Toto ALL IN... what a disaster!

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Toto ALL IN... what a disaster!

Postby Anymajordude » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I guess no added songs to the regular albums?
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby St.George » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Anymajordude wrote:I guess no added songs to the regular albums?

All the bonus tracks in the regular albums are included, if that's what you mean:

- The Seventh one in TSO
- Kick Down the Walls and Little Wing in KOD
- Blackeye in Tambu
- Spanish Steps in Mindfields
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby TotoStu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm

brandonx76 wrote:
TotoStu wrote:
brandonx76 wrote:Shipping update - it's moving finally...due next week...back to porch pirate watch, lol

Set a trap for the fuckers! And film it and post it in here, cause I tell you man - I could use a damn good laugh right now!

There's no guarantee..most of these people are grabbing random Amazon packages and following the delivery trucks around...pretty sorry stuff...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EBI5jGSs8 -

Seriously man - check out some YouTube vids about this shit. Loads of people set traps for the thieving little fuckers! :D
It's brilliant - never laughed so hard!

Over here in the UK Amazon don't leave shit on the porch (in fact, we don't even call them porch's!). If they can't deliver for any reason, they leave it with a neighbour or try to rearrange the delivery.

You should demand the same service over in your neck of the woods. I can imagine porch pirates can do a lot of damage to the business - so you'd think by now they'd come up with some kind of solution to the problem. It ain't good for anyone.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby Penguinpc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:11 am

Morten wrote:Toto just posted on their official Facebook page that there will be no CD set. "No plans for a CD only version at this time."

I've been looking forward to a CD set ever since they announced the All In set and said there would be a CD only set later. This really sucks and I'm kind of pissed. Maybe I'm not a die hard, but if I hadn't lost my job in August I would find a way to come up with the $500. But right now I'm working out of my home and not really making enough to drop the cash on this.

But most of all, I'm bummed. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that the band, or Sony, or whoever made this decision, don't owe me anything, just like George R.R. Martin doesn't owe me The Winds of Winter. Still bummed, though.

I hope they will at least release the remastered CDs separately. Because it seems like an awful waste to remaster all of those albums and then not make them generally available.

Guess I'll go back to lurking. :(
Penguinpc
Radio Waves

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:06 pm

They will. Chill!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Penguinpc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:53 am

Andrew wrote:They will. Chill!

That was just my initial reaction, I'll get over it.
Last edited by Penguinpc on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguinpc
Radio Waves

Postby r@y » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 am

Man, I still can't wrap my head around the fact my favourite band just came out with an album of new/previously unreleased older material and I haven't been able to get my hands on them or listen to those tracks. It's really frustrating.

And don't start with the whole this is a fans only project.

Just because I don't want to spend hundreds of Euros does not make me any less of a fan.

And I'm not going to start ranting about all the ways I am a true blue fan either.

Just feeling frustrated I can't hear more of my man Jeff Porcaro playing again in 2018, and new Toto stuff in general.

Just totally bummed.

Anyone here have their hands on Old is New ? How are the other tracks ?
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 am

CD only version will come.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby r@y » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am

Andrew wrote:CD only version will come.

Good to hear.

Hope that it's sooner rather than later 8)
r@y
LP

Postby r@y » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:02 am

Just heard another old new track, In A Little While

This one is a nice, low, slow and mellow acoustic ballad....written by Paich/S.Porcaro. Luke shines on this one.....both vocally and musically. His beautiful acoustic guitar is from the start to the end, and in between. Lovely track.

First track also since Spanish Sea and Devil's Tower where we get to hear Jeff 'clean'....his grooves are smooth on this one. Sonically sounds like it could be off the IV sessions.

Nice one. Can't wait to get my hands on the CD.....when it comes out.
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:38 am

r@y wrote:Just heard another old new track, In A Little While

This one is a nice, low, slow and mellow acoustic ballad....written by Paich/S.Porcaro. Luke shines on this one.....both vocally and musically. His beautiful acoustic guitar is from the start to the end, and in between. Lovely track.

First track also since Spanish Sea and Devil's Tower where we get to hear Jeff 'clean'....his grooves are smooth on this one. Sonically sounds like it could be off the IV sessions.

Nice one. Can't wait to get my hands on the CD.....when it comes out.

As someone elsewhere mentioned, it clearly sounds like a Steve P-penned track. Lovely track. Pure class. This album deserves its own release.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 pm

I have now heard all of the tracks of Old is New.

TNC, you said this album deserve its own release ? Man, you have NO idea......

This album kicks ass ! And because of the class of the old tracks from the vault, I dare rate this album higher than XIV, hands down !

I have Fearful Heart on a loop.

Will share more thoughts after a few more repeat listens.
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:55 am

r@y wrote:I have now heard all of the tracks of Old is New.

Awesome! I believe it. Not too late for Sony to do the right thing.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Old Is New is an awesome record.

With the exception of the What So Not collaboration, all the other tracks are really good. Fearful Heart sonically sounds like it was off the Isolation sessions. Great track, classic Toto. It was like Joe was on Isolation. I guess, like Spanish Sea which sounds similar to Africa....this track sounds a little bit similar in parts to another couple of tracks on the record which is why probably it got left out from Isolation. Jeff kicks ass on this one.

Oh Why, whilst most likely was from IV sessions, musically sounds a lot like something from early Toto....maybe Turn Back/Hydra. Very Beatles-eque. Great solo by Luke.

Chase The Rain is a Steve P track, typical of his style, but I like the rhythm variations throughout the song going into the chorus. Luke makes his licks count in the later parts of the song.

Chelsea. Now this...is a GREAT track. I'm trying to see which other Toto track this sounds like ....and I can't. This one is different. Think the verse section of The Turtles Happy Together track....that's how the vibe of Chelsea feels like. And it tells a story in a sort of Stranger in Town sort of way....haha.

I gotta say the old tracks from the vault are of the highest quality. Not some filler crap. To be honest, I was kinda worried what we would get after hearing Steve P last solo album Someday/Somehow which had an old track with Jeff and Mike on, and that didn't impress me much.

Really glad these old tracks in Old Is New sound so good.
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 am

r@y wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Old Is New is an awesome record.

With the exception of the What So Not collaboration, all the other tracks are really good. Fearful Heart sonically sounds like it was off the Isolation sessions. Great track, classic Toto. It was like Joe was on Isolation. I guess, like Spanish Sea which sounds similar to Africa....this track sounds a little bit similar in parts to another couple of tracks on the record which is why probably it got left out from Isolation. Jeff kicks ass on this one.

Oh Why, whilst most likely was from IV sessions, musically sounds a lot like something from early Toto....maybe Turn Back/Hydra. Very Beatles-eque. Great solo by Luke.

Chase The Rain is a Steve P track, typical of his style, but I like the rhythm variations throughout the song going into the chorus. Luke makes his licks count in the later parts of the song.

Chelsea. Now this...is a GREAT track. I'm trying to see which other Toto track this sounds like ....and I can't. This one is different. Think the verse section of The Turtles Happy Together track....that's how the vibe of Chelsea feels like. And it tells a story in a sort of Stranger in Town sort of way....haha.

I gotta say the old tracks from the vault are of the highest quality. Not some filler crap. To be honest, I was kinda worried what we would get after hearing Steve P last solo album Someday/Somehow which had an old track with Jeff and Mike on, and that didn't impress me much.

Really glad these old tracks in Old Is New sound so good.

Wasn't aware that the WhatSoNot track was on there. Looking forward to hearing the other tracks.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 pm

The Old Is New album is already out in full on YouTube......in case anyone's interested....
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 pm

r@y wrote:The Old Is New album is already out in full on YouTube......in case anyone's interested....

Thanks. Can't help feel that Sony dropped the ball on this. A new TOTO album (even if some of the tracks are old-new hybrids) deserves a major push.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:The Old Is New album is already out in full on YouTube......in case anyone's interested....

