Got My Traces Signed CD & Items Today

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Got My Traces Signed CD & Items Today

Postby cinkidd » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:28 am

Mail-lady just delivered all my new Traces items. I now have my first Steve Perry autograph. I'm listening to the album now. I will come back later and give a review, but so far the album sounds GREAT!

Rich the Delivered Guy
Last edited by cinkidd on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
cinkidd
45 RPM

Re: Got My Traces Signed CD & Items Today

Postby Carrington » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am

Just finished listening to the deluxe version, very good stuff!
Carrington
Ol' 78

Postby LazzMan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:14 am

Carrington wrote:Just finished listening to the deluxe version, very good stuff!

Me too. It is a very mature "mood" album. It is a record you can play with your adult friends, relaxing with a glass of wine, etc. NOT at all an album to rock out to. 'No Erasin'" and 'Sun Shines Gray' are the only mid-tempos...not rockers...the rest all ballads. But given Steve's place in life right now and his inspiration it makes sense.

That said, it is a very good album if you like ballads. The songs are quite good, vocals are great (not even close to 80's Steve Perry and a bit monotone but, still great). I was actually quite impressed with his vocal range at nearly 70. If he does tour he could easily deliver the songs off of FTLOSM and TBF without much, if any, down-tuning.

Lastly, listening to Traces gets me thinking about how great it would be for Steve and Neal to collaborate again. Not Journey...that music stands on its own. Maybe a Blues album? A couple of new Perry/Schon/Rollie songs. How great could that be?? With them the total has always been greater than the sum of its parts and I'd be curious to see if that magic is still there. Not likely but, who knows?
LazzMan
45 RPM

Postby Sighlence » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 am

Sun Shines Gray - What's the verdict??? It really caught my ear in the "Making of" video. Journey sound for reeeeeal.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby perryswoman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 am

Got mine too!! It is so awesome! I can not listen to standing in the rain without balling though lol I think he sounds absolutely awesome and I just pray I get to see him live. I waited for this day for a long time but I knew it would come eventually. What a Gift to us the fans!
Come back Steve Perry!!
perryswoman
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

Sighlence wrote:Sun Shines Gray - What's the verdict??? It really caught my ear in the "Making of" video. Journey sound for reeeeeal.

Love it! It's one of the highlights on the album.

I am really enjoying this album. Have listened to it at least three times all the way through. Here's my thoughts on some of the highlights:

1. We’re Still Here- The first time I heard it, I really enjoyed this tune. Love the meaning, great chorus, and showcases Perry’s voice well. I play this one at least once a day. Can’t believe this one didn’t chart on Adult Contemporary.
2. Most of All- Great ballad, sad, but its good. I think so for its my favorite ballad.
3. In the Rain- Another great ballad.
4. Sun Shines Grey- Really liking this one! Love the tempo and it’s nice to hear a more upbeat song. I think this will be one of my favorites. The song is great from start to finish. Easily could have been released as a single.
5. Easy to Love- Nice upbeat song, great tempo. Reminds me of the Street Talk vibe.
6. We Fly- I really dig this one as well. I know it’s a ballad, but haunting feel to it. This one might have to grow on people.

Bonus Tracks
October in New York-This is an interesting one. I like it. It almost sounds as if this should be the title song in a movie. Very reminiscent of something you would hear from the crooners like Bing Crosby or Sinatra. Steve does a good job on this.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Very Cool!

Had to listen to Sun Shines Gray (caved before hoping to buy the actually CD at Target),
Exceeded all expectations.
His Voice and the Guitar dominate, John 5 knocks this out the park.
Put this on Trial By Fire and you would never know it was Perry solo. Only other songs I could say this for were unreleased and You Better Wait and Anyway.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

scarab wrote:Very Cool!

Had to listen to Sun Shines Gray (caved before hoping to buy the actually CD at Target),
Exceeded all expectations.
His Voice and the Guitar dominate, John 5 knocks this out the park.
Put this on Trial By Fire and you would never know it was Perry solo. Only other songs I could say this for were unreleased and You Better Wait and Anyway.

Yeah, i have listened to it about five times now. I just knew it was going to be good after i heard the teaser. Sounds straight off the TBF album, and then some! This is sooooo Journey. It gets a little "Angelic" in the chorus towards the end. I can't tell if that is him?
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby kidlatham » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:10 am

Is anyone else having trouble getting the deluxe download? I keep getting this message:
Too many requests
Sorry, this link has been automatically turned off for now. Learn more about traffic limits.
kidlatham
Radio Waves

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:30 am

I don't know about the digital download, but I still haven't gotten any confirmation on my Deluxe LP. It should have been shipped.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 am

Bought it from Target today. Got the 5 extra songs on the CD.

A few observations: Most of the songs IMO are melancholy 'meh'. It's great to hear that voice again, but I'll have to let it play through a few times to 'get' some of them, I think.

Big snafu, IMO: The CD apparently doesn't have the track info data on it. The radio in my vehicle only says "Track 1, Track 2,", etc. No title or anything at all. My truck's a 2015 so it's not because it's too old. It reads everything else I put in it.
Wonder if that's a widespread deal or not.

Glad to hear Perry again. But there's nothing on here that's even close to his early solo work, IMO. I kind of expected that at his age, after the long layoff and given the nature of some of his songwriting's subject matter. He's said he now has a fire to write even more....if he does, I hope he comes back with more songs like Erasin, No More Cryin and Sun Shines Gray.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 am

I got the Target version this morning and played it start to finish. It is definitely ballad heavy, but we knew it would be. I think he sounds amazing. I think these are some of his best songs. This CD will get lots and lots of spins. I'm very grateful for it.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Sighlence » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 am

Rick wrote: I think he sounds amazing. I think these are some of his best songs. I'm very grateful for it.

Same here. Ballad heavy? Sure is, but there is some quality material here. There are about six songs that i really like, which is a pretty good hit rate. I have yet to hear the bonus songs (CD is set to be delivered tomorrow). The MP3's don't do the songs justice unless i put the buds in.

On a side note - the signed posters were damaged in shipping:

Thank you for your order of the 48”x27” poster, edition of 200, signed and numbered by Steve Perry.

Unfortunately, we have bad news to report – the posters were severely damaged during the shipment to the warehouse. While we took a bunch of steps to keep this from happening (including custom manufactured boxes), package handling issues still got the best of us.

We are very sorry, but the only way to resolve this is to try again. We want you to be thrilled with the poster.

We’ve re-ordered the posters, and we will coordinate a time for Steve to sign following his current promotional tour.

The NEW posters will likely be ready to ship on MONDAY, October 22, but we will follow-up again with a confirmed date.

We’ll make this right. Thank you again for your support of Steve Perry. Keep an eye out Friday, October 5, for your Traces deluxe album download

Thanks,
Customer Service
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 am

jrny84 wrote:I don't know about the digital download, but I still haven't gotten any confirmation on my Deluxe LP. It should have been shipped.

Me neither...no confirmation yet. I'm trying not to get impatient, but I want to hear those 5 bonus tracks :(
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

perryfan61 wrote:
jrny84 wrote:I don't know about the digital download, but I still haven't gotten any confirmation on my Deluxe LP. It should have been shipped.

Me neither...no confirmation yet. I'm trying not to get impatient, but I want to hear those 5 bonus tracks :(

I just received an email from them. There is a delay in the shipment for vinyl and it will not be shipped until early next week. I'll just go to Walmart and get the Vinyl with the poster. Save the pre-ordered one for a collectible.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:19 pm

That's rather upsetting. They have had weeks to get this figured out.

Oh well, I will just have to see if I can find one closer to home. Thanks for the update, I still haven't heard anything from them.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 am

Picked up the +5 last night. Sounds great on my BOSE speakers in my car.
Heard most of the 10 on youtube and they sound better on good speakers.
First listen through I heard so much more in the background I didnt pick up before.

Someone said Angel Eyes should have been on the 10 song CD, and they were right. Its a really good song. I wouldnt call this a ballad. Blue Jays Fly is basically a spoken word but interesting that he sings and plays all instruments.

So far all the "bonus" songs are really good and not filler I think 4/5 were written by Perry alone but 1 the Orchestra heavy October in NY was written (music) by someone else. He wrote the lyrcis.
And yeah, its different from any Perry Song I have ever heard.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby annpea » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 am

I got mines on the first of October. it's great I popped it into my computer opened my blinds and watched the sunshine on the lake while I listened to the voice do his thing. all I can say is " You did good Stevie" :D
Dancing between the raindrops.
annpea
Cassette Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:12 am

scarab wrote:Picked up the +5 last night. Sounds great on my BOSE speakers in my car.
Heard most of the 10 on youtube and they sound better on good speakers.
First listen through I heard so much more in the background I didnt pick up before.

Someone said Angel Eyes should have been on the 10 song CD, and they were right. Its a really good song. I wouldnt call this a ballad. Blue Jays Fly is basically a spoken word but interesting that he sings and plays all instruments.

So far all the "bonus" songs are really good and not filler I think 4/5 were written by Perry alone but 1 the Orchestra heavy October in NY was written (music) by someone else. He wrote the lyrics.
And yeah, its different from any Perry Song I have ever heard.

I bought the signed CD set, and after hearing all this MUSIC I can say I'm pretty blown away.
I LOVE Journey, but I am so very glad that this CD is very UN Journey like.
This is music made for people in our age range, whose dads were spinning Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole and for us, growing up on Motown.
I often tell kids today that people in our age range can actually judge singers because growing up, we heard our dads play them on their 1960s Stereo's.

In my opinion, "October in New York" is Steve channeling Frank Sinatra dealing with loss.
I can easily hear him sing this song on my dads turntable.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Sighlence » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm

jrny84 wrote:
Sighlence wrote:Sun Shines Gray - What's the verdict??? It really caught my ear in the "Making of" video. Journey sound for reeeeeal.

Bonus Tracks
October in New York-This is an interesting one. I like it. It almost sounds as if this should be the title song in a movie. Very reminiscent of something you would hear from the crooners like Bing Crosby or Sinatra. Steve does a good job on this.

SSG is a great tune just as i suspected. My favorite Bonus Track is ‘Could We Be Somethin’ Again’. It gets me tapping my fingers and bopping my head. Makes me want to get up and dance!
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:45 am

Sighlence wrote:
jrny84 wrote:

Bonus Tracks

SSG is a great tune just as i suspected. My favorite Bonus Track is ‘Could We Be Somethin’ Again’. It gets me tapping my fingers and bopping my head. Makes me want to get up and dance!

You mean makes you wanna get up and do the ya-ya ? lol.....

Jokes aside, its a great song. Love it. It should be in the main 10. Kind of like When You're In Love (For the first time), in spirit....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Sighlence » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 am

r@y wrote:

You got it! :lol:
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 am

Sighlence wrote:
r@y wrote:

You got it! :lol:

:lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:44 am

Just got mine today. At first i didn't think mine was signed because i was expecting it on the LP itself, then Second City Prints asked me to look on the gatefold jacket and presto..... there it was. Kind of blended in because it looks like he was running out of ink. :lol:

Now i gotta figure out how to get it framed with the LP. I ordered a second deluxe 2xLP to actually listen to.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 am

Sighlence wrote:

Just got mine today. At first i didn't think mine was signed because i was expecting it on the LP itself, then Second City Prints asked me to look on the gatefold jacket and presto..... there it was. Kind of blended in because it looks like he was running out of ink. :lol:

Now i gotta figure out how to get it framed with the LP. I ordered a second deluxe 2xLP to actually listen to.

Awesome! I got my LP yesterday. Really glad I did. Almost get lost in it looking at the cool artwork. I may order another one just to keep for memorabilia purposes.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 am

jrny84 wrote:
Sighlence wrote:

Awesome! I got my LP yesterday. Really glad I did. Almost get lost in it looking at the cool artwork. I may order another one just to keep for memorabilia purposes.

I really like the White Marble. I have the Green Tree Marble if anyone wants to trade for their Ocean Blue or Fire color.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby StoneCold » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am

scarab wrote: ...

Someone said Angel Eyes should have been on the 10 song CD, and they were right. Its a really good song.

Absolutely, my first thought hearing it. I like it more than Sun Shines Gray. Glad I picked up the extra tracks version.

And at the risk of stirring the pot , the beginning of "Why Me" reminds me of ...

Hugo - "Everytime You Walk Away" from the Fire In The Night album.

Couldn't find a link for it but everytime "Why Me" starts, I laugh and think Steve's trying to sound like Hugo.
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm

jrny84 wrote:
Sighlence wrote:

Finally got mine today, I got the yellow marble....very nice. Looks good on the turn table too :D :D :D
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby kidlatham » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pm

What album is "Why Me" on????? It's not on my deluxe Traces cd.
kidlatham
Radio Waves

Return to Steve Perry