Journey Frontman's Highest Solo Album Chart Rankings Yet

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 am

October 15, 2018

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... ney-frontm

STEVE PERRY's first album in nearly a quarter century has landed on the charts with the highest debut ranking in his solo career. "TRACES" is the former JOURNEY frontman's first Top 10 solo debut, making its bow on BILLBOARD's Top 200 Albums chart at number 6, on the Digital Album Chart at number 4, and on the Current Rock Album Chart at number 2. The album was released on FANTASY RECORDS; His previous solo studio albums were "FOR THE LOVE OF STRANGE MEDICINE" (number 15 in 1994) and "STREET TALK" (number 12 in 1984).

PERRY is also making chart noise with his best solo album ranking in the UK, GERMANY, CANADA (number 7 on the Current Albums chart), and JAPAN (topping the International Chart).

PERRY said, “All I was hoping for was someone to listen to the emotional expression of these new songs after my years of absence.... This has been beyond my wildest dreams, and I thank everyone so very much.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Journey Frontman's Highest Solo Album Chart Rankings Yet

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 am

Not too shabby!! :D :D :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 am

perryfan61 wrote:Not too shabby!! :D :D :D
:D
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Good stuff. He can stand alone. :)
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 am

Wow, the promotion paid off.
Have a feeling though he will be taking a (well deserved) soon.
Not sure what that would do with sales.

Just really hope we get to hear these songs sung live.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I wonder what the actual numbers are compared to the previous albums. With the distribution of music so different now compared to a quarter century ago, it's hard for me to really know what successful is in this discussion.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 pm

tj wrote:I wonder what the actual numbers are compared to the previous albums. With the distribution of music so different now compared to a quarter century ago, it's hard for me to really know what successful is in this discussion.

So wouldn't that then be like comparing apples to oranges :?:
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 pm

tater1977 wrote:
tj wrote:I wonder what the actual numbers are compared to the previous albums. With the distribution of music so different now compared to a quarter century ago, it's hard for me to really know what successful is in this discussion.

So wouldn't that then be like comparing apples to oranges :?:

Yeah, I guess so. So, then, I guess it doesn't make the article title inaccurate, perhaps just misleading?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:35 am

I'm gonna get ripped but here it goes. First off I am very very happy that Steve is back. IMO he's the best front man EVER in the history of rock and roll. His voice is the best ever. I truly mean that. Ive seen Journey on the Escape tour twice, and Steve solo on his For The Love of Strange Medicine tour. Like Styx and Dream Theater I own every Journey and Steve Perry album that's ever been released.

His story is gripping and inspiring at the same time. Unlike some of you his voice sounds the same to me as it did in his prime. That's unbelievable considering he's 70. But here is where I differ, the material for the most part is slow and tedious. Most of the songs almost run together and sound the same. Foolish Heart damn near would be a rocker on this disc.

I feel his top overall song which is excellent is No More Cryin it has a Go Away vibe that I like. Were Still Here is also very good. You Belong To Me and Sun Shines Gray are decent but the rest of the songs are not very good. His voice is great but not the songs.

Nothing on Traces compares to: Oh Sherrie, Foolish Heart, Go Away, She's Mine, Strung Out, You Better Wait, For The Love Of Strange Medicine, Tuesday Heartache, Somewhere Theres Hope or Anyway. There was a variety in these songs that made the entire albums flow. I wish I could find that flow on Traces but its just not there at all.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby tater1977 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 am

yogi wrote:I'm gonna get ripped but here it goes. First off I am very very happy that Steve is back. IMO he's the best front man EVER in the history of rock and roll. His voice is the best ever. I truly mean that. Ive seen Journey on the Escape tour twice, and Steve solo on his For The Love of Strange Medicine tour. Like Styx and Dream Theater I own every Journey and Steve Perry album that's ever been released.

His story is gripping and inspiring at the same time. Unlike some of you his voice sounds the same to me as it did in his prime. That's unbelievable considering he's 70. But here is where I differ, the material for the most part is slow and tedious. Most of the songs almost run together and sound the same. Foolish Heart damn near would be a rocker on this disc.

I feel his top overall song which is excellent is No More Cryin it has a Go Away vibe that I like. Were Still Here is also very good. You Belong To Me and Sun Shines Gray are decent but the rest of the songs are not very good. His voice is great but not the songs.

Nothing on Traces compares to: Oh Sherrie, Foolish Heart, Go Away, She's Mine, Strung Out, You Better Wait, For The Love Of Strange Medicine, Tuesday Heartache, Somewhere Theres Hope or Anyway. There was a variety in these songs that made the entire albums flow. I wish I could find that flow on Traces but its just not there at all.

Nah can't rip into you. Some are gonna love it, like it or hate it.
What we have to realize, is that these songs came from a different time and
place in his life, that he's lived.
I can't judge his past LP's against this one and say oh that one's
weaker/better than 'Oh Sherrie' or 'Foolish Heart'. That would just be weird for me.
I have to be able to separate THEN and NOW.
There are some strong songs on here for me and a few well not so strong. :D
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 am

Looks like sales really dropped off, not even in the top 20 anymore:

YOUR TOP 20 IS BORN UNDER A BRAD SIGN
The Gaga-Bradley A Star Is Born ST will repeat at #1. UMG could have the top six titles this week and eight of the Top 10.

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (Interscope) 125-135k Total Activity, 79-84k Albums
*Quavo (QC/Motown/Capitol) 95-105k, 6-7k
Lil Wayne (Young Money) 90-95k, 9-11k
Lil Baby & Gunna (QC/Motown/Capitol) 64-69k, 1-2k
*Ella Mai (10 Summers/Interscope) 54-59k, 14-16k
Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 51-56k, 2-3k
Twenty One Pilots (Fueled By Ramen) 50-55k, 28-32k
Travis Scott (Cactus Jack/Grand Hustle/Epic) 43-47k, 2-3k
Post Malone (Republic) 41-45k, 3-4k
Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 34-37k, 9-11k
Juice WRLD (Grade A/Interscope) 29-32k, <1k
XXXTentacion (Bad Vibes Forever) 27-30k, 1-2k
Ariana Grande (Republic) 23-26k, 3-4k
Cardi B (Atlantic) 22-25k, <1k
Nicki Minaj (YMCMB/Republic) 22-25k, 2-3k
Kevin Gates (Atlantic) 22-25k, 1-2k
Luke Combs (River House/Columbia Nashville) 20-23k, 3-4k
The Greatest Showman (Atlantic) 19-22k, 9-11k
Eric Church (EMI Nashville) 18-20k, 12-14k
Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 18-20k, 3-4k

*Debuts
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:11 am

TOP ROCK ALBUMS
The week of October 20, 2018

https://www.billboard.com/charts/rock-albums

#2 Traces
Steve Perry
tater1977
Compact Disc

Return to Steve Perry