'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:21 am

One more thing I wanted to throw down here: The Sandman on NetFlix.

Neither of you talk about it much. Gaiman is one of the best writers of our generation and I did not know he did a comic book until recently. In fact, it was probably the most popular series DC produced at that time. I find that pretty incredible that is ignored in favor of the various things on HBOMax or "The Batman", or Flash, etc.

What I also find ironic is The Sandman will also bring in crossover character...not just the obvious like Lucifer (meaning the ex-FOX and now NetFlix series), but also Constantine, and even Gotham villans.

The story itself I find so much more interesting than what the rest of DC is doing. Gaiman knows how to tell an intriguing story in a very creative and interesting way. The god of dreams, Morpheus, restoring his domain, his sister Death, the rest of the Endless. It just seems much, much more interesting than multiple Batman's in a Flash movie. The Sandman is going to be much more interesting than that. I can't wait to see this.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am

I don't talk about Sandman...at all. I've never been into it. Not into Gaiman's stuff. Glad you like it.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 am

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Yeah, so?

Yeah, so :lol: Zack said it's probably longer than his 214. 4 fucking hours is insane. Eat it.

That's not 'insane' at all. It is basically an extended cut of a movie. It would be insane if it were a 10hr long series. This is just realistic and basically what I expected when it was announced.

It IS "insane." It's going be a very different movie tonally, thematically, aesthetically...the whole enchilada, dude. All Whedon-isms to be erased with extreme prejudice! :lol:

Monker wrote:I'm sure there will be scenes reshot and new scenes filmed. With the insane budget ATT put up, there better be.

A four hour long JL movie on HBOMax is no more insane then the extended cuts of the various LotR movies.

There you go! Come on over to Camp Snyder.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:30 am

verslibre wrote:It IS "insane." It's going be a very different movie tonally, thematically, aesthetically...the whole enchilada, dude. All Whedon-isms to be erased with extreme prejudice! :lol:

A 4hr "special edition" of a movie is NOT 'insane'. I was not comment on how different it will be.

There you go! Come on over to Camp Snyder.

Yes, the BUDGET is 'insane'. The budget they are giving this could have funded a few entire series of projects. It is 'insane' because if it fails, it means that HBOMax fails. And, by "fails", I mean attracting and keeping HBOMax subscribers in numbers to compete with NetFlix and Disney+. That is a huge risk...and frankly I doubt most people are going to subscribe to HBOMax for 4hrs of Snyder cut JL.

DC seems to want a "Mandolorian" moment...the problem with that is, IMO, the success of Mandoloran was not foreseen or calculated, predicted, etc...Disney+ seemed more focused on Marvel and their series than SW and Mandoloran. They just got lucky...and a baby Yoda. There is no "baby Yoda", "must see" bit from JL that I can see....except for a subset of comic book nerds whose size is way overrated.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:40 am

And, BTW, i just saw that HBOMax is behind Disney+, and both a dwarfed by Netflix, in number of subscribers:

Disney+ - 60.5 Million (as of 8/1)
HBOMax - 36.5 Million (as of 7/28)
NetFlix - 192.8 Million (2nd quarter 2020), and added 26 million the first half of 2020.

At that rate, HBO is a third rate streaming service, and even Disney+ is second rate. Netflix is twice as large as those two COMBINED. That's just crazy.

And, Tenet did "meh" at the theater...which I kinda expected. I would expect WW84 to either be pushed into next year or moved to HBOMax. Same for Black Widow...pushed back or moved to Disney+ Premium.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:24 am

IMO, Dune is the movie that is going to bring people back to the theater. Not the pomp and nostalgia of Wonder Woman 1984, or the marvel of Black Widow. Definitely not the 'whatever' of Tenet. Dune is going to be the epic spectacle and story that is going to get people to buy a ticket.

I agree, WW84 will move to release in December. Dune will release Spring of next year and be the first huge hit since the pandemic hit.

First trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:01 am

Monker wrote:IMO, Dune is the movie that is going to bring people back to the theater. Not the pomp and nostalgia of Wonder Woman 1984, or the marvel of Black Widow. Definitely not the 'whatever' of Tenet. Dune is going to be the epic spectacle and story that is going to get people to buy a ticket.

I agree, WW84 will move to release in December. Dune will release Spring of next year and be the first huge hit since the pandemic hit.

That's some sketchy reporting, dude. Barely any theaters have reopened out here (CA) and those that are starting to are forced to limit capacity. And this is a huge market.

The "pandemic" is what is throttling theatrical performances, not the films themselves. People want to hit the theaters.

I hear only good things about Tenet.

There's no way to gauge how Dune will do. Look what happened to Blade Runner 2049.

Rest assured, there's plenty of interest in Wonder Woman 1984.

But, yes, you did say "IMO"...
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:IMO, Dune is the movie that is going to bring people back to the theater. Not the pomp and nostalgia of Wonder Woman 1984, or the marvel of Black Widow. Definitely not the 'whatever' of Tenet. Dune is going to be the epic spectacle and story that is going to get people to buy a ticket.

That's some sketchy reporting, dude. Barely any theaters have reopened out here (CA) and those that are starting to are forced to limit capacity. And this is a huge market.

The "pandemic" is what is throttling theatrical performances, not the films themselves. People want to hit the theaters.

Of course it is the virus. But, there is no evidence that 'people want to hit the theaters' RIGHT NOW. That is just an opinion.
My opinion is that right now people would rather wait for these films to go to streaming rather then sit in a theater with a mask on and social distancing, etc.

I hear only good things about Tenet.

Then I am sure you have heard that WB is going to lose money over it. I'm not commenting on whether it is a good movie or not. The simple fact is that it was essentially DOA.

There's no way to gauge how Dune will do. Look what happened to Blade Runner 2049.

Not as fact. But, IMO, it is the only one of these new releases that is truly an epic and a "must see" at a theater. instead of streaming. It is also the type of story that can really resonate with the times we live in - if it is told correctly. The politics, the failed leadership and plans within plans, the addiction to a static way the universe survives and breaking free of that. If it is told correctly it could be a massive hit for our time.

The last film I felt was this way was Lotr:RotK. Of course Avatar was the same way. WW84 and Tenet may have some cool scenes and SFX, but they are not near as epic as those films, or how Dune should be.

The trailer proved to me that Denis knows what he is doing with the story and it is going to be something special. IMO, it was aimed at people who know Dune to kinda prove exactly that...and to excite them. Hopefully the next trailer shows how epic this story really is. It is much more than what David Lynch gave is in the 80's.

Blade Runner was a very genre specific sequel that did not brake beyond its fanbase. It's not a bad movie. In fact, it is really good. But it is also not something the masses could easily relate to. So, its audience was limited to Bladerunner cult fans and SciFi nerds...it did not go beyond that.

"Arrival" was the same way...in fact, "Arrival" was one of the best scifi movies released in decades. But, the story was also very scifi nerdy and the masses could not really relate well to it.

Rest assured, there's plenty of interest in Wonder Woman 1984.

Sure there is. By the time it is released at Christmas, it will be delayed for over a year. IMO, it would help WB and ATT to move it to HBOMax to help get people to sign up. IMO, right now, it is essentially a break even film...I can't see it making much money. Again, I feel the same way about "Black Widow"...release it on Disney+ Premium.

And, I think they should move Dune to next March or so...I think December is too early to release it. The decision to add the trailer to Tenet was probably made long ago and maybe that is why they are sticking to their December release date.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 am

Henry Cavill has signed a new five-film deal! Here come Man of Steel 2 & 3.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:41 am

Hey Monker,

Eat more shit:

Zack Snyder planning new Justice League Shoots
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ium=social
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Zack Snyder planning new Justice League Shoots

"ACTION!!"

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:45 am

The Nevers - LOL! Is anyone paying attention to what that doof is doing? He's history.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Hey Monker,

Eat more shit:

Zack Snyder planning new Justice League Shoots

It's not the 8hrs of content that you were saying not too long ago. Like I said, he's just doing what it takes to tell his original story...nothing more.

And, if JS:JL does not bring in a lot of subscribers to HBOMax, then it failed. They invested way too much money into this thing for it to not help out one of the least subscribed to streaming services out there.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Shut the fuck up Monker you venomous snake. I never, ever once said "8hrs" of anything you fuck. I've consistently said "4-6 hrs" of content and just speculated givin that Zack's films are notoriously long and he could EASILY provide that many hours if needed. Don't twist things dicksplash. Eat it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Zack Snyder's JL budgeted at $70 million. Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot and Ray Fisher to return for week long additional photography.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-s ... aign=SR-TW
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:02 pm

verslibre wrote:Henry Cavill has signed a new five-film deal! Here come Man of Steel 2 & 3.

He's back! Signed, sealed and fucking DELIVERED. That 'ugggeee announcement will come in time.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:43 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Henry Cavill has signed a new five-film deal! Here come Man of Steel 2 & 3.

He's back! Signed, sealed and fucking DELIVERED. That 'ugggeee announcement will come in time.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:45 am

Monker wrote:And, if JS:JL does not bring in a lot of subscribers to HBOMax, then it failed. They invested way too much money into this thing for it to not help out one of the least subscribed to streaming services out there.

Rest assured, when ZSJL goes live, a LOT of people are going to sign up to watch it.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:And, if JS:JL does not bring in a lot of subscribers to HBOMax, then it failed. They invested way too much money into this thing for it to not help out one of the least subscribed to streaming services out there.

Rest assured, when ZSJL goes live, a LOT of people are going to sign up to watch it.

If HBOMax is not available on ROKU, Amazon Fire, and LG TV's, it's not going to matter much. You are very presumptuous of the numbers of people : that care, will be willing to put up with HBOMax limited devices, and that they will stick around past their free time.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:34 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Shut the fuck up Monker you venomous snake. I never, ever once said "8hrs" of anything you fuck. I've consistently said "4-6 hrs" of content and just speculated givin that Zack's films are notoriously long and he could EASILY provide that many hours if needed. Don't twist things dicksplash. Eat it.

Correct, and you are extended it way past what Snyder has said. He wants to finish his vision, not extend it to a six hour mini-series as you dream. It is his "directors cut" of JL...4hrs - YES, more than that - NO, was never going to happen. All you had to do was read and/or listen to what Snyder himself has said.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:

Oh, you mean the cameo in Shazam 2 will actually happen this time? He'll have a cameo in Flash?

Right now, all that is certain is cameos. If it happens, so what...unless he drops The Witcher, I really couldn't care less about MOS2.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:06 am

Hmmm, Wonder Woman 84 may be delayed, again. Maybe they should put it into a vault and release it in 2184...when a universal vaccine for all viruses will be made, and the year in the title will be doubly relevant.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:03 am

So, in their effort to boost HBOMax, WB and ATT have basically alienated themselves from the entire movie industry, pissing off Nolan, Villeneuve , Gunn, the directors guild, Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Keanu Reeves, Hugh Jackman and Angelina Jolie

Basically, they made a deal to move WW84 to HBOMax and release it to theaters at the same time, and everybody got paid. Then they decide to release ALL of 2021 movies to streaming and theaters at the same time...without making the same type of deals with any of those movies, which means the amount of money made by those involved with those movies is limited..no bonuses due to ticket sales, etc. HUGE public criticism by Nolan and Villeneuve and the directors guild threatening to boycott WB.

Then Disney announces all of their projects for SW and Marvel, both in theaters and on Disney+.

WB, ATT and HBOMAx look like complete idiots.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:38 am

So WB look like idiots but Disney will probably do the same thing, Bias much, dude? :lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 pm

verslibre wrote:So WB look like idiots but Disney will probably do the same thing, Bias much, dude? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the entire point. They are NOT doing the same thing. In all of there announcements, Disney is NOT releasing to streaming and theaters at the same time in the same way as HBOMax. There is only one animated movie being released to Disney Premium, which is NOT the same thing because you have to pay an extra fee to watch Disney Premium. There is absolutely no indication that Disney is going to release their movies to Disney+ and theaters at the same time. Black Widow comes in May...there is NO Disney+ streaming announcement.

Given the lawsuits, threats of union boycotts, and pissed off actors and directors, that HBOMax has to deal with, I doubt any of the streaming services will do the same thing...not without making the same type of deal that HBOMax did for WW84...paying bonuses to the actors and directors.

IMO, the opposite is going to happen. Dune, The Matrix 4, Kong vs Godzilla will probably be in theaters only...Or, WB will have to pay actors and directors bonuses to keep them happy - and avoid industry boycotts.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Wow, seem that WW84 was a bit of a dud. Not much positive reaction at all...and a ton of negative.

This would not have been a massive, guaranteed, hit if it were released in normal (non-virus) circumstances. Hardly any action, no real "third act", boring. Not really a "sequel".

Like I said, nothing is guaranteed...and this one proved that.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:45 am

"Hardly any action"...dude, get real. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the movie was wall-to-wall action, Marvelites (like you) would say there's too much. Since they actually focused on story, now there's not enough action.

Boring? Are you sure you weren't too engrossed with your three-flavor popcorn tin, bruh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait till the ho-hum Black Widow movie gets here. My prediction is everyone will praise the hell out of it. At least I'm sure it will be better than the forgettable Captain Marvel.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:31 pm

verslibre wrote:"Hardly any action"...dude, get real. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the movie was wall-to-wall action, Marvelites (like you) would say there's too much. Since they actually focused on story, now there's not enough action.

Boring? Are you sure you weren't too engrossed with your three-flavor popcorn tin, bruh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait till the ho-hum Black Widow movie gets here. My prediction is everyone will praise the hell out of it. At least I'm sure it will be better than the forgettable Captain Marvel.

I was not giving my review because I have not seen it. What I am saying is there is a backlash against WW84. That is not my opinion, it is a fact.

Concentrating on story would not be a bad thing if the story was not boring and made sense. For example, Steve Trevor was brought back; for a sex scene, and for the payoff of Diana to have to give him up. Other than that, he was useless. Diana loses her powers but gains others, like the magical ability to make things invisible. The entire opening scene could have been deleted, which WB reported wanted to do.

The critique goes on and on.

This is just a bad movie, being compared to Harley Quinn.
Monker
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 am

Another stellar DC movie in WW84. Personally haven't heard 1 person that has liked it
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:53 am

RedWingFan wrote:Another stellar DC movie in WW84. Personally haven't heard 1 person that has liked it

But you know only three people outside your family, and one of them is the bartender. :P
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara