RECENT SP mention RE: "new material"

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Yet Steve Perry leaves the band and it's still called Journey. Steve Perry leaves the band and they didn't crumble to dust, and have actually done decently.
So if you're one of those "Journey was Steve Perry" people, then why wasn't he more successful in his solo career than he was? Riddle me this...

Rhi, step outside and have this argument with the closest brick wall. You'll get FURTHER. :roll: :lol:

Caught ya.. :D
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 am

SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Yet Steve Perry leaves the band and it's still called Journey. Steve Perry leaves the band and they didn't crumble to dust, and have actually done decently.
So if you're one of those "Journey was Steve Perry" people, then why wasn't he more successful in his solo career than he was? Riddle me this...

Rhi, step outside and have this argument with the closest brick wall. You'll get FURTHER. :roll: :lol:

Whatever. :lol: Fine... "farther" denotes physical distance and "further" denotes metaphorical distance.... beg pardon for not checking facts before I post. :roll:

Hey... that Journey singer guy, Steve Perry... he was hot ...

bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Jana » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

Whatever. :lol: Fine... "farther" denotes physical distance and "further" denotes metaphorical distance.... beg pardon for not checking facts before I post. :roll:

+ 1 BJG. :lol: :lol:
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I beg your pardon......... Steve Perry WAS and IS Hot................
:D
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby madsplash » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am

Rhiannon wrote:
madsplash wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
madsplash wrote:Everyone involved with Journey can get down on their hands a knees and thank God that SP ever came into that band. If he hadn't, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now

Not to overstate the obvious, MS... but you have no clue what would have happened with that band had Perry never come along. They may have disbanded, they may have had moderate yet unmemorable success with Fleischman, or perhaps some other dude might have come along and took them to fame. There's absolutely no way of knowing where the guys would be if things were different. And to say that other (TALENTED) musicians would have been more or less failures without one person's influence is putting an unrealistic god-power on someone. Which is nothing short of delusional. It was the combination of those five guys, and the two later replacements (Smitty & Jon) that gave their music the perfect storm of chemistry to be absolutely unstoppable. Not one man.

Disagree. How were they doing BEFORE he got there? OK, that's what I thought.
I don't know for sure what would have happened, but I know what DID happen when he got there. That's fact, what DID happen, and they should all be thankful.

Yet Steve Perry leaves the band and it's still called Journey. Steve Perry leaves the band and they didn't crumble to dust, and have actually done decently.

Well, they DID crumble from 1987 to 1996, when HE deccided it was time. And his solo career has been excellent. He has only chosen to put out 2 solo records and they have a combined sales of almost 3 million. That's damn successful.

We'll see how Journey's next album sells WITHOUT Walmart and WITHOUT counting each disc twice. :roll:

I don't want to sound like I'm not happy for Journey these days and the moderate success of the band. I just know who buttered that bread.

Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing Baby
madsplash
Cassette Tape

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:59 am

madsplash wrote:Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing Baby

You need to go to a Frontiers show. As close to the real thing as you can possibly get.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:01 am

SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

And Steve was SOOO nice in person too... 8)

bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Jana » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

And you would recognize Steve Perry's voice anywhere. There's only one voice like that. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby DrFU » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:09 am

Jana wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

And you would recognize Steve Perry's voice anywhere. There's only one voice like that. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You gals hittin' the green beer already? :wink: :lol:
DrFU
Stereo LP

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:18 am

DrFU wrote:You gals hittin' the green beer already? :wink: :lol:

Nope. We're good. Someone might have been hittin' some green stuff but it wasn't us and it wasn't beer. :lol:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby madsplash » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:29 am

NealIsGod wrote:

You need to go to a Frontiers show. As close to the real thing as you can possibly get.

I agree with that, and have made my feelings known that I think Jeremey should have been the new singer. But alas, it's harder to sell records without the foreign fans that Arnel brings. But although I've never seen a Frontiers show live, I've watched every video clip and agree. It's how Journey sounded and should STILL sound.
madsplash
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 am

wtf are you guys beating on the "whos' better" horse argument for... jesus... I thought this thread was about SP releasing his own stuff...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 am

slucero wrote:wtf are you guys beating on the "whos' better" horse argument for... jesus... I thought this thread was about SP releasing his own stuff...

The thread was about SP releasing his own stuff, but then someone attacked SPs integrity and that pissed me off............ :D

As usual, everything went down hill from there............... :wink:
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby cyndy! » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 am

slucero wrote:wtf are you guys beating on the "whos' better" horse argument for... jesus... I thought this thread was about SP releasing his own stuff...

it's an unwritten MR law. each poster has the responsibility of changing a discussion into a competition. :twisted:
cyndy!
Cassette Tape

Postby stevew2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 am

NealIsGod wrote:

got that right
stevew2
MP3

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 am

And for the record. I don't care who is better, they all are flat out equal contributors in my eyes. Somehow that's the point I wanted to convey. It takes a village to write DSB, etc.
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby StevePerryHair » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 am

Rhiannon wrote:

And for the record. I don't care who is better, they all are flat out equal contributors in my eyes. Somehow that's the point I wanted to convey. It takes a village to write DSB, etc.

Doesn't every village have an idiot though :P :wink: :lol:
StevePerryHair
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:12 am

This thread is one of the worst ever in MR history to read, but this last Rhiannon blast has me thinking what the fuck is in the air or more probably, wtf is Rhiannon smoking?

You cannot be serious with this can you?

Rhiannon wrote:
Yet Steve Perry leaves the band and it's still called Journey. Steve Perry leaves the band and they didn't crumble to dust, and have actually done decently.

That's all I can muster here. Simply amazing.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:15 am

Rockindeano wrote:This thread is one of the worst ever in MR history to read, but this last Rhiannon blast has me thinking what the fuck is in the air or more probably, wtf is Rhiannon smoking?

Rhiannon wrote:

That's NOT a knock at Perry. It's just me trying to make my point that the FIVE guy combination led to Journey's success, not one person in particular. Hence why not a damn one of them has ever done anything equal or close to rivaling the success apart from the four. That's just what I see.
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:19 am

Rockindeano wrote:This thread is one of the worst ever in MR history to read, but this last Rhiannon blast has me thinking what the fuck is in the air or more probably, wtf is Rhiannon smoking?

I think she got hold of my Lucky Schons for breakfast. Those with fuck ya up, man. :? :lol:

bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby NoMoreTails » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:24 am

Rhiannon wrote:

Actually what she said sounds like something you might have said a few years back in our old battles with the Perryloons, before you became a Perryhead yourself. :lol:
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 am

NoMoreTails wrote:
Actually what she said sounds like something you might have said a few years back in our old battles with the Perryloons, before you became a Perryhead yourself. :lol:

Very true, except I would say it this way: Actually what she said sounds like something you might have said a few years back in our old battles with the Perryloons, before you realized how wrong you were and how bad the Journey guys are.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Onestepper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 am

Rhiannon wrote:

Rhiannon wrote:

That's NOT a knock at Perry. It's just me trying to make my point that the FIVE guy combination led to Journey's success, not one person in particular. Hence why not a damn one of them has ever done anything equal or close to rivaling the success apart from the four. That's just what I see.

What you said makes perfect sense. While I also understand those that think the success had mostly to do with Perry, it doesn't take a genius to know that they were stronger as a whole unit (just in the writing of songs alone), then as separate parts. If anyone can provide an example of where they individually have met with as much success commercially as they did as a full band, I'd be happy to change my opinion. But you won't be able to provide that, so I don't have to be worried about it.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 am

Onestepper wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:That's NOT a knock at Perry. It's just me trying to make my point that the FIVE guy combination led to Journey's success, not one person in particular. Hence why not a damn one of them has ever done anything equal or close to rivaling the success apart from the four. That's just what I see.

What you said makes perfect sense. While I also understand those that think the success had mostly to do with Perry, it doesn't take a genius to know that they were stronger as a whole unit (just in the writing of songs alone), then as separate parts. If anyone can provide an example of where they individually have met with as much success commercially as they did as a full band, I'd be happy to change my opinion. But you won't be able to provide that, so I don't have to be worried about it.

True. I think her point was that we don't know what may have happened without Perry, but still being Journey, still adding a strong singer/writer as well as the addition of guys like Smith and Cain. That's the way I read it.
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Deb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:
bluejeangirl76 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now Playing: Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Live. https://youtu.be/e9YPFXVNINU?si=zDfcdUBpoaDSatLG
Deb
MP3

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:38 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Onestepper wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:That's NOT a knock at Perry. It's just me trying to make my point that the FIVE guy combination led to Journey's success, not one person in particular. Hence why not a damn one of them has ever done anything equal or close to rivaling the success apart from the four. That's just what I see.

True. I think her point was that we don't know what may have happened without Perry, but still being Journey, still adding a strong singer/writer as well as the addition of guys like Smith and Cain. That's the way I read it.

You both got my point. 8)
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby NoMoreTails » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:38 am

Rockindeano wrote:
NoMoreTails wrote:

Very true, except I would say it this way: Actually what she said sounds like something you might have said a few years back in our old battles with the Perryloons, before you realized how wrong you were and how bad the Journey guys are.

Yes it does sound more like me, you would have used more colorful language, LOL. I don't agree with the way they handled a few things but I am still a fan. I usually can't access the forum from work so I'm rarely here and miss the old dust ups. But I'm still on board. Where is JoePa? Where are all the old timer loons? Hope things are going well.
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape

Postby Jana » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 am

Onestepper wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Rhiannon wrote:

I agree. It's what I've always said. Perry's solo career is not near as magnificant as those years with Journey and writing those songs together, and, especially, Neal on guitar complimenting Perry's voice.

And, actually, I enjoy Arrival, their first album after Perry, much more than Perry's last solo effort, FTLOSM on the whole.

For me it's always been Perry with Journey that was magic as far as the music and showcasing his vocals.
Last edited by Jana on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:46 am

Rhiannon wrote:

LOL, come on Rhiannon, pick a fucking side and stay there at least for 6 months.

Perry built up the Journey so high and so solid, that they couldn't possibly crumble to dust with what was in the bank. They did try however, to run it into the ground, and damned near succeeded. Major effort points for lip syncing. That was a goodie. Major points for using people in the band, singers, web designers, and oh yeah, fans. Seriously, you don't see the slightest dichotomy between Journey fore and journey current? Are you saying the paint is just as shiny today, and the motor just as strong?

Like I said, pull your head out, you're better than this.

Perry is responsible for Journey achieving the heights they did. This is not up for debate. The scorecard will tell you when you look at it, that 5 players played, and they as a group did escalate the mountain together, however, before Perry joined, they were on the ground floor. When Perry left, they were quite high in the sky, regardless of what the Perry haters will tell you. 10 years out, and they are playing 2,500 seat clubs(and don't go to the manila card on me here, as that is a fuckin aberration). Despite what the Pineda Army will tell you, and it's always 100% blind myopic bullshit by the way, "Perry never got Journey to a stadium, but Arnel got them to the Super Bowl." If Perry were still in Journey, they most likely would have played the Super Bowl, not the beer garden in the south parking lot. The facts are, Perry is the sole reason that Journey was a household name. Sure, Schon and Friga were important, as was Smith, but none of those guys could single handily be responsible for the heights attained, like Perry was/is.

Ask yourself this question. Would Journey exist today, if they started from ground zero, post TBF? Would they be around today, in the 10 years since perry walked out? What body of work do they possess to suggest that they would be a player on tour or in sales? Revelation sold 500K copies. You think they would have sold 40K if there wasn't a history of the legacy? LOL, they wouldn't even make it on the big stage nowadays if not for the history. And before any of you say, "bullshit," let's see journey play NO Perry songs at all, and then show me the tour numbers. They would be lucky to draw 500 people a gig.
Last edited by Rockindeano on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Onestepper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 am

Rockindeano wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

LOL, come on Rhiannon, pick a fucking side and stay there at least for 6 months.

Perry built up the Journey so high and so solid, that they couldn't possibly crumble to dust with what was in the bank. They did try however, to run it into the ground, and damned near succeeded. Major effort points for lip syncing. That was a goodie. Major points for using people in the band, singers, web designers, and oh yeah, fans. Seriously, you don't see the slightest dichotomy between Journey fore and journey current? Are you saying the paint is just as shiny today, and the motor just as strong?

Like I said, pull your head out, you're better than this.

Perry is responsible for Journey achieving the heights they did. This is not up for debate. The scorecard will tell you when you look at it, that 5 players played, and they as a group did escalate the mountain together, however, before Perry joined, they were on the ground floor. When Perry left, they were quite high in the sky, regardless of what the Perry haters will tell you. 10 years out, and they are playing 2,500 seat clubs(and don't go to the manila card on me here, as that is a fuckin aberration). Despite what the Pineda Army will tell you, and it's always 100% blind myopic bullshit by the way, "Perry never got Journey to a stadium, but Arnel got them to the Super Bowl." If perry were still in Journey, they most likely would have played the super Bowl, not the beer garden in the south parking lot. The facts are, Perry is the sole reason that Journey was a household name. Sure, Schon and Friga were important, as was Smith, but none of those guys could single handily be responsible for the heights attained, like Perry was/is.

Ask yourself this question. Would Journey exist today, if they started from ground zero, post TBF? Would they be around today, in the 10 years since perry walked out? What body of work do they possess to suggest that they would be a player on tour or in sales? Revelation sold 500K copies. You think they would have sold 40K if there wasn't a history of the legacy? LOL, they wouldn't even make it on the big stage nowadays if not for the history. And before any of you say, "bullshit," let's see journey play NO Perry songs at all, and then show me the tour numbers. They would be lucky to draw 500 people a gig.

Uhm. You've indirectly made her point. Yes, you have.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey