Review: 'The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live' DVD

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am

Babyblue wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:

From the Seattle PI:
"The group rock convincingly, and Lawrence Gowan's voice and keyboards actually do a very good impression of Dennis De Young's."
and....
"I honestly have to give Gowan credit for sounding so much like the man he replaced."

I'm sorry, but sounding like an off-key Alvin and the Chipmunks does not make a good impression of or a soundalike of Dennis DeYoung :?

These people need hearing tests.

My hearing is just fine :wink: Thank you, very much :D

OK, OK. So it's a tone deaf issue then. 8)
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Sorry, but if you don't think this is a quality release, then you're a complete DOPE. Seriously, whatever your feelings on the Politics of STYX, let it go for one night and just enjoy the show. This DVD is super good and you really gotta hand it to Gowan for pulling this stuff off live. Mostly, the songs they never did live, were pretty darned intricate arrangements. YES Dennis was a huge component of that. This takes NOTHING away from Dennis and his Godly gifts, but man... Gowan NAILED these tunes as did Tommy. Gowan's keyboard playing is brilliant. His vocals are good and hey, it's not Dennis, but he does a great job.

It was great hearing the songs they never did live. They hadn't played them live long enough to take liberties with the arrangements, so they're VERY much like the original albums which I like. However, the stuff they have played live for a long time (BCM, etc.) they're taking a lot of liberties with the parts. I WISH JY would quit playing during the opening harmonies for Renegade. They've been doing that for a few years now and that intro is SO much more dramatic and effective without that guitar under the harmonies, small bitch.

Seriously, it's such a great package. I give the band a lot of crap because I REALLY want new music from these guys. But this performance was produced and executed so well. The sound is excellent. I'm sure that some "sweetening" was done in the studio after the fact, especially the harmonies, but that's how these things have ALWAYS been. Not a big deal to me.

I also dig the behind the scenes deal. One guy in the credits, Stan Green- Video Technician (who wasn't in the backstage section of the DVD and was a lighting guy, not a VT), was my lighting guy and friend when I was just starting out playing high schools in Washington when I was like 17. So COOL to see his name in the credits of this and also Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream documentary. The guy was always imaginative and funny and just a great guy to know. Nice to see him doing well for himself.

The only way this could've been better is if it was filmed in 1978. Gotta hand it to present-day STYX. This is one helluva show.
Last edited by brywool on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
brywool
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 am

brywool wrote:Sorry, but if you don't think this is a quality release, then you're a complete DOPE. Seriously, whatever your feelings on the Politics of STYX, let it go for one night and just enjoy the show. This DVD is super good and you really gotta hand it to Gowan for pulling this stuff off live. Mostly, the songs they never did live, were pretty darned intricate arrangements. YES Dennis was a huge component of that. This takes NOTHING away from Dennis and his Godly gifts, but man... Gowan NAILED these tunes as did Tommy. Gowan's keyboard playing is brilliant. His vocals are good and hey, it's not Dennis, but he does a great job.

It was great hearing the songs they never did live. They hadn't played them live long enough to take liberties with the arrangements, so they're VERY much like the original albums which I like. However, the stuff they have played live for a long time (BCM, etc.) they're taking a lot of liberties with the parts. I WISH JY would quit playing during the opening harmonies for Renegade. They've been doing that for a few years now and that intro is SO much more dramatic and effective without that guitar under the harmonies, small bitch.

Seriously, it's such a great package. I give the band a lot of crap because I REALLY want new music from these guys. But this performance was produced and executed so well. The sound is excellent. I'm sure that some "sweetening" was done in the studio after the fact, especially the harmonies, but that's how these things have ALWAYS been. Not a big deal to me.

I also dig the behind the scenes deal. One guy in the credits, Stan Green- Video Technician (who wasn't in the backstage section of the DVD), was my lighting guy and friend when I was just starting out playing high schools in Washington when I was like 17. So COOL to see his name in the credits of this and also Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream documentary. The guy was always imaginative and funny and just a great guy to know. Nice to see him doing well for himself.

The only way this could've been better is if it was filmed in 1978. Gotta hand it to present-day STYX. This is one helluva show.

I'm sure this is a quality product. The band puts on a professional show I am sure. I am just not a fan of Gowan's voice on Dennis' material. That has nothing to do with saying this is a well produced DVD.
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby DarrenUK » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:14 am

Number 2 on the Amazon Blue Ray chart and number 6 on the DVD chart ......
DarrenUK
Cassette Tape

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Boomchild wrote: I'm sure this is a quality product. The band puts on a professional show I am sure. I am just not a fan of Gowan's voice on Dennis' material. That has nothing to do with saying this is a well produced DVD.

Here too, just not a fan of Lawrence Gowan. As much as I rib and kid about him singing Dennis' music, he is talented in his own right :?
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 am

DarrenUK wrote:Number 2 on the Amazon Blue Ray chart and number 6 on the DVD chart ......

Where is the longevity here?

Now #6584 on movies and tv and #78 on concert videos... out just 2 weeks...
Toph
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8whitehope » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:48 am

Rockwriter wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:Bad review Sterling.

How so?

Sterling

Vocals were great on Castle Walls and Po8.
gr8whitehope
Ol' 78

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 pm

gr8whitehope wrote:
Rockwriter wrote:

How so?

Sterling

In your opinion. Definitely not fact. In my opinion they were bad and do not fit the song.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby gr8whitehope » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Rockwriter wrote:

How so?

Sterling

In your opinion. Definitely not fact. In my opinion they were bad and do not fit the song.

My opinion is fact. Obey me.
gr8whitehope
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm

gr8whitehope wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Rockwriter wrote:

How so?

Sterling

My opinion is fact. Obey me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby Rockwriter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:41 am

gr8whitehope wrote:
Rockwriter wrote:

How so?

Sterling

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . well, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree about that one, LOL.

Sterling
Author, 'The Grand Delusion: The Unauthorized True Story of Styx'
Rockwriter
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 am

gr8whitehope wrote:
Rockwriter wrote:

How so?

Sterling

Just wonderin'... are you a drinker?
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby brywool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:41 am

Gr8whitehope is right. Pieces of eight is the high point of this DVD.
brywool
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 am

brywool wrote:Gr8whitehope is right. Pieces of eight is the high point of this DVD.

Are you fucking high??? How could that song be a high point unless it's sung by Dennis himself? Gowan's vocals ruin what is my favorite Styx song. If there is a highlight then it would clearly be a Tommy Shaw song. Man in the Wilderness buries anything that Gowan sings.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Toph wrote:
DarrenUK wrote:Number 2 on the Amazon Blue Ray chart and number 6 on the DVD chart ......

After 2 weeks it sold 2891 in the USA and 501 in Canada in total sales. This is according to SoundScan, anyone can look up this information on the sales of albums, oops, I mean cds & dvds.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

After 2 weeks it sold 2891 in the USA and 501 in Canada in total sales. This is according to SoundScan, anyone can look up this information on the sales of albums, oops, I mean cds & dvds.

Damn its on fire!!!!!
Toph
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 am

Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:46 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Sales update: 3 7 10 18 STYX GRAND ILLUSION/PIECE 788 -28 1090 3,679 thanks to ukmix.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am

jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Sales update: 3 7 10 18 STYX GRAND ILLUSION/PIECE 788 -28 1090 3,679 thanks to ukmix.

I wonder what amount they would have to sell for this not to be a loss for them?
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Boomchild wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

I wonder what amount they would have to sell for this not to be a loss for them?

Do the math - no way this isn't a huge loss for them.

3,700 copies sold x $15 retail price point = $55,500 in retail sales

Retail Margin - 30%; $16,500

Net Profit - $39,000 to record company

How much did this cost to record? $100K?

Huge loss.
Toph
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Huge loss.

Well,I'm no expert and am not going to argue your math.
Yes it would be a huge loss if they only had 3 weeks to make their money back.
But if Styx is allowed to take into account, sales over their next couple of tours,
I think they will break even for sure.They may even make a bit of a profit,
but not enough to buy a new mansion of course.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 pm

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Huge loss.

But if Styx is allowed to take into account, sales over their next couple of tours,

Well, I don't think it has been out long enough to determine if it will be a profit or loss. However, one would think that the die hard fans have gotten this by now. They may have better success selling it at the merch. table on tour. IF they promote it correctly.
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Boomchild wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Huge loss.

Well, I don't think it has been out long enough to determine if it will be a profit or loss. However, one would think that the die hard fans have gotten this by now. They may have better success selling it at the merch. table on tour. IF they promote it correctly.

At this stage,I don't think I would spend money on advertising.
At least not yet.
It will sell at the merch table for sure,and without promotion.
Every concert I have been to over the last couple of years,there is always healthy traffic through the merch booths.
It will sell.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Cassette Tape

Postby kansas666 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 am

Toph wrote:

What record company? :roll:
Dave
kansas666
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:59 am

kansas666 wrote:
Toph wrote:

What record company? :roll:

Mmmm..... Eagle Rock Entertainment who is distributing the release at retail etc.. Which was the right decision. Had they only done direct sales of this then they would have lost their shirts on it.
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby bugsymalone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 am

jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

I think we have our answer as to why no album of new material will be forthcoming from this current Styx band ... ever. There is simply no market for it. This should have been something fans of the current group would have loved to put in their collection, especially the songs rarely sung live. So, around 4,000 people cared, it seems.

Yes, it will sell a few more at the shows and down the road, but the big push is over and this is all they have to show for it. I think the Canada numbers are the most surprising.

Bugsy
Change your hairdo. Change your name.
Congratulations! You're still the same.
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 pm

bugsymalone wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

I think we have our answer as to why no album of new material will be forthcoming from this current Styx band ... ever. There is simply no market for it. This should have been something fans of the current group would have loved to put in their collection, especially the songs rarely sung live. So, around 4,000 people cared, it seems.

Yes, it will sell a few more at the shows and down the road, but the big push is over and this is all they have to show for it. I think the Canada numbers are the most surprising.

Bugsy

Well, if their only motivation to produce a album of new material is a large volume of sales then your right. Their are classic bands\artists that are doing it and they know going into it that their not going to sell huge volumes. So those bands\artists must be doing it for the love of making new music, please their core fan base or some other non-monetary reason. Clearly those are not motivators for Styx.
Boomchild
Stereo LP

Postby Rockwriter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 am

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
jrny84 wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Toph wrote:

Damn its on fire!!!!!

Especially in Canada!!

Huge loss.

It's incredibly unlikely it cost anywhere near that to film. Why should it? The only costs are cameras and operators, the rest of the show exists already. Operators don't cost much, and digital filming is inexpensive. And JY's friend Steve Jones, who did the graphics for the tour, is a well-known movie producer who can probably get them what they need to film at cost or just above.

The retail sales are not going to be the major numbers for this project. The major numbers will be at the merchandise table and won't be Soundscan reported, more than likely. Also don't leave out the rights for broadcast on VH1 and whatever other channels may eventually broadcast this material. I'm not saying it's going to make a fortune, but I don't think it will lose money in the end.

Also, we can't take those sales numbers as a referendum on the current lineup of Styx. The numbers on the sales of concert DVDs are tanking across the board. Ian Anderson told me the week before last that he doesn't think it's financially viable for bands to even bother with filming concert DVDs anymore. The numbers are just too soft, due in no small part to piracy, as with everything else.

I think we'll probably see bands developing a model whereby you can stream HD live content right from their web sites for a fee, thereby cutting out manufacturing and distribution costs altogether. I'd like to see Styx and other classic bands try a tiered, multi-level subcription that offers different content for different levels of fans. Then it would up to each fan to decide how much each band is worth to them, instead of the one-size-fits-all pricing that we have as part of the business model now.

Sterling
Author, 'The Grand Delusion: The Unauthorized True Story of Styx'
Rockwriter
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 am

4 10 18 19 STYX GRAND ILLUSION/PIECE 587 -26 788 4266

Still having decent sales for this dvd.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby Toph » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 am

jrny84 wrote:4 10 18 19 STYX GRAND ILLUSION/PIECE 587 -26 788 4266

Still having decent sales for this dvd.

Would you mind defining the numbers please? I think the first set is current chart position? What are the numbers on the back end?
Thanks so much!
Toph
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Styx