How Rare is Perry's Vocal Classification of Tenor Altino?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

How Rare is Perry's Vocal Classification of Tenor Altino?

Postby Voyager » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I was looking for something on Wikipedia, and I found this interesting paragraph from Steve Perry's Wiki page:

Perry's vocal classification is tenor altino, a term used to describe a man who sings in the highest possible male register (above tenor and including what would if sung by a woman be called alto or mezzo), using a natural or "chest" voice and employing falsetto only in his extreme upper register. Depending on whether the definition being used includes chest voice or is limited to falsetto only, this is also a form of countertenor.

This got me to wondering how many men have a voice in this classification. I wouldn't imagine that more than 1% of men would be able to sing in that register without going falsetto. Does anyone know?

I wonder if Arnel's voice is a tenor altino? I'm pretty sure Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto are not in that classification.

I knew Perry was a high tenor, but I didn't know there was a classification for men who sing higher than the tenor range.

8)
Voyager
Compact Disc

Re: How Rare is Perry's Vocal Classification of Tenor Altino

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Voyager wrote:I was looking for something on Wikipedia, and I found this interesting paragraph from Steve Perry's Wiki page:

Perry's vocal classification is tenor altino, a term used to describe a man who sings in the highest possible male register (above tenor and including what would if sung by a woman be called alto or mezzo), using a natural or "chest" voice and employing falsetto only in his extreme upper register. Depending on whether the definition being used includes chest voice or is limited to falsetto only, this is also a form of countertenor.

This got me to wondering how many men have a voice in this classification. I wouldn't imagine that more than 1% of men would be able to sing in that register without going falsetto. Does anyone know?

I wonder if Arnel's voice is a tenor altino? I'm pretty sure Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto are not in that classification.

I knew Perry was a high tenor, but I didn't know there was a classification for men who sing higher than the tenor range.

8)

Others have classified Perry as a mezosoprano, whatever that is. I think it's higher. :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Rick wrote:
Voyager wrote:I was looking for something on Wikipedia, and I found this interesting paragraph from Steve Perry's Wiki page:

8)

Others have classified Perry as a mezosoprano, whatever that is. I think it's higher. :lol:

Is that a range you reach only after menopause?
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Voyager » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Gunbot wrote:
Rick wrote:

8)

No, it's a classification that comes when you have one of your hit songs played on the final show of The Sopranos.

:lol:
Voyager
Compact Disc

Postby Blueskies » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Voyager wrote:
Gunbot wrote:
Rick wrote:

8)

No, it's a classification that comes when you have one of your hit songs played on the final show of The Sopranos.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Voyager wrote:
Gunbot wrote:
Rick wrote:

8)

That's what it is.... Ok, now I get it. :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I really want Perry to go on Daryl's house. Hall is 63 and not ashamed of losing his range. Come on Steve, it woud be a great way to start getting back into the groove of the musical world.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/inde ... er_archive
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Gunbot wrote:I really want Perry to go on Daryl's house. Hall is 63 and not ashamed of losing his range. Come on Steve, it woud be a great way to start getting back into the groove of the musical world.

I watched that, and Hall hasn't lost much. I like that show.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Rick wrote:
Gunbot wrote:I really want Perry to go on Daryl's house. Hall is 63 and not ashamed of losing his range. Come on Steve, it woud be a great way to start getting back into the groove of the musical world.

I guess his thing is rebuilding houses. He owns one of only 50 homes with backdoor access to the Thames river in London.
My bosses nephew lives in a cabin on one of Hall's properties up in New England. He was a lazy cuss but Daryl whipped him into shape. Daryl Hall has more money than even Perry, dude is a good business man but very down to earth.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I've been addicted to this since you posted it. It's a great idea and great performances shore it up. Love it.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Voyager » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Live From Beaky's House?

Voyager
Compact Disc

Postby Shadowsong » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm

8)

Interesting...
In the 80's when I sang in college chorus conducted by Maggie Brooks most recently at Yale
I auditioned & she placed me 2nd soprano
she said I could also be 1st soprano but that since my sightseeing wasn't that good... :lol: she placed me 2nd soprano.

To me than soprano was the rage
something to be proud of
but my Mom & now I know she was right who also has a nice voice always told me I resonated better at the lower range.
I may have a few octave range & everyone that does has a sweet spot
an octave etc where they resonate more than just being able to hit the notes.

Steve Perry had a wide range of where he could hit the notes.
I love his sultry minor high notes
but I also thing he resonates better in a lower range.

Personally I don't think I am a deep mezzo soprano
but I have grown to love the rich velvety depthness of thar range when sung by some one who truly resonates....

I was trained on opera but I also love to challenge myself with metal.

Anyway,
we know not where Steve Perry is vocally these days
but where ever it is
it would be a blessing if he would share it with us!!!!

:wink:
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Voyager wrote:I knew Perry was a high tenor, but I didn't know there was a classification for men who sing higher than the tenor range.

There is... he sings like a fucking angel.

That's his vocal classification. 8)
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:40 pm

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Voyager wrote:I knew Perry was a high tenor, but I didn't know there was a classification for men who sing higher than the tenor range.

There is... he sings like a fucking angel.

That's his vocal classification. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby T-Bone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Makes me wonder what vocalists like Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Lance King and Mike Matijevic are classified as?
We, The Inept, Lead by the Incompetent, have been doing so much, with so little, for so long... We can practically do anything, with absolutely nothing.
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby S2M » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 pm

T-Bone wrote:Makes me wonder what vocalists like Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Lance King and Mike Matijevic are classified as?

Thanks for bringing up Lance King....best vocalist Balance of Power ever had.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby T-Bone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:46 pm

StocktontoMalone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Makes me wonder what vocalists like Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Lance King and Mike Matijevic are classified as?

Also a good friend of mine for the last 19 years 8)
We, The Inept, Lead by the Incompetent, have been doing so much, with so little, for so long... We can practically do anything, with absolutely nothing.
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby S2M » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:47 pm

T-Bone wrote:
StocktontoMalone wrote:

Gemini wasn't that good, sorry..... :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby annie89509 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Rick wrote:

I agree, he sounds the same, but of course he never sang in the upper register, either.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby T-Bone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:52 pm

StocktontoMalone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
StocktontoMalone wrote:

They were a great live band and I happen to like their 2 CD's with Lance along with the 3rd with Rob Newhouse singing. Lance has sang for MANY other bands since then. Some of the music is too progressive for my tastes, but his voice fit it perfectly. He's singing in a local cover band called Decibel now with the past members of Conditioned Response. Conditioned Responses old vocalist Rick Forsgren, recently won a local contest to sing on stage with Queensryche and did a great job on Neon Knights. Aparently Geoff Tate was ver impressed with his vocals. it also suprised me that Lance didn't enter that contest considering he's probably better than Tate these days :lol:
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby S2M » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:54 pm

T-Bone wrote:
StocktontoMalone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
StocktontoMalone wrote:

They were a great live band and I happen to like their 2 CD's with Lance along with the 3rd with Rob Newhouse singing. Lance has sang for MANY other bands since then. Some of the music is too progressive for my tastes, but his voice fit it perfectly. He's singing in a local cover band called Decibel now with the past members of Conditioned Response. Conditioned Responses old vocalist Rick Forsgren, recently won a local contest to sing on stage with Queensryche and did a great job on Neon Knights. Aparently Geoff Tate was ver impressed with his vocals. it also suprised me that Lance didn't enter that contest considering he's probably better than Tate these days :lol:

Ten More Tales.....is perhaps my favorite CD of ANY band ever. His voice is up there with ANYBODY. Along with 'Shelter Me' from Perfect Balance.....pure heaven. Ok, I'm a Lance loon..... :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby Voyager » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I think they are in the upper mezzo banshee range.

:lol: :lol:
Voyager
Compact Disc

Postby T-Bone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Quite possibly... All I know is that they have some spectacular ranges in their vocals
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby slucero » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

if the download is still good... its a great read on Perrys voice....

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phpBB/vie ... l+analysis

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Vladan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

annie89509 wrote:
Rick wrote:

I agree, he sounds the same, but of course he never sang in the upper register, either.

Brilliance! check out the Bacon brothers http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep16

Awesome
Vladan
Cassette Tape

Postby Shadowsong » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:55 pm

slucero wrote:if the download is still good... its a great read on Perrys voice....

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phpBB/vie ... l+analysis

It's still good...all 21 pages

Interesting read!!!!

8)
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Vladan wrote:
annie89509 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Brilliance! check out the Bacon brothers http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep16

Awesome

This is new, Awesome. Kevin Bacon, wow he never ages.

I love the cat story during the "When the morning comes" clip.

Stevew2 and Artist4perry need to check that clip out.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby annie89509 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Vladan wrote:
annie89509 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Awesome

That was so cool! Knew Kevin was a musician but never heard of his brother.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Arkansas » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 am

Heard a voice coach once that used to call him Soprano Tenor. Said he really wasn't tenor at all, that he 'sings up there with the women and had an un-male-like purity', thus the term. Said the same about Brad Delp, among others.

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 am

annie89509 wrote:I agree, he sounds the same, but of course he never sang in the upper register, either.

??????
DracIsBack
8 Track

Next

Return to Journey