'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 pm

verslibre wrote: Nobody's teaching anybody anything, but the suits at Warner are learning to not fuck with their directors. Exhibit A: Jenkins. Exhibit B: Wan.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a fucking winner!

Go look at the DCEU films that WB didn't cleave to absolute DEATH where they let their directors be: Man of Steel, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. No coincidence there.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Good to see Hector Navarro loved it. I was curious about his thoughts. He was harsh on BvS:

James Wan made one of the coolest damn movies I've ever seen. #Aquaman fans have a reason to celebrate: there's gonna be a lot more of us after December 21st!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 am

Passed 100M in China.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 am

Review: 'Aquaman' Is Thrilling New Addition To Superhero Cinema

Christmas season is about to be very, very good to Warner Bros. and DC Films. Next week sees the arrival of what will surely be the biggest blockbuster hit of Christmas 2018, as the superhero origin film Aquaman makes a huge splash in theaters around the world following its record-breaking debut in China last weekend (by today, it will surpass every previous DC movie's total box office in China). With more than $100 million in the tank by now, James Wan's lavish comic book adaptation has enjoyed early positive reactions from critics and apparently superb word of mouth from audiences who've been lucky enough to see it. Can Jason Momoa turn his Atlantean King into another breakout success akin to Wonder Woman last year? Read on for my latest box office estimates and full review...

Having seen Aquaman, I'll now upgrade my estimate and say I think the movie will take $1+ billion, with $800-900 million being my lowest-end estimate and $1.4 billion being my current highest-end estimate. This film is going to be huge, and it will enjoy a lot of repeat business. Word of mouth will be off the charts among key demographics, and it's going to get very positive critical reception, all of which will translate into long and strong legs at the box office through the holidays and into the New Year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/12/11/review-aquaman-is-thrilling-new-addition-to-superhero-cinema/#7293798c32f7
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:50 am

I cannot stress enough how much the aesthetics of Aquaman differ from anything you've seen before in superhero cinema, from either DC or Marvel. The trailers don't give you a true sense of the scope and scale, of the crispness of each shot and pulsating hues. Coupled with the high quality and visceral effect of the action itself, the visuals explode off the screen with immense power, each seemingly more potent than the last.

Momoa's arc as Aquaman is solid and includes some especially thoughtful, intelligent self-awareness and self-criticism. He's a guy who resists being called a hero, because despite his outward cockiness he fears he's not really up to the bigger tasks his powers and supposed "destiny" imply. The inclusion of a deep-seated guilt and regret from his earlier life, and how he internalizes the hatred and distrust of Atlanteans even while he resents and hates them in return, provides a nice subtext to his devil-may-care pretense that's become a shield against forming deeper relationships and commitments. Momoa plays the role with a sense of humor, but also a great deal of love and reverence. He's got the physicality for a superhero role, but he also brings an easy charm I hadn't fully realized he possesses on screen (it's apparent in real life, though) and can seem decidedly vulnerable at the right times.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:v, did you see James Gunns' trailer to 'BrightBurn'? Gunn totally took inspiration from MoS/Zack Snyder. Even the themes are the same. That's some straight up ULTRA MAN stuff right there.

Holy shit. That is close to full-on plagiarism. The opening shots, the music, the cinematography. It's like they remade Man of Steel, but have Kal-el murdering civilians for shits and giggles.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 am

Aquaman is going to pass CA: Civil War any day now in China. No doubt it'll hit 900mil WW.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:04 am

Aquamoa is going to be at $300M before it even hits theaters here.

Btw, saw BH post that Aquaman is now his #2 fave DCEU film right below Man of Steel!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:27 am

verslibre wrote:Aquamoa is going to be at $300M before it even hits theaters here.

Btw, saw BH post that Aquaman is now his #2 fave DCEU film right below Man of Steel!

Yep! I'm really good friends with BH. We talk all the time on social media. We're likeminded fans. Glad he loved it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Aquamoa is going to be at $300M before it even hits theaters here.

Yep! I'm really good friends with BH. We talk all the time on social media. We're likeminded fans. Glad he loved it.

Right on. Glad he came back to Snyderverse. Maybe I should see what excuses the Hypesters are drumming up right about now. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 am

Now where have I seen this dude before?

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 am

Was that the neck everyone was telling that to?

Bahaha!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:49 am

Wait, that's his name, right? No-Neck? I think I saw him playing a guardian angel handing out doobies in a recent movie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:23 am

Well, a long time ago, he was in the movie Platoon and had a small bit in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He was also in the move "Wallstreet". More recently he was on that show "Two and a Half Men".

Don't know why he's wearing an Aquaman shirt tho.

verslibre wrote:Now where have I seen this dude before?
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm

LOL..

..Christ.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 am

When are you going? I can't hit the theater till Sunday, unfortunately. Wasn't able to do the Thursday preview this time.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:31 am

A friend caught Aquaman in IMAX (not 3-D) last night and said it's her favorite CBM next to Logan and Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (which is her new #1). She said the action was amazing, and Momoa, Heard and Kidman all kick serious ass. She added it's "better than all the DCEU movies put together minus Wonder Woman."

I see a lot of lists where Aquaman is the new "#2" and Wonder Woman is now at #3.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:23 am

Tried to catch Aquaman Friday night with the wife but with the baby and family in for the holidays, it's been absolutely insane. I'll add to the 2nd weekend BO for sure! The overseas number already SMASHED 400+ million and is doing an insane amount of numbers in China. Should pass $700 mil WW by the new year. Aquaman has a good shot to flirt with 1Bil. Legs could be WW-like.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:10 am

Wonder Woman 1984 done shooting!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:21 am

Tickets secured for tonight's 6PM showing!

Crazy weekend. Every major studio except Fox has a movie in the Top 5 right now: WB (two, with Aquaman and Clint Eastwood's The Mule), Disney, Paramount and Sony.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:21 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Wonder Woman 1984 done shooting!

Gotta f-ing wait till 2020...lol.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:56 am

Aquaman tried to be too many different things (origin story, artifact quest story, Ray Harryhausen monster movie,Shakespearean family drama ).
The pacing was a little slow. Visually, it was immersive and stunning. Wan and team clearly spent alot of time engaging in world building.
Overall tho, I greatly admired what they pulled off. Parts of it had me saying "what the hell am I watching?"
No small feat when comic book movies are clogging multiplex screens.

B+. Maybe an A-. As I've always said, James Wan never makes bad movies.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Very cool to hear you liked it, TNC. From what people are saying, it's truly a comic book movie that has no qualms of going big or going home. As soon as Wan was announced as the director to Aquaman, I knew it was going to be something of mass scope and craziness. Wan is a BEAST. I can't wait to see this sucker with my own two eyes.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Alright, I fi-nal-lee have a chance to chime in. Been doin' all kinds o' shiz.

This movie's a fkn BLAST. It covers a LOT of ground. It's a much "textured" origin film than most others, especially the much-lauded Black Panther, and — yes, I'll say it — Wonder Woman. It's beating WW in a lot of "fave DC movie" lists. I didn't believe, but then I saw it.

Aquaman epitomized the adage "must see on the big screen." That is NO joke. The CGI is fantastic. And they did not skimp. Much of the CGI (like the creatures) isn't meant to evoke hyper-realism — hyper-fantasy, rather. And that's how it wins. There's some glaringly bad CGI in Infinity War that looks unfinished, and a lot of the CGI in Justice League's downright atrocious. But Aquaman does not have that problem. There was times when you didn't know where practical stopped and CG started.

My gawrsh...the action and camera work 99% of the time are just nuts. The action choreography totally dusted Black Panther. Momoa sells badass way more than a lot of his peers. But Wan's also got his own look down, and we get a lot of great tracking shots and POV shots that really sell the drama. This movie's rewatchability factor is instantly 10/10.

At 143 minutes, some parts felt a tad rushed (don't know what you mean about "slow pacing," TNC, lol), but then other quieter parts were just fine. It's as though this movie's composed of tidal swells that finally tsunami your ass in the big finale. And that finisher's exactly how Justice League should have landed, but crashed. Some of the jokes didn't land for me, but then others were right in line with Momoa's boisterous personality. The whole cast flat-out rocks. Kidman, Heard, Wilson, Dafoe, Abdul-Mateen — everyone gets their freakin' moments. And there's even a surprise voice actor I totally forgot about, in one of the movie's best scenes towards the end.

I don't want to say more now till Trav watches it. But it's a winner. And Monker's gonna dig it, too.

P.S. Black Manta...DAMN.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Aquaman tried to be too many different things (origin story, artifact quest story, Ray Harryhausen monster movie,Shakespearean family drama )*.
The pacing was a little slow. Visually, it was immersive and stunning. Wan and team clearly spent alot of time engaging in world building.
Overall tho, I greatly admired what they pulled off. Parts of it had me saying "what the hell am I watching?"
No small feat when comic book movies are clogging multiplex screens.

B+. Maybe an A-. As I've always said, James Wan never makes bad movies.**

*Nah, those are just components of the grand saga. :wink:

**You got that right, man. Merry Christmas!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:30 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/12/26/aquaman-tops-100-million-at-domestic-box-office-on-christmas/#5aed004362be

Aquaman continues to dominate the worldwide box office over the Christmas holiday, with nearly $106 million in domestic receipts and $550+/- million worldwide. With $11 million on Christmas Eve and $22 million on Christmas Day, James Wan's superhero blockbuster grossed $83+ million over its opening three-day weekend plus early previews (the latter is money the film surely would've made over the weekend anyway, coming from fans who couldn't wait for the official weekend bow to get started). It could close in on $700 million by the end of next weekend as it heads into New Year's Eve and New Year's Day early next week, which will add additional big sales days to Aquaman's impressive cume.

By the end of the first week of January 2019, Aquaman will probably be the third-highest grossing movie of the DCEU library, behind only Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman. I expect it to eventually reach north of $900 million and probably hit $1 billion, off the continued strength of massive foreign totals plus strong holds on both the domestic and international fronts.

There was some question as to whether Aquaman would be able to top $100 million in North America, as the three-day weekend totals came in slightly behind estimates. But that concern was premised on ignoring the early preview screenings that actually boosted Aquaman's three-day FSS numbers beyond the official $68 million figure, toward $72 million. The larger figure is still a bit lower than I expected, and is at the lower end of predictions that suggested the film could finish in the $75-80+ million range by the end of the weekend.

But Aquaman rallied for a solid Christmas Eve, and then Christmas Day saw a giant $22 million domestic take. The latter is a Christmas Day range that few films have achieved -- indeed, only three Star Wars films, Avatar, and a Robert Downey Jr.-fueled Sherlock Holmes have ever topped $20+ million on Christmas. That's good company to keep, and is a great sign of how popular and financially powerful the King of Atlantis is turning out to be.

At this rate, the lowest-end outcome for Aquaman -- if it suffered sudden, inexplicably large weekly declines and fizzled domestically in the coming weeks -- would still see it finish its run north of $750+ million, meaning even the worst-case performance leaves it as the third-highest grossing DCEU release. More likely it will ride a wave of popularity toward $1 billion and the crown as the DCEU's best performer to date.

This all bodes well for the chances of a sequel, and we'll see if Aquaman provides additional coattails for Shazam next year. That film had a terrific trailer and lots of interest already, so any added advantages bode well for its fate.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 pm

Busting to see this thing! Great writeup v and very happy you enjoyed it. Aquaman is without any doubt passing the $900 threshold. It's going to challenge 1B.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 am

$20M intl WED for #Aquaman boosting intl total to fantastic $473.6M. Intl #boxoffice has already surpassed #WonderWoman, #FantasticBeasts2, #JusticeLeague, #DoctorStrange, #WinterSoldier, #AntMan 1 & 2, and #GOTG with plenty more to come. Global now $596.2M. Crushing $600M today.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:11 am

600M already...whoa.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm

verslibre wrote:And Monker's gonna dig it, too.

Yes, it's entertaining. Yes, it has great visual effects. Yes, it is epic. Yes, people should see it.

But, you guys over rate these movies so far that it is silly. There is far, far, far too much "stuff" in this film...it is crowded with subplots and multiple kingdoms...stuff that has NOTHING to do with Arthur's quest to become king. There is very little character "development"...just short scenes between action bits....nothing very involved. Arthur's arc is, as I said, Lion King...or now obviously Camelot. The second half of Black Manta's story could have been cut and saved for another movie. The interactions between Arthur and Mera were not very convincing that they were going to be a couple...I was surprised that they tried to end it that way.

To me, it was "good" in the same way that Avatar was "good". It was a nice film too look at, nice CGI and fight scenes...but the story itself did not pull me in and much of it I have seen before. But, seeing a bunch of epic actions scenes in great CGI is always entertaining.
Monker
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara