NEW Old TOTO - Devil's Tower

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

NEW Old TOTO - Devil's Tower

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:59 am

"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: NEW Old TOTO - Devil's Tower

Postby St.George » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:41 am

This is fucking amazing!
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 am

Incredible track. Absolutely incredible. I thought they'd topped their game with XIV but this 'new old' shows that Toto know no limits to their progress.

Big shouts to Steve Porcaro and Joseph Williams here, as well as the collaborative effort of 'modern' Toto: Each new track seems to feature all four cor(e)porate members shining, and on Devil's Tower there is particularly Steve Porcaro spreading his genius all over it and Joe Williams sounding every bit as good as he did in the eighties. Seriously, how many bands of that era are delivering such tracks these days, or are even capable of doing it? That, and also changing their setlist around for fun, is truly unique.

Say what you want about that whole boxed set debacle, but I'd take this track and clutch if for the rest of my life even if that was all.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby r@y » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 am

I can see why this didn't make the cut back then. Totally out of place with the vibe of the tracks on IV. With the 'new' vocals and solo against the 'old' rhythm section, this makes for a very interesting track. Parts classic Toto, parts the new iteration from their XIV record. I enjoyed it.

I hope the remainder of the 'old' new tracks has at least one old guitar solo on it, similar to Spanish Sea.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 pm

r@y wrote:I can see why this didn't make the cut back then. Totally out of place with the vibe of the tracks on IV.

It's hard to judge as chorus is completely new.The keyboard riff sounds like it could have been on IV. Either way, I dig it. You definitely hear the merging of the past with the present.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sundet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:31 pm

How do we know the rhythm track was from the IV sessions?
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Morten » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 pm

And how do we know the chorus is completely new? I mean, Joe's vocals are obviously new, but are you saying the track didn't have a melody for the chorus back when it was originally recorded?
Morten
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Morten wrote:And how do we know the chorus is completely new? I mean, Joe's vocals are obviously new, but are you saying the track didn't have a melody for the chorus back when it was originally recorded?

Luke said there was no lead vocal or lyrics. I also think Luke's vocal is new. It's possible they had an original chorus. To me, that part sounds separate from the keyboard riff and Jeff's playing.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Anymajordude » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

To me it sounds much more like Hydra era. And, good to see you back, Sundet.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Return to Toto