Lawrence Gowan review

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.




Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:


You really think arnel can sing? Oy.



Better than Gowan :lol: :wink:


And BTW, I do fault Arnel for sounding TOO much like Steve Perry, at least Gowan isn't trying to sound anything much like Dennis


But, you fault Gowan anyway by the constant critique. You complain when he's in Styx and you complain when he's not. For what end? To satisfy some type of jealousy or envy that he's a successful musician? Is it some kinda forum thrill that you get by doing it and get the old fights trolled up? Do you want to be in the 'in' crowd because you didn't always do this.


Get this, I do like a few of Gowan's songs, but his voice is just not suited to sing Dennis' songs. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't by you because of your obvious slant against Dennis if I make a critique against Gowan. Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada, that's it. No jealousy there, as a matter of fact, I don't give two shits about him otherwise.


Well, first of all, that's not a 'critique', it's a fact. It become outlandish forum spew when it's stated like "that's pretty much all who cares about him".

But, anyway, you answered my question.




I never take your one-sided opinions as facts :roll:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby gr8dane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/


The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV


There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.


Isn't that something.?What were the odds of Dennis getting a free pass ?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.




Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:


You really think arnel can sing? Oy.



Better than Gowan :lol: :wink:


And BTW, I do fault Arnel for sounding TOO much like Steve Perry, at least Gowan isn't trying to sound anything much like Dennis


But, you fault Gowan anyway by the constant critique. You complain when he's in Styx and you complain when he's not. For what end? To satisfy some type of jealousy or envy that he's a successful musician? Is it some kinda forum thrill that you get by doing it and get the old fights trolled up? Do you want to be in the 'in' crowd because you didn't always do this.


Get this, I do like a few of Gowan's songs, but his voice is just not suited to sing Dennis' songs. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't by you because of your obvious slant against Dennis if I make a critique against Gowan. Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada, that's it. No jealousy there, as a matter of fact, I don't give two shits about him otherwise.


Well, first of all, that's not a 'critique', it's a fact. It become outlandish forum spew when it's stated like "that's pretty much all who cares about him".

But, anyway, you answered my question.




I never take your one-sided opinions as facts :roll:


This is what I was saying was a fact, "Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada," Assuming you are talking his solo career, that is a fact, not an opinion of any sort.

You are so jaded you can't even see when I said YOU stated a fact.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 am

Toph wrote:Monker you are such a tool.


thank you! That's the closest thing to a compliment that you are capable of.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:20 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:And you don't think he has the right to bill himself with the Music of Styx?


I have NEVER said that he didn't have the 'right'.

I have said, consistently, that he can't bill himself as a solo act and perform a solo set because not enough people want to see it. The reason he is touring as "...the music Styx" is because STYX is what people want to hear, not "Dennis DeYoung" obscure solo songs.

Gowan doesn't have that right


Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.

I'd rather see a Dennis show where he changes it up a bit every so often (i.e. "Lost Treasures" and his acoustic shows as well as the ones he did with an orchestra) than the same old boring monotonous "Rock Shows" that Styx does with other bands


Stop pretending. He hardly ever does those shows any longer. How many years has it been since an orchestra show or a "Lost Treasures" show? The 'norm' is his "same old monotonous " version of Styx that changes about as much as Styx.


He just did an orchestra show in Florida and has another one scheduled on the 28th of this month in VA. Thanks for paying attention. I hope your job is not in the research field. :roll:


It still does not equate to PF dude's statement of Dennis changing things up. So he does one or two off the normal track show a year. Yeah, that's really changing it up. He is just as 'monotonous' as Styx.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 am

gr8dane wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/


The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV


There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.


Isn't that something.?What were the odds of Dennis getting a free pass ?


Many would give Perry one, too...just out of desperation to hear his voice again.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am

gr8dane wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/


The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV


There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.


Isn't that something.?What were the odds of Dennis getting a free pass ?


And yet you say nothing about Lindsey Buckingham.
BVB
User avatar
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: The Grove of Eglantine

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Monker wrote:
It still does not equate to PF dude's statement of Dennis changing things up. So he does one or two off the normal track show a year. Yeah, that's really changing it up. He is just as 'monotonous' as Styx.




So you prefer the neverending "Rock Shows" tour with "Special Guests" that Styx does than Dennis who has changed it up many times over the last 10 years?


P.S. Monkey, I am still a female
Last edited by pinkfloyd1973 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.




Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:


You really think arnel can sing? Oy.



Better than Gowan :lol: :wink:


And BTW, I do fault Arnel for sounding TOO much like Steve Perry, at least Gowan isn't trying to sound anything much like Dennis


But, you fault Gowan anyway by the constant critique. You complain when he's in Styx and you complain when he's not. For what end? To satisfy some type of jealousy or envy that he's a successful musician? Is it some kinda forum thrill that you get by doing it and get the old fights trolled up? Do you want to be in the 'in' crowd because you didn't always do this.


Get this, I do like a few of Gowan's songs, but his voice is just not suited to sing Dennis' songs. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't by you because of your obvious slant against Dennis if I make a critique against Gowan. Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada, that's it. No jealousy there, as a matter of fact, I don't give two shits about him otherwise.


Well, first of all, that's not a 'critique', it's a fact. It become outlandish forum spew when it's stated like "that's pretty much all who cares about him".

But, anyway, you answered my question.




I never take your one-sided opinions as facts :roll:


This is what I was saying was a fact, "Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada," Assuming you are talking his solo career, that is a fact, not an opinion of any sort.

You are so jaded you can't even see when I said YOU stated a fact.




Whoohoo, he admits i'm right! :wink:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby gr8dane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/


The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV


There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.


Isn't that something.?What were the odds of Dennis getting a free pass ?


And yet you say nothing about Lindsey Buckingham.



Correct me if I'm wrong.But to my knowledge Lindsey was never in Styx or involved with anybody related to,
or their solo projects.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Kor'n » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.




Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:


No, the difference is that neither August nor Arnel have any solo music the public cares about. Gowan has plenty that he can tour Canada with. THAT is the difference.


Does that mean those two karaoke stars are "screwed."? :lol:

Gowan w/Styx killed it on his solo "Criminal Mind" and the audience loved it.
Kor'n
45 RPM
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Kor'n » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:24 am

Monker wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/


The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV


There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.


Isn't that something.?What were the odds of Dennis getting a free pass ?


Many would give Perry one, too...just out of desperation to hear his voice again.


No, now who would do that just to hear him live for the first time? :wink:
Kor'n
45 RPM
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
It still does not equate to PF dude's statement of Dennis changing things up. So he does one or two off the normal track show a year. Yeah, that's really changing it up. He is just as 'monotonous' as Styx.




So you prefer the neverending "Rock Shows" tour with "Special Guests" that Styx does than Dennis who has changed it up many times over the last 10 years?


P.S. Monkey, I am still a female


The last time I saw Styx with another band was probably the "Main Event" tour. The last few times I've seen them, they have been solo. So, exactly what "special guests" are you talking about?

Please look up Dennis' tour schedule for the past 5 years and tell me when was the last time her performed in the Des Moines area. As far as I know, over the last ten years, he has performed his orchestra show, and a rib fest, which I didn't care to see.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
It still does not equate to PF dude's statement of Dennis changing things up. So he does one or two off the normal track show a year. Yeah, that's really changing it up. He is just as 'monotonous' as Styx.




So you prefer the neverending "Rock Shows" tour with "Special Guests" that Styx does than Dennis who has changed it up many times over the last 10 years?


P.S. Monkey, I am still a female


The last time I saw Styx with another band was probably the "Main Event" tour. The last few times I've seen them, they have been solo. So, exactly what "special guests" are you talking about?

Please look up Dennis' tour schedule for the past 5 years and tell me when was the last time her performed in the Des Moines area. As far as I know, over the last ten years, he has performed his orchestra show, and a rib fest, which I didn't care to see.



Now that he knows you're in Des Moines, he'll never go there :wink:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.



Gowan can only tour in Canada and have any success, no one anywhere else knows who he is (except the replacement singer in Styx) :roll:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
It still does not equate to PF dude's statement of Dennis changing things up. So he does one or two off the normal track show a year. Yeah, that's really changing it up. He is just as 'monotonous' as Styx.




So you prefer the neverending "Rock Shows" tour with "Special Guests" that Styx does than Dennis who has changed it up many times over the last 10 years?


P.S. Monkey, I am still a female


The last time I saw Styx with another band was probably the "Main Event" tour. The last few times I've seen them, they have been solo. So, exactly what "special guests" are you talking about?

Please look up Dennis' tour schedule for the past 5 years and tell me when was the last time her performed in the Des Moines area. As far as I know, over the last ten years, he has performed his orchestra show, and a rib fest, which I didn't care to see.




Nice research, he's done more than "Rib Fests" (he did only a few that I know of) and orchestra shows. Do me a big huge favor and travel a little further than your little place in the cornfields and farmlands of Iowa (like Chicago, St. Louis, or Minneapolis) and see his shows, or are you afraid you might actually like it?
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:24 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Please look up Dennis' tour schedule for the past 5 years and tell me when was the last time her performed in the Des Moines area. As far as I know, over the last ten years, he has performed his orchestra show, and a rib fest, which I didn't care to see.


Nice research, he's done more than "Rib Fests" (he did only a few that I know of) and orchestra shows. Do me a big huge favor and travel a little further than your little place in the cornfields and farmlands of Iowa (like Chicago, St. Louis, or Minneapolis) and see his shows, or are you afraid you might actually like it?



The point is, Dennis does perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. Styx does, and they are here roughly every other year or so. So, saying I 'prefer' one over the other is irrelevant since Dennis doesn't perform in the area.

I have no desire to 'travel to see concerts....especially to see a faux Styx concert led by Dennis. We have great large, medium, and small venues, the largest state fair in the country. I have no need to travel to see the music I want. The only time I have done that was to see "Main Event" in Omaha....and a week or so after I bought the tickets, they announced a show in Ames. So, no, I won't travel to Chicago or Minneapolis, or Omaha to see a concert....there's no need to.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:49 am

Monker wrote:The point is, Dennis does perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. Styx does, and they are here roughly every other year or so. So, saying I 'prefer' one over the other is irrelevant since Dennis doesn't perform in the area.

I have no desire to 'travel to see concerts....especially to see a faux Styx concert led by Dennis. We have great large, medium, and small venues, the largest state fair in the country. I have no need to travel to see the music I want. The only time I have done that was to see "Main Event" in Omaha....and a week or so after I bought the tickets, they announced a show in Ames. So, no, I won't travel to Chicago or Minneapolis, or Omaha to see a concert....there's no need to.



Does or does not sell tickets, get your story straight. That's fine if you like going to the state fair circuit, which i'm sure the current Styx sells out in (lmao@ Faux Styx, that's funny right there). You're right, don't go see Dennis because he puts on one hell of a show and changes it up more often than the stale Styx shows you go to every other year :roll:
Last edited by pinkfloyd1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:53 am

Monker wrote: Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.





Oh, so it's Dennis' fans that are at fault that Gowan can't have a successful career here? You have a very faulty argument there, Gowan's just not that popular here. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't had any solo success here in the past, so he is virtually unknown except for those who know him in Styx (and you could probably use the same argument for Dennis too, except he had some minor solo hits here) :?
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 am

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:The point is, Dennis does perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. Styx does, and they are here roughly every other year or so. So, saying I 'prefer' one over the other is irrelevant since Dennis doesn't perform in the area.

I have no desire to 'travel to see concerts....especially to see a faux Styx concert led by Dennis. We have great large, medium, and small venues, the largest state fair in the country. I have no need to travel to see the music I want. The only time I have done that was to see "Main Event" in Omaha....and a week or so after I bought the tickets, they announced a show in Ames. So, no, I won't travel to Chicago or Minneapolis, or Omaha to see a concert....there's no need to.



Does or does not sell tickets, get your story straight. That's fine if you like going to the state fair circuit, which i'm sure the current Styx sells out in (lmao@ Faux Styx, that's funny right there). You're right, don't go see Dennis because he puts on one hell of a show and changes it up more often than the stale Styx shows you go to every other year :roll:


As if Gowan being able to tour solo in Canada trumps Dennis when you look at their entire careers. The reality is that if an artist or act doesn't break the U.S. market they are considered a blip on the radar. Again, the only way Gowan has gotten to perform beyond Canada is to join Styx and sing songs written by Dennis neither of which he had absolutely nothing to do with. People coming to the Styx shows aren't coming there because Gowan is performing his own songs. Whether Dennis performs his Styx material or his solo material it's music he was directly involved with from the beginning. So, in order for Gowan to get exposure beyond Canada he has had to piggy back on someone else's material and brand reputation.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Toph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote: Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.





Oh, so it's Dennis' fans that are at fault that Gowan can't have a successful career here? You have a very faulty argument there, Gowan's just not that popular here. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't had any solo success here in the past, so he is virtually unknown except for those who know him in Styx (and you could probably use the same argument for Dennis too, except he had some minor solo hits here) :?


Desert Moon hit the top 10 and was prominently featured on MTV - hardly minor.
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby gr8dane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:45 am

Looks like Gowan is doing 3 shows at Fallsview Casino in July.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:The point is, Dennis does perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. Styx does, and they are here roughly every other year or so. So, saying I 'prefer' one over the other is irrelevant since Dennis doesn't perform in the area.

I have no desire to 'travel to see concerts....especially to see a faux Styx concert led by Dennis. We have great large, medium, and small venues, the largest state fair in the country. I have no need to travel to see the music I want. The only time I have done that was to see "Main Event" in Omaha....and a week or so after I bought the tickets, they announced a show in Ames. So, no, I won't travel to Chicago or Minneapolis, or Omaha to see a concert....there's no need to.



Does or does not sell tickets, get your story straight. That's fine if you like going to the state fair circuit, which i'm sure the current Styx sells out in (lmao@ Faux Styx, that's funny right there). You're right, don't go see Dennis because he puts on one hell of a show and changes it up more often than the stale Styx shows you go to every other year :roll:


I'm sure you know that was a typo....Dennis does not perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. I've said that in this forum repeatedly.

Nowadays, Styx is too small for the grandstand here...unless it was with the "special guests", as you cal it.

Dennis IS a "faux" Styx....the very reasons he calls it "...and the music of Styx".

I don't go see Dennis because he doesn't perform here and I'm not spending the money to go traveling about to see him, or any other band or performer.

The fact is that Dennis DOES NOT 'change it up' very often. It's the same old faux Styx show over and over again with a few 'special' concerts thrown in a few times per year. You make it sound like every show is different, or at least every tour...he just does not do that.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:32 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote: Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.





Oh, so it's Dennis' fans that are at fault that Gowan can't have a successful career here? You have a very faulty argument there, Gowan's just not that popular here. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't had any solo success here in the past, so he is virtually unknown except for those who know him in Styx (and you could probably use the same argument for Dennis too, except he had some minor solo hits here) :?


there are not enough fans of a solo DDY to make a tour of DDY's solo songs much of a success. If there were, he would not have to be a faux Styx band. TYHAT is my point.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest