DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby Bearded Clam » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm

So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Postby gr8dane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:54 am

Renegade and Blue Collar Man.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 am

Bearded Clam wrote:So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?


I heard that Dennis is adding A Criminal Mind to the set list because it was so successful for Gowan. 8)
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby Everett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 am

Boomchild wrote:
Bearded Clam wrote:So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?


I heard that Dennis is adding A Criminal Mind to the set list because it was so successful for Gowan. 8)


Nah that song is rocker. Dennis only sings ballads 8)

Seriously though would be cool if he did best thing again.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby masque » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:05 am

Everett wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Bearded Clam wrote:So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?


I heard that Dennis is adding A Criminal Mind to the set list because it was so successful for Gowan. 8)


Nah that song is rocker. Dennis only sings ballads 8)

Seriously though would be cool if he did best thing again.


screw "best thing".....bring out "22 years" and let one of the new guys trade off the vocals and to do JY's part.
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby Everett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:32 am

masque wrote:
Everett wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Bearded Clam wrote:So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?


I heard that Dennis is adding A Criminal Mind to the set list because it was so successful for Gowan. 8)


Nah that song is rocker. Dennis only sings ballads 8)

Seriously though would be cool if he did best thing again.


screw "best thing".....bring out "22 years" and let one of the new guys trade off the vocals and to do JY's part.


That would be a cool tune for jimmy. I bet he would kill half
penny two penny.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby Bearded Clam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:39 am

22 Years would be pretty sweet.
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Postby Archetype » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 am

Christopher, Mr. Christopher
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Passion's Killing Floor

Postby Bearded Clam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 am

another good one
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Postby Everett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:32 am

Serpent Is rising 8)
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby DarrenUK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Music Time
User avatar
DarrenUK
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:22 am
Location: Palm Bay, Florida

Postby Everett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 am

DarrenUK wrote:Music Time


I wouldn't wish that tune on my worst enemy.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:43 am

Everett wrote:Serpent Is rising 8)


The serpent rose and found the lost gem.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby gr8dane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Good show then?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby Bearded Clam » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 am

Great show, I was very impressed. Dennis sounded good, his voice was very strong, the harmonies were tight throughout. Both guitarists were fantastic.
Some points that I can recall:
Loved seeing Born For Adventure live. The guitar duel, I think it was during the extended ending for Rockin the Paradise was cool. My Son and I absolutley loved the Beatles " The End", the harmonies were nice. Not wasting time with the encore nonsense was a welcome change. Instead, Dennis said " let's just pretend we went off the to the side and waited while you clapped until we came back".
I thought August sounded great on the Tommy songs and he's a hell of a guitarist. The extended solo by the other guy at the end of Desert Moon was great.
Here's a point that I'm sure some will disagree; I thought this drummer fit the Styx sound better than Todd. I know that Todd is an incredible drummer, but he's too good. No disrespect to JP, but he was a bit stiff-armed and had a very distinct style. I thought this drummer matched that a bit. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's cool.

also, the venue has several bars so a lot of people were bombed. During the whole show many would walk right up to the stage during a song with a pen and something to sign and held it up until Dennis was forced to sign while singing. I was wondering where was security?
And Nerdy guy with the Paradise Theater album, if you are lurking, you were a riot.

Overall, after seeing Styx many times since 96, it was nice seeing some changes to some of the songs. I half expected August to sing " as long as JY is buying" during TMTOMH".

Oh and the Opening Act, some guy on an acoustic name Mooboo or something, had a nice voice but his songs kinda sucked.
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Postby Everett » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 am

Any chance he did the intro to father osa before blue collar man?
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby Archetype » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm

I've always been very impressed with Dennis's band. I'm glad that someone else feels the way that I do about the drumming. Tom Sharpe does a great job and he's perfect for Styx music. He adds his own element to the music, but respects what John did before him. I like how he uses the chimes, rain stick. etc.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Passion's Killing Floor

Postby Bearded Clam » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 pm

yeah, I noticed that, very cool
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Postby Bearded Clam » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am

I also noticed that Dennis snuck in a bit of Sing For the Day in on the keys, I forgot during what song it was, maybe the end of Fooling Yourself?
User avatar
Bearded Clam
45 RPM
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: DDY tomorrow night, Long Island

Postby G.I.Jim » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am

Boomchild wrote:
Bearded Clam wrote:So, can i expect any long lost Gems tomorrow? Is there an opening act?


I heard that Dennis is adding A Criminal Mind to the set list because it was so successful for Gowan. 8)


Yeah, he would need to sing a Gowan hit because he doesn't have any of his own... :roll: :lol: :lol:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3
 
Posts: 10081
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Your Momma's house

Postby Everett » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 am

Bearded Clam wrote:I also noticed that Dennis snuck in a bit of Sing For the Day in on the keys, I forgot during what song it was, maybe the end of Fooling Yourself?


Yup foolin yourself.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby styxfanNH » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 am

That show rocked. Travelled from NH to NY for Fridays show and to VA for the Symphony show.

Born for Adventure was great.

Security was non-existent.

I was surprised Dennis signed the Styx stuff, he hasn't in the past. (Beach ball and Disc/Frisbee).

August does a great job on Tommy's songs and Jimmy (the other guitarist) absolutely knocks that Desert Moon solo out of the park.

This band is a roc band and is very different than the Hank / Tommy D shows of several years ago.

This summer you can see 70 minutes of Styx (10 of which will likely be a Damn Yankees song) or 2 hours at Dennis' show.

Just as entertaining, the wider span of what Styx's music is and no Miss America....

I'll see both this summer at least once. But Dennis will give you the wider catalog.
www.styxtoury.com
Concert Dates, articles, and more
styxfanNH
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:39 am
Location: NH

Postby Abitaman » Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 am

styxfanNH wrote:That show rocked. Travelled from NH to NY for Fridays show and to VA for the Symphony show.



I was surprised Dennis signed the Styx stuff, he hasn't in the past. (Beach ball and Disc/Frisbee).
.


I saw DDY a few years back and got to meet him, kind of freaked out for a minute, since I was wearing a Styx shirt. If was from one of his tours with the band. He was very cool about it, and joked about it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby styxfanNH » Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 am

Abitaman wrote:
styxfanNH wrote:That show rocked. Travelled from NH to NY for Fridays show and to VA for the Symphony show.



I was surprised Dennis signed the Styx stuff, he hasn't in the past. (Beach ball and Disc/Frisbee).
.


I saw DDY a few years back and got to meet him, kind of freaked out for a minute, since I was wearing a Styx shirt. If was from one of his tours with the band. He was very cool about it, and joked about it.


I have always seen him sign Styx stuff that he was associated with. This was the first time I saw him sign stuff from the current lineup.
www.styxtoury.com
Concert Dates, articles, and more
styxfanNH
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:39 am
Location: NH

Postby RumTumJM » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

I too was at this show, & I thought Dennis sounded incredible. Since I had last seen him in 2009, this was my 1st time seeing the new line-up. Sure, he always put on a solid show & sounded GREAT! But having August & Jimmy up front seems to have added a new dynamic...A GOOD ONE. Dennis was dancing around & simply seemed to be having more fun than I remember. And, none of this got in the way of his singing & his command of the stage. BRAVO!

The best parts were the roar from the crowd after he brought down the house with Suite Madame Blue, the Come Sail Away sing along, & when he held the mic to 2 young girls at the stage, during The Best Of Times (they knew all the words!)

However, I must say that I disagree with some of the comments made about Tom Sharpe. I understand that Todd has more of a hard rock style & that John Panozzo had a unique, "stiff handed" style. However, I remember thinking multiple times that Tom just didn't seem tight. Some of his fills & rhythms seemed a little messy, to my ears. If he could combine his style with Todd's dexterity & precision, he could easily be the best Styx replacement drummer.

Overall, though, it was an incredible show. Not too shabby for a 65 year old! And finally hearing Born For Adventure (my favorite Styx song) was worth the price of admission, alone!
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby Toph » Thu May 03, 2012 1:48 am

styxfanNH wrote:

and no Miss America....



Worth the price of admission alone....
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Zan » Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 am

Toph wrote:
styxfanNH wrote:

and no Miss America....



Worth the price of admission alone....



Hey Toph - Ricky Martin doesn't do that one either. Have you gotten your season passes yet?
-Zan :)

believe me, i know my Styx

Image

Shiny things
User avatar
Zan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3662
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:24 am
Location: PARADISE

Postby Toph » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 am

Zan wrote:
Toph wrote:
styxfanNH wrote:

and no Miss America....



Worth the price of admission alone....



Hey Toph - Ricky Martin doesn't do that one either. Have you gotten your season passes yet?


Miss America sucks - Styx think people like it but it sucks.
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Boomchild » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Toph wrote:
Zan wrote:
Toph wrote:
styxfanNH wrote:

and no Miss America....



Worth the price of admission alone....



Hey Toph - Ricky Martin doesn't do that one either. Have you gotten your season passes yet?


Miss America sucks - Styx think people like it but it sucks.


The only reason it is still in their set list is because JY sings lead. Delete that and the songs he sings lead on becomes even shorter then it is now.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Postby gr8dane » Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
Zan wrote:
Toph wrote:
styxfanNH wrote:

and no Miss America....



Worth the price of admission alone....



Hey Toph - Ricky Martin doesn't do that one either. Have you gotten your season passes yet?


Miss America sucks - Styx think people like it but it sucks.


The only reason it is still in their set list is because JY sings lead. Delete that and the songs he sings lead on becomes even shorter then it is now.


Is that like,if you have a platter with 8 peanut butter jelly sandwiches and you eat one,you'll have less than you had before?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Next

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest