Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby Scarab Pilot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:49 am

Mine is enroute per UPS! YAY!
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby JourneyLFN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:04 am

For those of you who have received it, what do you think?
JourneyLFN
Ol' 78

Postby Sighlence » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am

Eeesh, i ordered a ton of stuff and haven’t heard a peep. On top of that, Target is giving me an estimate of Oct 8 - 11th for the CD.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby jrny84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 am

Received my signed CD bundle set! Plan on listening to it later.

I also ordered an LP, but haven't received that yet.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 am

"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby brywool » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Rolling Stone review of Traces

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... es-732901/

pretty much what you'd expect from Rolling Stone when dealing with a Journey-related release. :roll:
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tedpruitt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 am

jrny84 wrote:Received my signed CD bundle set! Plan on listening to it later.

I also ordered an LP, but haven't received that yet.

Send an email to Second City Prints with your order number. They didn't send me any tracking either, but they got back to me quickly with a tracking number and mine is being delivered today!
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm

My favorite tune is "You Belong To Me". "In The Rain" is also a standout.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm

I've yet to hear a single song from Perry's new album. For those of you who have heard it, style-wise, does it sound like a Steve Perry solo album as we've known them in the past? Or is it a very different style of music?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby SoonerThunder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Listening to it on Spotify right now
SoonerThunder
Ol' 78

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 pm

I want to love this album as much as anyone. But this is really bland so far. It being Perry's voice helps me enjoy it a lot more and no doubt I'll be playing it over and over again until i love it but it just doesn't grab me.

The lyrics are cliche more than usual.

I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm disappointed because I got yo a point where I wasn't expecting to ever hear anything new but this doesn't stand up to any other Perry solo album or any post Perry Journey album

Love No Erasin, like we're still here and will end up loving a couple of the ballads probsbly

Will still be buying tickets to America when he announces a few shows
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:13 am

I thought by pre-ordering it I would get it before the retail stores. Since it has yet to arrive, I just picked it up at Target this morning. Loving every second of it so far....
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:44 am

Huge sequencing error by not including Angel Eyes on the regular version. One of the best songs on the album. Could We Be Something Again also should have been included on the regular version. Both of these tunes would have broken up some of the monotony of the constant ballads. In its current form, I would say the best tracks are: Sun Shines Gray and Most Of All. But as others have commented, the album is mostly a downer. It actually makes Strange Medicine look like Escape. And Strange Medicine barely rocked at all.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:21 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Huge sequencing error by not including Angel Eyes on the regular version. One of the best songs on the album. Could We Be Something Again also should have been included on the regular version. Both of these tunes would have broken up some of the monotony of the constant ballads. In its current form, I would say the best tracks are: Sun Shines Gray and Most Of All. But as others have commented, the album is mostly a downer. It actually makes Strange Medicine look like Escape. And Strange Medicine barely rocked at all.

Agreed about the two songs.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:22 pm

itunes Chart positions

#5 United States
#11 Canada
#23 United Kingdom
#32 Germany
#43 Italy
#30 Spain
#23 Australia
#29 Brazil
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I've yet to hear a single song from Perry's new album. For those of you who have heard it, style-wise, does it sound like a Steve Perry solo album as we've known them in the past? Or is it a very different style of music?

I would say mostly different. There's quite a few "easy listening" songs. Lots of melancholy. Some ethereal, almost "New Age"-sounding songs. Few upbeat rockers/poppy types.

I mentioned this in the SP forum, but my CD had a big issue: My player in my truck doesn't read the tracks....titles, info, name of the disc. All it says is "Track 1", "Track 2", etc. Someone made a big boo-boo, I believe. I will bring it in the house and see if it has any disc info in my computer to see if it's just my truck...but my truck is a 2015 so not like it's some ancient tech in there.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby jrny84 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I've yet to hear a single song from Perry's new album. For those of you who have heard it, style-wise, does it sound like a Steve Perry solo album as we've known them in the past? Or is it a very different style of music?

I would say mostly different. There's quite a few "easy listening" songs. Lots of melancholy. Some ethereal, almost "New Age"-sounding songs. Few upbeat rockers/poppy types.

I mentioned this in the SP forum, but my CD had a big issue: My player in my truck doesn't read the tracks....titles, info, name of the disc. All it says is "Track 1", "Track 2", etc. Someone made a big boo-boo, I believe. I will bring it in the house and see if it has any disc info in my computer to see if it's just my truck...but my truck is a 2015 so not like it's some ancient tech in there.

My Acura says the same thing. Just lists the track #'s and no title of songs or album.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:22 am

Same thing here.
Was lucky enough to get the 2nd to last one at Target.
Angel Eyes is great! A very 60s Motownish upbeat song.

Oh and I need to buy the LP cause I cant read the type size of the lyrics and liner notes. : :cry:

loaded it on my Laptop and it does list song names and times.

Very Odd thing it lists the Album as Traces, Steve Perry Indy/Alternative 2017 :shock:
Maybe it was supposed to be released last year and delayed to health issues.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 am

Such a shame that Angel Eyes is not on the regular release. What a mistake!
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Such a shame that Angel Eyes is not on the regular release. What a mistake!

Agree completely and glad the Target 3 miles away had the CD with bonus tracks, been ages since I have been inside a Target,
and amazed how VERY sparse the music section was, guess I dont blame them.

Dont know how many CD's were stocked but they had 5 rows all empty cept for 2 in only row.

Of all the songs Angel Eyes is the song I have played 1/2 dozen or more times. (Sun Shines Gray is great too but i cheated and listened to this song so much Fri Morning on youtube)

There is 2-3 songs I need to listen in moderation as they are way to sad, but really good. I have not teared up to any song on a first listen...In the Rain.

Damn Perry is gonna make me go Prozac. :shock: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9W_E4Ik564
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Sighlence » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:27 pm

scarab wrote:loaded it on my Laptop and it does list song names and times.

Mine (Bonus track CD) just lists Track #.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:52 pm

My CD was delivered a day late on Saturday. I haven't listened to all the bonus songs yet, but so far the song that stands out to me is Easy To Love! That song has the most catchy lyrics. If there were a radio station that played new songs from classic rock, that song would be a major hit in my humble opinion.

I need to listen to the songs a lot more to be sure, but so far this album sounds like a Sam Cooke album to me as far as style. If you expect Metallica, you will be sadly disappointed. If you expect Sam Cooke, you will treasure this for the rest of your life.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Just listened to the whole record for the 1st time. It's definitely a mood album ... probably not for the pop music fan.
Agree with TNC .. the 2 bonus tracks (Angel Eyes and CWBSA) are really good, should be in the main group replace some depressing songs.
I realize it's carthartic for SP to sing and express his sorrow and loss...But, wow, some of the tearjerker songs ... sad sad sad. For us sensitive souls, our hearts go out for him.
I think SP did a pretty good job, though, with the overall sequence of tracks ... leading off with all the strong songs ...kind of like Side A and Side B in an album.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Man, I think we’re all pleasantly surprised SP still sounds so good. Bit more monotone, raspier, than in his heyday … but he sang 15 songs! And, right, each song is delivered a little differently.

Imagine all these years, people were saying his voice was shot. And we were hoping, begging, to get just “1" new song. We got 15!

There are too many sad songs, though. By the time you get through the last one, Blue Jays Fly (a real tearjerker), you want to cry your heart out.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 am

annie89509 wrote:the 2 bonus tracks (Angel Eyes and CWBSA) are really good, should be in the main group replace some depressing songs.

Definitely.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:54 am

Doesn't anyone love We Fly ?

Just love the tone and mood of the song.....

And....it was like Perry was so in a hurry to include it in the record, he forgot the band.....

I can just hear a killer rhythm section and guitar solo in the 2nd part of that song.....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby jrny84 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:02 am

r@y wrote:Doesn't anyone love We Fly ?

Just love the tone and mood of the song.....

And....it was like Perry was so in a hurry to include it in the record, he forgot the band.....

I can just hear a killer rhythm section and guitar solo in the 2nd part of that song.....

I sure do. Towards the middle to end it has this heavenly feel to it. Like alot of his songs, takes you to another place.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Super sad album. If yer coming into it knowing the context of the whole thing... wow. Actually choked me up in spots on the first spin. If yer not aware, then it might seem like a pretty down and dull album. That being said, it's so good to hear him again. I was a doubter and figured he'd never do anything again after he talked for years of an 'imminent release'. Glad to hear new stuff from him. Absolutely love 'Sun Shines Gray'. Great song that could stand alongside any Journey song. With the harmonies all being layered with his voice, it sounds like it could've come from Raised on Radio. I wish there were more songs on the album like it. But it's not that kind of album. 'We're Still Here' is also a favorite. Love the chorus. 'October in New York' is also so good. To hear Steve Perry with real stings and that kind of jazz thing... Jesus, HE should've been the American Songbook guy (no offense to Rod fans). An album of Perry singing with this kind of band would be amazing. I wanna hear him rock too, but man, that voice is so damned 'regal' and to hear it with a string section and a standup bass... wow. The only one I'm not really a fan of is 'Call On Me'. Too much like 'Baby I'm Leaving You' (which I wasn't a fan of) from Trial By Fire. I don't think it beats FTLOSM or ST, but it's still a really good album and I'm glad he's back. Hope he doesn't vanish again.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey