Randy Goodrum/Foolish Heart

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Randy Goodrum/Foolish Heart

Postby Arkansas » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 am

About a year ago on AETN (Arkansas Educational Television Network), four Arkansans got together right here in a local studio and taped this show called, 'Wayland Holyfield and Friends'. And one of those friends is Randy Goodrum. Here's a piece of the show where he talks about 'Foolish Heart', and plays some of the original writing. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EixEbNwPdg

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Postby onmyjrny » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:21 am

Great story! :D Thanks for posting!
onmyjrny
45 RPM

Postby tbear1256 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 am

Arkansas, Thanks for sharing that we us.

It's is always interesting to me to hear the story behind the song.

It was amusing that he thought Steve was Aerosmith's lead guitar player.

Steve sang it with such emotion, and that's what made it a hit.

Peace. :wink:

TV : )
tbear1256
45 RPM

Postby ADALBL » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Don't agree it is the best song Steve ever sang. Don't get me wrong, he is amazing on the FH vocal but I have to wonder how many of Steve's vocals outside the big hits he has really heard... maybe all, but I tend to doubt it...
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby Arkansas » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

ADALBL wrote:Don't agree it is the best song Steve ever sang. Don't get me wrong, he is amazing on the FH vocal but I have to wonder how many of Steve's vocals outside the big hits he has really heard... maybe all, but I tend to doubt it...

Those guys in the AETN show are all major league song writers since way back when. It might surprise us as to how much of the music world they really have ties. But even though they've all been around the world many times, meaning that they've collectively worked with pretty much everyone, I agree that they probably haven't studied every single Perry vocal. However, I think the context of that comment in this clip is only what Perry & Goodrum wrote, or the 'Street Talk' album itself. And really, it may have been just friendly patronage since he told the story & sang that particular song.

http://www.aetn.org/engage/blog/posts/b ... nd_friends

Also, I tend to think of these guys like many other song writers (ie, Diane Warren, etc) that all the performers and producers know. And I'm sure that quite often, they do their homework/research on an artist whenever they're asked to work on a project. They may not have heard every single darned song that the fans have, but I'd bet that they know exactly who's who & who's done what.

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Postby timstar78 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Fun story.

Always liked this song and I do think it is one of Steve's finer vocal moments. That is further evident to me in hearing Goodrum sing it. He's obviously not a vocalist, but the song still comes across as something that would have potential. Take that song and wrap Steve's voice around it, and then you really have something special.
timstar78
45 RPM

Postby onmyjrny » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 pm

timstar78 wrote:Fun story.

Always liked this song and I do think it is one of Steve's finer vocal moments. That is further evident to me in hearing Goodrum sing it. He's obviously not a vocalist, but the song still comes across as something that would have potential. Take that song and wrap Steve's voice around it, and then you really have something special.

I think that was the key to the success of a lot of his work. Even when the lyrics were weak, the words were sung with such feeling that it really didn't matter. :)
onmyjrny
45 RPM

Postby tammy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks, that was neat. It always amazes me that songwriters can whip up a song out of the air in less than a day and it becomes a successful hit and lives forever. Not only that, but that it can take on a life of its own when sung/played with the emotion and become so personal and emotional to a listener. I always love hearing how songs came about...it's magical.
It's also funny to me that there are brilliant songwriters that don't have the vocals to match and there are brilliant singers that don't have the songwriting ability...the very special ones have both and have that certain added ingredient which is hard to define, but you just "know it".
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 am

and here's the man singing it live...

http://www.youtube.com/user/rodrigof1?f ... CCTEZ8zYp4

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:44 am

slucero wrote:and here's the man singing it live...

I seriously think the man got better...alot better as he got older.
I am not sure if Steve knows ...but we missed out on alot of talent... and many 'what might have beens' since he left.
As he got older, it seems as if his preforming style matured.

The guy is missed.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:11 pm

I think Steve's idea of 'average' is what others would label 'perfection'.
I think I mentioned this in a post a while back, but my father sang ' for his supper' alongside Frank Sinatra back in the depression.
My dad was a fan of Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Crosby Vaughn Monroe and some of the other greats.

My father was not a fan of Rock Music, but my father knew talent when he saw it and heard it, and he told me that Steven Perry was one of the greatest pure vocal talents he had ever heard.
He was right.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby swataz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:02 am

slucero wrote:and here's the man singing it live...

I think this tour peaked in NYC. Glad I was there. ;)
swataz
LP

Re: Randy Goodrum/Foolish Heart

Postby TRAGChick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 am

Arkansas wrote:About a year ago on AETN (Arkansas Educational Television Network), four Arkansans got together right here in a local studio and taped this show called, 'Wayland Holyfield and Friends'. And one of those friends is Randy Goodrum. Here's a piece of the show where he talks about 'Foolish Heart', and plays some of the original writing. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EixEbNwPdg

later~

Randy Goodrum lived in CONNECTICUT?! :shock:
Facebook: Search TRAG
TRAGChick
Compact Disc

Return to Steve Perry