SJ Owes Me a Fuckin' Beer - Chalfant is Ready for Journey

All past and current talk for MelodicRockFest 1, 2 and 3?

Moderator: Andrew

SJ Owes Me a Fuckin' Beer - Chalfant is Ready for Journey

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:03 pm

SJ,

Bro, it was a pleasure to meet you tonight. I wished we could have hooked up so I could have bought you the first round as I promised. However, I stayed for the Ramos/Chalfant set and was pleasantly surprised by Kevin's voice. I think they covered too many Journey songs in the set but he sounded great on those songs. Kevin's performance tonight at the Melodic rock.com 10th Anniversary show clearly showed he is ready to sing for Journey. If the hire Arnel it would be a tragedy.

Make that a tall Bud Light bro,

Aaron
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: SJ Owes Me a Fuckin' Beer - Chalfant is Ready for Journe

Postby Saint John » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:06 am

Aaron wrote:SJ,

Bro, it was a pleasure to meet you tonight. I wished we could have hooked up so I could have bought you the first round as I promised. However, I stayed for the Ramos/Chalfant set and was pleasantly surprised by Kevin's voice. I think they covered too many Journey songs in the set but he sounded great on those songs. Kevin's performance tonight at the Melodic rock.com 10th Anniversary show clearly showed he is ready to sing for Journey. If the hire Arnel it would be a tragedy.

Aaron

Sadly, I disagree. While Kevin had much more than I thought in the "tank" he was empty as far as singing the lower ends. He can hit notes, that's obvious, but he screams an awful lot and would not be the proper fit to "emote" the Journey catalog. He neglects any part of the song that is not a skyscraper vocal. He needs to work on his finesse and sing the WHOLE song rather than just part.. I'll get you that beer for sure. It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else. Andrew hit a homerun with the show. Everyone was excellent.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:15 am

Musically, I think he could do it. I was pretty impressed with his delivery of the Journey tunes (although not overly impressed with his drummer...his drumming felt kind of clunky rather than powerful, which affected the whole performance, but I digress). Although the Journey tunes were tuned down 1/2 step like the album, so that helped a bit.

But I don't think Chalfant could sell it, especially in a large venue. Journey, especially with the singer roulette they've been playing the last couple years, needs a singer, yes, but needs a frontman....a personality and stage presence that could make people forget Perry for 2 hours and really engage the audience and convert the skeptics and non-believers. That will be the difference between Journey playing state fairs and 1,000 seat clubs vs. the amphitheaters they did the last 7 or 8 years.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby dcvader » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:52 am

Best thing about the Chalfant set was the 3 STORM songs with Ramos on guitar (stellar!).

The JRNY stuff was marginal at best. I wish Chalfant would have done Sep. Ways and then when JSS did it all would see the real deal.

I am not a Chalfant hater at all. He was a great guy to talk with etc. But, Jeff blew the fucking roof off the Morris Center.
dcvader
Cassette Tape

Postby belar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 pm

dcvader wrote:But, Jeff blew the fucking roof off the Morris Center.

Yep, now I truly understand why everyone's been saying how much better off he is without them. What an amazing set!
belar
Cassette Tape

Postby treetopovskaya » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:20 pm

woohoo!! }=C)

(wish i could have been there but i get the idea believe me... jss/jssb rocks!!!!!)

belar wrote:
dcvader wrote:But, Jeff blew the fucking roof off the Morris Center.

Yep, now I truly understand why everyone's been saying how much better off he is without them. What an amazing set!
treetopovskaya
Stereo LP

Postby mrsromek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I agree about JSS blowing the roof off, yes, but Chalfant CAN sing those Journey tunes. I bought and listened to his Fly2 Freedom CD and think that he could pull it off each night. The problem is that many still want Perry back, but the reality of that happening is slim to none. As far as a frontman in front of an arena sized crowd goes, I do not know. I guess it depends on who the fan is. For me, personally, I would prefer to hear the songs, but for some the small talk is important, too.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby AR » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Dan, good to see you're still alive. :lol:
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Lora » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:36 pm

dcvader wrote:Best thing about the Chalfant set was the 3 STORM songs with Ramos on guitar (stellar!).

The JRNY stuff was marginal at best. I wish Chalfant would have done Sep. Ways and then when JSS did it all would see the real deal.

I am not a Chalfant hater at all. He was a great guy to talk with etc. But, Jeff blew the fucking roof off the Morris Center.

I enjoyed The Storm tunes as well, but they weren't the same without GR. Still good, though. The Journey material was not even marginal in my opinion. I saw no stage presence at all. He presented "Anyway You Want It" as if he were on ludes. No passion, no feeling, no energy. Nice guy, but.....

Loved Jeff's set. Thought I was going to come out of my shoes when he and Joe Lynn Turner did "Since You've Been Gone." Scrap Metal were great but they did not showcase Eric Martin enough. This was not their usual set, though so I will have to see them again sometime to see more of Eric.

It was wonderful meeting everyone and hanging out. Andrew should be proud.
Lora
8 Track

Postby Saint John » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 am

AR wrote:Dan, good to see you're still alive. :lol:

Thanks!!! There was doubt for a few hours. I've never "hit the wall" like that before. I guess I need more "practice" drinking.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby SacredEyes » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:36 am

Kevin = :shock: for me. I guess I am just not ready yet to hear anyone but Jeff. As a upright species, I suppose I should try to evolve into adapting to change but I shall act like my 6 year old daughter with my puffy lip, stomping my foot.
Sorry, it did not work for me.

Glad everyone else enjoyed his performance though. But , I got to interact with the 7th Heaven guys and had a blast talking with them. Richie really is a dynamic pesonality.
SacredEyes
45 RPM

Postby Moon Beam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:07 am

Aaron Sir it was a grand pleasure meeting you and your young one.
Again I am sorry I didn't see him there and he witnessed me with my
finger forth ward. :oops:
Kevin has my curiosity peaked if he were given the chance to front the band.
That man amazed my ears.
I didn't think he played to many Journey songs but that's what makes a show
like Saturdays so special, we all walk away with different thoughts and highlights.

Man I so can't wait to send you the pics Hubby Bub took of you, young one and Josh.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Moon Beam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:14 am

Lora and Cyndy......
Thank you so much for your efforts in this event.
The pleasure was all mine in seeing you both, sorry I missed a chance
to introduce myself Friday night but Damn!..........
Saint John's room was packed like groupies round a tour bus wasn't it?
I hope I get the chance to chat with you in the future.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Playitloudforme » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:47 am

Kevin blew my socks off. I went in with zero conception -- I'd not heard him before other than mpgs, so I was pretty much an open slate for him, and he definitely impressed me. I thought he was actually quite full with emotion when he sang and was genuinely impressed. As I stated in another thread... I thought he channelled Perry at times. That being said tho, he shouldn't front Journey -- only because it would not be condusive to the band having a sound alike up there. (my humble opinion as always). Kevin kicked ass and I loved it. Bravo man!!!
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:17 am

Lora wrote:Scrap Metal were great but they did not showcase Eric Martin enough. This was not their usual set, though so I will have to see them again sometime to see more of Eric.

Agreed! I guess I'll have to catch a regular show too sometime. It was an absolute pleasure meeting EM though, great guy, great voice! :D

Postby Deb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:20 am

Anonymous wrote:
Lora wrote:Scrap Metal were great but they did not showcase Eric Martin enough. This was not their usual set, though so I will have to see them again sometime to see more of Eric.

Agreed! I guess I'll have to catch a regular show too sometime. It was an absolute pleasure meeting EM though, great guy, great voice! :D

Damn, came up guest again. :lol:
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby Deb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:39 am

Saint John wrote:
AR wrote:Dan, good to see you're still alive. :lol:

Thanks!!! There was doubt for a few hours. I've never "hit the wall" like that before. I guess I need more "practice" drinking.

So that's what happened to you Saturday night. :lol: Wimp! :wink:
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby cyndy! » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:43 am

Deb wrote:
Saint John wrote:Thanks!!! There was doubt for a few hours. I've never "hit the wall" like that before. I guess I need more "practice" drinking.

So that's what happened to you Saturday night. :lol: Wimp! :wink:

or maybe he got a better offer. :wink:
dan, glad you at least got to see jss' amazing set.
cyndy!
Cassette Tape

Postby *Laura » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:46 am

Considering that I've seen Jeff live before,I knew what to expect.The man is a total entertainer,owns the stage 100% and leaves you breathless.Amazing show.Totally loved the funky ass-shaking part... :lol: Man,Jeff can't sing anything he wants. 8)

My highlights were Kevin Chalfant and Scrap Metal.
I'm still at a loss for words regarding Kevin's performance!All I know is that he's definitely one of the best singers that ever graced the Rock stage,up there with Perry,Rodgers and the other few Voices.
It was one thing to hear him on recorded material and a COMPLETELY different thing to hear him live.Emotion,range,power,feeling - he's everything I'm expecting from a singer.I was floored.
Not to mention that behind that awesome voice he's a guy with a big heart,genuine and sweet as it can be.

Scrap Metal - now that's entertainment! :D Those guys just LOVED to be up there and have fun.What an energy!
I agree that Eric should've sang more,but what he did convinced me that he still has it BIG time.Pun intended.

My faves were "Daddy...Little Boy" "High Enough" and "Rock In America" - oh WOW!

I hope to be able to upload the last 2 song,I've filmed them.

All in all the MR show was an absolute treat.Congrats on the succesfull event,Andrew! :D
Image Available @ LuluBooks.com
*Laura
Stereo LP

Postby Blondie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:30 am

*Laura wrote:Considering that I've seen Jeff live before,I knew what to expect.The man is a total entertainer,owns the stage 100% and leaves you breathless.Amazing show.Totally loved the funky ass-shaking part... :lol: Man,Jeff can't sing anything he wants. 8)

My highlights were Kevin Chalfant and Scrap Metal.
I'm still at a loss for words regarding Kevin's performance!All I know is that he's definitely one of the best singers that ever graced the Rock stage,up there with Perry,Rodgers and the other few Voices.
It was one thing to hear him on recorded material and a COMPLETELY different thing to hear him live.Emotion,range,power,feeling - he's everything I'm expecting from a singer.I was floored.
Not to mention that behind that awesome voice he's a guy with a big heart,genuine and sweet as it can be.

Scrap Metal - now that's entertainment! :D Those guys just LOVED to be up there and have fun.What an energy!
I agree that Eric should've sang more,but what he did convinced me that he still has it BIG time.Pun intended.

My faves were "Daddy...Little Boy" "High Enough" and "Rock In America" - oh WOW!

I hope to be able to upload the last 2 song,I've filmed them.

All in all the MR show was an absolute treat.Congrats on the succesfull event,Andrew! :D

I agree with you wholeheartedly Laura! Having EVERYBODY on stage for High Enough and Rock in America blew my socks off! It was like the best damn jam session ever. :D
"I still cling to hope, and I believe in love and that's faith enough for me"-RUSH

"Life's too short to be a dumbass" - Me

www.myspace.com/blondiesc
Blondie
Cassette Tape

Postby (Crazy)Dulce Lady » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:35 am

KC. JRNY. no way.

:cry: I DID NOT enjoy that.

:cry: sorry UncleH. and thanks for the hugz.

:cry: yup I still feel it. 2 days later. :cry:
(Crazy)Dulce Lady
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:00 am

Kevin was ready for Journey over 10 years ago when they should have chosen him.

I enjoyed his set very much, especially The Storm songs. Journey songs are tough to listen to now though. He sounded good on them, better than on the tribute CD. I just don't care about fucking Frig and Fro's band anymore. However I'm happy I finally got to see Kevin perform and it was nice to get to meet him!
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby donnaplease » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:55 am

I wasn't particularly blown away by KC. I agree he hit all the necessary notes, but he lacked stage presence that I was expecting to see from him. I absolutely LOVED the JSS set, and I thought that Scrap Metal was terrific!!!
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby MCC620 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 am

Playitloudforme wrote:Kevin blew my socks off. I went in with zero conception -- I'd not heard him before other than mpgs, so I was pretty much an open slate for him, and he definitely impressed me. I thought he was actually quite full with emotion when he sang and was genuinely impressed. As I stated in another thread... I thought he channelled Perry at times. That being said tho, he shouldn't front Journey -- only because it would not be condusive to the band having a sound alike up there. (my humble opinion as always). Kevin kicked ass and I loved it. Bravo man!!!

I agree 100% Kate about Kevin's set. I think between the J tunes and The Storm tunes it was a great set. No disappointments at all. Definitely kicked ass!
MCC620
Cassette Tape

Re: SJ Owes Me a Fuckin' Beer - Chalfant is Ready for Journe

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Kevin did have more in the tank on the high side which is what I was worried about the most. I agree with your assessment of Kevin in the lower register. However, I think this is the easiest stuff to work on and cover. In my opinion Kevin was clearly focused on showing he had the range required which did demonstrate. With a little work I'm confident the lower stuff would come right into it. That stuff is easy to sort, if you don't have the high stuff there's really nothing you can do about it.

I really wished he would have done more of his own stuff and less Journey.

Again, the show was excellent and it was nice meeting you. Mac, thanks again for a great show.

P.S. Did I mention that the boy and I got to hang with Ramos for a while after the show? :)

Saint John wrote:
Aaron wrote:SJ,

Aaron

Sadly, I disagree. While Kevin had much more than I thought in the "tank" he was empty as far as singing the lower ends. He can hit notes, that's obvious, but he screams an awful lot and would not be the proper fit to "emote" the Journey catalog. He neglects any part of the song that is not a skyscraper vocal. He needs to work on his finesse and sing the WHOLE song rather than just part.. I'll get you that beer for sure. It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else. Andrew hit a homerun with the show. Everyone was excellent.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Moonie,

The pleasure was all mine. It was really great to meet you and the hub. No worries about the one finger solute, I'm still laughing about that. Tell the hub thanks again for the picture. He waited much longer than I ever would have, his time was really appreciated. Hopefully we'll get together again.

L8r,

Aaron

P.S. Ramos was the guitarist of the show! That dude is awesome. His sister and brother in law are very cool too.

Moon Beam wrote:Aaron Sir it was a grand pleasure meeting you and your young one.
Again I am sorry I didn't see him there and he witnessed me with my
finger forth ward. :oops:
Kevin has my curiosity peaked if he were given the chance to front the band.
That man amazed my ears.
I didn't think he played to many Journey songs but that's what makes a show
like Saturdays so special, we all walk away with different thoughts and highlights.

Man I so can't wait to send you the pics Hubby Bub took of you, young one and Josh.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby cyndy! » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Moon Beam wrote:Lora and Cyndy......
Thank you so much for your efforts in this event.
The pleasure was all mine in seeing you both, sorry I missed a chance
to introduce myself Friday night but Damn!..........
Saint John's room was packed like groupies round a tour bus wasn't it?
I hope I get the chance to chat with you in the future.

it was a pleasure meeting you too, moonie! i'm sorry i didn't get to taste the perogies (sp?).
lora & i can't take any credit for this event. andrew definitely did all the work. we were simply the part-time wombat messengers.

as for kevin chalfant, i didn't really dig his set. i especially disliked his interpretation of "anyway you want it." a big part of why i like the song is it's high energy, staccato style. kevin sang it in kind of a lazy, loungey way.
cyndy!
Cassette Tape

Postby Moon Beam » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 am

Thank you for the kind words Aaron and Cyndy.

Aaron Hubby didn't mind at all he wanted to see your kid happy
and hopes in the future he can see that beauty of a bike you have.
Will send them pics soon Sir!
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Abitaman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Seen Kevin live before. He was all over the stage when I saw him, and had all the highs and lows in his voice. Kevin should have had the job before Augeri, and since they passed on Jeremey, Kevin should be the only one considered now-ERIC
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Abitaman wrote:Seen Kevin live before. He was all over the stage when I saw him, and had all the highs and lows in his voice. Kevin should have had the job before Augeri, and since they passed on Jeremey, Kevin should be the only one considered now-ERIC

I agree, except add Jeremey to the list.
NealIsGod
MP3

Next

Return to MelodicRockFest