Steve Perry Singing “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve Perry Singing “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:57 am

A Lite Rock 105 EXCLUSIVE >> HEAR Steve Perry’s version of “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”
Posted on December 17, 2018

http://www.literock105fm.com/2018/12/17 ... FztOCPPHuo
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Steve Perry Singing “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christ

Postby Marabelle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:58 am

That is worth hugs and kisses from all the sweeties out there in the world!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby chad » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 am

Wow...his voice sounds incredibly strong! Beautiful version.

Thank you for sharing this!
chad
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 am

Steve Perry @StevePerryMusic

https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/sta ... 2363198465

This has been a big year of firsts for me.

In keeping with that spirit, I thought I'd record a little Christmas card song and send it out to you to thank you for all of your kindness in welcoming me back. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. I hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 am

Steve Perry - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrt-wU ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am

Best I heard his voice since the Frontiers.
Very cool!
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 am

Love it. His voice was made for melodic, melancholy style music. Hope he does a full Christmas album someday.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:51 am

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Releases Cover Of 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'
December 17, 2018

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... christmas/

Former JOURNEY singer Steve Perry has released his cover version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", a song written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane, and first introduced by Judy Garland in the 1944 MGM musical "Meet Me In St. Louis".

Perry said in a statement: "This has been a big year of firsts for me. In keeping with that spirit, I thought I'd record a little Christmas card song and send it out to you to thank you for all of your kindness in welcoming me back. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. I hope you enjoy it."

Steve Perry - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvJ13PJmbpo

Perry's first solo album in more than two decades, "Traces", was released on October 5 via Fantasy Records (a division of Concord Records/UMG).

Perry reunited with JOURNEY for the first time in years as they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2017. The iconic singer appeared onstage with his former bandmates as they each gave speeches, but did not perform with the group later in the event.

During his speech, Perry praised each of JOURNEY musicians as well as the band's current singer, Arnel Pineda, who was not being inducted into the Rock Hall.

Perry's final full concert with JOURNEY took place in early 1987. He later rejoined his bandmates for a brief performance in 1991 to honor late concert promoter Bill Graham. He also appeared with JOURNEY when they received a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame in 2005.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Rumor has it, Steve is dropping his cover on Friday of the “The Christmas Song.”
Yes :?: No :?:
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:54 pm

The dude has become Rod Stewart. FK!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Steve Perry gifts fans with a Christmas song: "Thank you for all your kindness"

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-new ... 0l41i8anHk

Steve Perry has had a big year and he's thanking his fans with a little holiday gift.

This year, the former Journey frontman released Traces, his first new album of original material in 24 years. He writes on Twitter and Instagram, "This has been a big year of firsts for me. In keeping with that spirit, I thought I'd record a little Christmas card song and send it out to you to thank you for all of your kindness in welcoming me back. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. I hope you enjoy it."

Along with that message, he's posted a version of the holiday classic "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" that runs just under two minutes. You also can check out the track on his official YouTube channel.

So far, there's no word on whether or not Perry will follow up the album with a tour.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 am

Everytime i hear him sing now i keep expecting him to blow the roof off with the high notes. Sounds like he still could should he so choose. Oh to be a fly on the wall of his studio.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 am

Aaron wrote:The dude has become Rod Stewart. FK!

LOL! Sounds better than Rod.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 am

scarab wrote:Best I heard his voice since the Frontiers.

The idea that this in any way approaches the vocals on ROR or FTLOSM is just insane.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 am

He may not have the power or range he used to have, but he makes up for it with the emotion he puts into it. Not really a fan of Xmas music, but I am a fan of his voice :D :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Sighlence » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 am

perryfan61 wrote:He may not have the power or range he used to have, but he makes up for it with the emotion he puts into it.

I am hearing a constrained(restrained?), yet still powerful voice. As for the range part? That remains to be seen/heard. Although we hear a glimpse of it at 3:00 of We're Still Here. Most likely can't stay there like the days of yore, but i think he can still get there.
Last edited by Sighlence on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

The idea that this in any way approaches the vocals on ROR or FTLOSM is just insane.

True...
He has lost some range, which is to be expected.
But his voice today has a surreal tone to it that it didn't have before...Almost ethereal.
As said above, his voice today is suited for melodic, melancholy music with an occasional light rocker.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 am

People...the man kicked out a heart-felt holiday recording that he did in his home studio to say thank you. Cut the critical bullshit and accept it as the gift that it is.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Aaron wrote:The dude has become Rod Stewart. FK!

LOL! Sounds better than Rod.

I agree. Rod's voice is annoying and he's overrated. Perry is WAY better.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:16 am

I remember back in the day, late 80s I believe he sang Happy Birthday to a DJ, probably a one take which I am sure this version of Have yourself... was.
No worse no better. It is just cool he can still sing "live". I don;t think there is any studio magic on this one.
His voice and a piano.

Its just cool he is still out there, thought for sure we would not hear from him til next year if at all.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby ADALBL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am

For what its worth, Perry's highest recorded note ever sung is on the Traces album. He hits a B (and possibly a C) above High C on Sun Shines Gray in one of the background parts. I actually got geeky one day and checked it. Here are a few other songs I confirmed during my geeky fit:

Open Arms: F# - B just below High C
In The Rain: G - A below High C
Send Her My Love: G - B just below High C
Separate Ways: B - D above High C, (I think he sings an E above High C for a brief moment)
Who's Cryin' Now: A - A below High C
We're Still Here: A - A below High C
You Better Wait: C - B just below High C (he does hit High C twice for less than a second each time.
Mother, Father: D - E just above High C (The falsetto at the end goes as high as G above High C)
When You Love a Woman: G# - G# below High C

In know in some of the earlier albums there are some higher things going on also.

So I would say while yes, he is a bit lower, it's not like his keys have dropped through the floor or even that he has lowered them super significantly. In fact, in many cases, his keys are pretty much right where he left off on his last Journey and solo albums. I think some of what is going on is that his voice now has more "grit" to it which sometimes fools the ear into thinking he is sing much lower than he used to. He's really not.

Just thought I'd share...
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 am

Art Vandelay wrote:People...the man kicked out a heart-felt holiday recording that he did in his home studio to say thank you. Cut the critical bullshit and accept it as the gift that it is.

So criticism isn't allowed - yet you just described the song as "heartfelt" and a "gift." Sounds like you are critiquing it yourself. Stop being a hypocrite and telling people what to do on a discussion forum.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sighlence » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

ADALBL wrote:I actually got geeky one day and checked it.

Good stuff, and thank you for sharing. How exactly did you check to see what notes he hits in various songs?
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby ADALBL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 pm

I sat at a keyboard in my home studio and played along with the vocal melody and just jotted it down. Very manual and old school. I don't have the gift of perfect pitch so I need a piano. It's simple to do.
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:30 am

Have heard this twice today once on terrestrial radio and once at the grocery store.
(Right after Bryan Adams "Something about Christmas Time") Havent heard the latter in ages. Good tune.

In just a couple days its at almost 60,000 views on youtube.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:27 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:People...the man kicked out a heart-felt holiday recording that he did in his home studio to say thank you. Cut the critical bullshit and accept it as the gift that it is.

So criticism isn't allowed - yet you just described the song as "heartfelt" and a "gift." Sounds like you are critiquing it yourself. Stop being a hypocrite and telling people what to do on a discussion forum.

I was referencing the gesture...not critiquing the song.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Gina3008 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:49 am

What a great unexpected Christmas gift and a beautiful Christmas song. Thank you Steve.
Gina3008
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:21 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I was referencing the gesture...not critiquing the song.

Dude, it's Steve Perry....of course fans are going to analyze the song. That means fans are passionate. It's a good thing.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Marabelle » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:48 am

It amazes me how sometimes the musician even questions the impact his songs will have on the listener and how their music resonates to each of us! It brings back cherished memories, faces and situations; wintry weather...hot chocolate and marshmallows, happy smiles, cold kisses, boots, coats, scarves, mittens... Simply beautiful and it will be long lasting to the listener! Maybe even turning into a classic for Christmas. It might not seem to be of out of the ordinary for the singer and something he might not ordinarily sing but he hit it out of the ballpark with this Christmas carol. Merry Christmas! I know it's my second comment but it's not my second listen to the song and I am loving every moment of it!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:49 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Maybe that's the way this album resonates with Scarab. AND to me too.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Next

Return to Steve Perry