Traces After Some Time

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Traces After Some Time

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm

So it's almost been 2 months since Traces was released. I've waited 22 years to hear more from Steve. What does everyone think since it's settled in?
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: Traces After Some Time

Postby slucero » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

He's done... back into the shadows..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I still appreciate that he gave us some music, but I'm kind of over it for the most part. I'll revisit it down the road.
steveo777
MP3

Postby scarab » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Just gets better
Ballad heavy yes, but I thought he would never do this.
The +5 songs are underrated.

But not holding my breath if he tours behind it.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm still enjoying the music. Even more because I thought it would never happen. He still has so much emotion in his voice, it would be nice if he toured a bit, although I don't think that I would ever see it live.
All in all, it was worth the wait.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby yogi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 am

Played it for 2 solid weeks. Could only get into two songs and its now in my CD closet.

Probably wont listen to it again.

Sorry
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby jrny84 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am

Played it quite a bit the first month or so. Haven't listened to it in a few weeks, Christmas music has taken priority.

Probably will revisit it after the holidays. I do enjoy at least 3-4 songs on the album.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby ADALBL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 am

Honestly it gets better and better the more I listen to it. I plan on sharing a somewhat lengthy, song by song, posting on why I think this album is so great. In summary, it is very layered, but subtle and as such very satisfying. The singing is great (pitch is still perfect, phrasing is incredible) and the range surprisingly higher than I expected. Yes his voice has evolved but its still beautiful and rich. This record is also very organic feeling and extremely well recorded which is something missing from most of the mainstream music today so it just feels so good.

As for touring - I completely expect he will do at least some shows (by the way I had zero doubt - short of him getting hit by the proverbial bus - that he would someday release this music... its just so obviously in his DNA eventually it had to happen). I hope at least one of the shows is close enough for me to get to.

I also expect him to release more music in the future - and why wouldn't he, he is performing at a very, very high level and has a world-class studio in his house with lots of material still to get to... and he is having fun doing it.

For what its worth, I'm generally quite critical when it comes to music but its just impossible for me not to love this record. It continues to move me every time I listen to it which is pretty much every day. Its one of the things I said I was thankful for at our Thanksgiving dinner and everyone there understood...
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 am

I think the sequencing of the album is quite poor. The best track, Angel Eyes, is relegated as a bonus track. Too many ballads. Traces makes Strange Medicine look like Escape. Taken individually, the songs are fine. Some are amazing actually. But I don't plan to revisit it anytime soon. The album has actually made me appreciate Schon/Cain alot more.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tater1977 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 am

I take it and like it for what it is. Steve trying to share different life
expressions and experiences with us. Some will relate to it and some won't.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyfan@nc.rr.com » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:28 am

I haven't listened in a couple of weeks now - but that's not by choice, just haven't spun much Journey related stuff lately. The songs continue to grow more and more on me. I'm still rebounding from the death of my parents (lost both out of the blue over the course of 1 year in 2016). I value every expression of grief Steve emotes on this album. I know I'm in the minority (I'm fully aware it's a very strange tune), but "Blue Jays Fly" has touched me like no other song in the catalog ever has. It's like Steve just jumped into my brain and took exactly what I was (still am) feeling and turned it into a moody song. "We're Still Here" is a fav. I remain thankful that Steve is offering up some beautifully sung emotions connected to the human experience.
jrnyfan@nc.rr.com
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 am

jrnyfan@nc.rr.com wrote:I haven't listened in a couple of weeks now - but that's not by choice, just haven't spun much Journey related stuff lately. The songs continue to grow more and more on me. I'm still rebounding from the death of my parents (lost both out of the blue over the course of 1 year in 2016). I value every expression of grief Steve emotes on this album. I know I'm in the minority (I'm fully aware it's a very strange tune), but "Blue Jays Fly" has touched me like no other song in the catalog ever has. It's like Steve just jumped into my brain and took exactly what I was (still am) feeling and turned it into a moody song. "We're Still Here" is a fav. I remain thankful that Steve is offering up some beautifully sung emotions connected to the human experience.

Me too.
To me, much of the material seems aimed at people going through a Loss.
I listen to it a lot, but not if I'm in a down mood.
I believe it's Grammy worthy.
I listen to it a few times a week.
Love it.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 pm

I hate it but I'm the same as you.

I have been jamming Greta Van Fleet and liking it for now.

yogi wrote:Played it for 2 solid weeks. Could only get into two songs and its now in my CD closet.

Probably wont listen to it again.

Sorry
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 am

I still give it a spin from time to time. It’s one of the six i have in my CD player at the moment. Figured i’d try reverse psychology and bought tickets to see GVF because, ya know, Perry will NEVER tour again. :D
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Well played!

Sighlence wrote:I still give it a spin from time to time. It’s one of the six i have in my CD player at the moment. Figured i’d try reverse psychology and bought tickets to see GVF because, ya know, Perry will NEVER tour again. :D
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 pm

His best album, ever. Not sure what the rest of you wanted or expected, but this is absolutely glorious.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Sighlence » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:20 am

Rick wrote:His best album, ever. Not sure what the rest of you wanted or expected, but this is absolutely glorious.

I like it more than FTLOSM, although YBW is a solid fav. Still not sure it tops Street Talk. All in all it was a solid effort though, and i’m pretty sure he surprised A LOT of people and layed waste to the “voice is shot” crowd.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:26 am

Like it to more then FTLOSM.
FTLOSM has at least 4 songs that are constant skips. Especially "I am" and Donna Please.
It also had great songs. You better wait, Anyway, Somewheres Theres Hope.

Traces doesnt have anything in my mind that can rival the above three but the only song I skip is the Beatles Cover.

I will skip the two Fly songs but not because the quality but they are very depressing.
The two songs I have really got into that I didnt think I would is You Belong to Me and Most of All, especially at the 2:00 minute mark til the end.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 pm

scarab wrote:Like it to more then FTLOSM.
FTLOSM has at least 4 songs that are constant skips. Especially "I am" and Donna Please.
It also had great songs. You better wait, Anyway, Somewheres Theres Hope.

Traces doesnt have anything in my mind that can rival the above three but the only song I skip is the Beatles Cover.

I will skip the two Fly songs but not because the quality but they are very depressing.
The two songs I have really got into that I didnt think I would is You Belong to Me and Most of All, especially at the 2:00 minute mark til the end.

The only song i skip is Blue Jays Fly. It drips pain and sorrow.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:17 am

Rick wrote:His best album, ever. Not sure what the rest of you wanted or expected, but this is absolutely glorious.

Street Talk is an absolute classic. Nothing on Traces even comes close.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ADALBL » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:18 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Street Talk is an absolute classic. Nothing on Traces even comes close.

Could not disagree more. I take each album for what it is and I love them both. Street Talk certainly rocks more and has amazing songs that hold up very well. That said, the level of personal vulnerability on certain songs on Traces makes it incredibly intimate and at a level where I don't think Steve was yet ready to go on Street Talk (maybe a bit on Running Alone).

Traces is also so layered and nuanced - it really is amazingly beautiful. The more I listen to it the more I enjoy it and the more impressed I am with it even on a cerebral (songwriting/performance) level. Most of all (no pun intended), the album moves me and just feels so good.

I hope over time you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Happy Holidays!
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 am

ADALBL wrote:Could not disagree more. I take each album for what it is and I love them both. Street Talk certainly rocks more and has amazing songs that hold up very well. That said, the level of personal vulnerability on certain songs on Traces makes it incredibly intimate and at a level where I don't think Steve was yet ready to go on Street Talk (maybe a bit on Running Alone).

Traces is also so layered and nuanced - it really is amazingly beautiful. The more I listen to it the more I enjoy it and the more impressed I am with it even on a cerebral (songwriting/performance) level. Most of all (no pun intended), the album moves me and just feels so good.

Happy Holidays!

I think many fans have allowed the marketing of the album (specifically, Kellie Nash's battle) taint their objectivity.
Taken simply as a collection of songs on their own merits, there is not that much here to get all that excited about.
Arguably the most disappointing comeback album in music history.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby SusieP » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:41 am

I don't really like it.
Not keen on the songs and not keen on the voice in parts.

Nor do I like the Christmas song he's posted online.
I did not expect his voice to be like it was when he was in his prime, but there are some notes sung on Traces and the Christmas track that I do not enjoy listening to.
For such a perfectionist I am surprised he has released songs with bits like that. I know he wouldn't use pro-Tools etc but there are some rather dodgy moments that I am surprised he allowed to come out.

Also, for a guy who has been SILENT for almost twenty years, he's certainly making up for it.
You can't get away from him. Interviews everywhere. All saying the same stuff over and over.
One extreme to the other.
Total silence to saturation.

Of his other solo stuff, I love 'Foolish Heart' 'Running Alone' 'I Am' and 'Missing You.'
There's nothing on Traces that I really like.
Sorry Steve but after making us wait for what felt like an eternity, I am disappointed.

What I do want from him though is a full explanation of every tiny detail on that album cover.
What does it all mean????
Give us a load of interviews about THAT please.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:38 am

Put simply...I love it.

Yeah, I said it. I love it. The entire album is platinum to me. NO!!! The marketing isn't causing me to view it with rose-colored glasses either. I LOVE it even better than Street Talk and dare I say FTLOSM. There is NOT A SINGLE SONG that I skip over. Not one. I try...but I can't because I understand why every song is on there. FTLOSM has only 1 song that I skip and that's Tuesday Heartache. Street Talk I never listened to front to back. I am just doing that now and its is FANTASTIC. BUT...I will take THIS album over both of them any day.

I'm gonna tell ya'll straight up. Any here who don't like it are in the absolute minority. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're not. Believe me...you are. There is nothing that you can say that will prove it to me different. Nothing. You can not like it. Go ahead, but you are not the majority. All he wanted was for you to listen with an open heart and mind. That's it. If you like...GREAT. If you don't, ok. And yeah...and don't take a nap thinking that this album was just a fulfillment of a promise and he's done. NOT. There's more coming and the answer to the tour...let's put it this way...he didn't do all this SOUL-WORK for nothing.

Street Talk was his conversation with Sherrie and maybe others. FTLOSM was his commentary on social issues. Traces was his conversation with his heart and soul, gifted to us.

People...get ready.

And YEAH...if high notes are important to you, he hits them consistently throughout the album, especially Sunshines Gray. He's lower in his keys at all. He's maybe at FTLOSM level.

Steve...thank you. You didn't have to do this, but you did. You did it for her, you did it for us but most importantly, you did it for yourself.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:49 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ADALBL wrote:Could not disagree more. I take each album for what it is and I love them both. Street Talk certainly rocks more and has amazing songs that hold up very well. That said, the level of personal vulnerability on certain songs on Traces makes it incredibly intimate and at a level where I don't think Steve was yet ready to go on Street Talk (maybe a bit on Running Alone).

Happy Holidays!

I think many fans have allowed the marketing of the album (specifically, Kellie Nash's battle) taint their objectivity.
Taken simply as a collection of songs on their own merits, there is not that much here to get all that excited about.
Arguably the most disappointing comeback album in music history.

Sorry. I'm with the comment above yours. NOT SO NOT the disappointment YOU feel it is. That's your opinion. And NO most fans have NOT allowed themselves to be "tainted" by the story or the marketing. Its multi-layered and very complex emotionally. I love every song and can not get myself to skip not one. Perfect album? No but darn CLOSE. Very close! Imperfectly perfect.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:04 am

SusieP wrote:Of his other solo stuff, I love 'Foolish Heart' 'Running Alone' 'I Am' and 'Missing You.'
Sorry Steve but after making us wait for what felt like an eternity, I am disappointed.

I like several of the songs (Sun Shines Gray, We're Still Here, Angel Eyes, Most of All, October in NY). It's just sequenced very poorly. One slow maudlin ballad after another.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:06 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Steve...thank you. You didn't have to do this, but you did. You did it for her, you did it for us but most importantly, you did it for yourself.

How can you type with a straight face that you haven't been influenced by the marketing?
Look at your quote above - you can't even discuss the album without mentioning Kellie or the larger PR narrative of Steve's return to the limelight.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby musicfan17 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 am

Bought it, listened to it twice online and then about a half dozen times after the actual copy arrived....

It's good, not great overall, I'm very pleased that he FINALLY released some new music! He still has a beautiful soulful voice. With that having been said...

I havent listened to it past the intial phase. It's just not that memorable or as strong as his first two efforts. To me. Street Talk was his best overall effort. FTLOSM was great in places and so-so in others. Traces is a nice album and has some nice story and emotions attacted, but I have zero desire to pull it out and listen to it anytime soon. For me at least, it lacks some real kick, some energy, some upbeat, uptempo songs. The album is completely devoid of that.

Finally, I hope he releases more music in the near future. Perhaps this will spark him to write from a different place and a few years from now there will be a fourth solo effort. I won't hold my breath on any touring.
It's All Good...
musicfan17
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:25 am

musicfan17 wrote:Bought it, listened to it twice online and then about a half dozen times after the actual copy arrived....

It's good, not great overall, I'm very pleased that he FINALLY released some new music! He still has a beautiful soulful voice. With that having been said...

I havent listened to it past the intial phase. It's just not that memorable or as strong as his first two efforts. To me. Street Talk was his best overall effort. FTLOSM was great in places and so-so in others. Traces is a nice album and has some nice story and emotions attacted, but I have zero desire to pull it out and listen to it anytime soon. For me at least, it lacks some real kick, some energy, some upbeat, uptempo songs. The album is completely devoid of that.

Finally, I hope he releases more music in the near future. Perhaps this will spark him to write from a different place and a few years from now there will be a fourth solo effort. I won't hold my breath on any touring.

Agreed. I respect the album for what it is, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it. In a strange way, Traces has made me appreciate Cain/Schon alot more. It was always obvious they missed SP in the writing department. That said, albums like Arrival, Revelation, and Eclipse have alot more sonic diversity and uptempo energy than what Traces delivered.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 am

SusieP wrote:I don't really like it.
Not keen on the songs and not keen on the voice in parts.

Nor do I like the Christmas song he's posted online.
I did not expect his voice to be like it was when he was in his prime, but there are some notes sung on Traces and the Christmas track that I do not enjoy listening to.
For such a perfectionist I am surprised he has released songs with bits like that. I know he wouldn't use pro-Tools etc but there are some rather dodgy moments that I am surprised he allowed to come out.

Also, for a guy who has been SILENT for almost twenty years, he's certainly making up for it.
You can't get away from him. Interviews everywhere. All saying the same stuff over and over.
One extreme to the other.
Total silence to saturation.

Of his other solo stuff, I love 'Foolish Heart' 'Running Alone' 'I Am' and 'Missing You.'

What I do want from him though is a full explanation of every tiny detail on that album cover.
What does it all mean????
Give us a load of interviews about THAT please.

In what was it saturation?

He went on a media interview tour to promote an album... of course he's going to be saying the same things
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Steve Perry