Joe Williams doing Star Search in 1983-1984

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Joe Williams doing Star Search in 1983-1984

Postby Sundet » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 am

Some really cool footage on Youtube from Joe Williams' appearances on Star Search back in 1983-84. While you can certainly tell that Joe has since developed his vocal style, this is still pretty impressive to say it the least. As his brother Mark says, "Joseph's a natural born singer".

Here's Joe's take on Heart to Heart by Kenny Loggins. There is some other stuff on there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZgLQNansMU
Sundet
Ol' 78

Re: Joe Williams doing Star Search in 1983-1984

Postby RonaldDupris » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

I'm very curious why Joe never had a successful solo career. I thought he was a total package. He had the voice, the songwriting ability, the stage presence, the charisma, and the family connections. Yet, his solo career went absolutely nowhere.

I mean shit, his solo albums don't even have Wikipedia pages FFS, that's how unknown they are :?
RonaldDupris
Radio Waves

Postby Sundet » Tue May 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Well obviously most of his solo albums have only been released in Japan, so that would explain their obscurity. Moreover, the mid-1990s was probably not the best time to restart his solo career, which probably explains why he moved onto scoring for film & TV (i.e. Roswell) for the better part of 15 years. As for his pre-Toto days, I guess success, even in the 1980s, came down to chance and marketing. MCA didn't exactly give his first album a major push and after that it seems to have been pretty much about getting songs placed on various soundtracks (i.e. Body by Jake, Goonies and a few others) as well as doing stunts like Star Search. At one point he also did a musical in Vegas and around 1984 he also toured with Jeffrey Osborne, which might have been to secure a bit of income. I remember Joe Williams describing how he, when he auditioned for Toto, was living in a motel and was essentially broke (although I guess Joe more than many others may have had a bit of a safety net under him in financial terms).
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 am

Awesome. I still enjoy watching old concert vids online from Fahrenheit tour.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Fahrenheit was the only album I really got into (or tried to). It was a big change up for me from going from 80s hard rock but I really got into it. Yeah the two main hits were great but Til the End blew me away and the whole 2nd side was really good (which I think Williams sang all the leads). The album kinda had a Chicago 17 feel. (Which was great)
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 17, 2019 10:53 am

scarab wrote:Fahrenheit was the only album I really got into (or tried to).

You don't dig The Seventh One?!? :shock:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 am

Loved Pamela at the time but I shifted back into the 80s hard rock and sadly "hair bands" at the time.
Looking at Wiki on he could no longer sing due to drug use? any truth to that? and was fired.

Did he ever sing for them again after this?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 pm

scarab wrote:Loved Pamela at the time but I shifted back into the 80s hard rock and sadly "hair bands" at the time.
Looking at Wiki on he could no longer sing due to drug use? any truth to that? and was fired.

Did he ever sing for them again after this?

He's been their lead singer since the band reformed in 2010.

https://youtu.be/s021m2C7-aI

https://youtu.be/zESGsOxGqUM
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Toto