former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off show

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off show

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am

Organizers gearing up for Sock Out Cancer benefit concert

https://wbng.com/news/local-news/2019/0 ... t-concert/

April 11, 2019

(WBNG) — Music: it brings us all together while also letting us forget the worries of life for just a bit. That’s exactly what the Sock Out Cancer concert does, all while supporting an amazing cause.

“We are rocking the 80’s tomorrow night. We’re going to have singers from Santana and Journey, backed up by a fantastic nationally-known band as well,” said UHS Foundation Director Cory Jacobs.

About 850 tickets have been sold as of Thursday, with the goal of reaching 1,000 for Friday’s concert. Proceeds from the remaining tickets will go directly to local families fighting cancer.

“The important part is we already have cost of the act already covered, so the band has been paid for. So every ticket that is now sold, those dollars are going to be given directly to the cause,” said Security Mutual Life Insurance CEO Bruce Boyea.
The concert begins at 8 p.m. at the Broome County Forum Theatre, with former Santana lead singer Alex Ligertwood and former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off the show. The show always inspires concertgoers and organizers alike.

“When they know that they can receive Sock Out Cancer funding, they are just completely overwhelmed. They love the support. They appreciate it and the thank you notes we get are amazing. Sometimes, you know, this money even keeps people in their apartments,” said Jacobs.

It’s not just about the financial support, Sock Out Cancer is all about an even larger cause.

“You have to be moved by the spirit of Sock Out Cancer. It’s much bigger than just the money. It’s much bigger than just the event. It’s connecting the head and the heart and connecting people in this great community,” said Boyea.

Tickets are still available for the concert and can be purchased at The Forum box office, where you’ll get a pair of socks as well, or by calling 607-338-7625.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Lora » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 am

tater1977 wrote:Organizers gearing up for Sock Out Cancer benefit concert

https://wbng.com/news/local-news/2019/0 ... t-concert/

April 11, 2019

(WBNG) — Music: it brings us all together while also letting us forget the worries of life for just a bit. That’s exactly what the Sock Out Cancer concert does, all while supporting an amazing cause.

“We are rocking the 80’s tomorrow night. We’re going to have singers from Santana and Journey, backed up by a fantastic nationally-known band as well,” said UHS Foundation Director Cory Jacobs.

About 850 tickets have been sold as of Thursday, with the goal of reaching 1,000 for Friday’s concert. Proceeds from the remaining tickets will go directly to local families fighting cancer.

“The important part is we already have cost of the act already covered, so the band has been paid for. So every ticket that is now sold, those dollars are going to be given directly to the cause,” said Security Mutual Life Insurance CEO Bruce Boyea.
The concert begins at 8 p.m. at the Broome County Forum Theatre, with former Santana lead singer Alex Ligertwood and former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off the show. The show always inspires concertgoers and organizers alike.

“When they know that they can receive Sock Out Cancer funding, they are just completely overwhelmed. They love the support. They appreciate it and the thank you notes we get are amazing. Sometimes, you know, this money even keeps people in their apartments,” said Jacobs.

It’s not just about the financial support, Sock Out Cancer is all about an even larger cause.

“You have to be moved by the spirit of Sock Out Cancer. It’s much bigger than just the money. It’s much bigger than just the event. It’s connecting the head and the heart and connecting people in this great community,” said Boyea.

Tickets are still available for the concert and can be purchased at The Forum box office, where you’ll get a pair of socks as well, or by calling 607-338-7625.


Alex Ligertwood was one of my favorite Santana vocalists. Kevin Chalfant was never the singer for Journey, no matter how many times and ways he tries to put it out there. I was at the Herbie roast that he played with Journey. It wasn't a Journey concert. He was never officially in the band. Maybe it's the promoter of this event who is putting it out there and not actually Kevin. Either way, it's lame.
User avatar
Lora
8 Track
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:59 am

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 am

KC never had a signed contract with Journey. He performed, what, once at a charity benefit
with the band for Herbie's bday. Does that make you the lead singer of Journey :?:
By this theory then, I guess Michael Bolton could say he was also the lead singer of
Journey.
Does KC think that this is his only claim to fame :?:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks Lora. The concert's for a good cause, but at some point these guys have to
correct it. Just reminds me of Andy Avery's crap, but at least KC sang with them
once. :|
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:17 pm

To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:03 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.

A lot of ppl have co-wrote with Journey, but don't remember seeing any of them being advertised
as Journeys lead singer. Exception Jeremey.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 pm

tater1977 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.

A lot of ppl have co-wrote with Journey, but don't remember seeing any of them being advertised
as Journeys lead singer. Exception Jeremey.


Valid point. Ross's wife Diane cowrote Wheel in the Sky, which is one of their hits. Doesn't validate her as an honorary member.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm

tater1977 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.

A lot of ppl have co-wrote with Journey, but don't remember seeing any of them being advertised
as Journeys lead singer. Exception Jeremey.


Other writers, like Jack Blades, were never going to be in Perry's shoes. Herbie Herbert anointed Kevin as Perry's natural successor. Combine that with his time with Journey spin-off The Storm, and I'm sort of willing to give him a pass. Kevin's got to eat!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 pm

By KCs theory, Travis Thibodaux – keyboards, backing vocals ands has sang
a few lead songs, could go out and advertise himself as lead singer of
Journey.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:44 pm

tater1977 wrote:By KCs theory, Travis Thibodaux – keyboards, backing vocals ands has sang
a few lead songs, could go out and advertise himself as lead singer of
Journey.


Technically, yes. So could Deen.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.

A lot of ppl have co-wrote with Journey, but don't remember seeing any of them being advertised
as Journeys lead singer. Exception Jeremey.

Other writers, like Jack Blades, were never going to be in Perry's shoes. Herbie Herbert anointed Kevin as Perry's natural successor. Combine that with his time with Journey spin-off The Storm, and I'm sort of willing to give him a pass. Kevin's got to eat!

Herbie may have anointed him that time as Perry's natural successor , but it didn't happen .
He was never employed as the lead singer in Journey.
JTT is a spin off too of Journey, but they're not advertising Deen as lead singer of Journey.
I would give Travis more of a pass then KC.
Travis has to eat too.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:45 am

Does anybody know how far talks actually got with Chalfant? Wasn't the idea being floated that he would front a reunited Journey that would include both Rolie and Cain, and Smith and/or Dunbar?

The suggestion was addressed during Perry's MuchMusic interview, that Journey were attempting to reunite with a singer who had a similar style to his. Did this ever get to an actual contract signing point before Perry rejoined, or was it all just hype from the roast?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby scarab » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am

My guess is the talks got pretty far as they wrote songs together and Chlafant already had a history with Rolie,Valory and Smith.
And seeing that he recorded Fly2Freedom (a Journey cover album), makes me think that his brief time with the guys from Journey still resonated him.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am

Journey would have been much better off going with Chalfant than Augeri. They were pretty close vocally, but Chalfant was a far superior song writer. KC, JC and Neal could have written some great stuff.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7842
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 am

Anyone know if KC ever recorded, one of the songs he wrote with Journey,
on any of his solo LPs :?:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby scarab » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ruoiGD7ADo

great song, written in 1995 ish? And I believe its a Rolie/Schon/Chalfant song written for Journey.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am

scarab wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ruoiGD7ADo

great song, written in 1995 ish? And I believe its a Rolie/Schon/Chalfant song written for Journey.

It's a good song. Didn't know that was one they wrote. Thanks.
Wonder now if he would have had the vocal stamina to do a 100 plus
concerts a year,for 5 years, like SP did .
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Journey2Infinity » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:51 am

KC has been riding the coattails of Journey since The Storm. When The Storm came out, everyone thought it was either Perry or new Journey at first. He was compared to or mistaken for Perry and has been taking advantage of it since. He's a great vocalist, but he's very arrogant and unoriginal. I remember him saying he had songs in his sock drawer, written with Neal, that were better than anything on Trial By Fire. Oh yeah? Let's hear them! Why hasn't Neal / Journey recorded them? Give me a break. KC just needs to go away.
Journey2Infinity
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:56 am

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 am

Journey2Infinity wrote:KC has been riding the coattails of Journey since The Storm. When The Storm came out, everyone thought it was either Perry or new Journey at first. He was compared to or mistaken for Perry and has been taking advantage of it since. He's a great vocalist, but he's very arrogant and unoriginal. I remember him saying he had songs in his sock drawer, written with Neal, that were better than anything on Trial By Fire. Oh yeah? Let's hear them! Why hasn't Neal / Journey recorded them? Give me a break. KC just needs to go away.


This is pretty harsh. Up until his Journey tribute band, I don't think he's really taken advantage of the Perry similarities. He's tried to differentiate himself with solo endeavors like Running With The Wind and even a Christian album. The Storm actually had Journey members in it, so of course comparisons were inevitable.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:To be fair, KC also wrote with the band prior to SP's return for TBF.

A lot of ppl have co-wrote with Journey, but don't remember seeing any of them being advertised
as Journeys lead singer. Exception Jeremey.


Other writers, like Jack Blades, were never going to be in Perry's shoes. Herbie Herbert anointed Kevin as Perry's natural successor. Combine that with his time with Journey spin-off The Storm, and I'm sort of willing to give him a pass. Kevin's got to eat!


Chalfant also was in The VU with Ross Valory and Prairie Prince. Josh Ramos was also on a couple of songs from The VU album.

So Chalfant does have a Journey background history between the show that he did with them, the songs that he wrote with them, having worked with Rolie, Smith and Valory in The Storm, having worked with Valory and Prairie Prince in The VU, and his Journey tribute album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby tater1977 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm

[/quote]Chalfant also was in The VU with Ross Valory and Prairie Prince. Josh Ramos was also on a couple of songs from The VU album.

So Chalfant does have a Journey background history between the show that he did with them, the songs that he wrote with them, having worked with Rolie, Smith and Valory in The Storm, having worked with Valory and Prairie Prince in The VU, and his Journey tribute album.[/quote]


A lot of folks have worked with individuals from the band, but it doesn't
make them a member of Journey or their lead singer.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:51 am

tater1977 wrote:A lot of folks have worked with individuals from the band, but it doesn't
make them a member of Journey or their lead singer.


Some assorted quotes from Kevin on his affiliation with Journey -

"Well… first of all, JOURNEY are friends of mine. If they asked me, I would do it. They haven’t. At one time, Herbie Herbert would have loved to place me in the band to keep it going making hit records... he has told me that, but Herbie doesn’t manage the band anymore. He is retired and living in paradise. I speak with those guys once in a while, like I said, we are friends. I do not speak for them so I am not sure what kind of answer you are hoping for from me. I can only tell you how I see it. I had the opportunity of singing with JOURNEY on one occasion in Oct. of 1993 at “Bimbo’s” in San Francisco for a benefit. It was awesome and we sounded great together! As long as I have breath, I will keep singing. If they called me today, I would hop a plane and go because I think their music is second to none… except maybe THE BEATLES."

"We started working on a record together," Chalfant says during a telephone interview. "We started writing songs. ... I don't know how Steve felt about it, but I'm sure it wasn't something that rested very easy with him because he came out of retirement."

"With Journey, basically I was already working with Ross (Valory) in a band called The Vu, and I was working with Ross, Greg (Rolie) and Steve Smith in a band called The Storm. And when it came down about Journey, Herbie Herbert had given his blessing to have a not-for-profit organization in San Francisco do a roast. They were going to roast Herbie Herbert and a lot of celebrities were going to be there. The money they raised was going to help inner city kids have mentors in whatever field they think they want to go into. It keeps the kids out of trouble and puts them on the right path. So everybody agreed and The Storm was already going to do it, and Journey wanted to do it but Steve (Perry) is in the studio making a record and he won’t do it, so they said “How about you? You want to do it?” And I’m like “Can I get back to you in about three seconds. Sure” It was a comfortable fit; I was already working with half of them and it was a no-brainer. It’s still a no-brainer. It’s such a no-brainer that I always think that at some point I might get a call because they just can’t turn a few gigs down or something, and Arnel has got a cold, or Steve Augieri’s got a cold. I’m always thinking the phone’s going to ring and sometimes it does ring. “Hey, we’re gonna be in Chicago” and I still go and I hang out cause they have awesome deli trays. There’s usually a glass of tequila at the end of the night and they’ve got their own cappuccino machine for before the show and nighttime caps at the end. Hanging out with the rock stars."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 am

tater1977 wrote:
Chalfant also was in The VU with Ross Valory and Prairie Prince. Josh Ramos was also on a couple of songs from The VU album.

So Chalfant does have a Journey background history between the show that he did with them, the songs that he wrote with them, having worked with Rolie, Smith and Valory in The Storm, having worked with Valory and Prairie Prince in The VU, and his Journey tribute album.[/quote]


A lot of folks have worked with individuals from the band, but it doesn't
make them a member of Journey or their lead singer.[/quote]

I wasn't saying that those things mean that Chalfant was a member of Journey. I just mean that he has a long history and association with Journey, and it's nowhere near as ridiculous for Chalfant's management to try to refer to him as a former Journey singer as it is for Andy Avery to claim that he was in Journey.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

Question for anyone here.

Which of these people has a right to claim that they were a member of Journey, and which ones don't?

Prairie Prince
Robert Fleischman
Stevie "Keys" Rosman
Randy Jackson
Michael Baird
Larrie Londin
Dan Hull
Bob Glaub
Megan Clearmountain
Steve Minkins
Omar Hakim
Kevin Chalfant
Jeff Scott Soto
Jeremey Hunsicker
Travis Thibodaux
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Arkansas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 am

Remember, there are various levels of affiliation with any band.
'Member', 'Touring Member', 'Studio Musician', 'Writer', 'Manager', etc.
And quite often, there are NDAs so you never really know who has done what.
Do we consider Herbie Herbert once part of the band? I think so.
Didn't Anton Fig play on Arrival? Yes. What is he?


later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:23 am
Location: duh?

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby scarab » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 am

I am pretty satisfied with this list, even though I dont believe Randy Jackson should be included, even though I love
his bass on After the Fall, and his bass on some of the ROR tracks and the last time I got to see Journey (with Perry) play live in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Journey_members

I love Chalfant, with 707, the Vu, and especially the Storm, but dont consider him a "member" of Journey. Even though unlike Andy Avery, he did perform at least one time with them.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Does anybody know how far talks actually got with Chalfant? Wasn't the idea being floated that he would front a reunited Journey that would include both Rolie and Cain, and Smith and/or Dunbar?

The suggestion was addressed during Perry's MuchMusic interview, that Journey were attempting to reunite with a singer who had a similar style to his. Did this ever get to an actual contract signing point before Perry rejoined, or was it all just hype from the roast?


Yes, it is true. There was a band meeting on one of the canceled FTLOSM Florida dates. After that meeting, Gregg, Chalfant and Herbie were out, and Perry was in. Essentially, with Perry coming back solo, Sony and Kalodner wanted the Escape lineup with the idea of marketing it the same as the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" reunion. So, IMO (guessing) they threw big $ at everybody and got what they wanted...but I don't think they got the results they wanted - a reunion as big as the Eagles. A platinum album and no tour and no follow up is not exactly what the Eagles did.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10238
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Journey2Infinity wrote:KC has been riding the coattails of Journey since The Storm. When The Storm came out, everyone thought it was either Perry or new Journey at first. He was compared to or mistaken for Perry and has been taking advantage of it since. He's a great vocalist, but he's very arrogant and unoriginal. I remember him saying he had songs in his sock drawer, written with Neal, that were better than anything on Trial By Fire. Oh yeah? Let's hear them! Why hasn't Neal / Journey recorded them? Give me a break. KC just needs to go away.


I'm sorry, but this is just bullshit. KC is a very humble dude...I chatted with him many times back prior to TBF. I remember telling him that the second Storm album sounded a bit less like Journey, and he said, "That's because we're not Journey." I don't think he liked all the constant comparisons to Perry back then and always wanted to be known for his own voice. I never thought he sounded like he was intentionally copying Perry...not like Hugo and some others, he sounds distinctly different to me.

As for riding Journey's coattails, I find Lora's comment a bit insulting and inaccurate. I have never read or heard Chalfant saying he was a member of Journey. He is obviously proud of his 15 minutes of fame singing with the band - and he should be. But, he has never used that in an "Andy Avery" sorta way, misrepresenting his relationship with Journey. The tribute band keeps him busy, touring and singing - so what. He doesn't do just Journey in those shows, but The Storm, and even Survivor (who he also has close ties to). He's lucky to still be able to tour, sing, and entertain...other singers at his age can't do that any longer.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10238
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby PianoMan1986 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Organizers gearing up for Sock Out Cancer benefit concert

https://wbng.com/news/local-news/2019/0 ... t-concert/

April 11, 2019

(WBNG) — Music: it brings us all together while also letting us forget the worries of life for just a bit. That’s exactly what the Sock Out Cancer concert does, all while supporting an amazing cause.