Thanks. Can't help feel that Sony dropped the ball on this. A new TOTO album (even if some of the tracks are old-new hybrids) deserves a major push.

Agree 100% ! This really should have been released on its own, still new Toto anyway.....IMO, should have been tagged with the 40 Trips record when it came out.

Btw, TNC....have you heard the new tracks ?
r@y
LP

Postby LtVanish » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am

I have been enjoying listening to the Old is New album, but I don't think it is too ground breaking, a few clunkers that I see why they never got released. I think the best 3 songs were on the 40 Trips album. This is just my opinion, still glad they did it though, I'll take any new Toto music, not complaining. I hope they record another album soon.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm

r@y wrote:

On my third spin. Maybe a little on the soft side, but some gorgeous tracks. Fearful Heart in particular is awesome. Consistent from start to finish. I think I like it more than XIV. Wish it was longer.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:

On my third spin. Maybe a little on the soft side, but some gorgeous tracks. Fearful Heart in particular is awesome. Consistent from start to finish. I think I like it more than XIV. Wish it was longer.

I hear ya, man....I keep on going back to Fearful Heart and Chelsea....old and new and both superb. Joe did a great job coming up with Chelsea (apparently that track was basically all him )

But the rest are good too.

And yes...I wish there was a couple or more tracks from the vault they could have put with Jeff and Mike/David on them :D
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 am

r@y wrote:I hear ya, man....I keep on going back to Fearful Heart and Chelsea

Same.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I sort of assumed it'd get a standalone release, but they wanted to put it in the box as collectors bait first.

I think there's some good stuff on here, but only 37 minutes of actual Toto stuff, 3 out of the 9 tracks were already released....it's a little slim for a major standalone release, IMO. (Granted, Sony may add bonus tracks to it for an individual release)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoStu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:52 am

Sure hope we get it this year man. Anyone got any news yet?
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:14 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:
I think there's some good stuff on here, but only 37 minutes of actual Toto stuff, 3 out of the 9 tracks were already released....it's a little slim for a major standalone release, IMO. (Granted, Sony may add bonus tracks to it for an individual release)

Why is 37 minutes too slim for a major standalone release? Both the Hydra and Turn Back albums clock in at about the 40-minute mark and no one's questioned their merits as standalone releases?

Moreover, if you back in the day bought three singles released before the launch of an album, would you then complain that three of the album tracks had already been released?

Unlike some others I'm certainly not almost aggressively defensive on the part of the band, but I do feel that this bit of criticism is somewhat unwarranted.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby TotoStu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 am

BTW, the CD only box is now officially on it's way and can be preordered from Amazon in most places (frustratingly not in the UK as yet... what's the deal with that?!?!)

End of May.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I sort of assumed it'd get a standalone release, but they wanted to put it in the box as collectors bait first.

The whole cd has been online for awhile. Alot of great stuff. But the running time is a little short.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby TotoStu » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:09 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:]The whole cd has been online for awhile. Alot of great stuff. But the running time is a little short.

I know you didn't ask my opinion so sorry to chime in... but I actually prefer short albums. Pretty much all the best albums I have ever heard have been under 45 minutes.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:25 pm

TotoStu wrote:I know you didn't ask my opinion so sorry to chime in... but I actually prefer short albums. Pretty much all the best albums I have ever heard have been under 45 minutes.

I agree with you partially. Could be the fact that I heard 4 of the songs before "Old is New" came out. As a result, there is only 6 tracks that really feel new.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 am

I agree, the bonus disc feels a bit short (especially considering I know there's a few more unreleased songs out there..."American Girls," "Runaway," etc), and I would've enjoyed a few alternate takes as well. Like, we know there's more stuff in the vault than this. But everything on there is pretty top-notch, so there's that. Glad to have those songs out there.

But I also don't treat it as a cohesive "album," I agree a regular album by anyone almost never needs to be more than 45 minutes. I think part of the reason Falling In Between was so well-received was it's (comparatively) short running time after the two previous albums topped 70 minutes and contained an abundance of filler amongst the good stuff.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Toto