Toto ALL IN... what a disaster!

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto ALL IN... what a disaster!

Postby St.George » Sat May 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Hey guys...

Remember that lazy TOTO Box set that it was intended for ...well, TBH I keep wondering who was it intended for.

So far, there are no extra details about the box, no promos, no nothing... looks like nobody gives a f*ck about it. It was supposed to be on presale exclusively through their official website until April 10th. Well, it's May 12th and the box is still there, so it's pretty obvious it ain't selling. IMO this is because:

- It has zero interest for hardcore fans, since it's very pricey and it doesn't offer anything that they don't already have: no rare concerts, demos, early takes, documentaries, merch and whatnot...

- It has zero interest for normal fans, since it's very pricey and they're not going to spend that much in records that they already have. But on top of it all, the box comes in a stupid double CD+LP package, increasing unnecesarily their retail price

- It has zero interest for new fans/millenials since they're not going to spend 500$/420€ in a band they're still discovering. It's easier/cheaper to listen to them on Spotify or any other online platforms.

- Hell, not even the admins of some of their FB groups are going to buy this thing, basically for many of the reasons explained above.

So who's this box intended for? Who was the "brilliant" team that was in charge of it? It's a real pity that it came this way...
St.George
Ol' 78

Re: Toto ALL IN... what a disaster!

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun May 13, 2018 1:03 am

Personally, I'm waiting to buy many of the albums when they are sold individually.
I also think the title, "Old is New", sounds like it was cooked up by a Sony suit. Uninspired.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:54 am

A set of unreleased/vault/live material would've generated a lot more interest, I think.

The first seven albums are easily available on vinyl (and all sound really, really nice), so I'm not sure how much interest there is in reissued LP's of those. I'm sure a lot of fans are waiting for individual titles, to pick up the 90's stuff.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby artinis1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:21 am

Did they ever post what the track list will be for the live cd?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby artinis1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Will this be available on ITunes?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby St.George » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:50 am

The thing still is a disaster... :cry:

One month prior to the release and barely no news about the thing, what formats, what artwork, no promo stuff... Just NOTHING! :?

A pity!
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby artinis1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 am

You’re so right, it’s like a secret project
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 pm

St.George wrote:The thing still is a disaster... :cry:

One month prior to the release and barely no news about the thing, what formats, what artwork, no promo stuff... Just NOTHING! :?

A pity!

Give it a rest! You're a huge downer on all things Toto.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby St.George » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Andrew wrote:Give it a rest! You're a huge downer on all things Toto.

That is not true.

They're my fave band ever, believe it or not. I loved their XIV album and I was highly enthusiastic with it. You can check old posts from me here or the noticeboard. But I don't agree with everything they do. Luke hyped the fans about the 40th anninersary, especially about the box set with "lots of things for the fans". What has it become in the end? A lame ass box set with just a book and the discography in 2 formats (so that they could charge more for it), the eleventh reissue of the Paris concert (yawn!), an AUDIO excerp of a Japan concert that existed forever... And that's it! No demos, no early versions, no collectibles, no rare video concerts, no documentaries, NO ADDED VALUE... And all this for JUST 419€!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Is this the ultimate boxset Luke's been hyping about? I'm sorry but this is my opinion about it.

In my life I've just been critic with them in 2 occasions: The "Through the looking glass" album (which I still consider their only stain in their discography), and the boxed set, because it didn't match the expectations at all. I especially HATE the 2 formats thing: It's a lazy ass way of making more $$$. And it's something they've been doing quite a lot since the Live in Poland dvd deluxe, all over to XIV deluxe box set, Live in Montreaux deluxe box set... and now this!

In a nutshell: I LOVE THEIR MUSIC! I love the band! But I'm sorry... I don't agree with everything they do. And if you express disaproval in "their channels" or FB groups, no matter how polite you are, they ban you. So, in this sense, I'd like to thank you, Andrew, for letting me express myself, for the good and the bad. You might agree or not, but you NEVER deleted anything I posted.
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm

I only see you complaining here, so I'm not buying it.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby St.George » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Andrew wrote:I only see you complaining here, so I'm not buying it.

Ok, I'll do the job for you...

FACTS >>> search.php?author_id=209&sr=posts

Except for this topic, where else do you see me complaining?
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Penguinpc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:21 am

From the official website:

"A CD version of the All In box with just the albums will be made available later this year."

Does anyone know if this is still happening? We are getting pretty close to the end of the year.
Penguinpc
Radio Waves

Postby St.George » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am

Nobody knows f*cking anything... :x :(

Seriously, this has to be the shittiest launch by the band ever: it's been delayed, there's no info, there's no promo, there's no advance single... JUST NOTHING! Sorry for being that negative, but these are the facts... :?
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 pm

St.George wrote:Nobody knows f*cking anything... :x :(

Seriously, this has to be the shittiest launch by the band ever: it's been delayed, there's no info, there's no promo, there's no advance single... JUST NOTHING! Sorry for being that negative, but these are the facts... :?

Wow, another post from StG and another complaint! Who would have thought? Give it a rest dude.

There IS a single coming and there is PR coming. Why get pissed at things you don't know about? This is NOT your standard release - it was a core fans thing and if they choose to do anything else to promote it, then so be it. Right now they don't have to do a thing besides deliver to fans that preordered!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby St.George » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 am

Andrew wrote:Wow, another post from StG and another complaint! Who would have thought? Give it a rest dude.

There IS a single coming and there is PR coming. Why get pissed at things you don't know about? This is NOT your standard release - it was a core fans thing and if they choose to do anything else to promote it, then so be it. Right now they don't have to do a thing besides deliver to fans that preordered!

You're ABSOLUTELY right with the latter...

But again you're accusing me of something that is not certain, hence I've got to defend myself. I've been around for 16+ years in this board and the noticeboard and NEVER been told off or had the reputation of causing any troubles. I agreed on things, disagreed on others... nothing unusual. Furthermore, I think this TOTO messageboard is a place for core fans. In fact, I think this is an specific board for TOTO fans, if I am not mistaken. So as a fan, I think I can vent what I consider, as long as I don't disrespect anyone, which I never did. If all of us had the same way of thinking, this would be a newsreel rather than a message board. As I previously told you, I always liked the fact that this place was far more tolerant with different opinions. Everything was discussed and nothing was deleted, here. That's why I still visit it, every now and then. Anyway, if you want me to stop visiting it, that'll be fine for me...

With all respect, Andrew, I asked you where else did I have a complaining attitude? In fact, I've shown you my history of posts and you didn't say anything. Perhaps because your accusation was untrue. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm NOT happy at all with the way this is being marketed. And I don't have to be a "cum laude" in music industry to see what's (not) going on. It's just MY OPINION, that's it. I don't care what the people might think of me. I KNOW I am a big fan of theirs: I traveled many places to see them and paid my money to buy, not only their official albums and LPs, but different collectibles, deluxe editions, japanese editions, singles, tour programs, world magazines and many other rare stuff.

On the other hand, you said this box is something for core fans. Ok, let me ask you something: where's "the juice" here for the core fans? What does this box add to their collections? I can assure you I'm in touch with LOADS of core fans (some of them close to the band, though I won't name them) that are also NOT happy with the RIDICULOUS price of the box, with its content (or lack of), with the fact that it's marketed as a double format so that they can charge extra $$$ for no reason... many of these people expressed these opinions in some unofficial FB groups and they were deleted. In most of "their network" TOTO fans are not allowed to disagree, even though they do it politely. Some admins prefer not to say anything to not stir the pot or piss Luke off. Even I was banned from an unofficial FB group for criticizing this boxset, when I was always a fully supporter and a band enthusiast... WTF!??? As a hardcore fan, I just wanted to know if the box was going to be released in other formats, if the "Old is New" (which is all I care about this, as many other fans) was going to be released as a single CD or if the book could be bought separately. There was NEVER an official response, no matter how many fans wondered about it. You hinted some answers in the mr.com noticeboard, but always awaiting for official confirmation or further details. And in the end... NADA! That's why I'm complaining... Of course they don't owe anyone anything, but if this is for core fans, try to answer all their doubts about this release. That's it!

Anyway... f*ck this rant! This is not going to change my thoughts, nor yours. Only time will tell if this release was a right move or not and I think my position is quite clear!
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby ptgraphics » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

I keep looking for a track listing. If it's "All In" does it include the single edits and remixes of songs that were available as such on the CD singles and vinyl 45s? Does it include the long extended versions of songs like "Stranger In Town"? I know we will get the answer soon but it's odd that nothing has been mentioned yet. Regardless I am looking forward to the box set. I could not afford the real expensive box but plan or getting the CD version when released.
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 pm

ptgraphics wrote:I keep looking for a track listing. If it's "All In" does it include the single edits and remixes of songs that were available as such on the CD singles and vinyl 45s? Does it include the long extended versions of songs like "Stranger In Town"? I know we will get the answer soon but it's odd that nothing has been mentioned yet. Regardless I am looking forward to the box set. I could not afford the real expensive box but plan or getting the CD version when released.

No. Just regular album versions.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 am

At this point, I am more excited about "Old is New" or whatever the new album is called.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby LtVanish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:28 pm

I did a reverse mortgage on the house to go "All In" I figured I might as well get it. As I would probably end up buying all the albums anyways....again. I can't wait to hear all the remasters on these albums on both cd and vinyl. How many times will I buy these albums for crying out loud! :shock:
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby ptgraphics » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Andrew wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:I keep looking for a track listing. If it's "All In" does it include the single edits and remixes of songs that were available as such on the CD singles and vinyl 45s? Does it include the long extended versions of songs like "Stranger In Town"? I know we will get the answer soon but it's odd that nothing has been mentioned yet. Regardless I am looking forward to the box set. I could not afford the real expensive box but plan or getting the CD version when released.

No. Just regular album versions.

Figured as much but that's a bummer. Was really hoping for the proper albums to have extra tracks tacked on the end or a Disc 2 of the album with what I mentioned above.
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

LtVanish wrote:I did a reverse mortgage on the house to go "All In" I figured I might as well get it. As I would probably end up buying all the albums anyways....again. I can't wait to hear all the remasters on these albums on both cd and vinyl. How many times will I buy these albums for crying out loud! :shock:

You won't have to again. At this point it's looking like Old Is New will remain exclusive to the box set and the album remasters are not scheduled to be released individually.

I hope to have the set very soon so I can talk details and contents.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 am

Andrew wrote:At this point it's looking like Old Is New will remain exclusive to the box set...

So the new album won't have it's own separate release? That's crap.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby St.George » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:44 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Andrew wrote:At this point it's looking like Old Is New will remain exclusive to the box set...

So the new album won't have it's own separate release? That's crap.

I won't say anything else, otherwise I'll be moaning and complaining... :roll:
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Penguinpc » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 am

Andrew wrote:
LtVanish wrote:I did a reverse mortgage on the house to go "All In" I figured I might as well get it. As I would probably end up buying all the albums anyways....again. I can't wait to hear all the remasters on these albums on both cd and vinyl. How many times will I buy these albums for crying out loud! :shock:

You won't have to again. At this point it's looking like Old Is New will remain exclusive to the box set and the album remasters are not scheduled to be released individually.

I hope to have the set very soon so I can talk details and contents.

Andrew, do you know anything about the CD set? Like release date, cost, or what it has/doesn't have that the LP set has?

Thanks, man. :D
Penguinpc
Radio Waves

Postby Morten » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:52 am

Toto just posted on their official Facebook page that there will be no CD set. "No plans for a CD only version at this time."
Morten
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 am

Morten wrote:Toto just posted on their official Facebook page that there will be no CD set. "No plans for a CD only version at this time."

Yep, and "Old Is New" will not be available as its own release at this point. I can't imagine the band is happy about that. Wouldn't they want the new music to get as wide of a release as possible?
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:49 am

It’s not a new album. It’s a few new tracks with some old newly completed tracks.

It is something very cool for diehard long time fans buying this amazing box. As well as the Japan 1980 LP/CD and the Toto 4 5.1 mix and live DVD.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am

Andrew wrote:It’s not a new album. It’s a few new tracks with some old newly completed tracks.

In other words, an album of new unreleased material. Toto 14 also had "old new" tracks on it like Chinatown etc. As a fan, I should be happy that the new cd is prohibitively expensive? Can you relate to your readership anymore? I'm really bummed.

It is something very cool for diehard long time fans buying this amazing box. As well as the Japan 1980 LP/CD and the Toto 4 5.1 mix and live DVD.

Nobody's debating that. But the price point is very high.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby artinis1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:24 pm

What is the track list for Japan 80?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:58 am

"Also on 40 Trips are the new "Struck By Lightning and "Spanish Sea," one of five vintage unreleased tracks Toto found in its vaults as it prepared the box set (the other four will appear on the box and may be released with the four new songs as a standalone album later in the year)."

This is what I was hoping for. What an absolute bummer.

Andrew wrote:There IS a single coming and there is PR coming.

Maybe if the single does well "Old is New" will get a separate release. Sony is leaving money on the table.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Next

Return to Toto