True Grit

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

True Grit

Postby Jeremey » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:41 am

Great film, saw it this afternoon...Been a while since a good western, and having see Jeff Bridges in both Tron and TrueGrit this week, a second Best Actor nod wouldn't be out of the question. The actress who played Mattie though was the highlight of the film...

Go see it!
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am

First!
Don
Super Audio CD

Re: True Grit

Postby artist4perry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 am

Jeremey wrote:Great film, saw it this afternoon...Been a while since a good western, and having see Jeff Bridges in both Tron and TrueGrit this week, a second Best Actor nod wouldn't be out of the question. The actress who played Mattie though was the highlight of the film...

Go see it!

Really good? I loved the first one so much, it could go either way. I hope so, a great story for sure! That gal was from Darnell and Yell County...........in Arkansas. Mattie the character that is! :wink:
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby Jeremey » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:53 am

artist4perry wrote:
Jeremey wrote:Great film, saw it this afternoon...Been a while since a good western, and having see Jeff Bridges in both Tron and TrueGrit this week, a second Best Actor nod wouldn't be out of the question. The actress who played Mattie though was the highlight of the film...

Go see it!

Really good? I loved the first one so much, it could go either way. I hope so, a great story for sure! That gal was from Darnell and Yell County...........in Arkansas. Mattie the character that is! :wink:

I never saw the original, so I can't make a comparison...I have to believe Bridges could disappear in the role a bit more than a huge star like John Wayne. I've read reviews that said this version is a bit more "real" and Cogburn is more menacing and unpredictable.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby artist4perry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 am

Jeremey wrote:
artist4perry wrote:

Go see it!

I never saw the original, so I can't make a comparison...I have to believe Bridges could disappear in the role a bit more than a huge star like John Wayne. I've read reviews that said this version is a bit more "real" and Cogburn is more menacing and unpredictable.

It was a great movie. I love and cringe at the part where Mattie falls into the rattlesnake pit and gets bit by a rattlesnake! :shock: :shock: :shock:
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby slucero » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 am

The original is awesome... has a bit more humor in it.. the Duke was always making fun of himself in his films.. what I've read of the new version is that its a bit darker...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Jeremey » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:05 am

artist4perry wrote:
It was a great movie. I love and cringe at the part where Mattie falls into the rattlesnake pit and gets bit by a rattlesnake! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I heard about that in the original..

Unfortunately they did tinker a bit with the movie to make it more "modern," and Mattie falls into a foxhole of gay soldiers. Luckily the "snakes" had no interest in her, and Cogburn lifted her out to safety.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby artist4perry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 am

Jeremey wrote:
artist4perry wrote:

I heard about that in the original..

Unfortunately they did tinker a bit with the movie to make it more "modern," and Mattie falls into a foxhole of gay soldiers. Luckily the "snakes" had no interest in her, and Cogburn lifted her out to safety.

I don't think they would be interested in her. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
artist4perry
MP3

Postby Peartree12249 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:58 am

Just went to see it this afternoon, great film with a strong cast & an excellent script. I love just about everything the Coen brothers have ever done. I saw the original and I'm a huge John 'Wayne fan, but I really llked this version better. Somebody is going to get an Oscar nomination for this movie.
Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Peartree12249
Stereo LP

Postby dabstudio » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:19 am

I saw this Christmas Eve, it was a GREAT PICTURE, one of 2010's best!!

I predict Oscar or Golden Globe nominations to - Jeff Bridges (best actor), Hailee Steinfeld (best supporting actress), True Grit (best movie).
dabstudio
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:38 am

Debating wether to catch a matinee of this, or Tron today.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Jeremey » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:03 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Debating wether to catch a matinee of this, or Tron today.

Tron isn't worth seeing unless in IMAX 3D...it looks great but it's a ridiculous story.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 am

What did you guys think of Open Range? One of my favorite 'Westerns'.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Peartree12249 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 am

I really liked it, Can't go wrong with Robert Duvall & Kevin Costner IMO. :)
Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Peartree12249
Stereo LP

Postby Rip Rokken » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:59 am

Just saw this yesterday. Loved it but wished the ending had wound things down a little slower. I think it made the point it wanted to make, though, and it may have been closer to the book. I've only seen parts of the original, and will watch it soon. Will also watch Wayne's other film, Rooster Cogburn.
Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 am

One of the best portrayals I've seen in a western, or any other movie was Ben Foster's in 3:10 to Yuma.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

S2M wrote:One of the best portrayals I've seen in a western, or any other movie was Ben Foster's in 3:10 to Yuma.

I thought Foster was the worst thing about that movie. He's like Justin Timberlake, another graduate of the Mickey Mouse house, whose balls have yet to drop. He got alot of good reviews for his performance tho. I just thought he was unconvincing.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 am

Jeremey wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Debating wether to catch a matinee of this, or Tron today.

Tron isn't worth seeing unless in IMAX 3D...it looks great but it's a ridiculous story.

Thanks 4 the advice. Saw True Grit last night. It was great.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby X factor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 am

tremendous film. I think it's reverant towards the original, but it totally stands on it own merits. And my Lord! Kim Darby couldn't hold a candle to Hallie Steinfeld. (The Duke his own self was said to have commented that Darby was one of the worst co-stars he ever shared the screen with) And God love Glen Campbell, but Matt Damon just owns him in this role! To "the Dude's" credit, he took a completely different approach to Cogburn and didn't just try to play the Duke note for note. Wayne was definitely deserving of his oscar for the original (and I'm a big fan of it and many other late career Wayne films like "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist") but Bridges truly makes the role his own. A very positive movie-going experience.
Best line? "Keep your seat, trash!"
X factor
Cassette Tape

Postby KDOUBLEU » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am

Saw it, loved it But... I still like the original better. You just cant beat the Duke.
KDOUBLEU
Cassette Tape

Postby Rip Rokken » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:36 pm

S2M wrote:What did you guys think of Open Range? One of my favorite 'Westerns'.

I didn't care for Open Range. It's been a while but I remember reading a review back then that helped me understand what they were trying to accomplish with that film. They were trying to emulate a particular style of old Western novels, where apparently the pace and story were intentionally slow and sometimes meandered into seemingly unrelated events. One scene they mentioned as an example also really stuck out to me when I saw it -- the heavy rain or flood, where they rescued some dog being carried away. Again, it's been a while so my memory isn't that great on it, but I remember thinking "What the heck does this have to do with the movie?" It seemed like the type of scene that would hit a cutting room floor. I can appreciate the art in what they were going for, but the problem is I doubt many people could relate so to me at least, it just came off as a boring-ass, nonsensical crap movie.

I'm not always sure about Kevin Costner anyway. He had some huge success with films like Field of Dreams and Dances With Wolves and it seemed to go to his head. He kept trying to make the next Kevin Costner "epic", and started sucking pretty bad. Robin Hood was entertaining, but WaterWorld and The Postman speak for themselves. I never saw Wyatt Earp, either, though I see it all the time in the Wal-Mart $5 DVD bin. Tombstone is one of my favorite westerns of all time, and I just have no desire to see anyone else as Wyatt Earp after that. Same for Billy the Kid after Emilio Estevez's portrayal in Young Guns I and II. I loved them both!
Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Jeremey wrote:

Thanks 4 the advice. Saw True Grit last night. It was great.

Dude, you see the original? If so, care to compare and contrast?

I think John Wayne was the shit..I loved his film.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Don » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Rip Rokken wrote:
S2M wrote:What did you guys think of Open Range? One of my favorite 'Westerns'.

I didn't care for Open Range....

I'm not always sure about Kevin Costner anyway. He had some huge success with films like Field of Dreams and Dances With Wolves and it seemed to go to his head. He kept trying to make the next Kevin Costner "epic", and started sucking pretty bad. Robin Hood was entertaining, but WaterWorld and The Postman speak for themselves. I never saw Wyatt Earp, either, though I see it all the time in the Wal-Mart $5 DVD bin. Tombstone is one of my favorite westerns of all time, and I just have no desire to see anyone else as Wyatt Earp after that. Same for Billy the Kid after Emilio Estevez's portrayal in Young Guns I and II. I loved them both!

I liked Open Range for very fact it wasn't quite as strucured as some films are. I didn't really care for Field Of Dreams, I never got why that was such a great film.

Costner is hit or miss for me. LOVED No Way Out (an updated remake of The Big Clock) but Dances With Wolves, on the other hand was just too in love with itself. When it comes to epics involving Native Americans, Black Robe puts DWW to shame.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby kgdjpubs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Don wrote:Costner is hit or miss for me. LOVED No Way Out (an updated remake of The Big Clock).

ahh, at least someone who sees the greatness of that film. Took me forever to find it on dvd. Takes a bit to get going, and some of the early stuff could have been edited out easily, but once it gets going, hold on!
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:55 pm

kgdjpubs wrote:
Don wrote:Costner is hit or miss for me. LOVED No Way Out (an updated remake of The Big Clock).

ahh, at least someone who sees the greatness of that film. Took me forever to find it on dvd. Takes a bit to get going, and some of the early stuff could have been edited out easily, but once it gets going, hold on!

They were playing that in a club in Angeles City in the Philippines. I was constantly trying to get the dancers out my way so I could watch it. Ended up renting the Laserdisc version at the base video store and rewatching it again, sans interruption. Just a great movie. Maybe because I missed the first five minutes of it, I didn't see the ending coming at all. What a wonderful twist.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby artist4perry » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:03 pm

I tried to go see True Grit last Tuesday, but the lines were so long we decided to wait. Who wants to watch it with peoples kids screaming in your ear and overcrowded conditions? I will try again soon. It sounds great though. :D
artist4perry
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Rockindeano wrote:Dude, you see the original? If so, care to compare and contrast?

Can't say that I have. The original is one of those classic films you feel obligated to watch, but just can't be bothered. I've never been that big on westerns anyway. I was actually dragged to the remake. My vote was for getting baked and seeing Tron 2.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Jeremey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:48 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Rockindeano wrote:Dude, you see the original? If so, care to compare and contrast?

Can't say that I have. The original is one of those classic films you feel obligated to watch, but just can't be bothered. I've never been that big on westerns anyway. I was actually dragged to the remake. My vote was for getting baked and seeing Tron 2.

Since this isnt Facebook I guess I can't "Like" this comment?
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby texafana » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 pm

The wife and I assumed the young actress who played Mattie was older than the 14 she played on film, we were wrong. She was 13 when she made the movie. Wow... her first film too. Looks like a star in the making and she looks much better outside the film.
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 am

Great movie. It pays absolute respect to the original. A little more serious and dark. I had my reserves about anyone else even trying to play Rooster Cogburn, but Jeff Bridges was excellent. Matt Damon plays Glenn Campbell's part, Josh Brolin is Tom Chaney, Barry Pepper plays Lucky Ned Pepper, and a new comer plays Mattie. Outside of John Wayne and possibly Robert Duval (Ned Pepper), I think the remake has a much stronger cast. The kid playing Mattie was really good and a whole lot less annoying than Kim Darby, who I was never much of a fan of. Awesome remake though.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Next

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara