6 Superbowl Halftime Ideas Better Than Madonna

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

6 Superbowl Halftime Ideas Better Than Madonna

Postby Kor'n » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:09 pm

http://scribol.com/stories/linkgrid/359 ... 299?page=4

"The more I typed out this idea, the more I loved it. Journey is perfect for the Super Bowl halftime show, and something tells me if Perry was still with them they’d have booked the gig by now.

Despite Pineda’s excellence as a Perry sub, Perry’s absence lessens the appeal, and thus restricts how many Scowling Eltons I can give this one. I’ll go begrudgingly with five. But if Perry ever agreed to reunite, bump this one all the way to #2."
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Great article.

"And consider this: what if Steve Perry came back and sang with Arnel Pineda? It would be like Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck playing quarterback for the Colts. Sure, it could get awkward, but the pure spectacle of it would be awesome."

"Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice and far more appropriate for the stage and setting than Madonna."

^ Telling, isn't it? :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Kor'n » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Gideon wrote:Great article.

"And consider this: what if Steve Perry came back and sang with Arnel Pineda? It would be like Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck playing quarterback for the Colts. Sure, it could get awkward, but the pure spectacle of it would be awesome."

"Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice and far more appropriate for the stage and setting than Madonna."

^ Telling, isn't it? :lol:

More "Telling" isn't it?" :lol: May I repeat....

"if Perry was still with them they’d have booked the gig by now."

"Perry’s absence lessens the appeal"

We all would be gearing up to watch Journey on the big stage on Sunday instead of in the parking lot, as in 2009.

"Perry made it (DSB) great but the song has eclipsed the singer." 2010
It also eclipsed "Eclipse."
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm

"May I repeat"...

Gideon wrote:"Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice"
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Kor'n » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Gideon wrote:"May I repeat"...

Gideon wrote:"Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice"

Yep, the sinking words. Too bad "whoever is singing lead" other than Perry (May I repeat) "lessens the appeal." Glee probably has a greater chance of getting the gig or maybe Adam Lambert could up the ante. He was awesome with Queen at MTVs.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Kor'n wrote:

Yep, the sinking words. Too bad "whoever is singing lead" other than Perry (May I repeat) "lessens the appeal." Glee probably has a greater chance of getting the gig or maybe Adam Lambert could up the ante. He was awesome with Queen at MTVs.

"Too bad" that while it may "lessen the appeal", a Perryless Journey "would [still] be an awesome choice." And round and round we go. :lol:

Didn't watch Lambert&Queen, so I can't comment. I've never been a big fan of either.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:53 pm

As long as it isn't NS g/f... :shock:
Saw that trainwreck already ... :shock: :lol:
On missing Steve Perry .. "His intuition. His sensibility. He had a certain panache and style that I clicked with. And there will always be that chemistry that we had. It was the most success that I've ever been associated with." Jon Cain 2011
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:55 pm

tater1977 wrote:

Within the body of a whore may lie the voice of an angel. After all, anything is possible! :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Gideon wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

Within the body of a whore may lie the voice of an angel. After all, anything is possible! :shock: :twisted: :lol:

LOL not really cause we already heard her auto tuned voice... :wink: :lol:
On missing Steve Perry .. "His intuition. His sensibility. He had a certain panache and style that I clicked with. And there will always be that chemistry that we had. It was the most success that I've ever been associated with." Jon Cain 2011
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby sp old ldy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 am

SP SP SP SP SP SP.......... :D
sp old ldy
LP

Postby annie89509 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 pm

What are we reading here? Clicked on the link and just got a page of celebrity photos.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby journey361 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:34 am

I would have to say either the Tommy Dorsey Band or the Jack-The-Ripper band. Either way, both would have to engage in autotune due to their time away from the spotlight..
journey361
LP

Postby Don » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am

While Journey might be "an awesome choice," without Perry it won't happen. According to those behind the scenes, the band was supposed to perform during the seventh inning stretch at the World Series in San Francisco a few years back but "someone" nixed it. Any guesses who?
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Kor'n » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 pm

annie89509 wrote:What are we reading here? Clicked on the link and just got a page of celebrity photos.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2012/0 ... cribol.com

I think this links directly to the article. SP's picture was there leading to article, but guess it rotated away.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Kor'n » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 pm

"Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice"

Kor'n wrote:Yep, the sinking words. Too bad "whoever is singing lead" other than Perry (May I repeat) "lessens the appeal." Glee probably has a greater chance of getting the gig or maybe Adam Lambert could up the ante. He was awesome with Queen at MTVs.

Gideon wrote:Too bad" that while it may "lessen the appeal", a Perryless Journey "would [still] be an awesome choice." And round and round we go. :lol:

Didn't watch Lambert&Queen, so I can't comment. I've never been a big fan of either.

Too bad "whoever is singing lead" sounds so generic. Guess that's why Cain was worrying about Glee "taking" "DSB" as its own when nominated for the emmy. There is no "appeal" for tribute/cover bands.

You think "a Perryless Journey" "would be an awesome choice." By the way, who are you? "round and round...." :lol:

Lambert is Awesome! He figuratively holds the audience in the "palm of his hands."
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Kor'n wrote:You think "a Perryless Journey" "would be an awesome choice."

No, I'm quoting the author of the article you cited. In his words: "Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice and far more appropriate for the stage and setting than Madonna."

Kor'n wrote:There is no "appeal" for tribute/cover bands.

Which is probably why Frontiers isn't being considered and Journey is.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Can't remember but did Journey ever sing at the Super Bowl half
time & not the pre parties?

Hope E1 had a Great Valentines Day...

Lights & Stay Awhile STEVE PERRY - Happy Valentines Day

http://youtu.be/Ld8YXeFn_us
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Kor'n » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Gideon wrote:
Kor'n wrote:You think "a Perryless Journey" "would be an awesome choice."

No, I'm quoting the author of the article you cited. In his words: "Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice and far more appropriate for the stage and setting than Madonna."

Kor'n wrote:There is no "appeal" for tribute/cover bands.

Which is probably why Frontiers isn't being considered and Journey is.

Did I miss something? Remember, there is no "appeal" for Journey tribute/cover band.

"As proof, here is an excellent live version with Perry, then the new studio version with Pineda in case you’ve never heard how much he sounds like Perry."

Maybe that's why no "appeal" for he must come with a banana.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

tater1977 wrote:Can't remember but did Journey ever sing at the Super Bowl half
time & not the pre parties?

No, I think that parking lot tail gate show was the closest they've ever been.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Kor'n wrote:Did I miss something?

Yeah, the line where the article you cited says "Journey would be an awesome choice" for the Superbowl halftime show even without Perry. I'm honestly not sure if this is supposed to be part of the banter or what, but all I'll say is that clearly the author doesn't find a Perryless Journey some sort of tribute band and believes them to still be worthy of the honor of the Superbowl halftime show even without him.

So if there's a point to be made on your end, I return the question: What did I miss?

Kor'n wrote:Remember, there is no "appeal" for Journey tribute/cover band.

Gideon wrote:Which is probably why Frontiers isn't being considered and Journey is.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Kor'n » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Kor'n wrote:Did I miss something?

Gideon wrote:Yeah, the line where the article you cited says "Journey would be an awesome choice" for the Superbowl halftime show even without Perry.

Put on your glasses..

Gideon wrote:I'm honestly not sure if this is supposed to be part of the banter or what, but all I'll say is that clearly the author doesn't find a Perryless Journey some sort of tribute band and believes them to still be worthy of the honor of the Superbowl halftime show even without him.

"I'm honestly not sure if this is supposed to be part of the banter or what, but all I'll say is that clearly the author" does find a Perry sounding Journey to be the only reason to even mention the tribute/cover band. The author would have been more convincing of the tribute/cover band's "worth[iness]" if had spent less time throwing pointers as to how un"worthy" they would be w/o Perry:

"Perry come back and sang with him"
How long has new guy been with band?
"if Perry were with them they would have booked the gig by now"
"Perry's absence lessen the appeal"
"Pineda's excellence as a Perry sub" (submarine?)
Is he in his 5th or 6th year w/the band?
"excellent live version with Perry, then the new studio version with Pineda in case you’ve never heard how much he sounds like Perry."
"if Perry ever agrees to reunite bump to #2"

How long has it been since Perry sang live with the band 1991 (over 20 years)?

Tell the author that Perry is not coming back....

Gideon wrote:So if there's a point to be made on your end, I return the question: What did I miss?

See above, and "point to be made on your end" never gonna happen w/o Perry.

Gideon wrote:Remember there is no "appeal" for Journey tribute/cover band.

Gideon wrote:Which is probably why Frontiers isn't being considered and Journey is.

"Which is probably why' 'consider[ation]" ends for there is no "appeal" for the Journey tribute/cover band.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 am

This has nothing to do with Frontiers or any of the sort, the article doesn't mention a tribute/cover band at all. At the end of the day, the article you cited to trump up Perry only points out that his presence is unnecessary. Maybe you should put on your glasses? :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Kor'n » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Gideon wrote:This has nothing to do with Frontiers or any of the sort, the article doesn't mention a tribute/cover band at all. At the end of the day, the article you cited to trump up Perry only points out that his presence is unnecessary. Maybe you should put on your glasses? :lol:

I have 20/20 vision like the author of the statement. You brought up "Frontiers," and if there is a bonafide "soundalike," as the author points out, then you have a tribute/cover band. "At the end of the day, the [author's] article cited trump[s] up Perry" [b/c it not] only points out that his presence is [necessary] in his eyes ("lessens appeal w/o) but also points out necessity if the band is to get the "gig."

Please review.....
How long has new guy been with band?
"if Perry were with them they would have booked the gig by now"
Is he in his 5th or 6th year w/the band?
"excellent live version with Perry, then the new studio version with Pineda in case you’ve never heard how much he sounds like Perry."
"But if Perry ever agrees to reunite bump to #2" (Author's closing statement)

The author deals with reality, unlike some narrow-minded person,:lol: and places the status quo tribute/cover band at #5 "begrudgingly" when it is well within author's power to move the tribute/coverband w/o Perry to #2, but the author fails to do so b/c the author who deals with reality wants to see Perry with the band b/c w/o him it "lessens the appeal."

Now give me a call when the author decides to move the tribute/cover band from #5 to #2 w/o Steve Perry or when the author decides to post a video of the tribute/cover band singer singing with the band instead of Perry who's been gone from band for over 20 years or when the author stops talking about Perry, whom you say is "unnecessary" or better yet, when the tribute/cover band actually lands the "gig."
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Gideon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm

You're (willfully, I suspect) confusing what is satisfactory with what is preferable, but all I can do is refer you to the author's direct words.

Author wrote:Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice

Kor'n wrote:You brought up "Frontiers," and if there is a bonafide "soundalike," as the author points out, then you have a tribute/cover band.

Since SP brought in "bonafide soundalike" musicians during the FTLOSM tour to cover Journey songs, I guess that counts too. :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 pm

tater1977 wrote::roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did you not like that one? I don't blame you, but then that's why Loons should probably not be in such a rush to play the tribute band card. :wink:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:04 am

Who cares what the author says ...Journey, as it stands,
will never be SB bound unless they are all on the winning
NFC team. Their chances ended w/SP, any sane person
knows that. But if, if, there were a teeny~tiny
fraction of a possibility (that's a snowballs chance in hell),
it ended w/the pre game debacle of two thousand
aaaand???___fill in the year, I haven't a clue!!

lol ...now I understand the Adele thread...haha!!

*edit* what I just said ...this new woman in the band
could change all of ^^^the public/media has some sort
of fascination w/her, which I know nothing about and
don't understand ...she could be their snowball/hell!! :shock:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Kor'n » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Gideon wrote:You're (willfully, I suspect) confusing what is satisfactory with what is preferable, but all I can do is refer you to the author's direct words.

"All I can do is refer you to [ALL OF] the author's direct words."

Gideon's oneliner statement of the Author wrote:Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice

Kor'n's several statements of the Author wrote:
Please review.....
"if Perry were with them they would have booked the gig by now" (Now that's the kicker!):lol:

Kor'n wrote:You brought up "Frontiers," and if there is a bonafide "soundalike," as the author points out, then you have a tribute/cover band.

Gideon wrote:Since SP brought in "bonafide soundalike" musicians during the FTLOSM tour to cover Journey songs, I guess that counts too. :lol:

In the ears "of the beholden." Listen to FTLOSM all the time and appreciate it more each day b/c those guys sound nothing like Journey.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 pm

this is such an irrelevant converstaion.

Steve Perry will never perform live again, with our without Journey.
Journey will never perform at the Super Bowl, with or without Perry.

The entire "Journey is now a cover band" is about ten years past its prime. Geez, get over it already.

Kor'n wrote:
Gideon wrote:You're (willfully, I suspect) confusing what is satisfactory with what is preferable, but all I can do is refer you to the author's direct words.

"All I can do is refer you to [ALL OF] the author's direct words."

Gideon's oneliner statement of the Author wrote:Regardless, whoever is singing lead, Journey would be an awesome choice

Kor'n's several statements of the Author wrote:
Please review.....
"if Perry were with them they would have booked the gig by now" (Now that's the kicker!):lol:

Gideon wrote:Since SP brought in "bonafide soundalike" musicians during the FTLOSM tour to cover Journey songs, I guess that counts too. :lol:

In the ears "of the beholden." Listen to FTLOSM all the time and appreciate it more each day b/c those guys sound nothing like Journey.
Monker
Compact Disc

Return to Steve Perry