Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

And My answer Was NO!

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:42 am

Interesting Article From A Hawaii newspaper

Journey rescues vocalist from the Gap
By Derek Paiva
Advertiser Entertainment Writer

The story of Steve Augeri's invitation to replace Journey lead vocalist Steve Perry is almost cheesy enough to warrant its own Journey song.

Something along the lines of the never-lose-sight-of-your-dreams mantra of "Don't Stop Believin' " crossed with the equally hokey the-strong-will-survive optimism of "Still They Ride," maybe.

No disrespect to endearingly humble, relentlessly upbeat nice guy Augeri. But his recounting of how a failed musician went from Manhattan-area maintenance manager for Gap to vocalizing "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' " for thousands of Journey fans every night is storytelling on the higher levels of gouda.

Journey returns to Honolulu Saturday for only the second time with seven-year veteran Augeri on lead pipes instead of Perry. The band played two Blaisdell Arena shows on its last O'ahu visit in October 2002.

Augeri, 45, struggled in the music business for years before seeing his career peak and bottom out virtually overnight with the release of his band Tall Stories' major-label debut in 1993. The disc's misfortune? Cruising into record stores with already hopelessly passe arena rock at the same time labelmate Pearl Jam was amassing larger sales and media attention for its burgeoning grunge-rock masterpiece "Ten."

Tall Stories was dropped from Epic, and a depressed Augeri quit music for a nine-to-five job changing light bulbs, painting fitting rooms and fixing doorknobs at 30 Manhattan Gap stores.

So when founding Journey guitarist Neal Schon phoned two years later with an invitation to audition for Steve Perry's spot in the band, Augeri naturally thought he was being punk'd by a family member who was strangely into that sort of thing.

"I didn't blow him off entirely. But I didn't say 'yes' either," said Augeri. "Ten minutes later, (keyboardist) Jonathan Cain called with the same rap. That's when it all started to sink in a little bit."

Depending on whom you believe, Steve Perry either quit Journey (Schon's story) or was kicked out (Perry's story) when health problems left him unable to tour in support of the band's 1996 disc "Trial By Fire." Schon's efforts to save the tour from financial ruin with a vocal doppelganger capable of matching Perry's stunning range led him back to an obscure New York-based band he'd first heard years earlier.

"The story Neal tells is that ... he was driving on the highway, heard a song on the radio that sounded like Journey and had to pull over because he couldn't recall recording it," said Augeri, laughing, about some rare and ultimately fateful airplay of his former band's music. A "Tall Stories" tape passed to Schon and Cain while they were looking for a Perry replacement in 1997 hastened a call to Augeri.

Though flattered, Augeri had a few reservations. Not the least of these: an invitation to join a rock supergroup because he could pretty much eerily match that band's much-loved ex-vocalist note for note.

"The context that I put it in was, 'Would I stand still for this if I was (a fan)?' " said Augeri. "And my answer was 'no.' "

Of course, Augeri took the job anyway. And seven years later, his confidence is finally kicking in as he faces longtime fans whose appreciation of his only Journey disc "Arrival" is a mere fraction of those desiring to hear "Faithfully" done, uh, faithfully.

"Each day, I try a little harder (to) try and rise to the occasion," said Augeri. "There are people still coming to see Journey that have never seen me. So I've got to go out there and win them over every single night."

Augeri said he refrains from precisely mimicking Perry's vocals or on-stage mannerisms in favor of bringing a bit of his own personality and vocal style — within reason, of course — to songs he had no hand in creating or making famous.

"The fans need to hear the songs. And it would be blasphemous if I did them any other way than 'Steve Perry-style,' " he explained.

And though he probably wouldn't greet the day with open arms, Augeri insisted he would be just fine if Perry decided to patch things up with his former bandmates and return to the fold. After all, Augeri has lived with that back-of-mind reality from the start of his tenure.

"If and when that day ever comes, I will gracefully and respectfully — though very sadly — take a step back, and thank each and every member of 'my gang' as well as Mr. Perry himself because they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime," said Augeri.

"They brought a boy out of retirement and gave me the gift of music again."

Reach Derek Paiva at 525-8005 or dpaiva@honoluluadvertiser.com.
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:45 am

Though flattered, Augeri had a few reservations. Not the least of these: an invitation to join a rock supergroup because he could pretty much eerily match that band's much-loved ex-vocalist note for note.

"The context that I put it in was, 'Would I stand still for this if I was (a fan)?' " said Augeri. "And my answer was 'no.' "

DING!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Re: And My answer Was NO!

Postby yak » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:01 am

was the other thread getting too hot for you to handle?
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:35 am

Quote:

"If and when that day ever comes, I will gracefully and respectfully - though very sadly - take a step back, and thank each and every member of 'my gang' as well as Mr. Perry himself because they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime", "They brought a boy out of retirement and gave me the gift of music again".....

I don't think anyone could have stated it any better than he did. Who wouldn't want to take an "opportunity of a lifetime"? And for him to feel that he was 'given the gift of music again' is heartwarming.

I'm a Journey fan from "before, during, and after." I'm also a fan of Steve Perry. What Journey or Mr. Perry decides to do yesterday, today or tomorrow is of no business of mine. I've got my cd's!

Thank you Perryfaithful for sharing that article!
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby RubyTequila » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:57 am

[quote]
"If and when that day ever comes, I will gracefully and respectfully — though very sadly — take a step back, and thank each and every member of 'my gang' as well as Mr. Perry himself because they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime," said Augeri.

Steve Augeri is a class act!
RubyTequila
Ol' 78

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:52 am

RubyTequila wrote:

Steve Augeri is a class act!

Based on some of his ACTUAL quotes in this article, I would have to agree with you!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyjetster » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:07 am

STEVE AUGERI...how can you NOT love and respect this guy?!
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby mystichealer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:45 pm

Liz22562 wrote:Quote:

"If and when that day ever comes, I will gracefully and respectfully - though very sadly - take a step back, and thank each and every member of 'my gang' as well as Mr. Perry himself because they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime", "They brought a boy out of retirement and gave me the gift of music again".....

I don't think anyone could have stated it any better than he did. Who wouldn't want to take an "opportunity of a lifetime"? And for him to feel that he was 'given the gift of music again' is heartwarming.

I'm a Journey fan from "before, during, and after." I'm also a fan of Steve Perry. What Journey or Mr. Perry decides to do yesterday, today or tomorrow is of no business of mine. I've got my cd's!

Thank you Perryfaithful for sharing that article!

Very nicely put 'Liz', and i agree with your last paragraph 100%. Got my cd's too, and i LOVE 'em.

MH
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby Journeynut » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:53 pm

Wow. Nice to see it in print. Augeri gets it. How come neal doesn't?

Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby Journeynut » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:54 pm

yakov wrote: was the other thread getting too hot for you to handle?

Hot? no. Redundant? Boring? Stupid? Dull? Yes.
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyjetster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:14 am

perryfaithful wrote:Based on some of his ACTUAL quotes in this article, I would have to agree with you!!

Hah?? Have you ever doubted that Steve Augeri was anything BUT genuine and sincere?
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:36 am

jrnyjetster wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:Based on some of his ACTUAL quotes in this article, I would have to agree with you!!

Hah?? Have you ever doubted that Steve Augeri was anything BUT genuine and sincere?

What reason would I have to think he is?? I am basing this on words from the mans mouth right now. Before that, I had nothing to base it on. So did I doubt it? No I DID NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT!! Could care less.......

perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby atthistime » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:29 am

Oh well..............
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby captbythmmnt » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:12 am

[quote="yakov"]was the other thread getting too hot for you to handle?[/quote]

I dont think it was the heat, the stench is awful.......

Steve A is a class act.....

Some will be remembered for what they dont say.
Some will be remembered for what they do say.
And some just want to be remembered....
captbythmmnt
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyjetster » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:56 pm

perryfaithful wrote:Before that, I had nothing to base it on. So did I doubt it? No I DID NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT!! Could care less.......

:? Oh..is that so? AND the reason you posted this article WAS? Please don't be hypocritical, perryfaithful.
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 am

jrnyjetster wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:Before that, I had nothing to base it on. So did I doubt it? No I DID NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT!! Could care less.......

:? Oh..is that so? AND the reason you posted this article WAS? Please don't be hypocritical, perryfaithful.

There is plenty of interesting information in this article.

I am being honest with you Jetser, I did not consider whether Augeri is "genuine" or "sincere" or whatever before. That is not what interests me in a singer. You were forcing my hand on this and I am telling you the truth. Please, don't make things into something they ARE NOT! Some of you guys just want to find something to argue about and scrape the bottom of the barrel to find it!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby atthistime » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:40 am

What don't you understand about the key word in the topic title; No, jrnyjetster?

"DING"
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:46 am

atthistime wrote:What don't you understand about the key word in the topic title; No, jrnyjetster?

"DING"

Thanks ATT! I thought it was clear too......
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyjetster » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:59 am

No arguments here. :roll: You girls are too muck and futch, but thanks for posting something positive about Steve AUGERI, for a change....PERRYfaithful! :P
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:24 am

jrnyjetster wrote:No arguments here. :roll: You girls are too muck and futch, but thanks for posting something positive about Steve AUGERI, for a change....PERRYfaithful! :P

For a change??? Think you are mixing me up with someone else. How about reading what I say and disregard my NIC.

thanks Jester
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:36 am

RubyTequila wrote: Steve Augeri is a class act!

And he has been...since Day One! More people should realize it.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:58 am

"Augeri insisted he would be just fine if Perry decided to patch things up with his former bandmates and return to the fold. After all, Augeri has lived with that back-of-mind reality from the start of his tenure"

Well then.....Sounds like the door HAS been open
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:04 pm

jrnyjetster wrote:

Some people say the same thing about politicians too...do you believe everything THEY say??? :roll: :roll:

Postby Paul_UK » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:25 pm

perryfaithful wrote:

...and swiftly closed again hopefully.

Augeri has been doing a first class job with the band and made them lots of money along the way. To sh*t on him now would be wrong.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby Liz22562 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:24 pm

In any article I have read that Steve Augeri has been interviewed, he has been an absolute gentlemen and very respectful towards his fellow bandmates and especially towards the man he replaced.

To even attempt to compare him to a politician is silly. He made his point very clear in one of Journey's concerts this year. Apparently some ardent Perry fans started shouting their opinions towards the band. Steve Augeri took it upon himself to take off his shoes and place them beside himself. I think his point was well "spoken". And even after that, he has never put down Mr. Perry or any of his true die-hard fans. Yes, that is a 'class act'.
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby perryfaithful » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:07 am

Paul_UK wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

...and swiftly closed again hopefully. "

OPEN
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Paul_UK » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:12 am

Liz22562 wrote:
To even attempt to compare him to a politician is silly. He made his point very clear in one of Journey's concerts this year. Apparently some ardent Perry fans started shouting their opinions towards the band. Steve Augeri took it upon himself to take off his shoes and place them beside himself. I think his point was well "spoken". And even after that, he has never put down Mr. Perry or any of his true die-hard fans. Yes, that is a 'class act'.

A fantastic reaction to a difficult situation for the guy. He replied to the 'fans', "Would you like to fill these shoes?!?!?"

perryfaithful wrote:
OPEN

Oh well
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:08 am

perryfaithful wrote:
Paul_UK wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

...and swiftly closed again hopefully. "

OPEN

The point is that the door has never been closed. Steve Perry has never really 'left' Journey. He just doesn't sing for them any longer. He can return whenever HE chooses.

That is what I have been saying over and over again on this forum.

It is PERRY's choice to no longer sing for Journey...Not Neal's or anybody else involved with the band.
Monker
MP3

Postby yak » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:06 pm

Monker wrote:The point is that the door has never been closed. Steve Perry has never really 'left' Journey. He just doesn't sing for them any longer. He can return whenever HE chooses.

It is PERRY's choice to no longer sing for Journey...Not Neal's or anybody else involved with the band.

Perry is content to sit on his fat ass and collect checks.

........Denial cushions some from the painful truth....

:?: Why did Journey allow Perry to hold them hostage like this
:?:
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Journeynut » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:16 pm

yakov wrote:
Monker wrote:The point is that the door has never been closed. Steve Perry has never really 'left' Journey. He just doesn't sing for them any longer. He can return whenever HE chooses.

Perry is content to sit on his fat ass and collect checks.

........Denial cushions some from the painful truth....

:?: Why did Journey allow Perry to hold them hostage like this
:?:

Ask Neal
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Return to Journey