Journey 2018 Tour

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Journey 2018 Tour

Postby Gideon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 am

Anybody listened to some of their more recent shows? Arnel sounds rough to my ears. I’m really worried about his pipes.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am

It is hard to include new songs with only 15 songs or fewer per concert. They have to get Travis to sing a couple songs and that would allow them to expand to 17 songs per concert and include Change for The Better and To Whom It May Concern. Those might be two of the best songs they have done with Arnel.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
scarab wrote:Looks like Wildest Dream has been dropped as well making the "newest" song was recorded in 1986, 32 years ago. :shock:

Pathetic! They should be playing an Arrival song and an Eclipse song every night.

They should open every show with either Higher Place or To Be Alive Again. Great upbeat songs!
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Gideon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 pm

I saw on Twitter that Neal retweeted a video from The Real Music Observer where he bitches at Jon for playing so much rhythm guitar on this tour.

I remember a day when part of Jon’s appeal to Neal was his ability to play guitar and I always thought it was Neal, not Jon himself, who wanted Jon to play rhythm.

Seems like Neal is still being a passive aggressive, egomaniacal asswipe. The biggest mistake I ever made as a fan was getting to know the history and personalities that have comprised this band.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am

Gideon wrote:I saw on Twitter that Neal retweeted a video from The Real Music Observer where he bitches at Jon for playing so much rhythm guitar on this tour.

I remember a day when part of Jon’s appeal to Neal was his ability to play guitar and I always thought it was Neal, not Jon himself, who wanted Jon to play rhythm.

Seems like Neal is still being a passive aggressive, egomaniacal asswipe. The biggest mistake I ever made as a fan was getting to know the history and personalities that have comprised this band.

Wow. Jon's playing more guitar because they added a second keyboardist. The fact that Neal communicates through his twitter tells you all you need to know. Dude is a straight up little pussy. As for Music Observer's video...he claims having Cain on stage with rhythm guitar will confuse audiences as to who the real guitarist is. This is so dumb. So of course Neal re-tweeted it. Neal loves flattery and appeals to insecure fragile ego.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 am

Gideon wrote:Anybody listened to some of their more recent shows? Arnel sounds rough to my ears. I’m really worried about his pipes.

He's sounded rough off and on for several years now. Dude's in his 50's. It shows in his voice. Isn't going to get better.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:26 am

I know he’s in his 50s and it’s only downhill from here, so they need to be very careful with him.
Check out the Hartford show at the beginning of this tour. He sounds fucking fantastic. But he’s being run into the ground.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Gideon wrote:I saw on Twitter that Neal retweeted a video from The Real Music Observer where he bitches at Jon for playing so much rhythm guitar on this tour.

Wow. Jon's playing more guitar because they added a second keyboardist. The fact that Neal communicates through his twitter tells you all you need to know. Dude is a straight up little pussy. As for Music Observer's video...he claims having Cain on stage with rhythm guitar will confuse audiences as to who the real guitarist is. This is so dumb. So of course Neal re-tweeted it. Neal loves flattery and appeals to insecure fragile ego.

Agreed. It’s been obvious for years that Neal’s a narcissist, but fuck it’s gotten wayyyyyyyyyy worse over the last few years. Goddamn.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Any bets on, if the setlists change up, on this next go around ?
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

tater1977 wrote:Any bets on, if the setlists change up, on this next go around ?

I've been waiting for years to hear them open the show with IBAWY, the fans would go nuts when they hear the opening riff, then actually hear them play the song, for the first time in years. Please do that! There's a lot of good stuff on the ROR album that needs to be dusted off.
steveo777
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

steveo777 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Any bets on, if the setlists change up, on this next go around ?

I've been waiting for years to hear them open the show with IBAWY, the fans would go nuts when they hear the opening riff, then actually hear them play the song, for the first time in years. Please do that! There's a lot of good stuff on the ROR album that needs to be dusted off.

That would be great. Glad we got to see SP sing it live back then.
You're right, there's a lot of good stuff on the ROR album.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm

tater1977 wrote:
steveo777 wrote:

That would be great. Glad we got to see SP sing it live back then.
You're right, there's a lot of good stuff on the ROR album.

So what's standing against us hearing some of those songs? Guarantee it's Neal. I sure wish he'd pay attention to what the fans want and set his own ego aside, if even for a little while. It's almost like he's got some form of PTSD about that album, but at least they play Be Good To Yourself.
steveo777
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Just seems like Neal has his own agenda right now, not sure what it is.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Journey’s keyboardist never stops believin’
Brett Milano, Music Friday, August 10, 2018

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... s_believin

… For his part, Cain swears he’s not political: “I’m a music guy, I stand on the sidelines and let my wife do her work of bringing the Kingdom into the White House.”
:roll:

As for his relationship with Schon, he said, “We’ve buried the hatchet and hit reset. I’ll admit that I was holding my breath this year when I walked into rehearsal. But we’re been totally cool with each other.”
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 am

Wow, what happened to these two :?:
Thought the brolove was thick there.
:roll: :lol:
NEAL SCHON MUSIC @NealSchonMusic
6 Aug 2017

The Not so Real music observer is now trying to imply that I manipulated our set to ruin Arnel's voice..lol Same set We play all the time (clown face)

Rod Light Music @RodLight4

Sound mix was real bad. But wouldn’t be able to comment if was improved unless saw another show. Which with this lineup is unlikely. @muzikobserver has some points. But do find his observations a bit out in left field! DL definitely carried this tour! They were amazing!

David Spuria @muzikobserver

Replying to @RodLight4 @NealSchonMusic
How did I get thrown into this conversation and if I'm in left field than find a new stadium...man.
10:52 AM - 10 Aug 2018
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:38 am

Once again, Neal proves what a complete a## hole he is. He needs to stay off all social media while touring. :shock: :roll:

Welcome back Tater..Hope you enjoyed your travels.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 pm

perryfan61 wrote:Once again, Neal proves what a complete a## hole he is. He needs to stay off all social media while touring. :shock: :roll:

Welcome back Tater..Hope you enjoyed your travels.

Thanks.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Neal on IG -

nealschon - 2of the major reasons I decided so young at what I wanted to do with my life was 1. play Guitar because I love it an 2. because I figured out that I could Never be Run or controlled by Anyone else but myself. So this is the reason you put yourself Completely in it to create a safety Zone where Nobody can intrude or take advantage of all the endless hard work it took and Takes to do what we and I do.
No one will ever take my prize or conquer and divide. #nealschonjourneyfounder 1972-Eternity 1.#Journey 2.#lookintothefuture 3.#next 4.#infinity 5.#evolution 6.#departures 7.#captured 8#dreamafterdream 9.#escape 10.#frontiers 11.raisedonradio 12.#trialbyfire 13.#arrival 14.#generations 15.#red13 16.#revelation 17.#everymansjourney 18.#eclipse and the future is in Gods Hands - I won’t be manipulated by anyone and I also won’t be SLAVE to anyone. This is where I will CONTINUE TO STAND AND WILL NOT BE CONFORMED BY ANYONE. The House is being Cleaned and flushed out. KARMA will take place and new air to breath..... Neal Schon My Journey and life story will come next year with release of #Universe and much more to follow @nealschon @nealandmichaeleschon @ladym
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Have a Read All - way more to come ... My BOOK will be released Next year with my album UNIVERSE

I’m now being told that I’m not allowed to hire my own private detail officers tomorrow. Ok.....
7:55 PM - 10 Aug 2018

Hello Dear Friends as we start the 3rd leg of our tour. If anyone seeing anything disturbing with security on my side of the stage - your Right plz - take out cell and video it.
Unfortunately some still do not know she’s my wife... thank u al
:roll:

Neal on IG -
July 29 2018

nealschon - Hello dear fans. Like to thank you for your continued support. God Bless My Wife Michaele It seems that after being out here continually for 9 years with me that’s she’s now been harassed for the 2nd time by Live Nation hired Security for shooting my solos... So after this short break when we come back out to continue the 3rd leg of our tour with Def Leppard plz if you see her shooting video for me if You see any strange activity Film it and send it to us.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Gideon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Typically, prodigious musical talent is indicative of prodigious intellect in general... but Neal seems to be an exception. Is it just me or has this motherfucker actually regressed cognitively?
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Gideon wrote:Typically, prodigious musical talent is indicative of prodigious intellect in general... but Neal seems to be an exception. Is it just me or has this motherfucker actually regressed cognitively?

Yea, its bad. If the rest of the guys truly want him out, it's probably so they can send his ass to rehab. He sounds insane.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:17 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Gideon wrote:Typically, prodigious musical talent is indicative of prodigious intellect in general... but Neal seems to be an exception. Is it just me or has this motherfucker actually regressed cognitively?

Yea, its bad. If the rest of the guys truly want him out, it's probably so they can send his ass to rehab. He sounds insane.

Well put.
Do you also regret "getting to know" these ass clowns?
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 am

Gideon wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Well put.
Do you also regret "getting to know" these ass clowns?

I think social media has its pros and cons. Augeri and Deen seems like grounded guys. Cain, bible thumping aside, is ok. Neal's tweet storms are just the incomprehensible coke-fueled rantings of an egomaniac.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 am

Back off their break tonight at Fenway. Heres hoping they bring in a couple songs to the rotation. Glad they stuck with Liberty.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:12 am

Wow two weeks off but same ol set list with nothing post 1986.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Jana » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am

Neal really is off his rocker. :shock: He is getting more and more out of control. I think he's back on drugs and/or alcohol also.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Who hires the concert photogs :?:
I would think he would be more worried about the bad sound,
even Arnel apologized for that.

I hired my own photographers as All pictures I’d seen that were being used basically sucked and did not even look like me.... thanks N
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

An arena-rock triple play from Journey, Def Leppard, and Cheap Trick

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/0 ... K/amp.html

- read full article
By Terence Cawley Globe Correspondent / August 12, 2018

After all that, Journey’s set couldn’t help but feel a bit anticlimactic. “New” singer Arnel Pineda (he joined in 2007) certainly tried his best, jumping and spinning around with the exuberance of someone who still can’t believe he gets to sing in his favorite band. Filling Steve Perry’s shoes is no small feat, but Pineda nailed the soaring, anthemic melodies that elevated “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” and “Open Arms” above the corporate-rock competition.

Eventually, the generic uplift of Journey’s lesser material began to grate, like a particularly unconvincing motivational speaker. More irritating was how, seemingly every time the band started cooking, a lengthy, indulgent instrumental solo would thoroughly kill the momentum. Of course, whenever that happened, they could just pull an “Any Way You Want It” or “Wheel in the Sky” from their bag of hits and keep on truckin’.

After the confetti-cannon-punctuated grand finale of “Don’t Stop Believin’,” which is still one of our nation’s most beloved songs, whether you like it or not, the credits rolled (literally — Journey concerts have their own credits) on a long but ultimately satisfying night.

Was this Guy Really Even There ? The Real Fans Opinions are a Far Cry from this Heap ... Journalism at its worst. Snarky Crap Get the Wax Out https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/0 ... K/amp.html
12 Aug 2018
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 pm

OFF TOPIC A BIT -

At Fenway, Billy Joel comes out swinging

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/0 ... %3Atwitter

… Early in the night, Joel paid homage to local rock history with a half-cover of Boston’s “More Than a Feeling,” but the real tribute came when Peter Wolf (who had just opened for Jimmy Buffett at Fenway the night before) came out to do one of his hits with the J. Geils Band, “Centerfold.” Two songs later, Joel brought out another guest who’d be playing Fenway this weekend: Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott, who sang “Pour Some Sugar on Me.” Both frontmen brought a welcome shot of high-energy showmanship to their numbers, and Joel matched their energy on his own with a hard-rocking “Sometimes a Fantasy” and the Broadway-ready pizazz of “Only the Good Die Young.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3-1ILzaHCI
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Journey takes 35,000 back to the future at Fenway Park

By Jay Miller / For The Patriot Ledger / Aug 12, 2018

http://www.patriotledger.com/entertainm ... ate=ampart

- read fuill article

It was Back to the Future at Fenway Park Saturday night, as three of the 1980s' most beloved rock 'n' roll bands filled the venerable ballpark with 35,000 or so giddy fans. Marty McFly was not sighted, but pretty much everyone else who was anyone on the rock charts in the '80s was on hand.

The official lineup featured co-headliners Journey and Def Leppard, with special guests Cheap Trick, and if that seems like an odd trio in theory, in practice it made for a fairly seamless night of rock and pop. Journey has that seemingly endless songbook of pop hits, and if some might criticize them for being too commercial, there's no denying the lasting appeal, and infectious quality of those tunes.

Def Leppard has an image of being a more metal type of harder rocking outfit, but their 90 minute set displayed the enduring pop songcraft behind their biggest hits too, so that there really was a lot of simpatico sounds between the two headliners.

Cheap Trick was probably the edgiest and most raw of the three rock bands, as well as the oldest, but if there's any foursome that enjoys playing rock 'n' roll more than the Tricksters, we haven't heard them.

Saturday night's crowd was probably skewed towards that demographic that had its rockin' heyday in the 1980s, but it was also impressively comprised of all ages. In front of us was a forty-something mother and her teenage daughter, both singing along to practically every Journey song. Next to us were a couple of Berklee College of Music students, and the female guitarist had brought her instrument with her, and had a backstage pass to get it signed by Def Leppard's Phil Collen. And despite their 5:30 p.m. set time, Cheap Trick's hour on stage came before better than 20,000 of the fans, who'd obviously showed up early just for that.

Journey, from its origins circa 1973, has always been based around the talents of guitarist Neal Schon, but the lineup has had some major changes over the years. Steve Perry, the band's vocalist in the days of their greatest successes, left the band in :shock: 1991 and hasn't been back.

In 2007, Journey auditioned several new singers, and chose Filipino vocalist Arnel Pineda. More to the point for local fans, drummer Steve Smith of Whitman--a Berklee College alumnus--took over the drum chair in 1978, and although he's taken time off to devote to his jazz group Vital Information, he's been back since 2016. Pianist Jonathan Cain and bassist Ross Valory aren't original members, but have also been with Journey so long most fans think of them as the main guys at their slots.

Journey's first few songs didn't seem to catch fire, but by "Stone in Love" they were firing on all cylinders, as Pineda had a volunteer chorus of 35,000 singing along. Schon's constant smile showed how much he was digging the scene, and his fiery leads made "be Godd to Yourself" another raucous delight. Schon, 64, noted that the next song had been just the second one he'd ever written with Perry, with their San Francisco Bay area inspiring much of it, and Pineda sang that power ballad, "Lights," with seemingly every one of the spine-tingling notes Perry had hit way back when.

Cain played a marvelously melodic piano overture, with subtle jazz dynamics, before it resolved into a bluesy intro to "Who's Crying Now?," which might have been the best vocal of the night for Pineda, "the kid" of the group who is, unbelievably, now 50. Pineda also shone on the sweeping ballad "Open Arms," which also came with a sweet piano intro, and tasty accents from Schon's guitar--not to mention that stadium-full of extra singers.

The relatively jazzy song "La Di Da" :lol: seemed like mainly an excuse for a Smith drum showcase, and, behind his signature model Sonor kit, his image enlarged on the video screens on either side, overhead, and behind the stage, Smith certainly delivered. Smith's solo was a playful, polyrhythmic romp, which he topped off by playing snare drum rolls with one stick, as the other one "accidentally" rolled free, alternating stick-on-snare with barehanded strikes, and then an impressive array of stick-twirling stunts without losing the beat. As it all came to a climax and the band joined back in, Smith leaned back and punctuated it all by striking the huge gong (a Zildjian model--hello Norwell) behind him, prompting a huge ovation.

The surging energy of "Anyway You Want It" fired up a sprint through the homestretch, with a blazing Schon solo marking "Liberty," and then accelerating tempos making one of the band's oldest hits, "Wheel in the Sky," burst out with new life. Cain noted that he'd penned "Faithfully" to reflect the way the musicians and their crew had to be gone from home and family for long stretches, but never stopped being homesick, and that 1983 ballad had the whole place swinging and swaying, as Schon and Cain played off each other with aplomb. Of course, the night had to end with a spirited reading of "Don't Stop Believin'" and no doubt the throng of fans walked out believing these songs will never stop being a part of their own history.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Gideon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 am

https://twitter.com/NealSchonMusic/stat ... 5357054977

^ TNC's coke theory is looking more and more plausible every goddamn day. :roll: :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Journey