Best New Band this Decade?

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 am

Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: Best New Band this Decade?

Postby ebake02 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 am

No bad but way too much screeching.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Oh god please no. They’re so bad.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:57 pm

My first response would be these guys (and girl).

https://youtu.be/dIUtob1EdcY
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Kingdom Come was SO much better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNSmYWfIKuA

Band sounds good but the singer does a terrible Robert Plant.
If your gonna rip off Zeppelin get a singer that can sing and not just screech.

Glad though people are still buying "rock" albums.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:56 pm

These boys are from Michigan! I have to love them!

By the way, this is the band Neal wanted Journey to be in 1978 and then Perry came along and changed them before they could become Zeppelin 2.0.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Whether you like the vocals or not, the musicianship is embarrassingly good. These friggin kids are 21. And they're playing rock and roll. I'd argue they are WAY better than LZ doing their deal. This band sold out a 7500 area 2 nights in a row in Canada and they don't have a CD yet. I'd suggest we set back and watch the next best band ever move forward. It's hard to believe they play that well at 21. I'm in!
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Fair enough, I appreciate the feedback. They're 19-21. Let's see what they do in 10 years.

Fact Finder wrote:
Aaron wrote:Whether you like the vocals or not, the musicianship is embarrassingly good. These friggin kids are 21. And they're playing rock and roll. I'd argue they are WAY better than LZ doing their deal. This band sold out a 7500 area 2 nights in a row in Canada and they don't have a CD yet. I'd suggest we set back and watch the next best band ever move forward. It's hard to believe they play that well at 21. I'm in!

I like GvF well enough, have watched a lot of their YouTube stuff and I admit they are quite good. However, in NO WAY are they better than Zeppelin, not even close. They have a long way to go with songwriting skills and defining their own sound. Right now they are a Zeppelin wannabe. I’ll give em a few more years and I expect great things but there is work to do.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 am

Fact Finder wrote:
Aaron wrote:Whether you like the vocals or not, the musicianship is embarrassingly good. These friggin kids are 21. And they're playing rock and roll. I'd argue they are WAY better than LZ doing their deal. This band sold out a 7500 area 2 nights in a row in Canada and they don't have a CD yet. I'd suggest we set back and watch the next best band ever move forward. It's hard to believe they play that well at 21. I'm in!

I like GvF well enough, have watched a lot of their YouTube stuff and I admit they are quite good. However, in NO WAY are they better than Zeppelin, not even close. They have a long way to go with songwriting skills and defining their own sound. Right now they are a Zeppelin wannabe. I’ll give em a few more years and I expect great things but there is work to do.

Not sure how they'll evolve past their current "wannabe Zep" sound... maybe they'll take a shot at disco?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Man you guys are brutal. I had a look at the talent in the band. They are all very talented musicians. The kid sounds a bit like Plant but he's not a dick. We'll see how they do. I'm looking at the talent and they are as good as I've heard in a new band since Goodbye Thrill or Blackberry Smoke. I'll give it some time and see. They are talented on every position. If that's true (who knows), they'll be around a while. You can't argue with a 7500 seat area sold out two nights back to back with no CD. No one does that.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:10 am

Solid band! Their performance on Jimmy Fallon was pretty damn amazing.

I heard bit of Geddy Lee in his voice.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:27 pm

There is some Lee in there. I hear some Bon Scott as well.

Art Vandelay wrote:Solid band! Their performance on Jimmy Fallon was pretty damn amazing.

Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:06 am

1) The decade isn't finished.

2) Wolfmother beat them to it 15 years ago (and they're still going).

In conclusion: enough with Zep wannabes. Where's Son of BÖC? 8)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 am

Blows away anything out there today by a country mile. Haven't had a band catch my ear like this since Audioslave's self titled release. I couldn't care less if it sounds like Zepp. That's actually a good thing. The R&R world should embrace this shit instead of chastising it. I already got tickets to see them in May. The singer is going to have to take care of that voice. Not sure it can last.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Sighlence » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 am

Aaron wrote:You can't argue with a 7500 seat area sold out two nights back to back with no CD. No one does that.

Was that in Toronto? The youtube clip of that show was fookin' epic. Awesome crowd...
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:41 am

Sighlence wrote:Blows away anything out there today by a country mile. Haven't had a band catch my ear like this since Audioslave's self titled release. I couldn't care less if it sounds like Zepp. That's actually a good thing. The R&R world should embrace this shit instead of chastising it. I already got tickets to see them in May. The singer is going to have to take care of that voice. Not sure it can last.

The difference is Audioslave's self-titled album is stacked floor-to-ceiling with great songs. GvF is a tribute band. Not an iota of originality. It's like they grew up in a commune where the folks played nothing but the first three albums by LZ. I lol'd when I saw a YT comment read "The singer doesn't sound like Plant, he sounds like Gilbert Gottfried." So why didn't Kingdom Come enjoy the same reception with "Get It On"?
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm

They are kids, not established musicians forming a supergroup. To each their own. They have their own material and it kicks. The train is leaving the station, and i’m on board. And lol @ Kingdom Come...
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm

"They are kids." Right. If they were thirtysomethings, nobody would give a toss. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby slucero » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 pm

GVF need to embrace their Zep roots & similarities... maybe even talk about it a bit.. that will end the endless comparisons, and let them move forward. Avoiding it just infuriates people who hear the obvious similarities...

The Struts lead singer has been compared to Freddie Mercury countless times. He's embraced it graciously, and most people have moved on from it being a talking point.

It's about respecting ones influences....

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

I agree with everything you said. The kid is 21 and whaling. He's not trying to manage his future on the pipes which is what makes him brilliant. I'll go see them as soon as they get within 3-4 hours. Nice post.

Sighlence wrote:Blows away anything out there today by a country mile. Haven't had a band catch my ear like this since Audioslave's self titled release. I couldn't care less if it sounds like Zepp. That's actually a good thing. The R&R world should embrace this shit instead of chastising it. I already got tickets to see them in May. The singer is going to have to take care of that voice. Not sure it can last.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm

I believe it was. Agree, they are not just a flash. They are as good live as recorded.

Sighlence wrote:
Aaron wrote:You can't argue with a 7500 seat area sold out two nights back to back with no CD. No one does that.

Was that in Toronto? The youtube clip of that show was fookin' epic. Awesome crowd...
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Man you're right, except they write their own stuff, have talent in every position and sell out 7500 seat venues two nights in a row without a CD release. These kids are 19-21 and better than 99% out there at the moment. Come on now!

verslibre wrote:GvF is a tribute band. Not an iota of originality. It's like they grew up in a commune where the folks played nothing but the first three albums by LZ. I lol'd when I saw a YT comment read "The singer doesn't sound like Plant, he sounds like Gilbert Gottfried." So why didn't Kingdom Come enjoy the same reception with "Get It On"?
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Time will tell on longevity. Talent out of the box, I'll argue with you on that. 3 out of 4 slots are better in MHO.

Fact Finder wrote:

Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Aaron wrote:Man you're right, except they write their own stuff, have talent in every position and sell out 7500 seat venues two nights in a row without a CD release. These kids are 19-21 and better than 99% out there at the moment. Come on now!

You "come on now": you insist they have no album and their success is entirely the result of hype and and airplay/stream.

I just checked Discogs and last year (2017) they released a 4-song EP on both disc and vinyl, and an 8-song "MiniAlbum" on Republic and Lava that got issued on CD no fewer than six times in North America, Europe and Oz.

This year (2018), they do have an album out, Anthem of the Peaceful Army. Ten songs, issued on CD five times and seven freakin' times already on vinyl in several shades including piss-yellow. Yeah, somebody's riding the wave.

"99%..." You're a serious fanboy. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Ritchie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 am

I rather see these kids a million times over than a DJ earning millions by pushing some buttons on a computer :wink:
Ritchie
45 RPM

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 am

Ritchie wrote:I rather see these kids a million times over than a DJ earning millions by pushing some buttons on a computer :wink:

U hatin' on Guetta? :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 am

These guys are good, no matter how old they are. Neal was only 15 when he started, and he was great then too.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Sighlence » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:31 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Solid band! Their performance on Jimmy Fallon was pretty damn amazing.

I'm hearing some Joplin in there too. The more i listen the more i hear. I just hope he doesn't blow a chord.
Last edited by Sighlence on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 am

Sighlence wrote:I just hope he doesn't blow a chord.

Well, tweet him to take it easy on the ivories. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm

verslibre wrote:
Sighlence wrote:I just hope he doesn't blow a chord.

Well, tweet him to take it easy on the ivories. :lol:

Ba dum tsss! :lol:
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Next

Return to Journey