Arnel doing a little 'Foolish Heart'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:50 pm

https://www.facebook.com/bojie.yangco/v ... =3&theater
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Arnel doing a little 'Foolish Heart'

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:00 am

tater1977 wrote:Arnel doing a little 'Foolish Heart'

Sounds OK. Pronunciation on "heart" is pretty bad.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Arnel doing a little 'Foolish Heart'

Sounds OK. Pronunciation on "heart" is pretty bad.

Cheap shot, dude.
I think he sounds amazing, and he's not even trying here.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 am

FamilyMan wrote:Cheap shot, dude.

It's not a cheap shot AT ALL. He's been in the band for well over a decade and his diction is atrocious. He gets paid handsomely well and should take it seriously. According to insider reports, his diction became such an issue during the recording of Eclipse that he even offered to quit.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

It's not a cheap shot AT ALL. He's been in the band for well over a decade and his diction is atrocious. He gets paid handsomely well and should take it seriously. According to insider reports, his diction became such an issue during the recording of Eclipse that he even offered to quit.

Journey is an international touring act. To suggest he needs to assimilate to American English is ignorant.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:08 am

FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Journey is an international touring act. To suggest he needs to assimilate to American English is ignorant.

Oh boy.... :roll:
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 pm

FamilyMan wrote:Journey is an international touring act. To suggest he needs to assimilate to American English is ignorant.

To use your loaded and inaccurate language, isn't Arnel "assimilating" to sound like an American rock singer?
Also, can you please email Kevin Shirley and tell him he was being ignorant when he got rid of the diction issues on Revelation (disc 1) and Eclipse?
Thanks.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby brywool » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:52 am

Geez, he's in a hotel room on his own time here. It's not a formal performance. It's not a recording session.
Arnel seems to be the only member the band that hasn't gone off the rails and he's more than stepped up.
I say cut him some slack while he's walking 'round his room singing the tune. If he does it live, then I guess you have a point, but the 'issue' seems pretty minor here. Maybe he's f'ing with vowel placement to find where he gets the best feel in his head... Who knows? I think's it's unfair to beat up on him here. It's a run though, not a 'performance'.

Man, I personally hate the invasion of cell phones into every single aspect of performance. Sometimes people have an off night. Sometimes people are just rehearsing or learning the words. Sometimes a cell phone in their face can actually make the performer screw up. It's like having someone looking over your shoulder while you're doing your taxes. Not a fan at all of it.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:10 am

brywool wrote:Geez, he's in a hotel room on his own time here. It's not a formal performance. It's not a recording session.
Arnel seems to be the only member the band that hasn't gone off the rails and he's more than stepped up.
I say cut him some slack while he's walking 'round his room singing the tune. If he does it live, then I guess you have a point, but the 'issue' seems pretty minor here. Maybe he's f'ing with vowel placement to find where he gets the best feel in his head... Who knows? I think's it's unfair to beat up on him here. It's a run though, not a 'performance'.

Man, I personally hate the invasion of cell phones into every single aspect of performance. Sometimes people have an off night. Sometimes people are just rehearsing or learning the words. Sometimes a cell phone in their face can actually make the performer screw up. It's like having someone looking over your shoulder while you're doing your taxes. Not a fan at all of it.

I take it you haven't heard their most recent release - Escape/Frontiers Japan 2017 cd/dvd.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby brywool » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
I take it you haven't heard their most recent release - Escape/Frontiers Japan 2017 cd/dvd.

I thought we were talking about a hotel room recording here.
Nope, I haven't heard it yet- debating on getting it. Not due to Arnel's diction, but more because I don't think I need yet another live version of those same tracks. Nor do I need to see the tension on stage between a couple of the principle members (though seeing Smith on drums again would be cool). Eh, I'll probably get it because I'm a sucker for it. :) That being said, I know that Arnel is not American and is not SP. I've known it since he joined the band. He's going to sound like nobody but himself (in spite of what people say about him sounding 'just like Perry' - he doesn't). I'm cool with that. Augeri (who I know you're a big fan of, TNC) had his issues too but I still liked him, especially the recorded stuff. Singing live is not easy- especially as you get older, and 50+ for this type of music is definitely 'older'. Perry, in the Dan Rather interview the other day, had some spot on quotes about the voice and how there are just days where it's a bit out of our control and how he can't get what he wants out of it sometimes. I would bet AP agrees. I know I freaking do. To me, AP's not limping along in the Journey gig. He's doing a pretty darned good job with one of the hardest catalogs in the biz. His pronunciation on some things might be a bit distracting (Tahntra VS Tantra in the same tune) but it's not the end of the world, nor does it make him unworthy of the gig. Just my opinion.
If we look or listen to something long enough, we can definitely find stuff to pick apart. When I watch that video, I'm thinking "Jesus, HOW does this guy sing THIS QUIET at this range???" Drives me crazy how he can do that. I was probably concentrating on that while u were concentrating on the accent. Eh, love the guy. He's been a great member of the band as far as I'm concerned. I would bet you, TNC that Arnel is much harder on his performances that anyone is. Think of what he's doing- singing this super high shit, in a completely different language, and filling the shoes of one of the best singers to ever walk the planet. Wish I had 1/2 the guy's talent, not to mention courage. Damn.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 pm

brywool wrote:I was probably concentrating on that while u were concentrating on the accent.

I wasn't concentrating on anything. I clicked the link, listened, and gave my opinion. I said it was OK. I agree with the rest of your post regarding the unpredictability of the human voice. As for Augeri....on a technical level he is not even in Arnel's league. I like both AP and SA. We should be allowed to share our opinions freely on here. Let's stop ascribing xenophobic motives and take posts on face value.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Return to Journey