“We are rocking the 80’s tomorrow night. We’re going to have singers from Santana and Journey, backed up by a fantastic nationally-known band as well,” said UHS Foundation Director Cory Jacobs.

About 850 tickets have been sold as of Thursday, with the goal of reaching 1,000 for Friday’s concert. Proceeds from the remaining tickets will go directly to local families fighting cancer.

“The important part is we already have cost of the act already covered, so the band has been paid for. So every ticket that is now sold, those dollars are going to be given directly to the cause,” said Security Mutual Life Insurance CEO Bruce Boyea.
The concert begins at 8 p.m. at the Broome County Forum Theatre, with former Santana lead singer Alex Ligertwood and former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off the show. The show always inspires concertgoers and organizers alike.

“When they know that they can receive Sock Out Cancer funding, they are just completely overwhelmed. They love the support. They appreciate it and the thank you notes we get are amazing. Sometimes, you know, this money even keeps people in their apartments,” said Jacobs.

It’s not just about the financial support, Sock Out Cancer is all about an even larger cause.

“You have to be moved by the spirit of Sock Out Cancer. It’s much bigger than just the money. It’s much bigger than just the event. It’s connecting the head and the heart and connecting people in this great community,” said Boyea.

Tickets are still available for the concert and can be purchased at The Forum box office, where you’ll get a pair of socks as well, or by calling 607-338-7625.


Alex Ligertwood was one of my favorite Santana vocalists. Kevin Chalfant was never the singer for Journey, no matter how many times and ways he tries to put it out there. I was at the Herbie roast that he played with Journey. It wasn't a Journey concert. He was never officially in the band. Maybe it's the promoter of this event who is putting it out there and not actually Kevin. Either way, it's lame.


Hey Lora, just out of curiosity, what was that performance like at the roast?
PianoMan1986
LP
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Was Kevin good Lora? I'd love to here that show. I always thought if SP wasn't down Chalfant would be really good.

Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Organizers gearing up for Sock Out Cancer benefit concert

https://wbng.com/news/local-news/2019/0 ... t-concert/

April 11, 2019

(WBNG) — Music: it brings us all together while also letting us forget the worries of life for just a bit. That’s exactly what the Sock Out Cancer concert does, all while supporting an amazing cause.

“We are rocking the 80’s tomorrow night. We’re going to have singers from Santana and Journey, backed up by a fantastic nationally-known band as well,” said UHS Foundation Director Cory Jacobs.

About 850 tickets have been sold as of Thursday, with the goal of reaching 1,000 for Friday’s concert. Proceeds from the remaining tic/kets will go directly to local families fighting cancer.

“The important part is we already have cost of the act already covered, so the band has been paid for. So every ticket that is now sold, those dollars are going to be given directly to the cause,” said Security Mutual Life Insurance CEO Bruce Boyea.
The concert begins at 8 p.m. at the Broome County Forum Theatre, with former Santana lead singer Alex Ligertwood and former Journey lead vocalist Kevin Chalfant capping off the show. The show always inspires concertgoers and organizers alike.

“When they know that they can receive Sock Out Cancer funding, they are just completely overwhelmed. They love the support. They appreciate it and the thank you notes we get are amazing. Sometimes, you know, this money even keeps people in their apartments,” said Jacobs.

It’s not just about the financial support, Sock Out Cancer is all about an even larger cause.

“You have to be moved by the spirit of Sock Out Cancer. It’s much bigger than just the money. It’s much bigger than just the event. It’s connecting the head and the heart and connecting people in this great community,” said Boyea.

Tickets are still available for the concert and can be purchased at The Forum box office, where you’ll get a pair of socks as well, or by calling 607-338-7625.


Alex Ligertwood was one of my favorite Santana vocalists. Kevin Chalfant was never the singer for Journey, no matter how many times and ways he tries to put it out there. I was at the Herbie roast that he played with Journey. It wasn't a Journey concert. He was never officially in the band. Maybe it's the promoter of this event who is putting it out there and not actually Kevin. Either way, it's lame.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
User avatar
Aaron
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:55 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andrew, Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests