of their summer tour. When it was played in 1984 on the Kilroy tour the music was on tape and only the lead vocal was live so this is the fist time Styx (as far as I know) ever played the song live! It is the first song on the encore. Full Roboto visuals to go with it.

The same song that you've said for many years sucks? OK, cool. Now that Styx plays it, you're on board. Hypocrite.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:32 am

masque wrote:fantastic job! cool to see that one added.

Ah...hypocrite #2....Someone who blasts the song all the time. Now that its been blessed by Tommy Shaw, its all good....
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:33 am

masque wrote:

Well, holy fuck.

Tommy Shaw could shoot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and some of you all would defend him. You're pathetic.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:34 am

StyxCollector wrote:There are quite a few interviews over the years where they feel that the kitsch of Roboto detracted from things like what they did that rocked. Here's an interview with Gowan that talks about this directly:

That song became/was the lightning rod for a lot of things. Both Todd and Glen had to force them to put it in the medleys. But no matter; they've gotten over it, which is good.

The irony? It's pretty close to the way DDY rocked it up. I laughed a little at this comment on the Styx site
"Tommy found a cover of it by another act online that let us know it could be more muscled up, so that’s what we did."

and

"Adding that song in makes it an even more well-rounded set. There’s something for everyone. And the production value of all of it is pretty great too."

Hypocrite #3
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 am

Boom - I give you credit for not bowing down to the almighty Styx here and seeing this for what it is.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:38 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I think Gowan did a very good job. Not sure what all the hate is about.

Because they've spent the last 35 years lambasting the song. A bit hypocritical. Likely because promoters probably keep requesting it and they realize they will start losing jobs if they don't add it. Remember, for Shaw and JY its all about the almighty $$$.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Toph wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Styx played Mr. Roboto for the first time live last night on the opening night of their summer tour. When it was played in 1984 on the Kilroy tour the music was on tape and only the lead vocal was live so this is the fist time Styx (as far as I know) ever played the song live! It is the first song on the encore. Full Roboto visuals to go with it.

The same song that you've said for many years sucks? OK, cool. Now that Styx plays it, you're on board. Hypocrite.

Toph is in total meltdown mode! Step away from the computer and put 10 from broadway in the tape deck. This too shall pass! :lol:
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Toph wrote:
StyxCollector wrote:There are quite a few interviews over the years where they feel that the kitsch of Roboto detracted from things like what they did that rocked. Here's an interview with Gowan that talks about this directly:

and

Hypocrite #3

You need reading comprehension. I can say they did a good job by still pointing out the obvious (see said quotes and link to Gowan's interview): they avoided Roboto like the plague for 35 years outside of the medleys. The reason Iaughed at the "rock it up" comment is that it's not so dissimilar to a certain other band's version who shall not be named. You really can't read sarcasm a bit.

And the Chuck quote about the balanced set - it's been my criticism of Styx all along. "We rock!" There has been very little balance to the set, which is what DDY's has had with ballads and everything inbetween. This is a step in the right direction.

That doesn't change the fact that I believe they did it well. Roboto is more suited for Gowan's range/tamber than other Styx songs. No matter what the reasoning is, it's good to see that they're doing different things. I haven't paid to see Styx in in a few years because the set got stale. I saw DDY for the first time in awhile last summer when he did GI in IL. Why? The set list just doesn't change enough for me with him either, even though I enjoy his shows immensely. I also saw him a few months ago doing a hits show and enjoyed it. It had been awhile. Sometimes you need to go away to appreciate what they are.

Life's too short to be bitter, Toph. I will criticize Dennis as much as I'll criticize Styx if it's warranted. I'm no sycophant.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Styx